What are your favorite horror movies?

I've always loved horror movies especially the classics from the late 70's-80's.

I just got my movies from Amazon today. All originals; Halloween, The Shining, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and Amityville Horror.

I love The Purge, but I lent it out and never got it back. :(

What are your favorites?

positive positive
Oct '16

Toxic Avenger

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '16

I don't like horror movies but do plan to watch tonight's redo of the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Fox. Hope it's good!

I'm not a big fan of the scary movies that are gross or have a lot of violence in them. So, the two best movies I saw that only had real suspense without the gore are, When Michael Calls about a guy who keeps calling a babysitter and says " have you checked the children". He ends up killing the kids and gets away. Twenty years later the babysitter is married and has children. She's at a restaurant when she gets a call....

Next one is a television movie called Skeleton Key. Omg, scared the crap out of me. Oh, I just remembered The Ring, I was shaken for days and refuse to watch Ring II.

Exorcist, Poltergeist, Evil Dead, Halloween, House of 1000 Corpses, Nightmare on Elm Street, Carrie, The Omen, Silence of the Lambs, Hellraiser, Seven

I tried to get it down to 10, but I can't bring myself to delete any of these, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Rosemary's Baby

Yes, When a Stranger Calls and The Ring..two good ones.

I agree, it's about the suspense that makes it scary, not the blood and gore.

I've come across mixed opinions on The Blair Witch Project. Some people loved it and others hated it. I happened to really enjoy it..true suspense without the blood and gore.

positive positive
Oct '16

Thanks positive. The movie when a stranger calls was based off the book I read which was when Michael calls.

I thought it was WHEN A STRANGER CALLS.........it was one heck of a scary movie. Another one that always freaks me out was BURNT OFFERINGS.

I was in 8th grade and saw it at the Denville movie theater and had to walk home, alone, in the dark..........OMG it was a horrible walk......

littlelu littlelu
Oct '16

Halloween, Friday the 13th, Scream

The Strangers was one of the creepiest movies I have ever seen. I can't even watch it again lol

weebiekins weebiekins
Oct '16

I love Burnt Offerings, The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, Halloween, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, and anything by Rob Zombie, but my favorite is The Wicker Man--the original, not the Nic Cage remake.

Courtney
Oct '16

RAS, don't worry about The Ring II, I have it and it's not as nearly as scary as the first one.

A real oldie but goodie 1956 film, The Bad Seed. I almost forgot about Burnt Offerings, 1976 starring Karen Black. Yet another, 1980 The Changeling.

Yep, I've been into scary movies since I was little..maybe I'm a little morbid. Lol

positive positive
Oct '16

Nightmare on Elm Street (Original, Dream Warriors, The Dream Master)
Friday the 13th (Original, III, The Final CHapter, Jason Lives, Jason Takes Manhattan)
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Halloween (1978)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1975)
Psycho (Hitchcock)
The Birds

TV Series
Twilight Zone (original)
Tales from the Crypt

Patrick O.
Oct '16

The original Halloween ( Rob Zombie should never be allowed to make another film after his terrible "re-imagining")

The Exorcist and the Exorcist lll with George C. Scott ( a criminally underrated horror movie)

Friday the 13th parts 1-4, 6-7

The Road (not technically a horror film but it makes me feel the same)

Eperot Eperot
Oct '16

I remember watching Night of the Living Dead having no idea what is was about, possibly while under the influence of some maui wowie. George Romero took years off my life.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

The Hills Have Eyes / Texas Chainsaw Massacre / Saw I & II / Wax Museum /

American Gothic / The Shining / PSYCHO / Helter Skelter / Friday the 13th /

My Wedding Video with my three X Wives LOL

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Oct '16

Lots and lots and lots - that's pretty much all I can say, since I love horror and suspense movies. Ian and positive have some of my basics, but I LOVE the "B-movie" horror flicks of the 60's too, like the two Dr. Phibes movies. That's where my gravatar cae from by the way;-) I was watching a couple of Korean horror flicks last night "Thirst" and "Three Extremes". I absolutely LOVE the movie "Teeth", but most guys have an issue with watching movies where their nether part gets cut off:-D The expressions on Jess Weixler and the Gynecologist's faces are killer during that scene.

The Thai movie "Victim" (2006) is a mind-bender and the Korean movie "The Chaser" is just nuts as well. I saw the last "Paranormal Activity" when it came out and was pretty much bored out of my skull, though I admit the last "Final Destination" movie was a laugh riot for me, though I'm not sure if they really meant it as a comedy, lol! The movie "Blood Beach" that was just on one of the movie channels was interesting to me as well.

David Cronenberg's "Videodrome" was not just a pioneering effort, but was also prescient in so many ways, plus having effects based on H.R.Giger who was responsible for the Alien type graphics, among others, made it cool in that respect. Having Debbie Harry of "Blondie" in it didn't hurt at all either!

Here are some others: "Dream Home", "Let The Right One In" (the original Swedish one, though the remake isn't bad either), "Anarchy Parlor" - you'll never go to a tattoo parlor in Lithuania, "Eden Lake", Wolf Creek", "As Above, So Below", "Catacombs" - this movie is freaky, "The Collector", "High Tension" - a French suspense/horror movie that keeps you wondering 'til the end, "I Spit on Your Grave" - (I like both the original and the newer remake series, though they may be hard for guys to take, just like "Teeth" - woman's revenge stuff you know). There are so many more I just can't list them all, but I have plenty in my collection at home:-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

The Blair Witch. I loved that movie!

Happycamper Happycamper
Oct '16

Eperot you're right, Rob Zombie ruined a classic.

Phil, you'd might appreciate the 2005 British film "The Descent" if you haven't seen it already. It was well done in my opinion.

About time someone mentioned The Blair Witch Project..one of my favorites.

positive positive
Oct '16

Omg I haven't seen Haute Tension in years, Phil D. I may even own it...I'm going to go look...great movie!

weebiekins weebiekins
Oct '16

Yeah, the Blair Witch Project is a great film. Truly creative film making on a shoestring budget that has more impact than many films with huge budgets...because they realized what you don't see is always scarier than what you do.

Eperot Eperot
Oct '16

Exactly and so well said Eperot. Simple creativity....

positive positive
Oct '16

Hitchcock!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Love Al! Lol

I believe the original filming of Friday the 13th took place at Silver Lake in Hope/Blairstown. Went there years ago with a friend and the original cabins were still there.

Needless to say we had quite a scary experience during and after our investigation.

Botheredbyu, do you remember that fun day? Lol

positive positive
Oct '16

Wrong turn....great
Keepers Creepers... Great

I am going to go back to yesteryear when I saw a movie called "The Tingler" with Vincent Price somewhere in the late 50's. The monster would insert itself along your spine and the tingling was it's calling card. The seats in the movie were rigged to tingle when the monster was onscreen. The movie "The Mysterians" about an invasion from Mars scared my 5 year old brother out of his seat and into the lobby. Another was "The Fly" (the original) where my mother wondered why my brother's back had black JuJuBes stuck to it. It was because every time the Fly came onscreen my brother ducked down and I hated black JuJuBes so I threw them on the floor. I rated scary movies on my younger brother's reaction to them LOL. Can you tell I am ancient? LOL

I grew up on horror movies, yet the only one that ever gave me actual nightmares, as a kid, was "Salem's Lot"--specifically, the creepy scene where the Glick boy is tapping on the window asking to be let in. But overall, while a good story, it is a rather mediocre film.

I still think the original "Exorcist" was the greatest horror movie ever made.

A second favorite of mine is more obscure--a French film called "Martyrs." Low budget. Minimal scenery. Minimal dialog. Minimal special effects. Just a brilliant, creepy, original story. It's one of those films where it's best not to read reviews, first, because the story is so original that you really won't be able to guess what's really going on, and the film keeps surprising and shocking you, right up to the very end. If you're into horror and looking for something new, AND if you can handle watching a film in French with subtitles, I highly recommend it. There WAS an American re-make, released this year--don't bother with that one.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '16

Nightmare on Elm Street (original), Friday the 13th (original), Carrie, Pet Cemetery

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '16

The Ring

Larry M Darst Larry M Darst
Oct '16

Jersey Wolf, spot on analysis of Salem's Lot, lol. That was one I deleted from my list because, while it scared the hell out of me as an 8-year old, it didn't really hold up when I watched it again as an adult.

I'd also like to throw the original Phantasm out there as an all-time classic. Angus Scrimm as "The Tall Man" haunted my boyhood dreams quite a bit, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Scream is my favorite, but not really that scary.

House on Haunted Hill was another one I liked.

I'm not crazy about horror movies anymore, but I watch The Walking Dead and American Horror Story. I also enjoyed Stranger Things.

I saw The Ring in college and I was traumatized for a month. When I was a little kid my uncle let us watch some unreleased Nightmare on Elm Street movie and I still can't look at a picture of Freddy Kruger.

Tracy Tracy
Oct '16

What a great idea for a thread!

Not a movie but: the (original) Twilight Zone where the guy on a plane sees something scary happening out on the wing... always gave me the shivers, that episode.

I haven't seen most of the movies mentioned here. Time for a home horror movie festival!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

The Blair Witch

2 cents 2 cents
Oct '16

Audrey Rose- creeps me out every time.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '16

Horror Hotel! 1961 black and white movie with Christopher Lee. I'm a big time horror move fan from way back - this is the only one that actually scared me - still does to this day!!!!!!

baseballfan baseballfan
Oct '16

Friday the 13th, first one. Saw at the Strand Theater on Friday June 13th. Walked home afterward in the dark. Some guys jumped out from behind a tree a block away. Scared me and my friend out of our skin. Ch ch ch ha ha ha.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

You have all mentioned many of my favorites. But here's a few more:
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
Carnival of Souls
Motel Hell
28 Days of Night

Wendy Wendy
Oct '16

Oh my goodness! I've never heard anyone except for me and my friend Steve ever mention Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things! So awesome!

weebiekins weebiekins
Oct '16

The original Invaders From Mars (1953). I must have been 11 or 12 when i saw it and i had nightmares for weeks. The sandpit in the movie was very similar to an area near our house. Also, the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers. McCarthy era horror at it's finest.
Really interesting how popular and long- term meaningful these films are to so many. They definitely strike deep chords.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (original) was good since its based on a true killing spree in Texarkana in 1946. Keeps you on the edge of your chair.

John C John C
Oct '16

My favorites are Orphan, The Mist, Hostel and Burnt Offerings

Big trucker & People under the stairs.

Justme Justme
Oct '16

Does anyone remember the 1970's show "Chiller Theatre" that came on every Saturday night? I always looked forward to it as a kid, but looking back I realize now how cheesy it was, but still appreciate the creepy hand.

Funny how different we viewed/perceived things when we were kids.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlwwad_chiller-intro-wpix-1970-s_shortfilms

The 1982 movie "The Entity" starring Barbara Hershey was intense and well written. I couldn't help to feel empathy for the main character.

positive positive
Oct '16

The Thing (1982). Probably the best Science Fiction Horror movie of all time...

Stephen King..." The Stand" and "Dream Catcher". The original "Exorcist". The "American Horror Story" series.
Cool thread!

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Oct '16

The original "Thing" with James Arness as the giant carrot being electrified at the end was better than the remake. Also loved "Day of the Triffids" with the hopelessness of mankind being relieved by a simple act of nature. I think I loved every Bela Lugosi movie, Vincent Price movie, and even the Christopher Lee movies of the 60's better than the gory films of today. I really thought that the horror industry took a step down using bloody scenes and outright gore as the main focus.

Insidious. Now that was one freaky movie.

weebiekins weebiekins
Oct '16

Will be watching The Blob on vhs with Steve Mcqueen tonight , if that doesn't scare me I can read HLife later on.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Oct '16

When I was a child I remember watching the 1953 "Invaders from Mars". It was quite scary to me, especially the scenes where the people got sucked into the ground.

happiest girl
Oct '16

The original Night of the Living Dead It ran as the second movie after Willard in the drive inns.

The Man The Man
Oct '16

Salem's Lot
The Conjuring

Any of the sonofa (bxxch) ofa Chucky Movies.

I dream of that snot nosed puke of a doll under my bed or in dark closets of the house waiting to stab or bite me.

That to me is scary.

Embryodad Embryodad
Oct '16

Rodan, Godzilla, and The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (the inspiration for Godzilla)

r billy r billy
Oct '16

Lets Scare Jessica to Death is on.
Claaaasic

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '16

Young Frankenstein

http://nypost.com/2016/10/30/mel-brooks-hilarious-secrets-behind-the-making-of-young-frankenstein/

DannyC DannyC
Oct '16

Watched "It's Alive" last night...wasn't too cheesy.

positive positive
Oct '16

Right now I'm watching "The Strangers". Never heard of or saw this movie before, I must say it's pretty good so far.

I'm having a fright fest weekend for sure. Lol

positive positive
Oct '16

I watched 'The Strangers' too. I thought it was pretty good as well.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.