NJ state income tax refund...when sent?

When are refunds typically sent?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '17

I received mine 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Unknown
Mar '17

I e-filed through TurboTax. My State return was accepted on March 7th and my refund was direct-deposited on March 22nd. If you mailed it in, it typically takes much longer.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

I filed mine the first week of February and got it the 2nd week of March.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '17

We mailed ours middle of February...haven't seen our refund yet. But our mail is also completely horrific.

We e-filed our federal return and it was direct deposited about a week or so later.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

You can check the status online:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/refinfo.shtml

happycamper happycamper
Mar '17

Thanks for link, will check. e-filed via TurboTax February 22nd and have not received refund yet.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Mar '17

it took about 1.5 months (to 2 months). there are delays this year.

Hacklifer Hacklifer
Mar '17

Got mine in under 3 weeks. Efiled it!

infogirl
Mar '17

We received ours 22 business days after the e-filed return was accepted by the State.

b1rd1e b1rd1e
Mar '17

Does NJ still charge a fee to E-file?

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '17

TurboTax - February 11th & still nothing.

I'm thinking of charging the State of NJ a late fee for my return. Can't they do anything right?

thecoach thecoach
Apr '17

Still waiting for ours too. Almost 2 months now. Heaven forbid you were two months or more late sending in any owed taxes.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '17

Still nothing, e-filed Feb 22.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '17

Asbury Park Press story on delays:
http://www.app.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/23/nj-tax-refund/96946782/

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '17

I just got mine after filing on 2/22/17... they ended up sending me a paper Check bc they could not do direct deposit since it was rejected by my bank for some reason

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Apr '17

Filed mine on 1/31 and still nothing. Their incompetence is galling. I wrote Sen Doherty and asked him to investigate the inordinate delay.

NJDad3 NJDad3
Apr '17

Pffft. Paying taxes is overrated. :)

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Apr '17

Well I got the letter telling me that I need to supply more information - again! So now I will be lucky if I get my $$$ by June.

I had a very nice experience this year. Filed (e-file via my accountant) on 3/5, got refund on 3/24.

Route 46
Apr '17

Filed on 1/30. Anyone get their taxes back yet who filed around that time frame? Thanks!

lorie lorie
Apr '17

Filed on 3/24 refund received today 4/11 via turbotax efile.

Mickey Mickey
Apr '17

Wow, that is some BS. People still waiting for returns from months ago, but someone just e-files 2 weeks ago and already has theirs. No offense to you, Mickey. Just annoying for those of us who filed months ago.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '17

Lorie,

I filed mine about a week after you and received my state refund about a month ago.

Tracy if it's any consolation this is the first year I received my State refund so quickly. I usually owe Federal tax but my State refunds have been all over the place. Maybe the method of filing has something to do with it. Certainly those who mail their returns in will wait longer.

Mickey Mickey
Apr '17

E-filed mid February and got Fed 2 weeks ago, NJ this past Saturday, which is good since it's all going to NY now

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '17

Do not mail the state return unless you have to. E File everything unless you are instructed otherwise.

You can google "where's my refund" and that will tell you when you should get it. You will need the exact amount of your refund, ss#, etc.. A few years ago we had our identities stolen and some ass filed taxes with our info. What a nightmare that was. Took 9 months to get our refund and we had to do all the work to prove we were not the criminal. Good times.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington or Wyoming - no state tax

skippy skippy
Apr '17

iJay, I'm not paying another fee to the State of NJ to e-file. They take enough nonsense money from me for every other damn thing you do.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '17

If I'm not mistaken you can file free through the NJ taxation page. At least you used to be able to.

@ Jesse: when I do that it doesn't give a date, only that it is in processing. E filed Feb 22nd via turbo tax.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '17

Still no refund (e-filed Feb 22nd via TurboTax). The state website continues to say it is in processing.

I decided to call state Senator Bucco office to voice concern about delays. They were kind enough to look into the matter with Trenton. Long story short: Treasury is saying that they have requested more information from us. BUT, we have not received any letter (or email). So, at this point the filing is just sitting in limbo. Bucco's office is looking into having the letter re-issued.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '17

OTE, this happened to me a few years ago. In my return, I had listed an old checking account that I closed and the NJ treasury was unable to direct deposit. They contacted me via mail. Good luck.

night owl night owl
Apr '17

So we got a letter on Monday, with an adjusted (read: reduced) refund amount. Apparently our "accountant" (my father) mis-calculated our tax liability. It's a simple formula, so maybe he just charted wrong, I don't know. So over two months to get that, now we're still waiting for the actual refund check, since naturally they can't send the two together.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '17

what's a refund?

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '17

This is the longest I've ever had to wait for my NJ refund. I usually get it in 2 weeks after filing. Just wanted to mention that I filed around February 9 and I finally got my dd date of this Friday, April 28.

Well, the check was in yesterday's mail. The status tracker on the website did not have any update, so I guess it's not very accurate, big surprise.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '17

Refund via direct deposit arrived finally this a.m.; e- filed via TurboTax Feb 22nd. If I had not called Senator Bucco's office it would still be in limbo land. What was really weird, after Bucco became involved, is that I received a call from Trenton. They asked for copy of my W2 etc. Emailed that and the refund was issued right away.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
May '17

Funny they took the money I owed in a day or two....

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
May '17

still waiting after e-filing in February ..

Grace
Jun '17

@Grace: Call NJ state Senator Bucco's office. They (Marilyn) was very effective in getting Trenton to be responsive.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jun '17

Does anyone know when the "tax freeze" checks are (supposedly) coming?

Bernie Bernie
Jun '17

OMG get on the phone to someone, anyone; your representative, tax accountant, state department. Send a letter or something don't just keep waiting! Get your money- IT'S YOURS! Squeaky wheel Bernie, squeaky wheel. Now the next time you post about this I want to hear you got the check.

Yeah, it's funny (well, ok, not funny at all) that if you don't file on time when you "owe" the State more you have to pay a penalty and you also owe them fines fees and/or penalties if you don't pay them by the filing date, yet they are under no legal obligation (apparently) to pay you when you're owed YOUR OWN MONEY (aka overpayment) BACK! Of course that also goes for the US Govt. as well.

Why don't THEY have a legal responsibility to return your overpayment on a timely basis or within a certain time frame of your filing date? They have had the use of YOUR money, as well as other people's money since it was collected. Whether it is a little or a lot, the taxpayer should have the usage of their own money to invest, save or spend as they see fit, not the State or Federal Govt.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '17

Agreed, Phil D!!!!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Jun '17

Is anyone aware that NJ has an Earned Income Credit kind of like the Federal one but not as much? Because of all the fraud, the state is asking for proof of your claim of dependents, earnings, etc. This is apparently the delay.

HtwnMom HtwnMom
Jul '17

Filed in Feb. In April I called and they said they mailed me a request for more info which I never got. Sent it in right away. In May I called to check on it and they said they never received my info. Found out I could upload the info so did that and now it is end of July and they have it as processing. RIDICULOUS.

Contacted my state senator's office. Hopefully that will help. Waiting 6 months now.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.