New Cafe Opening in Hackettstown - Main Street Cafe

Looks like there is a new cafe opening, next to James on Main. Anyone have any more information on what it will be like and when it will be opening?

htownmom htownmom
Dec '16

Anyone from BID who can comment? I saw it, too!

Are you talking about the new sandwich place opening next to C&L?

Hot under the collar
Dec '16

No, hot under the collar. That is going to be called "Monchy's". This is between James on Main (the old Churrascaria, Dimaio's Pizza before that) and Exotic Custom. Parked in front of it on Friday, seemed like they were working but had quite a ways to go before the renovations were done, let alone the inspections.

its a new bakery coming to town where the old nail salon was that had the fire. Very early in the renovations so don't think they have an estimated opening date.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '16

I like the idea of a bakery. The Monchy place sounds very similar to C&L.

Hot under the collar
Dec '16

There is a BID board meeting tonight at 6pm in the municipal building, perhaps more details will come out during that meeting

Jim L Jim L
Dec '16

any updates on this?

htownmom htownmom
Dec '16

they are renovating the inside of the space. no time table for an opening was given.

Jim L Jim L
Dec '16

Any updates?

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Feb '17

I hope it's a "real" bakery like the one's down in Bergen and Essex Counties. When we lived down that way, we never went to anyone's house without a quick stop at the bakery to grab a loaf of fresh baked semolina bread and an awesome dessert - fresh-made strawberry shortcakes, real pies (not the kind with a pre-made crust and canned fruit, lol), and other delicious things. The kids always got a fancy-filled cupcake to eat in the car for the ride.

That's the one thing I really miss being up here, no real bakery like that. We always end up driving over an hour if we want real bakery items.

Heidi Heidi
Feb '17

Heidi, check out Sarivan bakery recently opened in Belvidere!

kepa
Feb '17

Oh wow, I will, thanks!

Heidi Heidi
Feb '17

Funny how we had a terrific bakery 30+ years ago....Hoffman's. Best sacher torte ever. It's where Fujiyama is now. It was eventually sold but continued on as a bakery for a few years; the new owners actually expanded it. Officially in Mansfield Twp.

There was also a very good bakery in Chester. I think that closed about 25 years ago.

Both were real bakeries.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Feb '17

You are right OnTheEdge. There was a great bakery in Chester I think in the mall in front of Larsens. If I remember correctly it was a French Bakery. I have lived in Hackettstown over 30 years and remember the old Hoffman's well. We bought our special cakes there and the pastries were awesome.

It is a shame we no longer have a LOCAL bakery of that quality. Not many people have the bakery skills, business acumen and are willing to put in the long hours combined with weekends.

They are looking to open by mid May

Jim L Jim L
Mar '17

Harpers bakery has best bread. Also makes awesome custom cakes. They make everything there. Right now have amazing Neopolotans. And also special cookies for Saint Patrick's and even have Hot Cross Buns. So they must be a real bakery.

Dog Cookie Lady
Mar '17

I've bought Birthday Cakes and other items at Harpers, and they have all been Very Good.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Mar '17

We need someone from a culinary school to open a French, Italian or German style bakery to augment Harpers. Special cakes, pastries and cookies. A place like Calendra's, Vilking or the shops in Bergen and Essex counties would work. Usually they are higher priced but excellent quality and flavor.

...or a place like this in Hopewell:

http://www.brickfarmmarket.com

Harper's is good for birthday cakes and anything pre-ordered, but so is Shoprite. A real bakery has cakes, pies, cookies, cupcakes, specialty items, breads, etc.

Not sure if it's just my timing, but I have tried MANY times to stop at Harper's on the way to a friends house to pick up bread and dessert and the place was empty. No fresh strawberry shortcake, or Italian cakes/pies, no pastries to purchase by the dozen, no meringues or fancy filled cupcakes - it was always a bust for me. A few times over the years, we tried to find a shoe-fly, pecan or pumpkin pie or something like that and they never had them. About 4 years ago I sent my husband to get a few loaves of Irish soda bread for St. Patrick's day and they were out.

My timing also seems to be off because when I WAS trying, often they were closed at times one would think a bakery would certainly be open.

Maybe it's just my bad luck.

Heidi Heidi
Mar '17

Looks like this place is open. I am looking forward to trying it. If anyone has any feedback, please share.

Htownmom Htownmom
Apr '17

Heidi - I bought great Italian pastries for Christmas from Harpers. I scheduled a pickup on Saturday morning, but they ran out early. They had me come back three hours later and gave me six fresh cannolies at no charge. I hope the new place provides such excellent customer service.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '17

We went this morning and we were disappointed. Not much of a selection and what was there was not good.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Apr '17

My Husband and I went Friday afternoon we each had a different pastry and found them to be very good we especially enjoyed the Colombian coffee. Good luck to them

Daizy Daizy
Apr '17

HeidI, I have had the same experience as you at Harpers. I love their cinnamon bread and have stopped in on numerous occasions to buy a loaf. They never have it and most of the time they have very little in the way of pastries, cookies, etc!

Mariann Mariann
Apr '17

I am going to give them a few tries. I am REALLY hoping this is the one!

Heidi Heidi
Apr '17

Stopped in yesterday. Interior is redone and nicely decorated. Girl at the counter was very nice and helpful and explained what was in several of the pastries. Ended up with a triangle one stuffed with Nutella. It was flaky and delicious. Hot coffee as well which was good. That being said- I was a little disappointed in the selection. It's basically a columbian bakery and the selection is similar to Rico Pan, except their hot food area is smaller. I have nothing against this and I will prob go back for an arepa today, but when I saw cafe, I was hoping for more of a smart world coffee type place, or a real euro style bakery with Italian cookies and big bread selection. I think Main Street needs something like that. I would LOVE to open a coffee shop in town, but alas..day job. Can't give that up just yet.

Cheeseandpancakes Cheeseandpancakes
Apr '17

Ugh, I went in today and agree, it felt like a Rico Pan ll. I love Rico Pan and occasionally get a major craving for their hot Colombian food and bought 4 or 5 of their cakes (beautiful cakes by the way!) and this is more of the same, darn!

Heidi Heidi
Apr '17

Our biggest issue was there was absolutely nothing making us thing this was anything that your regular cafe/bakery before you entered it. We had no idea this was going to be similar to Rico Pan.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Apr '17

I thought this was going to be an American cafe! I went in and had no idea what was what. Nothing was labeled and everyone was speaking a different language. I wish them much success but I will keep my business with Harpers.

FredFinger FredFinger
Apr '17

We went here this morning to grab a bite while running errands. I'm impressed!

The decor was really nice, everything very clean. We tried various pastries, empanadas and brought some stuff home to try. It was all excellent. The coffee was great too. Staff friendly and welcoming and they gave us a free snack too. We think they undercharged us too, but they confirmed it was right, so I say the prices were excellent. I am looking forward to seeing their full menu but did also see people in there eating lunch, like burgers and sandwiches etc.

Only concern is that they don't have enough tables because they were super busy. It was nice to see!!!!

Definitely worth a try!

Htownmom Htownmom
Apr '17

I was in the café today and the owner informed me that they will be offering entrée meals as well specifically grilled fish( tilapia and red snapper) as well as grilled shrimp, steak . There was a couple in the café eating the grilled garlic shrimp and it looked wonderful. They will have printed menus for take out tomorrow. I also brought home some bakery treats and they were delicious. Good Luck to this new business!

interested resident interested resident
May '17

Hubby and I went to the Main Street Cafe twice this week--once for Friday night dessert and once for Sunday morning pastries. They have delicious baked buns, pastries, and cookies for incredible prices. Got a whole baked bread the size of a bundt cake, filled with guava paste, for $3. The employees there were very friendly and welcoming. They came around the displays to answer all our questions about their pastries. I definitely will be going back for their baked goods and want to try their lunch/dinner offerings too.

honestys_easy honestys_easy
May '17

Re: New Cafe Opening in Hackettstown - Main Street Cafe

Left to right in the picture -

White corn cakes
Hawaiian bread - stuffed with pineapple, ham, and cheese, delicious heated
Guava pastry - like a thousand layers of flaky filo dough with guava jam at the bottom

All very tasty and only cost $5 for everything.

The guava pastry sounds great. Actually all of your haul looks like breakfast to me!!

Can someone add their menu?

I love stopping in there on the way to work. Open at 5am-10pm good coffee, friendly staff, shelves are fully loaded & hot food also. Prices are great! So far tried the apple turnover, ham & cheese croissant, shortbread cookies & beef empanadas. Me & a coworker stop in Friday morning: 2 small coffees 2 beef empanadas 1 apple turnover 1 ham & cheese croissant $ 10.88. ( if my memory serves me right)They were all good. I really enjoyed the green salsa with the empanadas it came with red & green salsa. They also have entrees fish, steak , pork chop & chicken. A friend of mine goes for dinner & said he enjoys it, also commented great prices & large portions.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Jul '17

Weedwacker, try the bunelos ( may be spelled wrong), looks like a round ball, 3/$2.00. I put them in the microwave for a few seconds, they're delicious. I agree on the ham and cheese croissant. Empenadas are also very good, but very different from fruitmex.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '17

Had the most delicious dinner tonight! Complimentary chips and salsa with homemade chips were delicious. I ordered the grilled chicken and shrimp with garlic sauce and it came with 2 sides ( I got a side salad and the Columbian beans). The menu also offers fresh fish and other grilled entrees My husband had a grilled chicken entrée with bean and plantains. We ended the meal with the port wine fig cake. Bill was $ 38 including tip. My new favorite for a casual dinner with great food right in town!

interested resident interested resident
Aug '17

My husband and I stop every Monday. Apple turnovers and great coffee. And try the flan. It's great.

Dog cookie lady Dog cookie lady
Aug '17

Picked up some items from the new bakery/cafe in the old nail salon.
Nice selection of things I never had before. Rolled the dice.
Brought them to a friend's home and man, watta hit!
Hosts LOVED them, really raved.
Great service and fairly priced!
A GREAT addition to Hackettstown.
I'm sold!!!

Stymie Stymie
Aug '17

We got some corn cakes and empanadas on Saturday. All were great and we will definitely be back!

Love this place! Their empanadas are the best around and a nice selection of pastry. They are always bringing out fresh items when I have been there. I have found Rico Pans baked goods are often less than fresh. Had a nice dinner there....great beans and rice. If you have not tried Colombian pastries, be sure to try this. Nice addition to main street and all the young ladies that work the front are super polite

LuLaLu LuLaLu
Aug '17

Menu can be found here:

http://mainstreetrestaurantnj.com/

Any recent reviews??

Continues to be very good. Very inexpensive pastries and baked goods. Very nice to sit down for a light morning meal.

Thanks GC...we are contemplating trying the dinner menu later this evening!

It should also be noted that I just called them at 908-850-7617 and they advised that all major credit cards are accepted with no minimum purchase required.

Previous to this, I tried calling them via the number on their website linked above (908-850-7678) but it just rang and rang.

Think they were doing themselves a disservice by not posting an online menu - wanted to order order this Fall but couldn't find a menu online. Was going to stop by and get a take out menu but never got around to it.

Good to see Vic posted one.

Re: New Cafe Opening in Hackettstown - Main Street Cafe

Here is the menu

Robin Robin
Jan '18

"Think they were doing themselves a disservice by not posting an online menu"

?? Vic posted their website that has the menu. isn't that posting their menu online?

Jim L. Jim L.
Jan '18

Jim L - the menu is on line NOW but perhaps it wasn't before which is what RU is stating.

countryside
Jan '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.