Reverend Brown School in Sparta

I was wondering if any families in their send their children to Reverend Brown. I am trying to figure out travel times and would love some input from any families with experience.
Thanks

3forme 3forme
Aug '17

My friend's daughter attended Reverend Brown, and unfortunately travel time was longer than anticipated. Travel was particularly difficult with inclement weather, since the school rarely closes or delays in bad weather. My friend also mentioned that there was quite a bit of traffic on the backroads, and congestion at the school with traffic backed up nearly every morning. I would look into other less expensive and more accommodating private schools.

Brooke Brooke
Aug '17

With snow days and delays, Reverend Brown students follow their district. If Hackettstown is delayed, then so is the Hackettstown student attending RB. If Hackettstown is closed, then the Hackettstown student doesn't come to school.

observer3 observer3
Aug '17

apparently some believe the school should now be accountable for the distance they choose to send their child to school............perhaps consider moving closer.

common sense does not interject itself..

Steven Steven
Aug '17

brooke. by the way school closings/delays are judged by the sending district. They do not close nor close. The only time they are closed is when SPARTA is closed. Please get your facts

privateschool
Aug '17

I shared this with my friend, and she did explain that Reverend Brown honors the sending districts' schedule with inclement weather, as you mentioned. However, she said that became problematic, because although her daughter was excused if her home district was delayed or dismissed early, it was made clear that academic instruction still continued for the students that were there. Her daughter was responsible for making up missed work when her home district was delayed or closed early, and often missed out on new concepts that were presented.

Brooke Brooke
Aug '17

Brooke - how often does that happen that Hackettstown is closed and Sparta isn't? I'm willing to wager it's not very often.

That's definitely a drawback if you choose to send your child to a private school, but it's hardly the school's fault. The child can always be driven to school by a parent.

Many storms start after a child is in school. Have you ever driven to Reverend Brown? If so, you would know what my friend went through picking up or taking her child to that school. Lots of back roads hilly and icy in bad weather. Everyone makes the choice that works for them.

Brooke Brooke
Aug '17

Brooke,

Of course I have - I went there :)

It's unfortunate for your friend that she didn't think it through, but I still contend it isn't the school's fault. Not sure how else they can be accommodating.

Thanks for the feedback about school closings, it's appreciated.

3forme 3forme
Aug '17

I had 2 kids go all through Reverend Brown and than PJ. You want a great school and your kids get in try it . Don't listen to all these negative remarks about weather. Why are you worried about storms that haven't happened. If it doesn't work just go back to your local school system.

Just a thought.. There is a fantastic catholic school in East Stroudsberg called Notre Dame Elementary. They have a bus driver (full size school bus) pick up kids in Hackettstown and drive them to P.A. (right over the border). Driver is always on time Tuition is less too.

helpingmom helpingmom
Aug '17

My kids currently attend Recerend Brown and Pope John. There are multiple bus stops between Hackettstown, Great Meadows and Long Valley. We follow the Allamuchy busing schedule,. Yes if school is closed for Allamuchy then you can drive your child to school, it is your choice, but this is a very rare occurrence that this happens. There are so many kids that come from all over NJ there are always multiple kids coming in late from a delay. This is really not an issue so I would waste time focusing on it. Kids are excused if busing isn't available and everything is online so they can do their homework at home. Wonderful school system I highly recommend it! My kids have been going there for over 8yrs. I am so grateful I have been able to provide my children with this education, if you are able to I highly recommend it. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I can even provide you with busing details if you are interested.

Catholic School Mom Catholic School Mom
Aug '17

We looked at a few schools in the area and decided to send out children to Reverend Brown. I really was impressed with the teachers and staff.

Catholic School Mom I sent you a PM.

3forme 3forme
Aug '17

The Catholic schools are one big family. They really take ownership of the education for your child. While focusing on a challenging curriculum they provide a living and caring environment. The challenging curriculum enabled my child to score extremely high on standardized tests. Teachers are always available for extra help before and after classes. The Uniforms are a blessing kids looks great wearing them; children learn respect at an early age. Most who enroll “stay the course”. Well worth any sacrifices you may have to make. Proud to be a catholic school parent.

Janet C Janet C
Feb '19

I am considering Catholic schools for my children. Does anyone know if there is busing for St. Joseph’s (Mendham), St. Therese (Ledgewood) or Rev Brown exists around here?

Rmmjs Rmmjs
Feb '19

Reverend Brown PJ Middle and Pope John High School all have buses that run from Allamuchy, Hackettstown, Great Meadows and Long Valley.

Catholic School Mom Catholic School Mom
Feb '19

My kids are in their second year at Reverend Brown . We looked at other schools but really loved RB. If you have any questions feel free to reach out!

3forme 3forme
Feb '19

I believe St. Joseph's offers a bus from the Schooley's Mountain Firehouse.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Feb '19

What’s the tuition cost these days?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Feb '19

You can find tuition fees on their website. Currently it’s $6700

Dolce_Vita Dolce_Vita
Feb '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.