Monchy's?

Has anyone tried out Monchy's yet? Saw they were open yesterday.

Where is it located?

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Jul '17

It's the old Antojitos & Panaderia om Main St. which had taken over for the various incarnations of the Turkish place - Kaptan, etc. It's between the current C&L and Hackettstown Chinese.

Last I had seen they weren't quite ready but will try it out soon and report.

Oh cool. I've been looking forward to this place opening. They have some other locations and the menu and reviews look good.
www.Monchysgrill.com

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Jul '17

Went there today for lunch and the food, atmosphere, and service were great. Lots of choices on the menu. My wife and i both had arepas and shared plantain tostones. I had a coconut lemonade to drink. Good stuff, will definitely be back. They said they are getting take out menus tomorrow and will be starting delivery service.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Jul '17

They sound yummy!!!

Jul '17

went there Friday, had a burger and my friend had an omlette. the place is great, service was good and wide variety on the menu. décor is nice and staff is friendly. definitely will be going back more than once.

dylanjoe1 dylanjoe1
Jul '17

Ate lunch there today. Had omelet and coffee. Very good. Will bring my wife there in a day or two. I like it!

Leonard Hunt Leonard Hunt
Jul '17

Re: Monchy's?

Definitely one of the best places to eat! This is Arepa

Busymom Busymom
Jul '17

Awesome food , service, clean, nice atmosphere and very good unique menu varieties. I have been there twice and both times were great.

Gloria
Jul '17

I thought everything was great, except the food mediocre.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Jul '17

Here you go Scottso, your perfect place, everything great except the food (mediocre) .

eapos eapos
Jul '17

Clean and nicely remodeled. Menu is good 'Unless' you are a Vegetarian. I saw nothing on the menu other than a salad which can be obtained at any restaurant. Please, Monchy's, add a Veggie Burger or Veggie Sandwich or Veggie Pannini or something else a Vegetarian can eat.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '17

You can't expect there to be a number of vegetarian meals at every place. You either eat salad, go to a vegatarian restaurant, or cook at home. Your body needs meat- go eat some.

Overturn Overturn
Jul '17

Overturn: Ha Ha Ha; thanks for the laugh!!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '17

What a ridiculous statement Overturn. There are more Vegetarians now than ever and smart business owners should know this.

Your body needs veges--go eat some.

positive positive
Jul '17

vile weeds

fire251 fire251
Jul '17

Hope Monchy's goes public, I'm in!

Meanwhile enjoy what might become America's next fast food spot while it's still somewhat unique.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '17

Thx Eapos I'll have to give it a try.

Agree the veggie heads need to get over themselves. It's so cute when they try to make stuff into meat. FYI a portabella mushroom, tofu, soy or veggies pounded into a burger shape is not as good as beef. Speaking of which where has happiest girl been?

Scottso Scottso
Jul '17

They have a cheese quesadilla, a corn cake with cheese and a egg dish with onions and tomatoes listed on the menu. Vegans can't eat that, but a vegetarian can.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Scottso, the Portabello mushroom made like a burger is pretty good though.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '17

I'll have to put this on new places to try now. Thanks everyone!

Scottso

From some posts I've seen, "happiest girl" may have renamed herself.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

Phil D - Its easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback. Some of the people you most expect, don't. And some you don't, do. Your suspicions in this case are misplaced. No need to falsely accuse.

As for Monchy's, they were hoppin' busy this afternoon. They managed to keep up even if the food was understandably slower than usual. I ordered a chicken cheese arepa and the Monchy burger. I'm glad the arepa had cheese because the whole overall combination worked, but if it were just the shredded chicken on its own it could have been a bit dry. (even if tasty)

The burger is something else - an everyday burger patty but topped with cheese, sloppy slaw, bacon tasty sliced pork, sweet pineapple, and topped with a fried egg on a good bun. The fries are crispy and not the crinkle cuts you see in the menu's picture at all. Much better than that.

They did good.

I want to try that mega-arepa next. The one with beef and chorizo goodness all wrapped in a corn cake. ;-)

Beautiful stone counter top too. Antojitos did a great job remodeling, and this is only another upgrade from there. Very sleek modern feel to it.

My mouth is watering GC.....

positive positive
Jul '17

GC

Thanks for clarifying that she hasn't. Maybe she's on vacation, isn't well (hopefully not the case), or is taking a break from here like I did for a number of years due to the contentiousness of the time. BUT I wasn't trying to falsely accuse, just stating that a (possibly newer) poster seems to have a similar style and attitude, so she "may have", which is why I didn't give out any ID name. THAT, would have been accusatory.

That looks like a yummy burger. Thanks for the picture! That's definitely confirms why they'll have to be on my list. My buddy from work & I will have to put it on our list to check out next. If it's anything like the last place we went to on Friday, then Woo-doggone-Hoo!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

You didn't sound accusatory at all Phil.

Scottso Scottso
Jul '17

LOL!!!

Just living the good life .... visiting lots of friends & family this summer, and having lots of good eats along the way!
Had a good brunch at Bistro SK in City Island, and dinner in Edgewater at Haven.
Both have good vegetarian food.
While in Philly we went to The Tasty for lunch, and had a great evening at Charlie Was A Sinner.
Monchy's sounds good -- will probably try it this week.

happiest girl
Jul '17

stopped at monchys today and had what I thought was the best hamburger in the Hackettstown area.came with a side of very tasty and fresh fries.the wings were also top shelf.my new favorite place for a burger

We ate at Monchy's on Saturday afternoon. We went around 2:30 and it was pretty full! Thought the food was good and will definitely be back to try new things.

We had lunch at Monchy's over the weekend. Good stuff. The Monchy burger is easily the best burger in town.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '17

MB - If you were there for about a half hour, then you would have seen me getting take out. I was there right about 3:00. Very packed.

Went Sunday afternoon with family and it was packed. Had to sit at the counter which wasn't a bad thing. Food was fresh, delicious and came out FAST! I had the "Bistec Encebollado" grilled steak topped with carmelized onions and rice. Love that unique salad they give you! My wife had the 14 oz sirloin steak and loved it. Seasoned and cooked to perfection. Yes, we'll be back to try other items on the menu. They also have locations in Dover and Elizabeth.

Gene and I just ate at Monchy's tonight and enjoyed the Monchy Burger and the Lemonade. Great fries too. Great menu!!!

Jul '17

We all ordered lunch there today. Absolutely delicious! It is now one of our favorite places to order from!

KathyR KathyR
Jul '17

I had the arepa monchys for lunch yesterday. Good stuff.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '17

I've been to Monchy's three times in less than a month. I am pleasantly surprised with the food there. I am of Venezuelan descent (Venezuelans have arepas as a staple in their diet) and the arepas are very good as are other Colombian platters I have tried there. My teenage sons like it when I take them there because there are burgers and chicken fingers and other "American " food choices (as they do not want to expand their food palate), I've had the "cafe con leche" and was not impressed...if you want good spanish style coffee, go to the Colombian Bakery near Marley's.

Monchy's needs work on service though. The staff is very friendly but they are a bit overwhelmed at times and it is clearly noticeable. Food is quick to come out (so far) and overall I am very happy with the delicious arepas available to me whenever I'm in the mood for them.

I wish them luck.

Judith Judith
Jul '17

Yum! The Coconut lemonade was great as was my "California burger," Avocado, bacon, lettuce and tomato on a great tasting beef patty with a nice fresh bun. Very good!

Heidi Heidi
Jul '17

What's funny is when people who make fun of vegetarians get colon cancer.

ChrisisFake ChrisisFake
Jul '17

The location in Dover is great. Can't wait to try this one!

KingCoriander KingCoriander
Jul '17

Yeah, real funny Chris. {not}

Stymie Stymie
Jul '17

Friday I went to Monchy's with two buddies from work, "T." had an "Arepa Monchy's" & a Coke, "A." had a "Rancho Burger" & a Raspberry Iced Tea, and I had a "Monchy's Sampler" with a Raspberry Iced Tea.

All three of us loved the atmosphere and the service. The food came pretty quickly and all three of us proclaimed it delicious. "A." thought the burger was one of the best, if not the best one he's had and "T." loved his Arepa. Both "A." and I loved the "Stash" Brand Fruit Teas we drank. They were flavorful and tasty. I thought the Sampler was great with various meats, including some small slices of sausage, mini potatoes, sliced tomato and lime wedges, Yucca slices and smashed Plantains. There was enough there that I took almost half of it home with me to reheat for Saturday!

The two flatscreen TVs were showing 80's music videos when we got there around four and they switched over to Latino (I believe - possibly Columbian & other SA. They didn't seem to be Mexican from what I've seen before) Music videos around 5pm, which we also enjoyed until we settled up the check with our waiter and left, both content and full!

Great job by all there - we'll definitely be back there again!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

Anyone know their hours? I don't see anything listed on their website. Is it just breakfast and lunch, or are they open for dinner as well?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Calico - They're open every night until 10:00 except on Fri & Sat they're open until 11:00.

Thanks.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Anyone know if there's anything on the menu people sensitive to gluten can eat? Someone mentioned omelets, but anything else?

I'd love to try this place but my fiancé has Celiacs and their online menu is too blurry to read easily.

MsMichelle MsMichelle
Aug '17

They have many platters with steak and veggies, plantains, fish, chicken, etc. Really none of their items have gluten unless you get topandas or a burger with a bun.

Heidi Heidi
Aug '17

Going to try Monchy's tonight. Can you BYOB there?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Why not if they don't have a liquor license.

I actually called, they said we can't BYOB. :-( Oh well, will have to have a couple at Man Skirt first.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

If you're going to Man Skirt - work in reverse. Get all your food and then take it over to the brewery and eat there.

Good call GC. Not sure why I didn't think of that! Doh!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Man Skirt is always doing that - they generally have all the menus there and have food delivered for themselves. Czig too. They all cooperate with each other.

Food is great and I will be back now that I'm trained. But don't believe the "we deliver" signs in the breweries. Nope.

Need to speak better English though. Impossible to call in order. For takeout, not enough napkins, no utensils in bag and almost impossible to eat messy burgers without them. Now we know but made for uncomfortable camping experience for takeout to pub.

Would have called to critique but.......

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '17

So the food was great, but there was a small issue with the ordering. We went in and placed our order. Were told 20 minutes. My husband gave his name and said that we would be back. We went to Man Skirt. 20 minutes later, my husband went back to pick up. They said they had no order for his name. After a few minutes of confusion, they located the order. It was under "Americano" which is kind of silly since my husband spoke to them in Spanish and his Spanish is pretty good. Lol. The other issue was, I ordered a chicken and cheese arepa and asked if it came with fries because it didn't say that it did. If it didn't I was going to order a side of fries. I was told it came with fries. When I opened the box, no fries. It was ok because there were more than enough fries with my husband's California cheeseburger for us to share. But sill, incorrect info.

That said, it was a tasty meal and we will definitely be back.

The beer at Man Skirt was excellent, as usual, and it's so nice seeing Joe!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

We went to Monchy's on Friday night. I never asked about BYOB, but I brought in a growler from Czig and they didn't give us a hard time (and they provided glasses). Food was really good (we had an aprea, a burger and an empanada) and the server was very friendly. We'll go back for sure!

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Aug '17

Wow "Americano", really? And no one is upset by reverse racism? If this were a white restaurant establishment and the bag read "Mexicans" or something worse it would be deemed highly unacceptable. It's amazing what we've grown to tolerate and bend over backwards for in this country. Didn't Starbucks just undergo some criticism when a server labeled the cup with derogatory remarks. Not saying "Americano" is derogatory, but in this society is the server marked the bag "Asian" or "Mexican" it would be classified as a racial slur providing the owner was white. All other races seem to get away with this just fine.

Ate here last week, food was good, agree on everyone else's assessment that wait staff barely knows English and the service was mediocre for not being that busy.

Mickey Mickey
Aug '17

Did anyone else who ordered take out notice a 47¢ "to go" charge on their receipt? I took out for lunch and I was surprised to see I was charged for the take out. Assumed it was for the Styrofoam container? Idk. Just wondering.

weebiekins weebiekins
Aug '17

weebiekins

The Burger King on Rt. 46 in Parsippany used to charge a "take out" charge back in the 80's. Couldn't get it refunded when we ate there, noticed the charge, then asked about it and about getting it refunded. Needless to say, we never ate there again.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '17

Had dinner there last night.

Place is nice inside and staff were good and attentive. Really enjoyed the food, though next time will try to order things a little on the healthier side as the items we had yesterday were all fried and/or were full of meats.

Definitely will be adding this in to the rotation of local places to get food at.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '17

Try the mango lemonade! so refreshing!

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Sep '17

Love love love the food at this place, but they really need to work on their phone skills. My friends and I have been ordering take out from there since they opened. Every time we call it is an ordeal to place the order. At first we would order in English, but it became very clear that they did not speak English and it was very hard to place the order. So, we started would order in Spanish. Now my Spanish is not great, but I know how to pronounce arepa con pollo, empanada de queso, tostones, etc. So I would order in Spanish. Every time the person on the other end would listen to my Spanish order, then try to repeat it in English and it would still be wrong. So ordering in Spanish now ends up MORE confusing. I don't know why they don't just repeat the order in Spanish. They DO eventually end up getting the order right, just with a lot of back and forth- its really annoying and actually makes me not order from there as much. Good for my waistline, bad for their pocketbook.

Jackie-O Jackie-O
Oct '17

Etch and I had dinner here Friday night and lunch on Monday. Friday was so packed we had to sit at the bar. We brought a bottle of wine with us. The service was quick and amazing for such a busy night. The food was UNBELIVAbLE!! We had signature meals: Monchy burger and a arepa. Both were beyond great but that burger was piled high and should be featured for Anthony Bordain!! It's perfect with egg, ham, cheese, bacon, haystack fries, coleslaw, corn, pineapple and medium rare burg. I just cannot describe how perfect the meal and service was! Monday same experience. Same burger bc it's that's good. And a nice salad. We played the tag out game..:.we each order a signature meal and when some says tag out we switch plates! Needless to say we were tagging out often! Dessert is heaven on earth..from shakes to crepes!

Jeanette Jeanette
Oct '17

I don't know why we waited so long, but we finally ate there tonight. VERY GOOD! We will be back!

Deviljet
Jan '18

Anyone have a menu they could post or email me? The one online is under maintenance

Menu under maintenance? Probably means prices are going up!

Neddie DiBenidetto
Feb '18

or maybe they are adding online ordering which would be awesome

Order On Line is an option when you Google their site.

Or maybe they are going to be honest on their menus and let people know that their arepas taste like cardboard.

;)

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Feb '18

We must be eating at different restaurants, Devilsfan!

Seenit
Feb '18

If you like top quality beef on your burger then skip Monchy's. My burger there was thin and cooked too much, think hockey puck. If you like a stack of other stuff to cover up the fact that the burger is small and of low quality then Monchy's has you covered. The sausage had good flavor but too much gristle, again low quality is how I see it.

Wow CBGB, I wonder if they changed suppliers or something. The burger my husband had there last summer was juicy and very good.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '18

We must be, seenit. Because the only thing more cardboard-y in flavor and texture than their arepas is matzoh.

DevilsFan DevilsFan
Feb '18

They have delicious empanadas. I really enjoyed them. Haven't tried anything else tho, except there lemonade but was $4.50 .. a bit pricey for a small. But still good

MrsZiggy MrsZiggy
Mar '18

We ate there recently loved it and thought everything was absolutely great. We couldn’t believe we hadn’t tried it sooner. Burgers were great.

Nicholas
Mar '18

I haven't eaten there in awhile but both times I ate there the food was good.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

Daughter and son in law dropped off the kids today and went uptown to get some food to bring to one of the breweries. They went to Monchys and got some empanadas and quesadillas. They said the empanadas were hard and the cheese in the quesadillas was not a totality melted. For what its worth, they were disappointed.

My friends from work and I have eaten there perhaps 4 or 5 times, including just a few weeks ago and have never had any issues. Of course it's easier to just point at menu items when asking for them if there's any question of miscommunication due to language differences. I'm very surprised that CBGB got a thin hockey puck burger, as my buddies love the nice juicy burgers, the flavored lemonades & other drinks. We've never been served anything that seemed remotely questionable and it's all been delicious. We'd probably go there more often, but we don't wish to cut any of the other fine places we've eaten out of the "rotation". Perhaps they were trying out a new cook or something.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '18

Has anyone else noticed how narrow the walkway is in front of monchys. We walk our dogs around town ever night and it seams so tight there and that load spanish music. If someone was siting on the town bench out front no one could pass.

Dog walker Dog walker
Apr '18

Yes they moved out even farther than other times, and the umbrellas are in the corners now and when they are open its even worse

Hillary
Apr '18

Oh no! People having fun and enjoying themselves... Shut it down! Clear the sidewalk!

Geez, expand your horizons past Applebee’s. Get some culture.

YeahRight YeahRight
Apr '18

I thought there were two sides to that street. If you don't want to hear "load" Hispanic music it "seams" to me you could just avoid it by crossing the street and walking. Annoyance removed, seems simple and I didn't even have get loud or use "ever" word I thought of saying.

Looked like tents and people outside Man Skirt last night, hope DogWalker and Hillary weren’t downtown and inconvenienced.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Apr '18

Mk you are right I could walk the other side still does not solve the problem of blocking the wall way now does it. And nature lover you are right but an occasional thing is a lot different then it being like that 24 _ 7..... Hillary you are right I saw a guy yesterday hot his head on that umbrella.

Dog walker Dog walker
Apr '18

There is a town ordinance 12-70 which expressly prohibits obstruction of sidewalks and streets.....

Have any of you ever been to Europe... most cities, villages, in the nice weather have umbrellas and tables on sidewalks ( many of which are cobblestone street ..talk about accidents) and it seems nobody complains about them the way people complain about things over here. People take responsibility for themselves, they are not always looking at town ordinances or to sue. It’s called enjoying life.

Apr '18

Geez, drop the hall monitor act. Leave the clipboard at home. And, most importantly, watch out for those walls and hot heads! ;)

YeahRight YeahRight
Apr '18

It is not being a hall monitor its more of a safety monitor. Today is a perfect example of why when you see the umbrella hanging over the stupid banners. maybe when someone gets hurt because of it. then the town or the person walking by will be at fault..

karren karren
Apr '18

Yes, because we need those who know what’s best for us to save us from ourselves.

YeahRight YeahRight
Apr '18

Oh please, this is so stupid ..it’s an Umbrella, If a person can’t take responsibility for less than the minute it takes to avoid it, then how do they get through the day I wonder, avoiding all the obstacles out there. Find something else to do with your time.

Apr '18

Are you kidding me... I sometimes go to the deli over there C&L. There's plenty of room to walk by Monchy's. SMDH...

Metsman Metsman
Apr '18

I guess karren missed it yesterday afternoon when Monchy’s owner/staff was blocking the parking spots in front of their building with chairs.

Get the sticks out of your butt and keep your head up when walking. That way, you can depend on your eyes and legs to help you safely navigate the perils of Main Street.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '18

I would love to see little tables in front of Munchies . We should do a New York kind of thing.

Older Mom Older Mom
Apr '18

Well let me stick my two cents in. I am a person who works with Adult's with disabilities. It's not easy walking past there when you are walking with people using wheelchairs & and roller aids. Trying to walk side by side so they don't fall or need that extra hand. And who the heck wants to hear that crap music when you are out there sitting on the bench. Or sitting outside another business. If people want to listen to that crap music they play they should move to Paterson. We don't live in the hood it's not Newark. And before you old people call me old... I'm not. No other businesses in town takes over the side walks. So maybe you all should take into consideration about people with disabilities. Or just the older senior citizens that need just a little extra support while walking.

Brian Z Brian Z
Apr '18

Way to go Brian Z you are 100 percent right.

Dog walker Dog walker
Apr '18

Brian Z. you almost had me with your first four sentences. Then your argument went South. Ever hear the expression "Quit while you're ahead"? Perfect example...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '18

Brian Z, they can’t always be blasting “Freebird”.

Wow, the ignorance of some people is truly astounding.

If this music and outdoor seating is truly a nuisance, then contact the BID or go speak to the restaurant manager. Or, just learn to salsa as you walk by.

YeahRight YeahRight
Apr '18

You are right, this is not Patterson. Why would anyone do that comparison? Whatever could they intend?

One of the best things Main Street has going for it is our resturants and brew pubs. Monchies has mostly great reviews. Taking to the sidewalks is a time-honored a tradition. Playing music is great, open windows and garage doors at Czig screams summer.

I mean we almost have a night life on Main Street now. We need more, not less.

I am sure that the handicapped can navigate the sidewalks; if not, send a cop.

All is good as long as within the confines of our safety and public disturbance laws.

Apr '18

I just drove thru Hackettstown, you think Monchys is bad Stella Gs outdoor seating is just as far out on the sidewalk. Same with Harpers bakery and the crepe place. Additionally have you ever driven past Cgiz Meister when the drunks leave there and cross the street without looking, or when they ga e an event in their back parking lot. You can hear the racket everywhere. Shut it all down. Let’s see empty storefronts as far as the eye can see.

Happy man Happy man
Apr '18

"I am sure that the handicapped can navigate the sidewalks..."

The rest of us just heard from someone who actually works with adults with mobility issues, and that is apparently not the case. Your casually brushing aside the issue -- with a puffed-up, authoritative tone no less -- is nothing short of appalling. It is not, however, surprising; politics clouds and jumbles many people's every thought these days.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Actually we just heard from someone who claimed to be a young man working with seniors who compares us to certain less-than-pleasant places because of food origin and style of music while claiming that this is our only sidewalk business expansion showing he doesn’t even know Main Street well

So yeah, I did not accept his ascertain given half of it was, to use his word, crap.

How you deem that as political is beyond me but I guess my problem is now your problem too. Houston: we have collusion.

And you conveniently left off the rest of my sentence which expains his simple legal resolution to his problem, if there even is one. The rest of us have been there and don’t have one. Just be a good citizen and make the call.

What’s next, no more sidewalk sales because they are anti-disability? Stop senior abuse, no more parades? And that Main Street dining night where they take out a street — closed due to veterens with disabilities?

Sure, disagree all you want — but political? Authoritarian? Give me a break.

Apr '18

Sorry, my tone was harsh, SD. My mistake.

TBH it's just this whole latest back-and-forth on this thread and others which just reinforce to me that the whole country has basically gone bat---- crazy. And because it's a mass happening, like... no one is realizing it. Actually JIT is. Truthfully, it wasn't one thing you or anyone else said, it's like... all of it, combined.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

If Bea McNally‘s were blasting Irish music, would anybody call it crap music and say this isn’t Spring Lake?

DocMartin DocMartin
Apr '18

No, Doc, because we are talking-without-talking about the issue of Latino immigrants in our town. Note that no one will actually come out and say it, of course. Everyone has been duly brainwashed by the PC police, and is dancing around each other on tiptoes, if they are even daring to issue an opinion at all. But that is the topic at hand.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

I'll say one thing (and I'm a white 60 year old guy with Irish and English roots). When I drive or walk around this town, those Latino and other brown-skin people I see are *always* busting their butts, clean cut, mostly walking or driving bikes, carrying heavy loads, always working, never causing a bit of trouble, quiet, always polite. Or out in the heat landscaping and other tough jobs.

Now when I go to QuickCheck or that whole plaza down to ShopRite Liquors, that's when I start to get scared - of the skeazy-looking white drugged out or drunk looking white people begging for cash or looking like they just crawled out from under a rock to get the latest batch of scratch-offs. Not to mention in the bars. The darker skin folks seem to be very family oriented, I don't see them in the bars, but do see a whole lotta loud wasted white folks in them (often talking about how bad those brown people are). I don't drink, but I often go to Marleys and other spots to pick up food to go or eat-in.

Omg finally someone coming right out and saying what they see and how they feel. Finally!! How completely refreshing.

If only everyone would actually do this, and we could all just hear one another again. Like, actually *hear.* Without letting whatever political views we might have affect our reactions, and without worrying about the PC police lurking around every corner.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Rachel, yes, its all political, its all a fight nowadays. And I am seen often as the HL alpha liberal so I get what its like to be piñata boy. Glad you could note this was not exactly the case here.

Yet if you try to make your point surrounded by anti-latino inuendo, you can expect me to call you out. I think its deserved.

I mean many here hate immigrants, especially those w/o papers. They are mostly Mexican. I think these folks are Columbian so, WTH, we lump them in with the Mexicans, figure they are illegal, and crank up the innuendo steteotyping broadbrush generalization machine to spread the anti-new-guy machine.

HL was getting more progressive in this and so was H-town but we are suffering a bit of a relapse since the new messages from the top have changed. Now the troglodytes are re-emerging from under the rocks we had forced them to.

So sure, if blocking the sidewalk, if blaring music, we have laws for that. Use them. But leave the othet crap at your home. It does not belong on HL

Apr '18

Actually, no, SD, it's not "all political." Those are the only lenses you choose to look at the world through. But other people can see the reality around them without the distortion of the political lenses. You *choose* not to. There is a difference.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Ah, so that’s my problem.

Thanks for the judgement.

Apr '18

Who is Rachel?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

Calico - SD is joking, obviously.

happiest girl
Apr '18

What's the joke, hg? Please explain.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Ok, well maybe SD will tell us if there was a joke. In my experience, though, Rachel is often what people call someone named Rebecca when they make a simple mistake. Both biblical names, both are traditional Jewish names, both start with R... lots of people simply mix them up. I've been called Rachel countless times, as I'm sure other Rebeccas have. Which is why it didn't even register with me, so I didn't mention it, but why Calico and probably anyone else not named Rebecca was wondering lol. But Anyhoo...

I think what would be amazing is if we could actually have an open discussion, frank discussion about Latino immigration in Hackettstown, no? I mean, I've been here for just over a decade, and if some other change has been more significant and impactful in our town, please point it out. I don't see it. But on the hugely popular town forum, to which people from all over the area contribute, and every possible topic is covered, the issue hasn't even been openly discussed. It has been "covertly" talked about, with people complaining out things like the town pool, and other people branding anyone who happens to mention Latinos as "racist." Are we truly living in a country where we can only speak in whispers and insults? Does that sound like the country of free speech to you?

I've been observing the phenomenon on the local forum for years, as an illustration of what is happening to us as a country: I don't think we can talk to each other as people any more.

SD's solution of "calling the police" if someone was having a difficult time of maneuvering past tables on a sidewalk with a wheelchair? I couldn't come up with a more perfect illustration of how we no longer speak to each other. And it is what I mean when I say we have all, collectively, gone bat---- crazy. Because calling in law enforcement in such an instance is exactly that. But it's WHO we have become as a country. In other (sane) Nations, the obvious thing that would happen is that anyone reading this thread who happens to walk by any one of the establishments mentioned with tables that look obstructive would simply walk into he restaurant and ask to speak with the manager. She would then say something like, "Hey, how are you doing today? Just thought I might mention that I read on the local forum that people with mobility issues are having problems getting past some of the tables that are set up on the sidewalks in town. Just thought you might want to consider moving your tables back a foot or two from the street." That's all. And the tables would get moved back. Because it's just the normal/right/obvious thing to do.

Let's say we did that on Main St today, though. What would happen? The possibly Latino manager of Monchy's: "oh, thanks, I didn't realize that." Then a half hour later he, probably with the help of his friendly patrons, have moved the tables back a bit. American manager of any random other restaurant with tables: [worries, researches online legal ADA sidewalk requirements, gets out measuring tape, makes calls to inquire if the town has regulations in place regarding number of free inches required on sidewalk, possibly calls lawyer, tries to calculate impact of table adjustment on business' bottom line...]

See? Crazy. And we've gotten used to it, haven't we.

And unless we can figure out a way to talk to each other again, we are lost as a country, mark my words. Lost.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Rebecka, why do you assume that someone with Latino roots isn’t American? Im talking about your saying the Latino owner of Monchys vs. the “American” owner of another restaurant? You do realize, don’t you, that there are many legal Latin immigrants as well as Latins who were born here, don’t you? Or will they never be considered American In your eyes?

And why is Latino music blasting more objectionable then irish music blasting ?

And why do you simply assume that the owner of monchy’s would immediately put the tables back the way they were?

Go ahead – be honest. You are against political correctness, so go right ahead and speak your mind.

DocMartin DocMartin
Apr '18

I did speak my mind. Please feel free to speak yours.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Sorry, I honestly don't know how that happened Becca.... Must have been fat fingers on a spell check. I always have to spell check your name. Funnier yet I was watching "Rachel and the Stranger," recommended for Western buffs, at the time. 40-year old teamster Jean Arthur in the first talky feminist Western against her 22-yr old love interest William, no he doesn't even look like, Holden. Weirdly good. You go girl, you go.

I agree one could, perhaps even one should, talk first. However....I actually went by and they have cordoned off a good sized piece of the sidewalk that does look to only allow a single wheelchair to pass with no one on the side. Walkers, etc. ---- nope --- it looked like 2x2 passage was easily possible. But talk? You would be asking for them to make a major change in their set up, versus just move a few tables a few feet.

Point is probably good opportunity for BID to explain again the laws, the storeowners rights, the people's rights etc. to all storeowners on the strip, not just those with Latino offerings, names, workers, whatever.... We have a nice restaurant/brew pub district brewing (heh, heh....) and IMO, we should do everything in our power to enhance the shop-owners chance for success. Plus, I like our new vibrant entertainment zone. It's Spring so these owners are probably thinking how to enhance the outdoor experience --- at least IMO I hope so, so good timing before the die is cast, money is spent on tables, chairs, etc.

For years we have bemoaned the fate of Main Street. Suddenly we have a path to vibrancy, l say let's do everything we can to have it succeed and expand.

We also have to decide what we will accept. I mean in New Hope the freakin sidewalks are sometimes two feet wide, pretty busted up, loaded with obstructions and trees and the like ----- and they are packed with patrons of the various shops. Same thing, with wider sidewalks, in Alexandria VA --- a multi-mile restaurant zone. They choose vibrant over clear cut sidewalks.

As far as the convert overt Latino comments. Actually they have nothing to do with anything we are talking about on this thread. It's red meat for a certain crowd and a red herring for the rest.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '18

No worries, SD, I knew it was just a mixup. If I had a dollar for every time I've been called Rachel... lol.

I agree with the "path to vibrancy" statement. Absolutely. DH and I were seated next to a young guy and gal at Topo a couple weeks ago. Through chatting with them briefly, we learned that they were on a first date, both from other towns, but chose Hackettstown as a good location for a restaurant to meet in person. Afterwards we said - so nice that people are now seeing Htown as a destination for restaurants, pubs and a place to go out in the evenings! *Serious Kudos* to the BID and forward-thinking establishment owners who are making this happen.

Both you and Doc are simply proving my point that we aren't allowed to speak about certain topics in this country any more, though. You both just made attempts to shut down the discussion. Doc with obvious bait-attempt questions and inferring I'm a racist because I dare to say the words "Latino" and "immigration" in the same sentence. You by pointing out that the town is doing great and may finally be headed in the right direction (agreed, but you are trying to divert the convo), and by outright saying "Latino comments... have nothing to do with anything we are talking about...". Actually, Latino immigration has been heavily referenced in this thread and countless others.

Apparently, only BH2 realizes that the PC/thought police only have pretend handcuffs?

"Let's talk openly about a difficult but important topic," is met with pushback and crickets. We have, as a country, allowed ourselves to be muzzled. An invitation to talk frankly with each other about Latino immigration in our town seems to be the scariest thing imaginable. Want to know what's scary to me? How Silent we've become as a people.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '18

Nobody is trying to shut down the discussion. On the contrary, YOU are doing that by making insinuations rather than by clearing up your stance. At least have the courage of your own convictions. You expressed a distaste for political correctness, and yet here you are being evasive.

You did not mention Latino and immigration in the same sentence; what you did was insinuate that Latinos can’t possibly be American. You did that with your statement contrasting the Latino owner of Monchy’s with an “American owner”of another restaurant. Why won’t you answer as to why you assume that the owner of Monchys can’t possibly be American? Is it your belief that no Latino will ever American, no matter whether they have applied for and received citizenship or whether they were born here?

DocMartin DocMartin
Apr '18

LOL... Rebecka, you said all that?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '18

Rebecca. The PC police are Caesars way of controlling the masses and taking God out of public places. He is setting us down into a culture of his liking controlled by him, Just look at how he now controls parents in the raising of children. I would be in jail today. Look at how many do home schooling today to avoid brain washing and topics they don't agree with.. We are losing liberty a little at a time. I believe Lenin said, don't worry about America, they will destroy themselves from within.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '18

So how is the food at Monchy's??? Anyone else eat there?

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Apr '18

We just ate there since it seems to be a hot topic :-) Just got back. Food was excellent, took a while to come out but it's not McDonalds after all, and they were pretty busy with dine-in, delivery, and take-out orders on a Sunday night.

I had a burger, my wife had a steak quesadilla. Both were excellent, great fries, fantastic flavored teas on mason jars brewed with tea bags. Excellent, friendly service but the thing that really struck is was how *immaculate* the kitchen and dining area are. It's about our third time there, haven't been recently, it's very consistent.

Excellent place. I also took time to check out the outside tables. There seemed to be plenty of room to get a wheelchair through. My wife and I walked through side by side without having to scrunch together or anything.

They weren't playing music outside, but inside the "horrible Paterson music" consisted of Bruno Mars, Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, Pharrell Williams, and other notable hoodlums.

Guess we are really in a interesting place.now we have a cow taking up space on the sidewalk as well.

Dog walker Dog walker
May '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.