Snow - 3/14

The possible storm on Monday evening/Tuesday looks to be a good one for all the snow lovers. Not so much for the rest of us.

"Significant phasing of several areas of low pressure could result in a Superstorm for the area Tuesday. This system would be capable of dumping heavy amounts of snow across the tri-state..along with very strong wind gusts. Blizzard conditions even possible.....stay tuned." http://www.newjerseyweather.com/

"The set-up is about as perfect as you will ever see for a blizzard to develop along the Middle Atlantic Coast Tuesday…" http://theedgeweather.blogspot.com/

The original "mashup". David Bowie's son's favorite "Little Drummer Boy" and Bing Crosby's "Peace on Earth". Sung by the opposite person to make the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbJLo4x-tk

Perfect for some snowy nights.

Good one GC.

Hope it works out better than today's "storm"

Bug3
Mar '17

GC- thank you for that. I never saw it, and enjoyed both it, and reading about the history of it- how they didn't like each other but were basically forced to do the show was interesting.

You will probably enjoy this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJBFD-Wvc7U

Shame Bing died right afterwards, apparently walking off the course after one of his best golf games ever.

this storm could be historical... please get prepared now in case you get snowed in for 2 days at the most ... timing Monday Evening - All day Tuesday into Wednesday...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Mar '17

WOW! This could be the BIG ONE! Go to Shop Rite today. Do not wait until Monday. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Calico696, I will be going to Shoprite. Plenty of milk, but no cupcakes here!

maja2 maja2
Mar '17

Someone post that YouTube video with the guy going nuts about getting the bread and milk haha. Can't wait to put my husquevarna st324p to the test finally! Found the link https://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Mar '17

maja - I went yesterday, so we are all good here. However, if we get that much snow, I probably won't see the hubby for days.....

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Look on the bright side Calico. More beer money!

maja2 maja2
Mar '17

What was the issue with yesterday's storm? It played out exactly how it was predicted.

...morris county...
kinnelon 5.0 142 pm 3/10 trained spotter
green pond 5.0 140 pm 3/10 trained spotter
marcella 4.0 1140 am 3/10 trained spotter
lake hopatcong 3.9 1042 am 3/10 social media
butler 3.3 1206 pm 3/10 trained spotter
randolph twp 3.0 1042 am 3/10 trained spotter
parsippany 2.7 1254 pm 3/10 trained spotter

...sussex county...
whitehall 5.7 1153 am 3/10 social media
high point 5.7 1208 pm 3/10 trained spotter
byram twp 5.5 1108 am 3/10 social media
wantage 5.2 1207 pm 3/10 trained spotter
highland lakes 4.0 1226 pm 3/10 social media
swartswood 3.8 1103 am 3/10 trained spotter

...warren county...
allamuchy 4.3 1225 pm 3/10 trained spotter
stewartsville 4.3 1154 am 3/10 trained spotter
broadway 4.0 137 pm 3/10 trained spotter

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '17

yup, we got 4" here in Mansfield, luckily due to all the recent warm weather, none of the roads/driveways were affected- no shoveling!!

Not looking forward to this next one tho...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '17

@Beyan_NC.... are you seeing blizzard potential for Tuesday? I've always looked for your thoughts first.

Rosalie
Mar '17

I think you need to prepare for blizzard potential. A blizzard is really just a technicality. Bottom line - heavy snow and possibly a decent amount of wind. For days now the models have been showing 1 to 2 feet. Still 3 days to go so let's see exactly where the heaviest snow bands may set up.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '17

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me a gluten for punishment, but I am going to pickup another sled today. 1998 ZRT 800...figured it would be a good backup to my F1000

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

Thanks Bryan

Rosalie
Mar '17

@forcefed4door did you see his follow up one where he is outside in the snow with the bread and milk. So simple, but sooooooo funny... I watched it like 28 times (yeah, that happened lol)

weebiekins weebiekins
Mar '17

Bryan - None of the snow people are happy unless we get at least two feet. Even out of a storm that only had 3-5 inches predicted. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

I got gas for the generator, whiskey for the soul, and tried to get salt but no one has any out for sale yet... I'm sure they will as soon as the "official" forecast starts talking about snow.

Mar '17

Weebiekins, I'll check it out

Mar '17

No way to make French Toast with my kitchen gutted- what are we to do!

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '17

Re: Snow - 3/14

Right now NOAA has us with 3"-4", but of course it's too far out to have an accurate guess...

Mar '17

Jefferson, is that the prediction of the *whole* storm, or just a 12 hour period within it?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '17

Ah, good point- it IS only for 12 hours within the whole storm time period

Mar '17

Nope not at all ominous....."Analogs continue to support the super storm look....with 3 areas of low pressure combining into one. (3 storms in 1 practically) This system needs to be taken very seriously due to it's high chance of impact for the area. Winds close to hurricane force, and copious amounts of moisture could have most measuring snow in feet instead of inches. Southern NJ has the best chance of a mix, but trends this morning are already trending slightly colder, so even these areas could remain mostly all snow. Regardless, it seems like were still the only ones talking about the significant wind threat for days now. 60MPH to 80MPH wind gusts could occur near the coast and on long island...with heavy snow coming down simultaneously. This could be the biggest snowstorm for the area since the Super Storm of 93'." http://www.newjerseyweather.com/

^^^

I'm gonna cry. I hate winter and snow. Moving out of NJ ASAP for a myriad of reasons, but Nov-April always sucks around here.

asdr
Mar '17

**WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING(3/13/17) THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING(3/14/17)

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has issued a Winter Storm Watch, which is in effect from Monday evening through Tuesday evening.

* LOCATIONS...Eastern Pennsylvania, all but far southeastern New Jersey, northern Delaware, and the northern portions of the
Eastern Shore of Maryland.

* HAZARD TYPES...Heavy snow and strong winds.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Potential for storm total snowfall greater than 6 inches. However, there remains uncertainty in exact totals as a sharp gradient will exist between the heaviest snowfall and locations where very little snow may occur. Changes to the forecast track of the storm can result in substantial changes in
the total accumulations.

* TIMING...Snow begins Monday evening from southwest to northeast across the watch area. Snow will continue on Tuesday with potential for transition to a wintry mix or rain southeast of I-95. Any wintry mix or rain may transition back to snow Tuesday evening before diminishing Tuesday night.

* IMPACTS...Heavy snow may cause significant travel disruptions.

* WINDS...Northeast 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. The highest winds should occur southeast of the I-295 corridor.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow...sleet...or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Mar '17

Boom.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '17

ARRRGGHHHHHH

So that map, showing 15", is STILL only a 24-hour period, and it's going to be snowing longer than that...

Mar '17

About time winter came back!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

If the storm continues to tread east were gonna be the storm goes from major to minor.

Mar '17

http://weathernj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/snowmap3-11-2017.png

Latest update from weather.nj

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Mar '17

December , January or February, fine! Not now!! I've already been in shorts!

Bruce juice
Mar '17

First call map from EPAWA. They will do another map tomorrow night and a final call Monday night.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

This will be the typical hyped "blockbuster" storm of the century that will gradually fizzle out and give us maybe 8 inches. That's the way it aways goes folks. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get 3 feet and have the state paralyzed for 2 days.

LJRubi LJRubi
Mar '17

NOAA as of 4am 3/12 had it moving a bit East. Thing is this movement moved us 2 inches lower but still covers the same area. So sure, 8 inches is a possibility if moves more East, will increase if moves more West.

Best part is wind declines as it moves East so I am guessing even Darrin would take a few less inches for less 40-mph gusts. Snow is fun, drifting can be much more dangerous.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '17

From EPAWA this morning:

Sunday March 12th: Good morning...

We remain in Storm Mode until further notice. There will be shifts with the 2nd call today, and also categorical upgrades in amounts of snow expected for some areas, which we will detail at 5pm today. A little hint, this will likely increase totals for some areas of eastern PA, much of northern NJ and central NJ, while shifting the axis of heavy snow a bit farther southeast from our first call on weather alerts, http://epawaweather.com/weather-alerts/.

These changes are normal leading up to a storm and is the purpose of the first, second, and final call map system. Expect the map publicly at 5pm today.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Snow drifts are fun on the snowmobile, bring it, just don't knock out the power, that's a PITA!

Messing with the generator is less time on the sled!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

"Snow drifts are fun on the snowmobile, bring it, just don't knock out the power, that's a PITA!"

If you wanna' mess with the bull, you might get the horns.

Mar '17

Picked up an inch and half down here. Most all winter. Nice to see snow. But I love that we have legit spring down here.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '17

We USED to have a legit spring.... must be that global warm..uh, I mean... cooling....LOL

Mar '17

"Snow drifts are fun on the snowmobile, bring it, just don't knock out the power" Just be sure you don't hit that immovable object that's drift hidden. Many a paralysis comes from that special behavior.

Coming from snow country, us experienced types would think your zeal a bit cold. Drifting is a major cause of cars pulling over, leaving that engine on a bit long as the tail pipe gets drifted over. And we had many a snow fence to cut them down. All of that is gone now and we haven't had a really good road closing drift blizzard in a long while. Even in the snowiest of locations where you would think they would know better, claims a few every year it seemed. When it's blowing hard it can happen in minutes.

I have been trudging through the snow, got to an edge of a short steep hill, didn't notice the level ground I was walking on was a bit longer than yesterday and have disappeared falling into a drift from the top overlapping the hill. Lucky it was a short drift and I could break out the front face.... Ok, kind of fun really and yes, I went back for more....and more.

I have walked up a drift right on to my first floor roof.

I have "beached" my 4wd truck lifting it up on it's frame in a drift.

I have seen them where you can't plow em, you have to front loader them out of the way.

And I have had a ball skiing right into the drift face like smashing waves coming in at the beach. These can be fun too given that it's a know hill. A good friend, Olympic bound, was paralyzed doing the same thing off the main slopes. Unfortunate and he really knew what he was doing.

Oh yeah, once I was blasting through really big ones in parking lots with the truck only to see a radio antenna sticking out of the snow next to my door...uh oh

So be careful, perhaps not so unknowing of the danger to others, and be certain you know what's underneath before you plow on through.

Mar '17

"If you wanna' mess with the bull, you might get the horns."

Then so be it, but don't say I was not trying to be reasonable!

My gen is all set for weeks of run time

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

JeffersonRepub,

That is not how global warming works whatsoever. That's like having a sunny day in a rainforest then saying "huh, more like a dry forest!".

LOL.

ihakyz77 ihakyz77
Mar '17

**WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM MONDAY(3/13/17) TO 6 PM EDT TUESDAY(3/14/17)**

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow, which is in effect from 8 PM Monday
to 6 PM EDT Tuesday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.

* LOCATIONS...Eastern Pennsylvania and much of northern New Jersey.

* HAZARD TYPES...Heavy snow and strong winds.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Snow accumulation of 8 to 18 inches.

* TIMING...Snow begins Monday evening from southwest to northeast across the warning area, becoming heavy at times with snowfall
rates of one to two inches per hour late Monday night and Tuesday morning. Snow will diminish by Tuesday evening.

* IMPACTS...The heavy snow will make travel difficult or
impossible late Monday night and Tuesday.

* WINDS...Northeast 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

* VISIBILITIES...One quarter mile or less at times, especially Tuesday morning.

* TEMPERATURES...Generally in the 20s.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an
emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight... food...and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Mar '17

Let it snow, may all be safe !

just coach just coach
Mar '17

ihakyz77,

Mar '17

18-24+ wooohoooo

Helping hands Helping hands
Mar '17

18"-24" #$@&%*!

Helping hands go fly a kite!!!!

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Mar '17

+1 Bonv !!!!

Mar '17

LOL Bonv. Love a good sense of humor . So is this an official KABOOM ?

just coach just coach
Mar '17

Just coach yes it is an official kaboom on the verge of dude where's my car haha

Mar '17

I saw a bright red cardinal today, among the brown brush.
Hate the snow but don't fear it, now the wind thats what causes trouble, trees, power, home damage etc, not good.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

Great picture JR!

JC - so true, we will need it over the next few days :-)

PSA: remember to check and make sure you have at least a 1-week supply of any medicine(s) you take on hand. Your doctor can help you out with an early pick-up or phoned-in refill tomorrow if you do not.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

FYI If you run out of salt you can use sugar.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '17

Better make sure you have your emergency kits ready. Cordless radio, flashlight, non perishables, full gas cans, road flares, flare gun flares, etc. Yippie!

Mar '17

We are going to get slammed. :(

MNJ, won't that make the pasta taste funny? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

Gun flares!? We do not have gun flares. Should I be worried? They sure sound like fun.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

KABOOM! That's the way it looks right now! Yikes!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Weatherworks is usually very good for the local forcast:
http://www.weatherworksinc.com/radiowx/wrnj

justintime justintime
Mar '17

Snow lovers rejoice! Watching the various weather models coming in since about 11PM tonight. They're basically backing up what most of us already know....KABOOM!!

John Elliott on Ch. 2 just said 12-24" out here, locally 30"!!!!

WTH!!!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '17

The whole 'snow lover' thing is a lot of crap with snowfalls this big. These kinds of storms kill people, they're not fun.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Mar '17

Hopefully everyone will stay safe. Is everyone ready for this? Does anyone need any help with anything?

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Well, if my husband's flight gets cancelled tonight, I'll be stuck alone with two toddlers, a dog and 2 feet of snow.

Does anyone have an actual time frame for the beginning of the storm? He's due in to Trenton around 11pm.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

Tracy, been there, done that. We live :) Have fun!

Unless his flight is delayed due to weather somewhere else, he should beat the storm. Always good to move up the flight.

maja2 maja2
Mar '17

Yes Rebecka, can you please shovel my driveway?

LJRubi LJRubi
Mar '17

Around 1am. I just heard on the Weather Channel that if your flight gets in to a NE airport at 6am you might be fine... after that, you're facing cancelations. I wouldn't count on him making it home, Tracy.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

gotta get a snowsuit and some waders - otherwise I"m set--oh and a carrot for the nose

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

I have carrots!

Rebecka can you get me bread and milk!?!?

pamela pamela
Mar '17

Rebecka, he's due in tonight. Not tomorrow. Is that what you meant?

Thanks, maja. No moving up the flight, it's the only one of the day. My bargain basement husband and his crappy transportation decisions.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

I hope the garbage company and schools calls it before I go to bed. Don't want cans out overnight, and I like to know if I can sleep in before setting the alarm.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '17

How does Sanico let people know? I checked website and Facebook earlier but nothing there.

Hopeful Hopeful
Mar '17

He should be fine, Tracy! Thank goodness.

I see my to-do list is growing lol. But I'm serious. It's likely because twice in my life I was physically incapacitated (after back surgeries) that I now worry about everyone. My head is like, "What about the pregnant women?! What about the elderly!!??" I hope if anyone does actually need help and doesn't have family or friends nearby, they can reach out and count on their community to lend a hand.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Hopeful- keep checking the website. I'll be checking right up until I go to bed. I can't imagine there will be pick up if it's a snow emergency. If they cancel it their website will tell you when it resumes.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '17

pv announced wednesday and saturday pick ups this week

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

Now this is a map lol.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Mar '17

Tracy- Frontier out of Trenton. Best way to fly.
Suppose to start around midnight. Depends on where he's flying from.

Mar '17

That's the one, Bothered. He's in Florida, where they have thunderstorms expected. FFS.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

I take frontier back and forth to Charlotte sometimes. It is good but known to cancel.

Multiple models showing 20-30. Insane stuff I am seeing!

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '17

A coworker's friend had a flight from Florida cancelled already. It was today.

maja2 maja2
Mar '17

I just called Danica, they said a decision will be made by EOB today (4pm) They said call back around dinner time and check the delayed/holiday message or you check their FB page too I was told.

weebiekins weebiekins
Mar '17

Sanico, I called Sanico loool

weebiekins weebiekins
Mar '17

I was looking forward to going snow shoeing this weekend, but now I'm getting a little nervous.

We are as prepared as we can be, food, water, batteries, gas for the snow blower and generator and (most importantly if you ask Gunner, Georgie and Fitz) dog food and treats. I love what Rebecka said - hopefully people reach out and hopefully people help out. I just saw Mt Holly's (Mt Hairball!) latest "An extreme situation is developing.." YIKES!

Stay safe everyone and good luck!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Mar '17

At least there's a very good chance our homes won't look like this poor soul's by tomorrow night. So, we can be thankful for that. :)

http://abc7ny.com/weather/house-freezes-over-in-upstate-new-york/1797695/

Pretty neat link below, compliments of NJ.com - where magnifying glass is (Search button) type in your town it will put a map pin on the map click mouse over map pin and it will provide the expected accumulation for your location.

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/03/map_how_much_snow_will_the_nj_blizzard_drop_in_your_driveway.html#incart_river_home_pop

luvlife
Mar '17

That's pretty cool luvlife!

Hopeful Hopeful
Mar '17

Now were in a blizzard warning

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Mar '17

My husband can't get a flight until Friday. When he called to try and change his flight yesterday, they would only do it for $325 (more than his ticket cost) since there was no Winter Weather Advisory for Monday. So now they cancelled his flight and can't re-book him until Friday. This is why you don't fly budget.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

That map is cool...

Yep, just saw that Mt Hairball (Mt Holly) recently expanded the blizzard warning, fasten your seatbelts!!!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Mar '17

They've already closed schools for tomorrow.

jrsemom jrsemom
Mar '17

Phillipsburg Honda and Warren Animal Hospital (in Phillipsburg) already closed for tomorrow. Looks like everyone has accepted SNOWMAGEDDON and are taking pre-emptive actions. Good. The fewer people on the road the next 24 hours, the better.

Mar '17

Weatherworks forecast:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1405299219536284&id=148566751876210&substory_index=0

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Mar '17

Hey Bryan NC Are you saying 20-30 inches in Hackettstown specifically or in another location? Thanks for your time on our behalf.

JUST COACH JUST COACH
Mar '17

Tracy, where is he flying in from?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

Latest from NOAA. Looking like 20-30 inches all told.

Tonight
Snow, mainly after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 24. Light and variable wind becoming northeast 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow. High near 29. Blustery, with a north wind 21 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Scattered snow showers, mainly before 8pm. Areas of blowing snow after 8pm. Cloudy, with a low around 17. Northwest wind 8 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Wednesday
A chance of snow showers, mainly after 2pm. Areas of blowing snow. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Northwest wind 7 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday Night
A chance of snow showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Northwest wind 10 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

ianimal, it was Punta Gorda/Ft. Myers. He's now booked on Amtrak arriving Wednesday evening. I had to convince him that renting a car and driving was out of the question.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

OMG- Just heard Bottle King will be closed tomorrow. For those who waited, HURRY!!

auntiel auntiel
Mar '17

Tracy, do you have family or friends in the area that you can go and stay with?

Mariann Mariann
Mar '17

Yea Frontier only flies on certain days to Trenton. Prices are insane sometimes for what you get, but overall the cheapest.
You'll do just fine Tracy. If you need a helper I think Rebeca is handing out help. Lol! Keep chin up! : )

Mar '17

Tracy

Facebook message me if you need any help tomorrow.

Jim L Jim L
Mar '17

weebiekins - I was wondering what Danica Patrick knew about garbage pick up. LOL

Tracy - Sorry that your husband won't make it home. My husband won't be around either. He'll be out plowing and salting the County roads. He has to be in by 11 tonight and I'm sure I won't see him until at least Wednesday night. I will be attempting some type of shoveling 5 weeks out from elbow tendon surgery. Oh the fun!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Thanks Jim! I know we'll be okay. We have everything we need at home, so hopefully the kids will be kind to me.

Everyone enjoy their snow day and be safe.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

My husband just left for Portland Oregon today for 10 days. I'm stocked up with essentials!

Bottle King will be closed?!?!?! Sweet mother of God!!!!!!

Mar '17

Get there quickly JR!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Coach I'm saying 15-20 but I've seen 20-30 on several models so be prepared.

BBU I've paid like 19 bucks on frontier. Yes you do for even a carry on but overall stil worth it usually.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '17

Good luck everyone & try to stay safe.

I'm not a doctor (nor do I pretend to be) but I heard this interesting tip .... take a baby aspirin before you head out to shovel (probably more important for those unused to strenuous exercise or more mature :-))

Just bought meatloaf mix, shells and cheddar, plus Gala apples for baking. Comfort food tomorrow. Already stocked up on Purina Complete and tuna for the cat. The best to you all, and please stay safe. This too shall pass.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

State of emergency declared.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/hold_christie_declares_state_of_emergency_as_blizz.html

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Just hoping my office isn't dumb enough to ask us to come in tomorrow. I'm calling out regardless, but I'd like to not use PTO. Stay safe everyone.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Mar '17

In the same boat dancicus fighticus

Mar '17

Pretty lit my fam

DogzRKool DogzRKool
Mar '17

Ok, I'm set! I have plenty of vodka and just got a crash course from Hubby on how to run the generator.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

I am so excited I can't even see straight!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

Darrin- So is my hubby. Omg- his trailer (covered) sits in front of the snow blower. Cars are moved away from the garage so the sled can come out. He told work see you Monday!! I am happy for him. Finally. I'm on vaca.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '17

This is all your fault Darrin....

;)

duabo
Mar '17

Some of my friends at the nyc metro weather board are hosting a show about the storm tonight at 9pm. Joe Bastardi and I believe Dave Tolleris will be on.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nymetroweather/2017/03/14/blizzard-of-2017

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '17

I just fired them all up just to be extra sure!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

I'm jealous of the snowmobiles!!

Hopeful Hopeful
Mar '17

Everyone stay safe and warm. Hopefully power stays on. We are set with lots of catfood, dogfood and crochet projects. A few good books and crockpot soup that I will start in the morning. Lots of extra blankets, just in case....should be interesting all around.

Dansker Dansker
Mar '17

Anddddd my work closed with pay yay

Mar '17

That may be the only way to get around tomorrow, Darrin!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Darrin are all the seats taken?

I've never rode a sled but my best friend recently moved to Colorado and almost immediately (within 2 months) he bought a snowmobile and has gone nuts posting videos to youtube all the time. Looks like fun.

I'd be more than happy to pay a 'rental' fee to try one- and bring beer, vodka, etc...

:)

Just put generator into manual mode. Any one else who has whole house generator, make sure you don't let that sucker turn on if the snow builds above the intake. You will be very unhappy.

Mar '17

Where is the intake? Do I have to shovel around the generator? I'll be home alone tomorrow. Any info greatly appreciated.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Josh, you sound like you'd be a good buddy.

All this generator talk has me a bit nervous. Any "jimmy the Greeks" out there want to set the line on the probability of a power outage?

Consigliere
Mar '17

PLEASE don't lose power! If we do it will be very hard for the linemen to get around. They will be snowed in also.

infogirl
Mar '17

Rebecka - I was told to dig around the generator (I have the GenTech one w/ cover). Primarily b/c if anything happens you need to be able to get to it and have it accessible.

Thank you both. DH just said yes, he *forgot* to tell me to keep the generator clear of snow. That would not have been fun to have it overheat!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

The reality is there will be power outages. It's just a matter of how far and wide. Fingers crossed for minimal disturbances. This storm is dangerous.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Mar '17

Dang, Bob. So you're saying 100%? There could be some money to be made on a bet there :)

Consigliere
Mar '17

If you think there will be not a single power outage through this storm, I will bet you anything Consigliere!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

Yeah I would say there is now way we all come out of this without losing power. Some of us will for sure.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Mar '17

Plant is closed tomorrow, supplies procured, generator ready. Amazon and Netflix queues loaded. Bring it.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '17

Snow has started in Oxford. I don't think I can ever recall seeing Blizzard Warnings so expansive from the Jersey shore to as far inland as out to Scranton PA! Dangerous storm indeed. An incredible next 24 hours!! Be safe all!!

Think the generac is in the back and sides. Sides might be exhaust but I do those too.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '17

forgot to get the milk - forgot to get the bread

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

Flakes just started here in Hackettstown, here we go!

Good for you, helping hands. I'm going to hope the call to my office in the morning is just as good.

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Mar '17

It has been snowing in Hopatcong for the last half hour or so and harder than I expected (this early). I have 2 kids under 2 and no generator (we just moved to Hopatcong and always lived on the hospital grid), but I have an amazing neighbor who has offered to let us share his massive one.

Enjoy the snow everyone (or not) haha

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Mar '17

Snow has started in Independence and sticking already.

sunshinenj

I'm in Hopatcong too, but no generator either. No dog to help keep each other warm anymore either. That always helped. Hopefully there won't be too many trees down into the wires up this way I live only a block or so from the High School, but the power lines run down toward me and I'm at the end of the line and sadly not on the same grid as the High School, even though you'd think it would be.

Sometimes we get hit really badly up here weatherwise and the power doesn't even so much as blink the lights, other times in a relatively mild storm it'll be out for hours. Best of luck everyone and keep warm! Fortunately Newburgh Rd. has that substation right next to the trucking company, so I know work will be up and running and warm, even if my house isn't!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '17

It was all fun and games leading up to this potentially historic storm, until I saw this sign!!! NOW it's an emergency!!!

4catmom -- who needs milk when you can have ice-cream!
Sometimes I put it in my coffee!
:-)

happiest girl
Mar '17

Wish mine would go somewhere!
Oh sorry that should go on the venting thread. ; )

Mar '17

So my 60 year old husband said to me. " I will get my cross country skis out make a harness and pull Ben ( 3 year old grandson ) on a sled on the Sussex Branch Trail for some exercise when the roads clear. 4 miles not too bad. " Gotta love it. He meant it and I know he can do it easily.

JUST COACH JUST COACH
Mar '17

Dual pol radar link......the yellow area is where that sneaky rain/snow mix line starts. Let's see how far north it gets later today!!

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=DIX-N0C-1-24

It's all about the odds, darrin. If you think it's that likely, would you take 1000:1 odds on $100? Please let me know :)

Consigliere
Mar '17

I just finished my first pass of shoveling. About 5 inches. It's really picking up out there now.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Just went to a blizzard here in Mansfield, going out now to shovel some out back so at least the dog can go out.

Mar '17

Have about 5-6" so far in Hackettstown - dug out the generator and pulled my neck in the process. No longer cut-out for so much of this white stuff.

24.5 inches now predicted for us via that very cool map luvlife posted. Yesterday it indicated "just" 19.3 inches. This just keeps getting worse. Or better, if your name is Darrin. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

It's heavier than I expected. 5-6 inch generator cleaning, that's eager.

I wait till the lights go out :>)

Mar '17

Right now- looking outside-I am thinking ....pretty. Ok. Must keep that thought in my head.

A good day
Mar '17

7:45am update: The storm is in the process of rapidly intensifying near the Mouth of the Chesapeake, and will move to the NE as shown on the image over the next several hours. We see the usual "call bust before it's got a chance to really start" crowd is out this morning, spooked by sleet falling in many areas. But relax. This was due to an an earlier East wind/Ocean wind effect. But as this low organizes and deepens, that sleet will go over to very heavy snow and wind will change direction. We are NOT making changes to anything, let this play out. Snow goes through the afternoon, heaviest next several hours. The local forecasts have the next 6 days.

https://www.facebook.com/epawawx/

duabo
Mar '17

THIS IS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

I decided not to ride out the storm alone in town and am staying with a friend in Union County. We had snow up until about half an hour ago. Now it changed to the most intense and heavy sleet/freezing rain/ice (I don't know the correct term) I think I have ever experienced. I can't believe I am saying this, but I can't wait for the snow to come back! Snow you can deal with, ice is out of your control.

MO H'town MO H'town
Mar '17

Darrin, why don't you come shovel my driveway since you love it so much. Shouldn't you be out playing in the snow?

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

It's almost a whiteout; can barely see house across the street!

It sounds like freezing rain in Independence now.

Buddy19
Mar '17

Now it's hailing!

sleeting the size of peas in Allamuchy plus fierce size snowflakes:(
turned my heat up to 78 in case power goes

lorie lorie
Mar '17

9 am map, seems to open a lower amount band just south of us but really no change for us. So far they are not showing any ice but don't think they forecasted sleet for us either....

Wind should be moving around towards the N and NW during the afternoon and will lessen tonight but still be at a fairly good pace right through tomorrow.

Watch that shoveling. It was heavy and now is getting heavier.

Mar '17

Sleeting like mad in Oxford. I don't understand, it's 21 degrees here. Should be all snow. I'm hesitant to do another shoveling pass now. Aren't you supposed to let the ice fall on top of the snow?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Just made an attempt at my driveway and walk, all while the little one keeps opening the door and crying at me. Nowhere to even put it all with the houses so close together. Have to keep lifting and carrying it. And pea sized ice nuggets (hail, sleet?).

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

Ground temp doesn't matter much. Warm layers above cause sleet etc

The sleet will keep amounts from being too crazy

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Mar '17

Yeah- who ordered the sleet?
Fire going, dog "emptied", and French toast made and consumed:) Got a single electric burner the other day since I have a shell of a kitchen at the moment

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '17

Happy with the sleet because it will keep the amounts lower and it doesn't look like we have trees/wires icing over. Downside is that those mountains at the end of our driveways will now be mounds of ice.

Just came back from putting 10 miles on the sled....LOVING IT!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

just watched a large black bird - crow or grackle catch and eat a little bird it caught at one of my feeders - did anyone ever hear of that happening?

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

Back to all snow here.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Just called the cops!! some crazy nut snowmobiling all over town (Just kidding)

Brad2
Mar '17

Power outages starting; so far 80 folks for Warren but 1,700 for Morris so hopefully will continue to stay East of us.

Mar '17

Calico, yes you should let the sleet fall on top of the snow. Then you have the snow to grab. My husband once cleared all the snow off of the driveway with sleet coming down. I told him not to, but did he listen???? No he did not and we had ice on the 175-foot long driveway for the rest of the very cold winter.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Mar '17

So is this storm actually going to give us a foot? Looking at the radar it doesn't seem like there's much more.

What time is it supposed to end?

Ihaky45 Ihaky45
Mar '17

you have taken that bet Darrin.

Consigliere
Mar '17

NOAA, 1 hour ago:

TIMING...Heavy snow will continue through the morning and into
part of the afternoon. Snowfall rates of three to four inches
per hour are expected for an hour or two between now and 2 PM.
The snow will diminish considerably late in the day.

Mar '17

Are we done?

Snowmeiser
Mar '17

4catmom, yuck that had to be horrific to see! I have heard of that though I've never seen it. I know hawks do it.

LAME!

Consigliere
Mar '17

Stopped snowing? It's raging in Diamond Hill

Mar '17

It might have switched from snow to rain east of here in Morris County, but the snow is still coming down here quite a bit. And it might be ending earlier than the 5PM they originally thought, but there's probably a good couple hours still left. Might get some sleet again, and there was graupel for a small time. So still sitting tight here. Some of the neighbors with the one stage blowers were forced out earlier, but I've got 10 HP ready to do it all in one shot. ;-)

Seems like it has stopped snowing already at 11:30 AM in the Hackettstown area. Threw out some bread pieces for the birds and it is not covered with snow. Lots of birds, though, including a beautiful red cardinal and his mate, plus chickadees, finches and those nutty nuthatches, who pick up food and then find a branch to hang upside down and eat. Drives the cat crazy to have to watch birds from inside, since she will not be let out until everything is shoveled.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

Graupel...

you learn something new everyday (supposedly lol)

Graupel (German pronunciation: [ˈɡʁaʊpəl]; English /ˈɡraʊpəl/), also called soft hail or snow pellets, is precipitation that forms when supercooled droplets of water are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm (0.08–0.20 in) balls of rime.

Mar '17

Still snowing like mad here!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Snowing pretty heavy in Hackettstown and quite windy. Hoping power stays on, just got notice about Chester and Washington losing power. Trying a new soup today, bean with bacon, smells delicious.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '17

Calico696, Lots of Snow still falling outside my abode in Indy. We have 13" or 14". Wish it would slow down or better still Stop!! The wind is becoming very fierce too, and my Prayer is that the electricity does not go out. We probably will not get out before Thursday:( We have a difficult driveway. The road has not yet seen a plow and there has been No attempt by anything to travel the road..

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Mar '17

Picture doesn't do it justice but it's snowing very heavily in Liberty now, really picked up again in the last 40 minutes!

Brendan Brendan
Mar '17

The pause must have been the "eye" of the storm. Now snow is coming down again in Hackettstown area. Let it stop, let it stop, let it stop.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

ok, jeez! I take it back! This wind is crazy!

Consigliere
Mar '17

Brendan, how much snow you have there? Not much at all on the roof

Mar '17

Hackettstown Public Schools closed tomorrow..but shhhhh don't tell Metsman!

Scottso Scottso
Mar '17

We have well over 18" in Hackettstown and it's still snowing like crazy.
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Pretty cold out there. The chickadees are all puffed up, and look like meatballs on sticks.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

With all the wind I don't know how anyone can get an accurate measurement, I just came in an some areas of driveway seamed to only have about 6" and other 10"-12"!!!

Dadof3
Mar '17

Bonv -- that's a great site. Thanks for posting.

happiest girl
Mar '17

Consigliere, there have been power outages since 5am if not earlier, I am doing you a favor.....plus, to be honest, I don't understand how betting on odds works

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

Forcefed4door- were on top of a hill so the wind is pretty intense, blowing it all off the roof (thankfully). I honestly have no idea how much snow we have so far, I've waded into drifts close to 3' and other spots with barely 8".

Brendan Brendan
Mar '17

Inside to warm up and eat, but this is a freakin BLAST!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

I need someone to plow my driveway. Who can I call ?

foodie1976
Mar '17

Just had the dogs out and it's up to their stomachs... Georgie was not impressed!

It still seems to be coming down here (top of the hill in Mount Olive) and the wind is crazy and the drifts are building.

This has been the pups most the day.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Mar '17

Look in the classifieds on this site, foodie. Plenty of names and numbers.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

I could cry. My neighbor took another pass at my driveway with his monster snow blower when he got home from work.

So much had blown back on from when I cleared it earlier. I was able to take down most of it with our wimpy electric thrower during nap time.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

Tracy, some neighbors are wonderful!! I'm happy for you.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Mar '17

Anybody else see the guy from Hackettstown on ABC World News Tonight claiming he got 18 inches?..I thought we were closer to a foot

Bug3
Mar '17

a bit over a foot here in allamuchy-last I measured -

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

I'm in Hackettstown & I thought we had closer to 20". One of the NOAA reports had us at 18" at 12:15 pm. I shoveled in stages so it's really hard to tell.

One thing for sure - I didn't miss this white stuff at all, nope.

Measured 20" in PV. Snow was heavy, too.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Mar '17

Bug3 - I didn't but my mom in PA did. She wanted to know more about that, she said it looked like there was some kind of "athletic field" behind them when it was shown? Can't find anything on the ABC website that replays the news cast.

I have no idea how much we got in Oxford. Too much blowing around. Some places have over 2 feet, others 4 inches.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

GC, it was a baseball field with a big metal backstop. To the left was a large oval parking lot. In front was just a big open field. It wasn't Tannery.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

We got around 12" in Independence.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '17

ABC was at Riverfront Park where the Husband and I often walk. Picture was really nice.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Mar '17

MrsPipes - Thanks. I went through the baseball fields I know and was about to ask if maybe it was more of a circular driveway like in front of the high school. I was going to rule out Riverfront because that would be more like an oblong lot even though with more than one row it might be taken for "oval". Mom is gonna die that it's so close to me.

Took tomorrow off from work to go to high point snowmobiling......told my boss I have more important things to do!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

I realize Hackettstown got at least 18 inches but I'm surprised and disappointed at how poorly the roads in my area (near Dunkin' Donuts) were plowed. It's solid ice now. Do they just not bother with certain parts of town when schools close for snow? I can't see how they will break up this ice given the temperatures this week. Not even a salt truck so far.

Squirrelgirl Squirrelgirl
Mar '17

My road finally got plowed at about 7:30 pm. They did do one pass at about 8:00 this morning, but that was basically useless. Hubby is still out, been since 10:00 last night. Said he would be until at least midnight maybe later. With this wind there is a lot of drifting snow. Sigh...

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

The storm of 61 was a good one!

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Mar '17

Mine Hill Rd 1961

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Mar '17

Love those pictures Peggy !!

happiest girl
Mar '17

Looks like we hit the jackpot in Hackettstown with 20"! The amount was noted by a public spotter, but a trained spotter had us at 18" around 12:15 so I am guessing that is a pretty good final reading.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

weather.com local says 2" more by 8 pm today
possible snow Saturday.. oh boy

lorie lorie
Mar '17

I just saw Hackettstown on News 12! A segment on how hard it's been to dig out in this area.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Mar '17

Hackettstown has been on Channel 4 News tonight too! Did some interviews with people on Main Street. I guess it wasn't a bust for Hackettstown. How I wish I lived in one of the areas that lucked out on this one, LOL. Sorry Darrin.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.