Crossroads Diner

The Crossroads Diner in Belvidere was sold and the new owner will be taking over next week . Many changes over a period of time will be taking place. Nice to have a fifties diner nearby.

The Man The Man
Sep '16

I hope they don't change too much. I always loved the retro look and feel of the place. I have many good memories.. went there pretty often with my daughter. A very affordable place to go to.

positive positive
Sep '16

Turning into an Indian restaurant LOL...

Very funny iJay. Lol

positive positive
Sep '16

I live not too far from there and have never been there. Just for the record, the diner is in White Twp. not Belvidere. Sorry, I'm a stickler for borders. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Went there once for a breakfast. Wasn't impressed. Nothing made me say "Wow, I need to go back!"

btownguy btownguy
Sep '16

My husband and I are regulars there and we hope they do still keep the 50's feel. It will be interesting to see some of the menu changed up a bit. Will miss the former owners. They are great people.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Sep '16

Somebody tell the new owners to have a 'bike night' each week.

I've been looking for somewhere to go meet up on the bike and BS. This place looks ideal- not a bad ride out there and back, have a burger.

:)

Hope the continue to serve scrapple.

Agust Agust
Sep '16

Good idea Josh, they'd probably benefit from having car shows too.

positive positive
Sep '16

I've lived a mile away for the last 30 years and only went twice. Nuff said.
This may be a reason to try again.
And Calico is correct it's not in Belvidere.

MikeL MikeL
Sep '16

It is a favorite stop after taking crap to the dump. Fresh eggs, crisp bacon, and excellent coffee to boot. Hope that doesn't change.

Their coffee and breakfast have always been great .

Steven Steven
Sep '16

Crossroads Diner
436 Us Hwy 46
Belvidere, NJ 07823

The Man The Man
Sep '16

LOL.
The mailing address isn't the location.
My property is in White Township but the mail address is Oxford.

I lived on Lake Hopatcong for years and our address was an Andover Rd # which made the post office 15 miles away.

MikeL MikeL
Sep '16

Good point MikeL.

Sep '16

My mailing address is Belvidere and I definitely don't live in Belvidere.

Lots of people here say I am from Mars....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '16

strangerdanger,

You may be a little further out than that.

The Man The Man
Sep '16

Re: Crossroads Diner

An old postcard of the Crossroads Diner.Back of the card has the address as Rt 46 Bridgeville NJ.

Yes, Bridgeville is a section of White Twp. as is Buttzville.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Hopefully the waitresses don't lose their jobs. They are very friendly, hardworking, and greet you with a warm smile.

mike l mike l
Sep '16

All I did was post that the diner was going to have new owners. I am fully aware of where the diner is located but if you want to send him a happy, happy card or put it in your GPS it would be helpful to send it to the Belvidere mailing address.
What makes people so obsessed with borders and mailing addresses? Is it a city thing? People from around here know where places are.
There are those who love to correct others all the time, I think maybe it is a insecurity thing.

The waitresses are staying.

The Man The Man
Sep '16

The Man - I meant no harm at all. Like I said in my post, I'm a stickler for borders. Probably because I'm an accountant with a Type A personality! All ducks must be in a row for me. Carry on. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Calico696

The reason I go there on occasion is that I'm a Cartophile as well as a history nut I own a copy of "The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries, 1606-1968" as well as a crapload of maps.

For those who don't know from "cartophile":

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cartophile

Though it's also used for people who collect trading cards, that's usually considered sloppy usage, lol. Cartography is the art and science of creating maps of all kinds and a cartophile enjoys studying them, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '16

How many people are mailing a card to the diner? LOL

Maybe I should have just said mail that way everyone would have understood.

The Man The Man
Sep '16

The Diner has not been sold! It is still the same owners since '78...

Amber
Jan '18

Hey ....how bout if everyone picks a Saturday nite and go to the diner and show there support for the business ( in their town ...or outside their borders ? )

Maybe they would be around a bit longer if they get community support vs debates over where they are located......just saying .

Josh, the place is a regular breakfast stop for me in the summer ( Saturday a.m.'s ) , head out over Belvidere bridge take back roads into pa and come back at the end of day .

Steven Steven
Jan '18

One way or the other, the posts are two years old. What's the issue now?

Stopped there today and the sign in the front door says that they are closing Sunday July 1st. I asked the waitress and she told me the property was sold to Dunkin Donuts. Really hoping that they don't bulldozer that classic old American diner. Sad!

Raisin Raisin
Jun '18

I work there the property was sold..The new owners are tearing it down
They are leasing it to Dunkin...

Roxy
Jun '18

Am i back?

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '18

Sad, just sad...

Oh, not about you SD, lol! Glad the riddler is back, it's been too quite without you.

positive positive
Jun '18

I will miss the Crossroads Diner and all the great people who work there and eat there. It was a big part of my life when we lived up in Warren County.

Jun '18

You’re back

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '18

Stopped by tonight to snap a picture.
Going for breakfast tomorrow morning.
So sad we’re losing this beautiful piece of history. Progress stinks.

Really??? Really???
Jun '18

Last day is tomorrow. Everyone, come out and say good bye to a piece of history!!

Really??? Really???
Jun '18

I will surely miss that place! Best blueberry pancakes around! I feel bad for all the waitresses!

big sports fan big sports fan
Jun '18

Another piece of history replaced by pos.

Jun '18

I'm sad to admit it but I have spent 38 of my 40 years living in the area and never went to Cross Roads Diner. This morning, I finally did. Such a period piece.It was very original, clean, good food and the service was great. Makes me very sad to think of another unique piece of local American history being destroyed for something as ubiquitous and banal as a Dunkin' Donuts.

eperot eperot
Jun '18

Emperot, I am glad you finally got to try their great food. I have been going there for the past 15 years and it is my favorite place in Warren County. I will miss all the great people at the Crossroads!!!!!!

Jun '18

I've been there many times when I lived out that way. Good food and very reasonable prices.

I will certainly miss it. I'm hoping the Belvidere Diner won't go anywhere..

positive positive
Jun '18

Dunkin donuts also got all zoning and building permits waived. Probably no property taxes for awhile too.

Once they went to freezing their donuts my stomach couldn't take it. Its rare to find one that still makes them fresh.

One-eyed Poacher One-eyed Poacher
Jun '18

Metal clads are a dying breed.

I was pretty close on the no-bake on premise but think I have done my last Dunc. Unless, unless, they keep the building! Like in Hope.

Anyone know who these owners are? Any other wallet votes here?

Jun '18

Poacher, please cite your source for that.

Music gal Music gal
Jun '18

I'm bummed. We (family) have been going there on the first day of Trout season to have breakfast for 30 yrs. I don't think HDJ serves breakfast. Stinks!!

auntiel auntiel
Jun '18

Auntiel, there's always the Belvidere Diner. Pretty good breakfast.

positive positive
Jun '18

I hear that the portland diner is goingto become a dunkin dougtnuts all so

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '18

I see you guys care more than the owners thAt is leasing or selling out .lol

Unfriendly
Jun '18

Diners are a big part of my customer base and I hear every day from them how they are struggling. They tell me that younger people and families don't really go to Diner's they prefer the "two for one" or "half price appetizer" chain restaurants where they feel they are getting a deal. Unfortunately more and more are closing. In the last several years, Tiffany, Brooklawn, Eggplatter, Peterplank, Franklin, Sophie's all closed. So while it is sad another classic diner is closing, I say Congratulations and Best Wishes to the property owner on securing his families future with the sale/rent of their property.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '18

DD coffee not as flavorful as it use to be. I will go to Quick check or Bagelsmith.

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Jul '18

I used to be a big fan of Dunkin Donuts. Now, they are horrible, lousy coffee and donuts, slipped big time the last 10 years.

I would rather give my money to Quick Chek then Dunkin any day.

I drove by today, it appears to still be open, maybe today 7/1 is the last day? Customers were inside and the OPEN sign was lit.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jul '18

TRA - Yes, today is the final day.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Too bad it wasnt a krispy kream

Unfriendly
Jul '18

I was visiting family in upstate NY. Majority of all the diners have been sold and converted to DD. I guess that DD is buying up diners with desirable locations.

I had my last breakfast today at crossroads diner, patrons were waiting to be seated others waiting just to say good bye. I wish the owners good luck, they are good genuine people who took pride in their family owned business.

Htownnewbie Htownnewbie
Jul '18

More corporate homogenization. Towns everywhere bend over for corporate developers and zoning laws mean nothing. Pretty soon the whole state, and country will all look the same with the same crappy fast food/chain restaurants and chain pharmacies .

Denis Denis
Jul '18

Most old diners are on state highways as that was the main roads to travel on before the highways so it makes sense for a business like DD to be interested in their sites.

actually Denis this is one case where the locals wanted DD to come to town. Just at a different location. I guess DD did their homework and found a better location for them on a busier street. But the locals pushed for them to come.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/White-township-dunkin-donuts

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2015/07/dunkin_donuts_desired_in_white.html

Good for the owner of the business to be able to fund his retirement with this sale/lease. Don't see why anyone would have an issue with them for doing that, it's not like restaurant owners have a big cushy 401k or pensions, the land is their main source of retirement. I hope he got as much as he could out of the sale.

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

I understand the need to retire or move on, I just find it sad that a new diner owner couldn't be found to keep this living piece of history alive. Seemed like they had a reasonable clientele that a little sprucing up might improve.

Meanwhile....good luck to this DD. Somehow, this site does not scream, location, location, location to me......let's see.

Nice DD far side of Hope --- so this one's market will fall a far ways South of Hope.
DD's in H-town means somewhere West of GM, it's better to go east to dunk.
DD in Washington so probably drops off South of Oxford.

Seems to me this location gets Oxford, Belvidere and Route 46W. Good luck with that. I know I always would make the effort to swing by if in the vicinity. Don't think DD will get that customer appreciation from this wallet. I like the Hope one though. And it's hopping.

Jul '18

Jim L. - This 3 year old article you found was pushing for the DD to be in the new plaza that went up near the County Jail on 519 a couple years ago, replacing the old plaza next door. I believe this would still be in White Township on 519 where that is located.

I do not think that at the time of this in 2015, 3 years ago, the people signing that petition would have been all for it if you told them the site of DD would be to replace the Crossroads Diner. Your mixing apples and pears here implying that the people signing the petition 3 years ago were responsible for the Crossroads being sold.

In the new plaza on 519, a DD would have made perfect sense at the time in 2015,and I am sure that is what people then were reacting to. Did DD corporate use this info from 2015 and actively engage in looking in this area? We cannot answer that question.

Now, as far as the actual physical structure, are they totally demolishing the building or just using the existing structure to make a DD?

I think people could stomach this better if they kept the character of the old diner, but just put DD inside. The usual DD building is pretty lousy looking, hope they don't tear down what is unique and functional, the building that is the current Crossroads Diner.

Jul '18

"Your mixing apples and pears here implying that the people signing the petition 3 years ago were responsible for the Crossroads being sold."

I never said they were responsible for crossroads being sold I was just pointing out The people in town wanted a DD and now they're getting one. They petitioned DD and found a franchisee that was interested. However DD did their research and found a busier lot to build on. Yea I'm sure the residents there that signed the petition didn't want it to go where crossroads is but as a good business owner they picked the better spot for their business.

""While we do not have plans to develop a Dunkin' Donuts restaurant at that particular site in Belvidere at this time, we do hope to open a store in the town in the future," the company said."

and the article being 3 years old means nothing, these deals take years to complete. Also DD's want a space that allows for a drive thru which feel free to correct me, but that spot that was petitioned I don't believe would have been able to have one. it is just a strip mall.

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

I will correct you on that, the strip mall specifically has a drive through window, which is used by the Chinese rest that is there, just for their drive through customers. Would have been ideal for DD and the Chinese place moved after the strip mall was completed, I do not believe they put that drive through window in specifically for a Chinese rest. The rumor at the time was that DD was going to move there and that is why the drive through window was put in.

Jul '18

thanks for the correction. I know DDs have passed on other strip malls because they don't have drive thrus and instead have opted for stand alone buildings.

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

So in summary when the locals asked for DD to come to town, I'm sure they did not envision Crossroads Diner being knocked down to make it happen. My point stands, more corporate homogenization with the same crappy corporate fast food chains, and big corporate pharmacies, and all the towns rewriting zoning laws to accommodate them. Sad in my mind, but to some it's progress.

Denis Denis
Jul '18

I think if the locals wanted to keep crossroads diner they would have eaten there..the parking lot is usually empty

Bug3
Jul '18

Not when I was there bug. Always busy.

John C John C
Jul '18

Yes, especially during the flea market days..

positive positive
Jul '18

Sadly I passed by it on the way from Belvidere to Hackettstown, then to home. It would have been a great place to stop in to eat, though I have to admit when I got to H'town the Davila's Cheesesteak really hit the spot when I got home. Not greasy at all either.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '18

I would think the owner was ready to sell and sold to the highest bidder. Hopefully the structure is not recycled but resurrected at some other location.

Been going there since 1978. Loved this place. Felt like home. Many of the waitresses knew my order. Lots of old timers went there. Life will never be the same. Thanks for all the great meals.

Last seat on right Last seat on right
Nov '18

No sign of any construction at the site..The Dunkin donuts thing must have been a rumour

Bug3
Nov '18

I could only hope it was a rumor, that intersection is a complete disaster after QC showed up I can only imagine what traffic will be like if DD is build.

2cents
Nov '18

Holy crap! The diner is for sale on eBay. LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1957-Diner-stainless-50-x-16-seats-50-excellent-condition-movable/333127623670?hash=item4d8ff423f6:g:2L4AAOSwqCJclR~1

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Wow, that is a great find! What ever gave you the idea to look for it on Ebay? I see no bids yet, 2 days left, $33,000 actually sounds like a pretty good deal for it?

The hard part, but maybe not so hard if one is versed in moving buildings, is getting it off the property- that alone would probably cost quite a bit. I hope someone somewhat local buys it, the pictures show how good of condition it is in.

I guess this is the first step to getting that property vacant for whatever comes next. Seems like a structure like that in NJ should not be that hard to sell to the right person.

Mar '19

TRA - I can't take the credit. A friend posted the link on Facebook. Not sure how she came across it.

It does sound like a good deal for someone with an interest in those types of things.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Wow! Can't believe it's for sale on ebay! How in the world do you move it without damaging it??!

Those old diners had wheels...like a mobile home

Bug3
Mar '19

There's now a bid for $25,000. This may get exciting! :-)

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Mar '19

At least they post the menu price for breakast; $25k right now. Bet its all you can eat ;-)

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

So glad to see this. It would be a terrible shame to tear that down. Now hopefully someone will be able to reuse it....l just wonder if it will stay in NJ?

Eperot Eperot
Mar '19

There's a second bid in at $25,100!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Free Local Pickup! Wonder if I should rent a flatbed and pay a few people with pizza to help me bring it home.

Mar '19

More fast TRA, it's up to $25,300 with a third bid now!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Better than ending up like that railroad car restaurant... I saw pictures of the inside still with the place settings... creepy..

a bit late to the game

djdowd djdowd
Mar '19

When we ate there on the last day that they were open, we inquired and were able to purchase a jukebox from one of the booths.

It’s now mounted on our kitchen wall with Bluetooth :)

Really??? Really???
Mar '19

Man, and I just couldn’t go over $25.1k. So close....

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Mar '19

With 5 bids and just under 9 hours to go it sits at $26,076.

Awesome idea with the jukebox!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

3 hours left, 7 bids. The process of it moving will be interesting to see and how soon "ASAP" actually is once the auction is over.

I would think it would take a solid couple of days to get that thing read to move.

Here is another article about it:

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/entertainment/2019/03/if-an-antique-diner-just-outside-the-lehigh-valley-is-on-your-shopping-list-youre-in-luck.html

Mar '19

Bid is $30,100. now

Wowza! 23 bids with and hour and a half to go!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

Up over $35k...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

He had a Buy It Now originally of $33,000, If the first person that wanted it would have purchased it right away at $33,000, they would have owned it. The buyers misread the market.

Mar '19

That was crazy.... it went from $37 to $41k in the last minute or so and jumped all the way to $70,400 right at the end. Hope it wasn't a hoax bid.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '19

WOW! Good for them. I hope the deal works out.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

so what happens to the empty land?

bug3
Mar '19

Dunkin' Donuts.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '19

why did the bid jump from 43k to 70k? wouldn't the next bid be @ 44K?

Just how are they going to move it?

Hope a photographer stops by to record it.

Mom with kids Mom with kids
Mar '19

It's possible somebody had a proxy bid set over the final sale price. When someone else bid next highest bid... that original proxy just keeps bumping up the bid until the next bidder outbids what they set as high bid. I just lost a deal on a camera lens. Was at $49.00 and I bid $75.00 and the price jumped to $76 immediately. Same situation no doubt.

Grascal
Mar '19

I wonder when the diner will be moved? Does anyone know?

Jun '19

Passed by Crossroads Diner today. Still no sign of work to relocate it.

Wonderful One Wonderful One
Sep '19

Yup, still there. Just said yesterday, when I passed by, I thought there was a time limit to move it....

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

Here is a pic if what looks like where they tried to separate the diner from the rest of the building- this is right side of the building. You can literally see through this into what used to be the kitchen in back.

I think the cost to remove this is going to prevent it from moving anytime soon. Maybe it can reopen - as a diner!

Sep '19

They loaded it up and it's off to it's new home!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

Great pic, thank you Calico.

I noticed last weekend the holes on the side where they were disconnecting it were getting bigger and knew it was a matter of time.

At least now I won't have visual shock tomorrow when I am over at the Quick Chek and look over and see it gone!

Oct '19

thanks Calico, and a tear or two.

I would ask a favor though, anyone know where the new home is? Would love to visit.

Oct '19

I heard Ohio. Let me did around and see if I can find out where in Ohio.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

Saw that picture of the move to Ohio of the Crossroads Diner this morning also on Facebook. We had many a great breakfast there over the years and then after going across the road to walk around at the flea market. Sorry to see it go....

joyful joyful
Oct '19

The picture on the truck looks cool though.

Should make that permanent instead of a trailer, build out the inside, and have the ultimate retro RV.

I read a bunch of comments on FB. Some were saying Ohio and some were saying New York. After more reading, it was stated that the new owner lives in Hudson, NY and doesn't have a location yet.

That said, who the heck knows! LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

I saw this on Facebook this morning and am feeling nostalgic remembering breakfasts there with my husband. It's the end of an era in Belvidere for sure.

Chickadee Chickadee
Oct '19

When we lived in Hackettstown we had to occasionally use the dump in Oxford. We always looked forward to "dump day" as if felt like a cleansing of the soul LOL. Our routine always included a stop at the Crossroads but we always referred to as the "dump diner" since we only went when we had to use the Oxford dump. I loved the coffee there and the breakfasts were fresh eggs and great bacon, home fries, and grits. I don't know if I miss the dump trips at all but i do miss our favorite dump diner.

It is funny that there is another diner just past the light...…..crickets....

Went once ---- it was OK, but not the same ambiance of Crossroads. Figure if I want the "big diner" feel, I choose Washington.

Oct '19

Agree, Belvidere Diner is not that good. The main thing it has going for it is that it has a liquor license. We don't go to diners much, but Washington Diner is our choice when we do.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '19

What is the Royal Diner- on Rt 31 North in Washington, like? I drive by it every day- it reminds me of the Crossroads Diner a bit- but I have never been there.

Oct '19

Royal Diner on 31N is great too.

Small-town feel, like Crossroads.

Good food.

We alternate between there and the Washington Diner.

Really??? Really???
Oct '19

The diner is now still sitting there, but off to the upper corner of the lot near Rt.46.

This is what is left after they disconnected the front. Never knew it had a basement.

Oct '19

Goodbye Crossroads!

Royal diner is great, IMO. Cute old-skool and good food.

Eperot Eperot
Oct '19

Another oldie is Tom's Diner on the old Ledgewood Circle. Closed for a number of years ago but still there.

All wrapped up in plastic and ready to go. Any news on where it’s going?

There seems to be two competing destinations among the heresay. Someplace in Ohio, or Hudson, NY. I am hoping it's Hudson because that's my girlfriend's home town and we'd love to eat in the Diner on a trip there one day.

Eperot Eperot
Oct '19

It's gone.

younggen younggen
Oct '19

??? I think Hudson has a few diners in close proximity. Try google! Avoid the touristo clones.

Think Trader Joes will replace Crossroads?

Oct '19

Tom's Diner in Ledgewood was used by Cyndi Lauper in her video Time after time.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Oct '19

Oh boy. There was a whole discussion here on HL several years back about that dodgebaal. A person, John C I believe who worked on the production absolutely refutes that claim and states it was done at the now gone Kenvil diner on RT. 46. Who knows! LOL

It was definitely Tom's diner. Watch the video and look up interior shots of Tom's when it was open.

Eperot Eperot
Oct '19

Trader Joe's on the old Crossroads diner property is not happening.The new owner plans to put a Dunkin Donuts there.

murof
Oct '19

The diner is still half there

Bug3
Oct '19

I heard that it was going to be a Whole Foods

Philliesman Philliesman
Oct '19

Too small a footprint. Would have to be a Half Foods.

Oct '19

The Kenvil Diner where the owner Steve was killed is still there. Rocco's is the name now. Haven't been there yet.

What was remaining of the physical structure after the diner was removed is now gone also. Empty lot now.

Let the speculation begin!

Jul '20

Olive Garden? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

We all know its a dunkin donuts.....not

Bug3
Jul '20

Trader Joe's? LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

"Popeyes Chicken"

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '20

If they tore that abandoned gas station next down too it would be a good spot for a wawa

Bug3
Jul '20

Yikes, opposing a Quick Chek. LOL. Let the convenience store rivalry begin!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '20

The gas station is no longer selling gas but is still an active repair shop. And you would also probably need to buy out the land from whomever owns the ice cream stand right next door if something as large a footprint as a Wawa was built.

Actually an under the radar situation in White Twsp is this disaster they are considering right behind Luigis Rancho Restaurant on Route 46. This is actually visually worse than the proposed warehouse they are fighting- yet seems to be slipping under the radar.

Talk about destroying the open land and character of your community in such a visible spot when you have a large eyesore building empty right up the street that could be repurposed. What are they thinking.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/2020/07/could-a-new-supermarket-be-coming-to-route-46-in-warren-county-developer-says-that-would-be-ideal.html

Jul '20

Ummm They are thinking Belvidere needs a grocery store... Closest one is 25 minutes away. The old A&P has serious mold issues from lack of maintenance. Also, It's better than the junk heap that's there now.

RA: it’s scary when it’s a pipe dream like the one you posted. Guess C19 will slow that one down for now.

Jul '20

OP- You must not be from the area. You do realize the eyesore that the proposed project would be? Did you actually read and look at the plan?

We all know the old A&P bldg is dilapidated, no news breaking info there. But, how about tearing down or using the existing space of the old AP instead of ruining the character of the area with yet another strip mall or large store sitting rather ugly right behind a rather iconic building in the area.

Jul '20

Your assuming the owner of the old A&P mall will sell the property so it can be redeveloped. So if they don't, what do you propose? It is owned by notorious slumlord Lane Group LLC. Since your so concerned about the "character" of the area, why don't you call them and convince them to sell to Becrett.

Might be a space issue, new design is twice the size.

Jul '20

The Rhyme Animal, you are correct another project in white township that is going to destroy the rural character of the area and right next to the stream!! SMH

2 cents
Jul '20

"Your assuming the owner of the old A&P mall will sell the property so it can be redeveloped. So if they don't, what do you propose? It is owned by notorious slumlord Lane Group LLC. Since your so concerned about the "character" of the area, why don't you call them and convince them to sell to Becrett."

Boom Roasted.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jul '20

RA - I would hardly say it’s “an under the radar situation”, considering it’s been discussed and approved by the planning board.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jul '20

For all the complaining White Twsp residents are making over the warehouse- something this visible and just plain ugly in terms of what it will do to that section of their community seems a bit of a surprise- that is all I am saying- sorry some others are not clear on my comments- but they have their own agenda also.

Jul '20

Looks like construction has started on something....doesn't really look like a dunkin donuts

Bug3
Aug '20

The one in Blairstown doesn't either .

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89c38002f4498835%3A0xba9f8ccbc96f0f9e!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOG7hbePWBsjCv6xhCo3Hls32fhCoIg1FYQt3I5%3Dw319-h240-k-no!5sdunkin%20donuts%20blairstown%20nj%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPn2qlUZMDZMzhhgXwIUWOipbW_KN2udR8aFNL1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicodSFu63rAhVHTd8KHdcxAvUQoiowCnoECBMQBg

97XBAM 97XBAM
Aug '20

97XBAM

Looks like there is an apartment on top of that DD

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Aug '20

The Rhyme Animal, I agree most of white twp residents seem to be in lala land when it come to their community. But the warehouses will bring in potentially 100's of trucks per day and will have a huge impact on the entire region, whereas a DD will not increase traffic and cause destruction to the area .

2 cents
Aug '20

The framing for the new Dunkin Donuts is going up this week.

Who puts a DD next to a quick check and the bagel shop?

Beaulvidere
Oct '20

They build them anywhere. Seems strange that at some point North, you go Hope. South - Maybe Washington. Just seems a little low density to support. Hope and expect bagels to do OK. Got good stuff.

Oct '20

Here is a picture from today, 10/24/20 of what the new Dunkin Donuts site looks like. It is certainly not any kind of upgrade from the former Crossroads Diner, but like anything, progress, good or bad, cannot be stopped- sometimes.

I think there will be enough business to go around there for this Dunkin site to make money. I touted here on this very site in 2012 when the Quick Chek went up that the Bagelsmith was not long for this world. How wrong I was on that one.

The Bagelsmith is now I believe more packed than ever, as Quick Chek(which I have renamed Dirty Chek) has gone way downhill in terms of quality and cleanliness the past year. I use Dirty Chek now as just what it is for me, as gas station and avoid the inside of the place. It is like a rest stop on the Parkway now there, and all that goes with that.

The US Gas station, right across from QC(DC), has now seemingly closed the gas pump part of the business for months now, and only houses an auto repair business now, as they had been. Their price sign is frozen in time, at $2.49 for regular, which we all know pushes the last time they had gas sales there to around the Feb timeframe.

The Bagelsmith is more of where the "locals" go now, and they have a clean, efficient operation- and dare I say, better prices than QC(DC) and better quality. So, they not only made it during this Covid time, they thrived and are even expanding their footprint with pizza ovens going in.

Dunkin coffee, hit and miss for me. The ones in Hackettstown and Washington, it must be the taste of the water, because it really is bad there. The one down near the bus station off of Rt.31 in Clinton, much better.

The donuts and pastries at DD have been pretty terrible for over 10 years now, so unless I have a gift card or am desperate for anything to eat, I don't bother- I would rather buy a pack of donuts off the shelf at some other place before I eat DD donuts.

The area in general, is slowly becoming a strip of shops, but that will take some time to complete, but it is coming. And, hopefully that awful supermarket idea behind Luigi's dies out, that would be another step in the wrong direction.

Oct '20

Looks like a Delta gas station is taking the place of the old US Gas. Good for QC to get some price competetion.

Also- the DD has HVAC on the roof now and the building facade is done- just needs Windows and doors.

Progress? I guess- time waits for no one

May '21

Looks the new dunkin Donuts in white township is about to open...the signs are up and parking lot is paved

Bug3
Aug '22

The White Township Dunkin opens tomorrow

I visited this morning. Noticed the place had no kitchen so I asked where the doughnuts are being made. The cashier said a local bakery- so I asked her to elaborate and she and the other manager had no idea. So who knows where it's coming from or what your eating.

That’s the majority of dds now. Terrible food.

Philliesman Philliesman
Nov '22

Very few DD products are made onsite anymore. Lots of microwaving of frozen items. Most donuts, bagel's, and the like come from regional baking facilities. Imagine the amount of preservatives etc. No thanks.

DD in hackettstown and Mansfield are the same..they don't have enough staff to make donuts..all trucked in

Bug3
Nov '22

The franchisee owns the 2 DD in Washington on Rt31. Perhaps they are bringing them in from those locations for now?

Took over a year for them to build and finally open/ for this junk?

What this area sorely needs now is- wait for it- a DINER!

Maybe Flavorz can reinvent themselves as a diner again- as their current format isn’t working.

Nov '22

Many DD, not just those locally, have their Donuts made offsite, and in some cases have for decades. Delis have bread brought in and so on. Nothing really to see here.

Route 46
Nov '22

I miss the Belvidere Diner.
Used to sit by the fireplace all the time.

I agree Rhyme Animal and AJMS. It’s been sad to lose so many diners recently. Never had to really travel for good diner food before.

Good donuts? Go to Duck Donuts in Greenbrook.
https://www.duckdonuts.com/greenbrook/

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Nov '22

Uncle Bucks in Belvidere has that local diner atmosphere, Thisildous too!

Illo
Nov '22

this is now the new home for Dunkin dounuts. And its busy, but usually in the morning.

Risa Would Risa Would
Nov '22

Uncle Bucks and Thisildous are very good!
Worth the Drive

ChiliDog ChiliDog
Nov '22

I heard that Thisildous is closing it's doors. Is this true?

Angela Angela
Nov '22

I went to this DD over the weekend- as expected, rather uninspiring. The coffee was pedestrian, as expected. The only bright spot was it was employing many local young people, who were cheerful and all seemingly working hard.

As I went by last night, this thought came to mind- "if this was a White Castle instead of a Dunkin Donuts, this place would be crowded".

I have yet to see a DD close because of lack of business, so this one will remain open- but I don't expect to be frequenting it all that often.

Nov '22

Angela - Thisilldous is not closing that I'm aware of. I have friends that go there all the time. I would have heard something.

A new bakery/cafe has opened up in bustling downtown Oxford. It's called Delightful Bakery. Try it before it goes out of business like everything else does in Oxford.

https://delightfulbakerynj.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '22

Thisilldous had posted on their facebook page a few months ago that the business was for sale.

Who in their right mind would open up a business in that ghost town

Philliesman Philliesman
Nov '22

To put the rumor mill to rest

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/nj/belvidere/320-front-st/pid_48143423/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '22

As others have said — yes, the owner of thisilldous was trying to sell the business for quite a while now. Calico, not sure why your friends hadn’t heard. It’s no longer posted on Zillow but it is still listed on other sites and they made several Facebook posts about it.

Kat - No idea. Will see them this weekend and ask.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '22

Philliesman, both Thisilldous and Uncle Buck's are packed on the weekends. I don't often go during the week myself, but I think they do a pretty good business then too (presumably with patrons from the courthouse).

MB- I think Philliesman was speaking of Oxford as the ghost town. I must agree with him. Tough sledding to open a business there.

Ah, fair enough then! haha

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.