Privacy while logged on to Facebook?

I would like to be in facebook and not have anyone know I am actively on it. If I go into Messenger I am able to see when someone I have friended is active, and/or when they were on last. I have a feeling someone is tracking me and I would like to be able to use it privately. Is that possible while still "friends" or would I need to block them?

629red 629red
Apr '17

Quit everything to do with Facebook if you are concerned with privacy

skippy skippy
Apr '17

You can adjust the privacy settings, but the main thing would be to set the privacy of messenger:

https://www.facebook.com/help/messenger-app/1809356215979629?helpref=popular_topics

Can I turn chat off in the Messenger app?
Yes. To turn chat off from Messenger:

Open the Messenger app
Tap
Tap Active
Use the toggle at the top of the screen to turn chat on or off
Note: When you turn chat off, you'll still get your messages, but people won't see a next to your name, and you won't appear in the Active tab.

You have no privacy when logged in or otherwise to Facebook- at all. Your phone will provide geolocation information - they copy metadata from your pictures - resist they hype - don't do it

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Re: Privacy while logged on to Facebook?

there is no privacy on the Internet for the average user on any site

Scottso Scottso
Apr '17

I am mostly concerned with someone else being able to see when and whether I am on Facebook or not. I get the whole geolocation, no-such-thing-as-basic privacy stuff.
@Rich would your reco work for me?

629red 629red
Apr '17

629red, I use that setting and no one knows whether or not I'm on. You can still get private messages, but you cannot chat. I don't care to chat, so it works for me.

Just turned off my green chat button. Thanks for posting this.

Ilikeflowers Ilikeflowers
Apr '17

Rich I just checked my Messenger privacy settings and that green button was in fact already turned off. Thank you for suggesting that though. I will need to check my settings on the desktop.

629red 629red
Apr '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.