2016-17 Heating Oil Prices

Starting a new thread for this winter. Post all prices and deals here.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '16

There is a $5 coupon for Liberty Discount Fuel in this past Friday's Treasure Hunt.

Tidy
Nov '16

Today's On-line Price Hackettstown Oil is $1.85, If you just call and say fill, it's $1.95
If you get the Coupon from Valu pac, new Customers can save $20 first order. Existing Customers can save $10.

4paws 4paws
Nov '16

Does anybody use Region Oil. We just got an OIL Delivery and the price on the ticket data $3.54.9 / gallon. That seems really high!!! Any suggestions for other companies to use???

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Dec '16

Yikes that's high,I have oil coming today from AJ's fuel for $2.00/gallon....I would definitely shop around.....and a $15 coupon for paying cash for 150+ gallons!

Mansfield mamma, I used to use Budd/region oil. The reason the price per gallon is so high with them is because they are a "full service" provider. You can only get oil from them if you have a service plan with them, bronze, silver or gold, which you pay an upfront fee for btw. I found that what I got from the plan and the price per gallon of oil was not worth it. Disclaimer, this is my understanding of how they work. What I got was automatic delivery, emergency delivery ( free of charge except for the oil) if you ran out before they delivered, and a monthly budgeted payment plan so you don't have to put out hundreds of dollars all at once. At the end of June, I think it was, you would either get a refund or have to pay the difference between what your total monthly budgeted payments were as compared to the actual dollar value of oil that was delivered. What got me is when Hackettstown oil came on the scene and I saw how low the price was I called Region and asked what the price of oil was. They said " it depends", and I'm like on what? It depends on the type of plan you have with them. At that time they were a dollar more a gallon than HO and that was it for me. I have a newer furnace now so I don't care about emergency service, I charge the oil and create my own budgeted payments, I'm responsible to myself to not run out, and I get a way cheaper price. Your call though based on your own circumstances.

I used Hackettstown oil 10 days ago and it was 2.02 using the on-line ordering website. I am not on their "plan", I just go on line when I need to.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '16

Same here Spring Fever

Ollie Ollie
Dec '16

Yes, me too. The plan scenario is with Budd / Region oil.

I order from whoever is cheapest when I need oil. No contracts or auto delivery for me.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

I'm with Calico. Usually Hackettstown Oil is cheapest, for me, depending on how many gallons you are ordering.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Dec '16

We use Hackettstown Oil too..great service, price is good, and very reliable which is key for me. No contract or auto delivery for me either.

Bessie Bessie
Dec '16

Placed an order with Hackettstown Oil today for next week, price was 2.02 since we need over 200 gallons.

Years ago I had an auto-delivery account with Budd Oil, thinking we had small children in the house and we shouldn't run out. Then they let us run out during the Region Oil merge, clogged my boiler with the tank sediment, had to have service come out. We immediately changed to- checking the gauge, shopping around and ordering on our own like Calico. I was shocked how much money we saved doing this, we were over- paying with Budd Oil for years.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '16

Yes htownie, exactly! Hackettstown oil is the best. I still shop around but unless the price difference is significant I stick with them. Easy, prompt, and reliable.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Dec '16

Liberty Discount Fuel has always been a few cents cheaper. I use them. They accept PayPal, which is great!

putty777
Dec '16

Hackettstown Oil and Liberty Discount Fuel both have online price of 1.99 today.
The lowest it's been for a while.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '17

I have always used Liberty due to them having the lowest price. They have improved their website and the online ordering which was a needed update.

2 cents 2 cents
Jan '17

The biggest difference between using Liberty Oil and Hackettstown Oil is their minimum delivery requirements. Liberty is 150 gal. minimum and Hackettstown is 100 gal. minimum. For some this might be a factor.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '17

Hackettstown Oil will also match just about any local quoted priced. You need to call them for that tho.

bemused bemused
Jan '17

FYI - If you order from Hackettstown Oil, you can use these coupon codes which are good through 3/31/17.

New customers for first online orders - $20 off - use code NEW1

Existing customers for online orders - $10 off - use code MM16

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '17

Hackettstown oil is $1.95 a gal for 200+ gal

$1.97 a gal for 150-199

I just ordered

Liberty was $2.03 online

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

Ordered over the weekend from Hackettstown Oil. $1.97 gallon for 150 gallons. Delivery date was today. So I'm thinking well that won't happen so they will probably come on Wednesday.
They delivered yesterday! Now that's service! ! THANKS! They always deliver a smile. Great company!

Mar '17

hey Calico.... do you know a new coupon code for Hackettstown oil?? mm16 has expired
I also used mm17?? thanks time to fill up

scoop scoop
Sep '17

scoop - I've got nothing. Sorry.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

thanks for checking!!!

scoop scoop
Sep '17

FYI, Hackettstown Oil lists their online price this morning at $2.14/gallon.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Sep '17

Anybody have any cheaper oil price then $2.72 recently?
Hack oil is at $2.72 if you order online

hhstigers
Jan '18

I ordered from Liberty a week ago and it was 2.34. Just checked and they’re selling it for 2.52 now.

I got fuel oil on Dec 13th at $2.30 gal however today it is up to $2.53 from Liberty Discount Fuel

Lamppost Lamppost
Jan '18

Seems like the price of fuel oil is inversely proportional to the outside air temperature

Lamppost Lamppost
Jan '18

Supply and demand Lamppost.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Yes! Liberty Oil price was 2.34 on Dec 26, but it was after 5 when I checked it. When I ordered on Dec 27 it was up to 2.43 by then. This time last year we were around 1.99 I think?

Still, not complaining, nowhere near as bad as the $4/gal days a few years back.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '18

So I read that off-road diesel is actually better for your oil burner then home heating oil due to it's lower sulfur content burning cleaner and creating less creasote in the burner and chimney....any truth to this?

Reason I ask, is currently off road diesel is cheaper at the station then getting oil delivered and I have access to a 100 gallon transfer tank.

I only burn a tank a year to heat my domestic hot water, and I am trying to get my fill up point into the summer so I do not have to deal with the supply and demand prices of winter.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '18

Darrin, who sells ORD?

Thanks!

twentytwenty
Jan '18

Fairclough on 206 in Newton was 2.64 CC, 2.59 cash this weekend

Darrin Darrin
Jan '18

I got diesel at the gas station. Was 2.95 last week. Now 3.09. Never have a problem with my furnace when using diesel. Then I get oil delivered and furnace starts acting up. Every time. SMH!

Jan '18

Turn off the furnace for two hours after the delivery.

Same thing happened to us many times, finally they told us this.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jan '18

Diesel had mixed reviews in a furnace...it is even cleaner then off road diesel, but also more expensive....too bad off road diesel is so hard to find.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '18

I see 2.56 at Liberty Today. With 2 warm days coming up, will the price drop do you think? We have 1/4 tank so not urgent to order today, but will need fairly soon since the bottom part goes faster.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '18

Some companies will honor the 150 minimum if getting a fill and you do not quite take the 150. Hackettstown Oil does not. I was 10 gallons short of the 150 minimum and got charged the higher price. I am a long time customer and called them on it, but was told that was the rule and they couldn't do anything. I think I will be going elsewhere from now on.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Feb '18

It is what it is. You had plenty of oil left to wait a week or two. Company is just doing as promised to the customer.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Feb '18

2 day warm up generally will not move prices. Most of these companies prebuy their commodity months in advance at wholesale pricing. The price you are paying now was more probably determined weeks ago if not months ago.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '18

spot pricing is determined by day of pickup in perth amboy

twentytwenty
Feb '18

2.40 pre buy...sometimes it is good, there was one year I got burned , but overall it works out... no need to shop thru the season is worth something to me as well.

Steven Steven
Feb '18

Hackettstown Oil will no longer match with Liberty Oil. Has anyone who uses Liberty had any issue with them? I will get oil from there now and then if Hackettstown won't match the price.
Today LIberty 2.51, Hackettstown 2.66.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '18

New find, longvalleyoil.com 2.55 today.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '18

I can't wait to see the chatter when one of theses outfits closes up from lack of community support .

Talk about "shooting your self in the foot"

Is there no value to your time ?

How much do you save (adding up the pennies ) vs. all the time you spend on the phone, the forum and worrying if you will run out or that you ran so low, you will now suck up the crap in the tank , shutting down your heat source .

If you save .12 /gallon and you burn thru 1500 gallons for the winter ( which is quite a bit )....you will have saved $180.00...but at what cost ?
1 service call can cost that much to clear the burner nozzle, change filter and fire the unit up ( presuming there is no sludge sucked into the lines that also need to be cleaned.

Just an observation .

Steven Steven
Feb '18

hktownie i have used liberty out of netcong for years and never have i run into an issue with them. They have always been here when they planned and i have always found them to be very nice from the office ladies to the delivery men.

Diane Diane
Feb '18

Steven, somehow you seem to want to troll my posts. I'm sorry that this is the best use you can make of YOUR time.

I earn my money and I have the right to shop around for the best price. This thread is helpful in that regard so I check it when I need to and share information in turn. That's all I have to say, if you reply I won't feed you.

Thank you Diane for your reply.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '18

We are getting our oil delivered from Region Oil (Region Energy, Dover)...Our oil bills at the start of the winter were not too bad with monthly bills of $400 and $500 when they delivered (usually called when the tank was about 1/2 empty.. but think we are going to make some changes soon. Our last delivery was for 237.7 gallons and the bill was over $900. The charged rate for the oil was $3.85 a gallon. No Senior Discount like they used to give either... Ouch!!

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Yikes that is high,Liberty Oil has a senior discount and today’s price is $2.49 online.They even deliver on weekends during the winter...I would definitely shop around you got ripped off !

Thank you, Dam, I think we did too!!

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Joyful, why such a high rate? Do you have some kind of contract with them? We’ve only been using oil for almost 4 years so I’m not as knowledgeable as others here in that area. I have learned a lot about oil heat on HL and $3.85 a gallon sounds way out of line with other places.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '18

I don't know what happened all of a sudden Bessie. We used to just go downtown to Mayberry/Budd Oil office... (sold to Regional Oil) and order our oil there and never had a problem and they always told us when the rates were good, etc. This time had to call Region Oil directly and just assumed we were going to get the best rates or advice as we did prior but obviously did not. Our fault for not questioning but I am afraid they have lost a longtime customer with us now...

joyful joyful
Mar '18

Joyful, I would I would call them and ask they give you a discount and also you can do a lock in at the beginning of the season which this season my oil price will not go more than 291.00 a gallon. Region is more expensive than everybody else but they do allow you to pay over time every month and their furnace service is excellent

Hadenough Hadenough
Mar '18

Just FYI, Joyful - I called Region last week after being charged over $6/gal. for a propane delivery. Was promised a call back from a woman who said she thought it was high, too, and would look into it. No call back, unfortunately.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '18

Htownie,

I have zero interest in what you do and personally could care less, just trying to educate those that don't look at the "whole picture" when trying to obtain a bargain....If doing so at the cost of running up your maintenance expense, that is just poor judgement and bad business for anyone's household long term.

none of this is directed at you personally, ( please don't flatter yourself ).

Again, just trying to spread some common sense .

I locked in with a "pre buy" back in the summer ( when rates are typically significantly lower ) . @ $2.40 / gallon ....and yes, even then, it is based on your consumption history , so if you continue to "bounce around for price saving of .08 to .12 / gallon all season with different sources, what have you actually saved ?

Steven Steven
Mar '18

Hackettstown oil discount code. Fall17
(Online order)

Mar '18

I thought I would be able to make it through the winter and fill up over the summer, but this winter just keeps on giving. I just placed an order with Greenworks for $2.499/gallon.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.