What's with the gay flag flying at the hospital?

It looks like a rainbow flag is flying under the American flag at the hospital.

Trish Trish
Jun '17

June is Pride month.

"The gay flag"?

Snowmeiser
Jun '17

It could be in solidarity with the U.S. Supreme Court decision two years ago that stated that same-sex couples have a right to marry, but then, I'm only guessing, but:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/06/26/june-26-2015-america-at-its-greatest/?utm_term=.ff848a1608f3

Makes sense to me.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '17

How are we sure the flag is gay?

It's a happy hospital.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jun '17

I think it's great that they are flying the pride flag

Htown athlete
Jun '17

Trish....would you care to jump back in on the topic you needed to post about from reading what others commented back to you?

Doggoneit
Jun '17

Re: What's with the gay flag flying at the hospital?

Ramadan was also celebrated during the month of June.
Did the hospital honor Ramadan as well?

Thank you Cbgb but the flag is probably there to show that it is a Safe Space for the LGBTQ community

The care they will receive from the hospital will be free from judgement, harassment or insult.

If there isn't a xmas flag or a Hanukkah flag or a kwanza flag I wouldn't expect it to fly a Ramadan flag

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Jun '17

There's a rainbow icon on the left of the Hackettstown Life link on Firefox bookmarks . Is that supposed to mean something as well ?

WildDingo WildDingo
Jun '17

So, no flags for religious holidays, but we have to show it's a safe place for everyone. Do we have a flag for African American History Month, so black Americans know they're safe there? What about National Women History Month, so women feel accepted? Can they fly an Irish flag, for Irish-American Heritage Month? And an Italian flag for National Italian American Heritage Month? What do they use for Older Americans Month--do they just send a pair of Depends up the flagpole? And what about National American Indian Heritage Month? Do they even celebrate that, or is that "un-PC," because it's offense to refer to Native Americans as "Indians"? Maybe they can just put a cigar-store Indian or a totem pole on the hospital roof. . . .

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jun '17

+1 all this flag nonsense has gotten out of hand in recent years.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '17

How does the flag flying up there hurt any of you? Is it cutting off your blood supply? Is it causing you cancer?

EmpanadasYum EmpanadasYum
Jun '17

Don't force your beliefs on other people and in your face.

Shirley Shirley
Jun '17

Its because they are being selective of what flags they fly.and what flags they refuse to fly .not exactly equal rights

Bug3
Jun '17

The LGBT community has not had equal rights...until now, so why not celebrate?

Chefeng Chefeng
Jun '17

Well it has taken hold in corporations for the long haul. I only chuckle to myself but seriously gays have it tougher than any other group. A positive change IMHO but I (for example) believe the Bible is just a story so what it say about gays is just... a story.

You all sure look for anything that can let you spew............spew on if it makes you feel good or superior

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '17

Oh cool. So people who believe in States' rights should fly the Confederate Flag, and people who believe in the people over the federal govt should fly the Gadsen Flag. Gotcha.

(I actually don't have a problem with anyone flying ANY flag, as I believe in individual liberty... even if someone wants to fly a KKK flag.... however, I have a feeling many of you WOULD be selective about which flags should be "allowed" to fly.)

I wonder when we will see the uproar over someone burning a rainbow (gay pride) flag... because you know that will portrayed as hateful, whereas burning the American flag is "patriotic" and "free speech".... the level of hypocrisy boggles the mind...

Jun '17

I don't recall gays gathering as a group and burning crosses on people's lawns and hanging black people from there necks on trees. I don't recall gays seceding from the union and attacking it for the right to enslave black people like a bunch of mules.

So yeah, when gays do that, we'll all work on banning the rainbow flag too (rather than creating monuments for it.)

You're so f'n dumb sometimes with your stupid rhetoric!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '17

Yeah, l'm thinking flags are overdone these days. Especially all the guys with American flags flying out of the beds of their pickup trucks. Don't try and force your lifestyle on me. Don't get it in my face. Plus you're denigrating the flag by soiling it with all the soot from your coal rollers. That crap belongs in Kentucky.

Eperot Eperot
Jun '17

Private property. Bugger off. Moot points. Move on. Short enough?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '17

Why don't we worry more about the scumbags around town and how our tax dollars go to them daily. Who cares about a rainbow flag?! I bet if you saw the huge rainbow in town the other day you were probably trying to take a picture of it! Let the flag be! People take too much time to sweat the small stuff!

Seriously
Jun '17

How can a flag have a sexual preference?

btownguy btownguy
Jun '17

You may have kids that are gay folks, you just don't know it...

Just like some of my redneck relatives I would visit in the 70s as a kid. Only a sea of white back then but black, white, and candy strip now. Change is inevitable...

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2017/06/nj_hospital_to_host_lgbtqia_flag_raising_ceremony.html

It's LGBT pride month and the gentleman who invented it just passed away he worked in a hospital- not sure if he was a doctor or not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/03/31/us/gilbert-baker-rainbow-flag-dies/index.html

skippy skippy
Jun '17

Maybe the scumbag politicians in this dumpy state should start worrying about out of control taxes, bcbs, and egregious spending instead of flying gay flags? You wanna be gay, have at it, but don't cram this nonsense down everyone's throats and expect everyone to like it. So sick and tired of this crap!!!!

LJRubi LJRubi
Jun '17

"Private property. Bugger off. Moot points. Move on. Short enough?"

Couldn't agree more, SD.

Jun '17

"You're so f'n dumb sometimes with your stupid rhetoric!"

Ah... the final last resort to name calling, because you're run out of logical arguments. Love it.

Jun '17

I like this flag.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Jun '17

How is this cramming it down anyone's throats??? Get over it....

Htown athlete
Jun '17

"So people who believe in States' rights should fly the Confederate Flag." Do you really believe this to be true JR --- that the war was about state's rights? Or are you just saying that there are idiots out there who do believe that?

Actually this just proves people are idiots, our school system needs to teach proper history, or a bit of both.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '17

And I agree with your second post ---- the last resort is rude discourse. Enough with the name calling. (although please note that my use of the word --- stupid --- is meant as a rhetorical.....:>)

Jun '17

+1 seriously

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jun '17

I'm not offended that it was called a gay flag. Its about time we stop worrying about hurting someones feelings. You/They're gay. Simple. Just like when Christmas rolls around, I'll wish you a Merry Christmas, and too bad if you're offended. None of this "happy holidays" $hit.

I disagree that "gays have it tougher than any other group". Seriously?

I don't like that the hospital will fly a gay flag, yet doesn't fly a flag for all the other aforementioned recognitions.
You have some great points, JeffRepub, but I'd disagree about the KKK issue. Oppression and killing is a bit different. But I love your point about what would happen if someone burned gay flag.

I will fly flags at my house. Christmas, even though I don't go to church. American Flags, because of my support for the US of A. Dog flags, because my dog is awesome and I want everyone to know. I don't own any gay flags. But if my gay son brought one over, I'd fly that one to.

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Jun '17

I love how every time someone farts up there the flag goes to half staff. They have no idea about proper flag etiquette when it comes to the American flag. As long as the American flag is on top, fly whatever you want underneath. It will always be second no matter what flag it is.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '17

I wonder if stranger danger realises that less than 1% of the population in the south actually owned slaves..the majority were owned by tobacco and cotton plantations

Bug3
Jun '17

As a proud Kekistani I demand equal time

skippy skippy
Jun '17

"but I'd disagree about the KKK issue. Oppression and killing is a bit different"

But it's just A FLAG. Free speech, or not? A flag doesn't oppress or kill anyone, it's someone's free speech, just as burning the American flag is. You know- humans are allowed to be racist. It's not against the law to BE a racist- only to not hire people BECAUSE OF their race.

Jun '17

"Do you really believe this to be true JR --- that the war was about state's rights? Or are you just saying that there are idiots out there who do believe that? "

You have some history reading to do. It wasn't ALL about slavery- dig deeper than the public school textbooks.

Jun '17

strangerdanger - "Actually this just proves people are idiots, our school system needs to teach proper history, or a bit of both."

If the states and government continue to remove landmarks that deal with the history of what has taken place in America, next they will be removed from the history books as well. Then we will be bringing up a generation of "idiots". Some of these landmarks are not the best thing that has happened to America, but it still happened and we need to remember that. We don't have to glorify these events but we should remember them.

Open your mind for a second when you read this and be honestly objective.......Why is it any different recognizing the person that came up with the pride flag and his movement, and recognizing Generals in the confederate army? One we had to take down because it offended a group and the other we are OK with. What if there was a group that was not OK with the pride flag at the hospital, should they be made to take that down too? (I don't think either should be taken down)

To each is own.....if you don't like the statues of Confederate Generals don't visit them. If you don't like the pride flag, don't go visit it at the hospital. Neither one is hurting anyone.

When we stop learning about history, we are doomed to repeat it!!!!

Open Minded Open Minded
Jun '17

I haven't driven by the hospital which version is it? The one with new rainbow colors black and brown stripes on top to be inclusive, and divisive at the same time, or the even newer inclusive / divisive version?

Denis Denis
Jun '17

Wow... confederate gay nazis.... whoda thunk?

Jun '17

Lol, it's still about government benefits and nothing more.

Everyone is already free to associate as they see fit, no matter any one else's opinion.

justintime justintime
Jun '17

The hospital is not paid for by taxes...its not a school or a government agency. It's essentially a business and can fly whatever flag it wants.

Htown Htown
Jun '17

It accepts tax money

skippy skippy
Jun '17

Who cares!!! It's a f------ Flag!!! I don't like a lot of things I see on a daily basis... I'm more concerned with these idiots messing with health care and other things.. The way Trump is leading this country the only flag u are gonna see is one that says FOR SALE Or RICH PEOPLE ONLY!!!

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Jun '17

And now the gay pride flag at the hospital has to do with the president. How does every thread end up there? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

And I'll wish you a happy Hannukah remind you that your Jesus is a false messiah.

ChrisisFake ChrisisFake
Jun '17

Looks good!

It does look good!

Amen Calico! Not just the president, but equal rights, religious beliefs, KKK, the civil war, geography, liberalism and so on.

Wow! That's some flag....

Unbelievable.

positive positive
Jun '17

With terrorists targeting places that cater to the gays , I don't think it is a very good idea to be flying their flag outside of a hospital.

Dadof3
Jun '17

Ridiculous. Terrorists are mainly targeting democracies. So we probably shouldn't fly the American flag.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

Yankeefan, we should just ban flags, parades and anything else that celebrates a particular freedom or group. We don't want to offend anyone who has not been included nor do we want to give attention to the terrorists.

Can't believe some of the blatant ignorance on here. It's a shame...

positive positive
Jun '17

Positive, I think HL is basically a microcosm of the country. It can be fascinating, irritating, demoralizing, educational and simply sad. In the end, it reflects where the country has gone...the Divided States of America. No middle ground, no reaching out across the aisle. No real signs of rapprochement. Sad.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

I don't care if someone is gay or whether they want to fly a rainbow flag. I do, however, think that flying it at the hospital is mildly inappropriate, in this day and age. Hospitals are seen, to many, as public institutions, even though most are privately run. And right now, the nation is greatly divided--along political, religious, ethnic, and moral lines--and it's slowly tearing the nation apart (as can be noted by many of the comments above).

I think what the nation needs right now is more unity, working together to solve the country's problems to the greatest benefit to all. And I don't think that a quasi-public hospital flying a flag that essential says "We support gay rights" is helping. SOME people will be offended by it, and that is only fanning the flames of division. And thus, I think that simply flying the American flag is enough. It says, "We support everyone's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, no matter who they are, and we don't play favorites based on gender or race or religion or sexual identity."

Or, at the very least, if you're going to fly a rainbow flag, to recognize gay rights, then you ought to keep changing the flag, so that everyone gets recognized. You know, like flying a Jolly Roger on Talk Like a Pirate Day.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jun '17

I completely agree Yankeefan. Your are very insightful and intelligent.

positive positive
Jun '17

You are all over-thinking this. It simply means that if you use this hospital, you just might wind up over the rainbow. Bills will be mailed in care of your estate :)

maja2 maja2
Jun '17

Can we please let this string die...I am disappointed by a few of the statements above... ... we are all human beings just trying to live a life... Judgement and Fear are not some of the better qualities we need openly express...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jun '17

JerseyWolf - Ininitum Pastafari !!

I have a feeling that those of you who are "OFFENDED" by the Rainbow Flag being flown at the hospital will have a big change of heart if you or one of your loved ones needed emergency medical care.

Remember to tell the ambulance driver or that you DONT want to go there...they are a hospital that is all inclusive and I am offended so id rather risk it and take my chances on going to a hospital that is NOT all inclusive.

The ridiculousness of some of the comments on this tread astound me. Over a flag, really?? With all of the things wrong in this world and you select few are worried about a flag. It just goes to show that ignorance is still alive and well.

Although the flag was adopted by the LGBTQ community...... the colors were determined to symbolize: life (red), healing (orange), sunlight (yellow), nature (green), harmony/peace (blue), and spirit (purple/violet). So for a hospital to fly it, YES its exactly the flag that should be flow there! So yes, its all inclusive.

bgood105 bgood105
Jun '17

I'm personally not offended by the rainbow flag, or any other flag for that matter. I do however agree with what Jersey Wolf said. If you recognize one group by flying their flag, shouldn't all groups get their equal time. At that point, where does it end?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Why would the hospital even get involved in this? They should just concentrate on keeping people healthy. Why make any stand for any one group. Gay, straight, polka dotted or in between. None of it matters. But why the need to take a stand? Just run the hospital and stay out of politics, stances or anything that doesnt involve running a hospital and keeping people safe and healthy. The flag they fly should read simply "all welcome". Short sighted and not necessary.

Mr Starfish
Jun '17

"The flag they fly should read simply "all welcome"."

Very well said.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Ultimately I applaud them for flying the rainbow flag especially considering all of the ignorance and hate directed at the LGBT community. For those wanting equal time for other flags, perhaps this is the beginning ...

Still they kvetch.

Private business, they can invited whomever they please whenever they please however they please within the confines of the law.

Last time I checked, raising a flag is not illegal.

My flag is olde Gloria. It's looks and acts just like yours. Deal with it. It's right next door to you :>)

Jun '17

"Remember to tell the ambulance driver or that you DONT want to go there."

Actually, I would do that anyway... Hackettstown ER sucks... almost killed my sister in-law (absolutely serious). Gay pride flag got nothin' to do with it.

Jun '17

Calico I believe that mentality is what helped bring us participation trophies. Everyone gets a turn on the pole. Lol

Jim L Jim L
Jun '17

"Everyone gets a turn on the pole." Wow, you are accepting....

Jun '17

Reminds me of the discussion about lowering the flag for elected officials. Why are they special enough yet us lowly peons won't warrant it?

JimL, trophies for everyone in power is why of course. Same reason why 25% of any school performance program is dedicated to thanking school officials for merely doing their job lol

justintime justintime
Jun '17

This thread is the best! Can we also include a debate on Ford vs. Chevy vs Dodge? lol

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Jun '17

Sam says it all: https://youtu.be/PB-wmOYelnM

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '17

Well it is nice for certain people like myself to know that if for whatever reason myself or my husband of 24+ years can go to a medical institution and not have to worry about either one of us not being able to see the other in an emergency. I personally have relatives and friends who had this scenario happen and they were not allowed to be with their loved ones during an emergency because they were not family, never mind the fact that they have lived together as a couple/family for decades...

Unless you have walked in the shoes of someone who is considered a member of a minority group, you have absolutely no idea at all what it is like to feel hated and rejected just because of who you are. There was a point in my life where I could have saved children and puppies from a burning building, but because I was gay, people thought I should have died in the fire. And no, I am not exaggerating. I have had people tell me right to my face that I should just go a way and die because "my kind" is not welcome.

And as for the flag, get over it folks. It's just that, a flag. It is up for a couple of days out of the year. As for showing flags for other groups, have at it. I don't think anyone has a problem with other group flying their flags.

fdjp731 fdjp731
Jun '17

For those saying other group's flag should have equal time on the pole can you please point out what the universal flag for women is? or what the native American flag is?

Jim L. Jim L.
Jun '17

jerseywolf (and calico), do you see the irony in your comment that the "nation needs more unity" and then in the next sentence saying "we support" a fraction of the country doesn't help? whether you are in the group or not, whether or not you support it, you should go with your first comment and accept and approve of inclusive messages. that doesn't mean you support any sentiment; a flag for isis (as an extreme example) whose message is hatred and death should not be tolerated. the 2 messages are not equivalent. see the differences between inclusion and support of others vs unacceptance and violence against others and go with unity.

ken e
Jun '17

LOL. Yes, we're ALL united. I'm united with my team, you're united with your team, they're united with their team...so maybe rather than insisting on overall unity, we need to focus on compromising to move forward. Give up a little, get a little, progress incrementally. You
know, like we did when adults ran the country. If that isn't possible, I have very little optimism for our children's future.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

just a flag welcoming the gay society. No one would ever be turned down medically, because of race, color, religion, or sexual preference. So what's the big deal anyway??

dd77 - nothing is the big deal , its all good ,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '17

"when adults ran the country." Sadly, a time long gone, not evident in the apparent future.. We will have many more of these debates - as the children reign and the children's parties continue..... Are there any adults out there?

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '17

Pandering , that's how I see it.
with a side of bandwagon

Why do we have to advertise our sexual preferences?what's the point?
My girlfriend is a goat,what kind of flag do I fly what community do I belong to do I get special preference

Probably an Isis flag if your into goats

skippy skippy
Jun '17

The bestiality community. Good luck on getting married.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

she is a goat, you are an ass. i don't know which flag to fly but i did find your facebook picture.

You may be funnier when you're in 4th grade.
Or not.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

A+ Tom

Really???
Jun '17

"like we did when adults ran the country"

I don't think the adults in years past used to rely on The Onion for guidance! j/k ;-)

Seriously though, IMO there's not nearly enough folks wanting to take the high road today, with the majority now just acting like kids on a playground because "everyone is doing it".

justintime justintime
Jun '17

I'm sorry, I need some clarity. Is someone calling for decorum? Civility? Dare I say it : political correctness?

Then say it. Let that politically correct flag fly!

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '17

JIT, I know you were kidding...still, adult doesn't have to mean humorless. Maybe "a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants" might help. Bet you cant ID the reference. :)

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

"Probably an Isis flag if your into goats"

I spit out my coffee!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Jun '17

Here's a perfect example of an adult YF, no mind-manipulating humor anywhere to be found. From a wh press briefing on immigration:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/06/28/press-gaggle-director-immigration-and-customs-enforcement-tom-homan-us

A quote of interest, a reply to a question asking if undocumented (here illegally) immigrants are more or likely to commit crimes.

"DIRECTOR HOMAN: I think you're misinterpreting what I’m saying. What I’m saying is two things. Number one, people that enter this country illegally violate the laws of this country. You can't want to be a part of this great nation and not respect its laws. So when you violate the laws of this country -- and the taxpayers in this country spend billions of dollars a year on border security, immigration court, detention. And they go through a process. They get a decision from the immigration judge -- most times will appeal to the Board of Immigration Appeals, then to a circuit court. When that due process is over, that final order from a federal judge needs to mean something"

The immensely important part of the reply IMO is this:
"You can't want to be a part of this great nation and not respect its laws."

The directors response is clearly from the perspective that ICE exists to enforce the law, and he believes, rightly so, that laws mean nothing without enforcement.

Since our laws mandate identification and documentation to be in this country, *undocumented* immigrants are breaking the law, an undeniable truth. Yet President Trump gets harassed regularly for doing his job of wanting to enforce the law, right? Where's the logic in that view? If ICE enforcement brings undue harm then it's the *laws* that should change, not their enforcement.

So yes, there are adults out there if one is willing to be serious enough to actually want to find them.

justintime justintime
Jun '17

What happened to Trish who started this? I guess she was just stirring the pot. Not one further post.

justwondering justwondering
Jun '17

JIT, that is relevant to this thread how?

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

There was a rainbow flying over town tonight.

Hopeful Hopeful
Jun '17

Nice shot, Hopeful! I was looking for a rainbow, yesterday. You found one, for me. Thanks for posting it. I've always loved rainbows, regardless of their "meaning". As far as the flag? I don't care what it implies, as long as it doesn't involve violence. There's so much more to worry about, in these times.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jul '17

yeah Gay Pride and whatever, if you're into that, ok fine, but what business does a hospital have flying the flag? It's as bad as major corporations virtue signaling so they don't get attacked by SJWs and "civil rights" people for not joining in. Can't people just take a no-sides opinion on stuff like this and let it be? Even if you stay out of the issue and take a neutral stance, you get attacked.

paulfeig paulfeig
Jul '17

I like it because I know how much it bothers all the homophobes. Such snowflakes! If you don't like it, feel free to source your emergency treatment elsewhere.

Matt D Matt D
Jul '17

It is pretty interesting to see how something like that tweets people

skippy skippy
Jul '17

If the entire hospital staff was gay, would it be OK then?

What about those M&M's....there's a rainbow who's yuge mascots leer at you right from the corporate front door. Heck, people are getting selfies in front of them. They got an entire street named for them and does anyone go postal over it? Nooooooooo.

Hospital rainbow ---- baaaaaad
Chocolate rainbow ------ tasty good.

Jul '17

"Taste the Rainbow" lol!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

I am an employee of AH. I am proud of the show of inclusion to all. Showing the pride flag makes this statement. Progression as it should be.

Rainbow sherbet. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

+1 Lisa!

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jul '17

@fdjp731
Erm, how would anyone even know you were homosexual? Do you wear some sort of badge or armband?
I never heard of a hospital not allowing someone to visit you so why would it matter if it was your 'husband' or not.
Besides, you could have just said it was your brother or lawyer.
All of the gripes made by homosexuals just weren't true.

Dr.Benway Dr.Benway
Jul '17

@Matt D
You finally told the truth. Them real reason you like it is because it annoys many normal people but it's your attitude that really annoys them.We should not be concerned or wasting time on 1% of the population as if it were some major concern and it's only the media that keeps pushing this nonsense.
1% of the population are homosexual
1/2 of 1% are lesbians (probably 1/4 of 1% because half are just confused girls being groomed by diesel dykes.
According to the DSM there are 3500 men and 1500 females who have the psychiatric disorder where they believe they are the opposite sex
And 100 sex change operations are performed in the US for transsexuals

Now, why is this insignificant number of people combined worthy of all the attention.

Dr.Benway Dr.Benway
Jul '17

I don't know Dr. B, why don't you tell us why you are so upset at a ......flag?

How about those M&Ms?

Jul '17

Idk Dr. B, it sounds like gay rights and a colorful flag is affecting your life a lot more than it is mine.

Just pointing out, it looks like it takes a lot more work for you to look up all those statistics about gays than it does for me to just be decent and not throw a fit every time someone shows me a rainbow.

PS –– the golden rule is a lot less work, if you're ever feeling tuckered out by all those stats and figures about gays. It's easy, and you'll have a lot of energy saved up for your other pursuits, like making babies cry and not tipping waiters (I'm just kidding, I'm sure you're a lot of fun).

Jokes aside, so what, a hospital supports gay people? How does that affect anyone for the negative? I don't care if they fly a rainbow flag, it doesn't hurt anybody, and it is a nice gesture for the (probably) hundreds of LGBT folks in the area. I mean, from what I've heard, gay people get bullied all the time by jerks who can't handle a little variety, so I'm sure its nice for them to drive by the hospital and feel like the community supports them.

Not a big deal. You can buy a big old rainbow flag on Amazon for $7.99. I don't think the hospital is going too far out of their way to say something nice.

If they shouted "HAPPY PRIDE MONTH, HAVE A GAY DAY TODAY!!" to every person who checked into the emergency room, maybe I'd feel like it was overkill, but a flag? C'mon folks, it should take a little more than that to ruin your day.

Everyone here is missing the point on the flag being flown at the hospital. There should never be any flag other than the POW flag flown with the American Flag on the same pole.
It is fine if they want to fly a different type of flag, but it needs to be on its own pole. Like M&M's has several different poles to fly the flags they choose.
And for all you people that think it doesn't hurt, try risking your life for your country and then see your flag belittled.
Obviously the American flag means nothing to most of the people commenting here.

John S John S
Jul '17

Hey man, “I like people that weren’t captured.” At least that's what our President believes.

Jul '17

Honestly if you people complaining about the pride flag are really that offended then go hide in your safe place! Should be ashamed of yourselves! My cousin is gay and he is one of the nicest people I've ever met!

Michael J Michael J
Jul '17

Sorry John S, but you are incorrect. What you say is only true on a U.S. Army Base, where there are only 3 flags which can be displayed under the U.S. Flag, the POW/MIA Flag being one of those. Of course there are different rules for bases of the other Branches of the Service.

For civilian display, there is a hierarchy or precedence of display. If there is only one pole, or is only one "working" pole (staff), then any "other" flag besides those listed in the precedence is the last in order and is to be displayed under any or all of the others.

The ONLY caveat to this is that the "other" flag must not be that of a corporate entity or an advertising banner.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq2.htm

It does also note that there is actually one time when another flag or pennant may be flown above the U.S. Flag, to wit: "The Christian flag may fly above the US flag only "during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy" (Flag Code, Section 7c)." as per that same saite, quoting the Flag Code.

While they may have been in the minority, there were "closeted" gay, lesbian and bisexual members of the various branches of the U.S. Military, some of whom undoubtedly died, were wounded or are/were POW/MIA.

Since my Dad was active USMC for over 30 years, serving in Korea and Vietnam and I lived both on base and off, I do not feel as though this should be considered some kind of "insult" to those who served. They also served to provide for everyone's freedoms, which would inherently include their freedom of sexual preference, whether gay, straight or whatever does not harm another. I'm sure that those who served who are "covered" by the rainbow flag, would be proud to finally have some recognition of who they were, while fighting for the freedoms of us all.

If the flag insults you, just please reflect on what I've just said. Perhaps you'll realize that what you fought for was the right and freedom to be able to display such a flag accepting of others and acknowledging their rights too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

You summed it up Phil! Excellent!

positive positive
Jul '17

Your still missing the point, it is the respect for the military that fought for "everyone's" freedoms. It has nothing to do with if your straight or gay or any other issue. The American flag as you say is for everyone and that should be enough.

John S John S
Jul '17

John S

Nobody's "belittling" the American Flag. The Flag Code has NO issue with a number of other flags being on the same pole.

I have the deepest respect for our military, from the first of my ancestors here, and my 7x Great Grandfather Isaac who was with the Pennsylvania "Flying Camp" Brigade and was one of many taken POW by the British in the Battle for New York. In his application for pension it states that he underwent many and diverse privations by the British, which I found out meant that the Commander of the Prison Camp spent most of the money he was allotted for medical supplies and food for the prisoners for goods and luxuries which he sent back to GB for his own household use. The prisoners starved and many were in dire need of medical attention.

I have ancestors and relatives who fought in every just about every conflict the US has found themselves in, including the Invasion of Europe in WWII, and as I stated before my Dad served in both Vietnam and Korea, as well as was part of the blockade of Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis, so you needn't lecture me on lack of respect for our military. I have it in Spades!

I'm sorry that you can't see that the hospital is in no way dishonoring our Veterans and Fallen and/or Missing. The have a right to fly any flag they so desire (except for a Corporate Banner or advertising) underneath "Old Glory".

Just because they don't have the POW/MIA flag under it doesn't mean they're trying to slight anyone. If you feel slighted, I feel sorry that you have experienced loss or trauma of your own, which is obviously unresolved. You have obviously been unable to see my points. I understand yours and you have every right to feel that way and express your frustrations about it, though I feel badly that you've apparently gone through enough internal and/or external pain that you feel that the Military is being disrespected in any way, shape or form.

If you're a Vet, perhaps you should contact the VA for counseling for whatever demons may haunt you and of course feel free to contact the hospital administration with your concerns. Perhaps they will be able to "reach" you far better than I can insofar as why they choose to fly the Rainbow flag.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

So the Christian flag can be flown above the US Flag and it no bitchy comments from the anti-gay contingent? Hypocrisy!! Why is it that when Christians fly a flag or put up decorations, they aren't accused of shoving it down peoples throats? It's no more or less shoving it down peoples throats to tell people you are Christian to tell people you are gay.

ChrisisFake ChrisisFake
Jul '17

and what about this???

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '17

4catmom - Its 2017 by now, it's plain OK to be stray.

Sugar Sugar
Jul '17

Personally I am happy to see the rainbow flag.
When the Veterans hospitals I go to first displayed them inside you have no idea the acceptance I felt. I am a disabled veteran from peace time. I love my country and to have to bury and deny my true self was a hell I hope none of you ever have to experience. I was in the Air Force in the 80's. I am so happy how far the world has changed.
I'm not trying to offend or cram anything down anyone's anything. When I display my rainbow's and such gay pride symbols it is for me. I am free to be me.

Rainbow veteran Rainbow veteran
Jul '17

Rainbow veteran

Thanks for your service and for your post. I've known veterans with stories similar to yours, which is what I based my response to John S on. While I respect and honor all who served, my heart has to go out to those who, like you, served even though their Country saw them as unfit to serve and whose sexuality would've gotten them both discharged and dishonored, even though many had served their Country with highest honor. I'm glad you can feel free to be yourself and not stigmatized for it.

I find it interesting that the Veteran's hospital you go to displayed them inside already. Apparently they didn't find it offensive to be inclusive and honor those who weren't allowed to be included before, even if they couldn't actually fly the flag like a civilian hospital could to let you know that, yes, we finally accept you as soldiers and veterans too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

so the high suicide rate among young gay and lesbian teens is understandable when there is clearly so much homophobia and ignorance on these forums. With such a quick turn to derision and hostility when asked to acknowledge progress made by an oppressed group, I shudder to think what the young gay and lesbian family members you may have will have to deal with when considering whether or not to come out to YOU.

Have some compassion people. Less hate and more compassion ...

friendlyMcFriend friendlyMcFriend
Feb '18

There are just to many days this day that day from pizza day to frozen coffee day I want a caged animal day

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Feb '18

Approved

Skippy Skippy
Feb '18

Every day is your day Caged. ;-)

It's Recognition day. Caged , What do you have to sell, or feel neglected about ? Are you tired of being a caged two legged animal?

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '18

I recently went to the East Orange medical center and saw the flag displayed prominently. As VETERAN I fail to understand why no NJ State flag is displayed?, Why no DOD flag, No Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, or National Guard flags?

Dave T. Dave T.
May '18

@Dave - just head on over to the brainwashed / free speech thread. Therein you will find your answer.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Because people are crazy. There's the short answer Dave.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

And bat---- so.

Welcome to USA circa 2018.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

so because they are not flying the flag(s) you feel they should they are they are bat _ crazy? So it's ok if people express their free speech as long as it matches yours?

njlawyer njlawyer
May '18

Yeah pretty much. We've replaced patriotism with sexual orientation.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

SMH SMH SMH

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

@njlawyer: once again, subtle and not-so-subtle points are lost on you.

Are you really a lawyer? I'm personally finding that increasingly hard to believe.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Bunch of snowflakes in this thread

"Where's my flag?? I don't like that one! wahhh"
-Dave, Metsman, Yosemite

Reasonable Reasonable
May '18

Far from a snowflake, just find it comical they'd put a flag like that up over a military one.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

metsman, I don't think you understand reasonable's rather logical and precise point about a new definition of a word - snowflake. the definition is "a person who has an inflated sense of their own uniqueness, has an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or is easily offended and unable to deal with opposing opinions." that precisely describes your attitudes and writings. perhaps before you use a word against others, you should understand its true meaning.

reasonable +1

ken e
May '18

That's pretty funny Ken e. I've always worked for what I have. I don't have any sense of entitlement. Nice try though.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

I gather the flag is flown to recognize International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. It is tomorrow, May 17th. I don't think it is some concerted effort to demonize veterans, the military, or any other group either by flying it or omitting other banners or flags of any other group, movement or what have you. As long as the American flag is front and center and of course displayed higher than any other, I take the who gives a hoot what other banner is flown at a private facility approach.

Anyone who would like to learn more and educate themselves see the link.

https://dayagainsthomophobia.org/

Oh and then the latter part of that, “easily offended”…. That would describe all the people who whined in the HOF thread because I mentioned my kid. He could get drafted one day and if I were to post an article about it in the MLB thread, there would be people whining about that too. Those are true snowflakes.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

Metsman - Only if he gets drafted by the Mets. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

LOL feel free to start an entire Jake Hall thread on here. Then you can post all the articles you want. But hijacking a HS HOF thread to only talk about your kid makes you a sad snowflake.

njlawyer njlawyer
May '18

I didn't hijack anything. I posted about him being named National Player of the Week. Big deal. there was no other relevant thread to post it. And then Andy started posting and then I posted a video. If that bothers you so much then you're the one who is sad...

Metsman Metsman
May '18

and now you hijacked a gay flag flying at a hospital thread o talk about your son
lololololololololol

njlawyer njlawyer
May '18

No I was making a point. And if you're a lawyer you must be a bad one.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

If he hijacked the other thread because he expected his son to get into the HHS Hall of Fame... what does that say about this one?

ianimal ianimal
May '18

Transphobia day, who knew. The real dilema is what type of gift to give.

Denis Denis
May '18

We should dedicate all threads to Jake Hall from here on out. We are already half done...

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
May '18

Denis won the thread! We can all go home now. LOL. Perfect!

While you’re at it Reggie, you should build a shrine on your front lawn and put up a gay flag on your house to show your support.

Metsman Metsman
May '18

I’d rather see that than a shrine to Mary or one of those Jesus fish flags,Metsman.

DocMartin DocMartin
May '18

@Denis - dying!!

I second that you won the thread. There really should be some sort of prize. ;-D

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Skittles seems to be an appropriate gift... colorful, fruity....

;)

May '18

Thank you, I would say mic drop, but the forum regulars know who owns that phrase.

Denis Denis
May '18

It's pride month

Amber Amber
Jun '18

HHS Hall Of Fame LOL...

i dont know about anyone else but seeing the pride flag fly over the hospital makes me hopeful for our society. We need more inclusion. Happy Pride everyone!

friendlyMcFriendly
Jun '18

Nobody should holdback their true self as long as it doesn't hurt others, and hurting someone's feelings because they are overly religious doesn't count...

Pride of what? If you're born that way then you didn't do anything to earn it? I have brown hair and white skin, should I be proud of that? I understand that homosexuality was illegal, repressed, etc. but time to move on. Let's celebrate that which is merit worthy not just because you are a certain race, religion or sexuality.

i expect it's pride in the ability to be yourself, and be accepted for it. something i, and sometimes others, take for granted.

ken e
Jun '18

Okay, but do we need flags and parades with floats adorned by guys in assless chaps?

JYM if that’s your thing no judgement. I have never seen a parade with assorted chaps. Have you?

Also the pride has to do with people being free to live their lives without fear which is a new thing. Give some time for it to fade.

Friendly McFriend Friendly McFriend
Jun '18

Oh, I have. I have been to Pride parades 30 years ago and they were a lot of fun. And there were guys in assess chaps. My point is thirty years would seem like enough time to fade.

I fully supported my gay friends back then and I still do. What I dislike nowadays is the whole separating of each specialty group. I would love to see people join together. All these special interest groups no longer do that. And believe me, once you've seen a guy in assless chaps the memory never fades!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.