Weird animal found. What is this?

Weird animal found. What is this?

I found this weird dead animal on my front steps. It looks like a small monkey creature. With human eyes. Any ideas?

Victor Mackey
Aug '17

Looks like a Wizard of Oz monkey!
I'm guessing a baby opossum?

Would you happen to live by Grand Ave? I heard a weird howling (very high pitched) in my yard the other night. Then I saw what appeared to be a small squirrel eating mice. Perhaps this was it

TheGoldengoose
Aug '17

sure looks like a monkey to me

Randy Randy
Aug '17

It looks like an injured baby squirrel to me - needs care

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

thats a squirrel

Did you say the squirrel was eating mice?? Sorry 4catmom the little guy whatever it is was found dead :(

Victor Mackey
Aug '17

That doesn't look like a possom tail. I'd agree not only with the baby squirrel but also injured. Looks like maybe a dog got a hold of it. Two good sized sets of teeth marks.

4catmom - I believe Victor already said "dead", so there isn't much that can be helped now.

How big is it? My best guess is a very young (like 5 weeks) flying squirrel. But it would have to be very small. If that's a normal maple leaf in the background, it would make the animal too big to be a young flying squirrel.

4cat - it looks odd to be an Eastern Grey, right? I've never seen one look like this.

It actually kind of looks like a marmoset which aren't native to NJ of course, but some people keep as pets.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Please contact township and find out what this is. I am positive that is not an opposum. Please keep us updated when you have it identified

Definitely looks like a baby Proboscis Monkey..not native to North America. Someone must have been keeping this as a pet..they could get in a lot of trouble for having one of these.

Scarlet H.
Aug '17

I maintain it is a badly injured - maimed young squirrel.............hence the distorted head and more

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

Omg. Totally looks like some kind if monkey. I don't know what to say. I dont think its a possum. I also dont think its a squirrel. How sad.

kikinj kikinj
Aug '17

I was driving on Willow Grove by Doctors Park this am on my way to NAPA. A hawk or maybe an owl flew in front of me, struggling with the weight of whatever he had in his talons. He dropped it on someones front lawn, in front of their front steps. when I drove back past, I could still see the animal on the lawn. Thought to myself, well someone's going to have a nice present when they walk out today! Was that you?

Brian Green
Aug '17

I definitely feel it was some kind of monkey. The more I look at picture that is not a squirrel nor is it a possum. Wow. Maybe someone's pet . Totally looks like monkey.

kikinj kikinj
Aug '17

Whatever it is- poor little dude.

Monkeys have hands with fingers. That poor thing looks like it has paws.

Walker Walker
Aug '17

Definitely looks monkey-ish:(

Blackcat Blackcat
Aug '17

Poor thing....definitely a monkey

How sad

Summer Summer
Aug '17

I bet its a deformed or mutated animal. Didn't survive or was killed by its mother. Bet it turns out something common, like a dog.
I do hope you find the answer and its not the first sighting of a monster.

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '17

i think it may be a baby squirrel

ggreen ggreen
Aug '17

I would defiantly call animal control and maybe they can identity it. Looks monkey ish but also looks some what squirrel.

Mom25 Mom25
Aug '17

Re: Weird animal found. What is this?

For sure....baby squirrel

Please....a monkey...REALLY???

Notice the face resemblance

Darrin Darrin
Aug '17

I'll agree with Roywhite. It's a dog. LMFAO

Not Scott
Aug '17

Darrins baby squirrels are so cute!

baby squirrels in care at Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary - see the resemblance?

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

You all need to stop taking this so lightly. I don't know what we're dealing with here. We could be dealing with an outbreak. If I'm not mistaken wasn't there an anaconda in Lake Hopatcong a year or so ago?? I don't want my kids getting but just saying.

Victor Mackey
Aug '17

Anaconda Shmanaconda That was all a bunch of nonsense.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '17

Victor is correct, the last herpetologist they sent to check out the snake went missing. This looks like a baby Chupacabra to me, the end times are near.

Denis Denis
Aug '17

The result of eating Monsanto corn.

happiest girl
Aug '17

Yes it's a baby gray squirrel

Or a baby fox squirrel

Thank you Denis.

Victor Mackey
Aug '17

The shape of the head is wrong for a squirrel. Compare the slope of the nose to the forehead on these two images. They are nothing alike. If this is a baby squirrel, it must have had a serious congenital deformation.

Baby squirrel --->

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Victor's find ---->

Victor states that the eyes look "human." The likely reason he states this is that the eyes appear to face forward, like a primate/human, not out to the sides. This is why many are also saying monkey.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Rebecka! Thank you for pointing that out. Somethings fishy. I'm going to take a better look at it tomorrow and give you all an update. I will post more pictures if possible!

Victor Mackey
Aug '17

Showing Sclera - interesting.

Flying squirrel - nope?
They have webbing like a bat...almost look like bats.

The poor thing certainly looks like a baby squirrel. Many baby animals look very different until they reach maturity.

positive positive
Aug '17

Also like to add that this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've read.

"Outbreak". Really?

positive positive
Aug '17

I saw two of these things run across my yard a few days ago!! They hopped on their back legs like kangaroos! I thought I had drunk too much and convinced myself they were just bunnies! Ill be keeping an eye on this to see if you figure it out.

Luna
Aug '17

It does look like a deformed or premie squirrel.
But I'm sticking with monster.
Trumps fault, real news.

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '17

Just call animal control they will be able
To confirm what it is by texting a picture

Nosila Nosila
Aug '17

after a consult - we think it's a flying squrirel with an injured or deformed head/face
they are quite a bit smaller than our regular grey squirrels

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

Rebecka is 100% right about the slope of the nose. Maybe send some pics to Fish and Wildlife and see if they have a clue! Can't wait to get the results.

Martha Martha
Aug '17

Looks like a squirrel with a serious congenital deformity. Let us know what you find out!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

The head probably looks deformed because it was mangled during the death process. It's a squirrel.

Walker Walker
Aug '17

It's a baby "flying" squirrel. They do not "fly", they glide because of a web type membrane under their arms. They have huge eyes, small but moderately bushy tails and are absolutely harmless and certainly not monsters! They are very similar to sugar babies, which people keep as pets. We have many on our property (Great Meadows area) and they are not destructive, but they are fun to watch.

Checked with the director of Antler Ridge wildlife sanctuary. Definitely a baby grey squirrel. With a deformed head

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

Check for a green card. It could be the next Alien invasion have a good day all I have no idea what it is

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '17

It is a squirrel with severe genetic defects, probably abandoned by it's mother to ensure her own survival... that's nature. Nothing to see here, folks.

so710 so710
Aug '17

I think it might be a real life "puppybabymonkey"!!!!

Open Minded Open Minded
Aug '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.