Spring has sprung...

The view outside my window doesn't agree, but my calendar says that the vernal equinox occurs approximately an hour from now. Looking forward to the warmer weather like we had back in February, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

Yeah, I am good, I got over 200 miles of snowmobiling in. I will let you guys have your spring now ;-)

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

200 miles???? Holy crap! That halfway to OHIO!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '17

Don't forget to go to Rita's today for a free sample on opening day. ;-)

How about the snow melts so we can get some baseball games and other spring sports in.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '17

I saw my first Robin but didn't have my phone!

Dairy Queen is offering one free vanilla soft serve cone today :). Happy Spring!!!

Jules Jules
Mar '17

Hackettstown Dairy Queen is not participating in Free Cone Day

Metsman Metsman
Mar '17

Boooooo to Hackettstown DQ!

Jules Jules
Mar '17

Washington DQ is. I saw people post on FB about it.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

I doubt there will be much snow by the end of the weekend with temperatures getting into the 60s on Saturday.

Yay - Let it melt, let it melt, let it melt. Then we can plant.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

Yes, time for the annual ritual of trying to turn mud into grass in the backyard.... sigh....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '17

JeffersonRepub - Ever try sod? It might be a little expensive, but it usually works even over mud, tilled to dry soil, fertilized and flattened. Anyone with a small John Deere and all of its attachments can do this job quickly. Good luck.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

Dianthus are growing like crazy in the non-snow areas. Very hardy perennials. And the climbing red rose, which was cut down to 30 inches, is starting to shoot out, ready to reach last years height of 8 feet. A few more days of good weather and I'll replant the herb garden. Love spring.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

DannyC, I thought you moved . Do you have the same 8 ft red rose bush that you had in Panther Valley.

Mariann Mariann
Mar '17

Mariann - I trimmed and transplanted the rose in November, along with dianthus and perennial herbs. All are sprouting now, even earlier than last year. Better sun at the new place, plus new top soil and fertilizer seems to make them happy.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

DannyC, I was asking because we are moving sometime in late August or early September. I have 2 Rose bushes that my son gave me and would like to take them with me. I wasn't sure how well they would transplant.

Mariann Mariann
Mar '17

Mariann - A bit of hard work, but dig at least a 24 inch circle and down 24 inches to get all of the roots exposed, deeper if necessary, trying not to break the roots. Then in their new environment, place them in an equivalent hole and gently pack with top soil and fertilizer (I've had success with Bayer rose food). Watering every other day and good sun also helps. Even though September is a bit early, it should still work. Good luck.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.