Instant Pot

Does anyone use the Instant Pot or a programmable pressure cooker. Like? Hate? Easy to use? Easy to clean? Any great recipes to try?

Dndp
Jan '17

Oh I thought this was something else...

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Jan '17

...says HappyTeacher......and now we know why....

This thread might get interesting, always looking for new recipes...

JWolfe75 JWolfe75
Jan '17

love it - what you want to cook - I am a font of all knowledge - have the 8 qt

https://www.youtube.com/user/nilihcg/featured

check her out on youtube - pressure cooker for life!! lol

skippy skippy
Jan '17

I knew, but I forget, and now I am hungry.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '17

I got one a few weeks ago. Very easy to clean. So far I have made a few things in it and I like it, but I'm having a hard time figuring out timing of meals since it always take a different length of time to come to pressure. I find removing some items from it are difficult, depending on size. I need to get some of the recommended tools and accessories. Tomorrow night's dinner is going to be done in the Instant Pot.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Jan '17

Been considering one, would be interesting to hear more.

Steven Steven
Jan '17

I have been considering the 8 qt. A standard pressure cooker scares me, but this sounds safer. My grandmother used a pressure cooker all the time and every meal was delicious and quick.. With our busy lives, this is sounding like an option for healthy meals quicker.

Dndp
Jan '17

They have a locking collar on the lid - can't happen with these

skippy skippy
Jan '17

I got one for Christmas (the 6 qt) and I've used it at least 15 times already. There is no shortage of good recipes on the internet, and even the recipes that come with the cooker are very good. (Unlike most of those recipe books included with appliances.)

Read the instructions! It's unlike any other device you have, and there are a few important things you will want to be aware of. It is multi-functional and once you've got everything prepped and the lid is closed, you can truly just 'set it and leave it.'

I've cooked stew, soup, mashed potatoes, oatmeal (steel cut), meatballs and chicken dishes, just to name a few. It does a great job with hard boiled eggs. The only thing I've been disappointed with is fresh green vegetables, unless you like yours soft. But I only tried those once, so some more experimentation is needed.

As far as the name, Happy Teacher, my favorite slogan parody that I've heard so far is "Uber for Weed."

Bob L Bob L
Jan '17

The Instant Pot company has a facebook page called Instant Pot Community (picture of the Instant Pot as their cover photo) which has very useful information and recipes. Great place to ask questions and learn new things.

Mrs. Resident Mrs. Resident
Jan '17

I bought one a few months ago and love it! Check out www.skinnytaste.com for some recipes too - healthy takes on some favorite recipes and she's adapted many for the Instant Pot. A couple of good recipes from that site that I've made recently are the Beef & Tomato Acini di Pepe soup and Salisbury Steak meatballs. Enjoy yours!

I just got the Instant Pot. I think it's great!!!

Michele B Michele B
Jan '17

Make some ribs in it with apple juice - fall off the bone good

skippy skippy
Jan '17

I love mine!!!

dooni dooni
Jan '17

https://www.youtube.com/user/flolum

Flo has a lot of good recipies

skippy skippy
Jan '17

I just picked one of these up as an impulse buy at Costco... it was $105 marked down to $80, so I figured what the hell. I've seared meat in it using the saute function, made sausage and peppers using the crock pot function and pulled pork using it as a pressure cooker. I love its diversity. I put my other crockpots on a shelf in the garage and this baby is staying front and center in the pantry

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

What kind of meat did you sear in it?

JWolfe75 JWolfe75
Oct '18

Clicked on this thread thinking it might be about the law rumored to pass this month.

Hahaha.

No, I don't smoke. I'm a beer guy.

But I like to eat- my wife is the cook. I know I could google- but for sake of conversation, what is this thing..? We already have a crock pot..

It's a new-fangled pressure (quick) cooker that can do double-duty as a crock pot (but faster).... basically... all the rage....

I still like my crock pot.

And I still much prefer my Dutch Oven (La Creuset type) to both. The crock pot does come in handy occasionally tho.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '18

My Dutch oven is now on a shelf in the garage too. Made a bitching jambalaya for the football games last weekend.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

JWolfe, chicken thighs for Arroz con Pollo and also a top round roast that I made yankee pot roast out of.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

My Crockpot is going to get awfully dusty. Instant Pot is amazing. No use for my Crockpot al all now

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '18

Have one...and they are "that good."

Far better than a crock pot, unless you need something extra to hot-hold when you have a party....

You can do pretty much anything, even saute with them, and they make great hard boiled eggs, too!

The silicone gasket does absorb food odors though, so don't try to make rice pudding after cooking a dish with onions.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Oct '18

Considering finally getting one.....wondering if people are still finding them useful?

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Sep '19

We have a 6 qt Instant Pot and we definitely use it. There are so many good and easy recipes online -including a few facebook groups...........We use it more in cooler weather when we want heavier meals.

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '19

Thanks for bringing this back. Was wondering who rules in this. Which X-in-1 version is best? Any size too small?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '19

Don't understand your first question but I'd say less than 6qt is too small for much.

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '19

Appears to be different versions like 6 in 1, 7 in 1, 8, 9, 10....

Sep '19

Glad this has come up again, I have one, out of the box, but never used. Hoping to use it with some advice from here.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '19

Lots of really good websites with recipes - all pretty easy peasy--you can start here among other places: https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/articles/how-to-make-the-perfect-omelet-a-step-by-step-guide

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '19

Anyone have the 3 quart? Wondering if you can make a one pound bag of dry beans in that size.

happiest girl
Sep '19

I just want to know is the 10 to 1 version twice as good as the 6 to 1? Or even better? Which things are good and which don’t people use?

Sep '19

I have the eight quart Power Cooker and love it. I love being able to make soups and stews in 30 minutes instead of cooking for hours. This year I even used it to can some stuff from the garden.

Dndp
Sep '19

Been using one for several years now. First I had a 6-quart IP-Lux, after 3 years it stopped working, replaced it with a 6-quart IP-DUO. I use it at least once a week.

Bemused Bemused
Sep '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.