Colin Kaepernick

What's the big deal about him not standing for the national anthem . Apparently he must not have the right to . I remember growing up there was this one guy refused to be drafted was called a commie pinko black radical and un-American funny today he is considered one of America's greatest icons. So if the guy doesn't want to stand he's not asking you to like it just respect his right to do it

Oldred
Aug '16

No one questions his right to do so, but it is total disrespect for all the men and women who have served in the military and those that paid the ultimate price fighting under that flag. Saying he is not disrespecting the military doesn't make it so. He is never going to be an American icon, just some entitled, self important, delusional QB on his way out of the league.

Denis Denis
Aug '16

He absolutely has the right to not stand or stand on his head as far as I'm concerned. But people also have the right to voice their opinions against him. Maybe instead of doing a worthless action like that he should try to donate some of his 19 million dollar contract to help the disadvantaged minorities. Not a big fan of P Diddy but yesterday he spent his own money and helped open another charter school in NY. That's putting your money where your mouth is.

Ollie Ollie
Aug '16

There are people whose deep religious convictions won't let them recite the pledge of allegiance because it reminds them of the passages in the Bible about "graven images". Let what ever one person's conscience guide them be their business, and theirs alone. It is neither disrespect nor selfishness to put faith before all else. Quite the opposite.

[and if you look at on line media, clearly others are questioning his right to do so]

He's got a right to not stand, we have a right to be pissed and call him out on it. The Dixie Chicks had a right to badmouth W. Bush overseas, their fans had a right to stop buying their albums. Actions have consequences. As long as you're prepared to reap the consequences, commit any actions you want.

But don't expect your "free speech" to not be answered with others' "free speech", that would make you ignorant.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '16

He has the right to not stand up but Dallas Cowboys can't put a tribute on their helmets for the police that were killed. I call b.s. on that.

Ollie Ollie
Aug '16

The only player to sit during the National Anthem of our country as a form of protest, because he say he is not proud of our country is absolutely disrespect. Only in your alternate universe would you claim it's the opposite GC.

Denis Denis
Aug '16

This has been on all news channels and in the printed press the last few days while Iranian gun ships have been threatening our Destroyers in the Gulf of Hormuz the last few weeks with barely a mention of it. They even had to fire warning shots to have them back down. I understand his right to do so but who really cares.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '16

It's called: "I am no longer the center of attention because my sub-par play on the field has left me relegated to the 2nd string. Therefore, I will be a social justice warrio in order to get the spotlight back on me."

Take a look at his Twitter. It's nothing but leftist negativity toward race relations.

No thespian
Aug '16

This scumbag doesnt deserve the publicity. He is an insult to Americans, Blacks, Whites, and Military. This story needs to be buried with his "oppressive" feelings. Please.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

Denis - Because they're the only one? Is it disrespectful to vote against invading a country because you disagree with it, or is it just an "alternate universe"? It's called a difference of opinion, it's normal and adults don't call other people names because of it. Let everyone decided for themselves instead of having it buried or be bullied into accepting someone else's position.

+10000GC - people need to get a grip here ---- not the first to do this - ---

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

GC your so full of crap, you always do the same thing, bring up issues with zero linkage. Forget the only one part "sit during the National Anthem of our country as a form of protest, because he say's he is not proud of our country" Explain how that is the opposite of disrespect, as you said, and try staying on topic. I am vehemently against many laws that have been passed recently, and I'm still proud to be an American, he is not. Again, not questioning his right to free speech, as JR pointed out his right to free speech doesn't give him the right not to face consequences for his actions.

Denis Denis
Aug '16

He's just the definition of a lowlife punk bitch in my opinion.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '16

It's very simple... If this Idiot isn't proud of our country then get the F out!!!! Take the millions of dollars he made playing a game and leave.... A wannabe rebel without a cause!!!!

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Aug '16

oh, he's definitely a punk lol. A punk who can PLAY, albeit not at NFL starting levels anymore, apparently... I think this will be his last hurrah, we won't be hearing much more from him in the NFL...

Aug '16

He is at work. His job is to entertain, not make a statement. If the paying audience, which inclues tv, doesn't like his actions, get him off of the field and the screen. Force him to stay in the locker room until the game starts. Let him do his preaching off screen. That's not what people tune in for. Let him give his salary, except $50k, to the poor, then I'll maybe spend time valuing his thoughts. Poor guy, in the land of no opportunity.

maja2 maja2
Aug '16

Absolutely, GC. He has every right. And it takes some courage to make a stand like that. A lot more courage than spouting anti-government tripe on a town internet forum.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '16

Vikings Would Go After Kaepernick, But He Can’t Stand Either.

Larry M Darst Larry M Darst
Aug '16

So the very freedom he is protesting is the same reason he can sit. Not sure what the point is.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '16

+1 Bob

That flag is a symbol of the freedom we all enjoy as Americans. So many have died for this freedom. He can have whatever opinion he wants. But he is going about it the wrong way IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Publicity stunt from the NFL - a week before the season starts this becomes national news.

Same deal with Ray Rice - a week before the season starts they dropped the elevator video.

Just made up controversy.
imo

I agree with a lot of the statements here. Yes, he has every right to sit during the anthem, and yes people have every right to voice their opinion about it. I don't see it as any more disrespectful as what JR has been doing with othe American flag for the past seven years. They are pretty similar protests.

Gadfly Gadfly
Aug '16

JR has been posting the flag in the symbol of distress. Which is exactly where we are.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

+100000 1988LJ
+100000 Mr Tone
+100000 Bob

I cant stand this entitled punk.
If he is so unhappy with the USA then GET THE HELL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure his tune would change if he lived in another country.

Really???
Aug '16

No, flying the flag upside down is meant to be a signal of literal danger. The flag code states that:

"The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

This does not include using the flag to make a political statement, which is what JR is doing. To me it's just about the same type of statement that Kaepernick is making - disrespect of a patriotic symbol to make a political statement.

Gadfly Gadfly
Aug '16

He's a has been quarterback who was probably about to be cut and now the 49ers are left with a mess on their hands. If he's cut, I'm sure he'll cry foul saying it was because of his protest.

Ollie Ollie
Aug '16

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
Abraham Lincoln
or was it Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Gadfly - This Country is in dire distress.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Gadfly doesn't see it that way because "her boy" has been in for the last 8 years. And like Caperpunk, she's entitled to her opinion... AS WE OUR TO OURS (that the country is in dire distress.)

It's funny how some people try to use "the letter of the law" in their favor when it suits them, but go all "gray" when it comes to following the letter of the law when it doesn't. I gaur-an-tee you that if it was a republican involved in the Hillary email scandal, or Benghazi, they would be screaming for him to be sent to Abu-ghraib. But since it's leftist Hillary, "she hasn't done anything wrong- you can't prove it".

They probably still want W sent to jail for the "weapons of mass destruction" blunder, but let Hillary lose an entire embassy (with damning evidence she did nothing to stop it or help those who were there), or put classified information in jeopardy, and it's "hey man, what's the bid deal?"

And these people probably still hold up Nixon as some kind of "bad guy" for taping phone conversations and having the democratic headquarters broken into. LOL

Aug '16

Re: Colin Kaepernick

i post this pic because it makes a good statement:

i think if folks are ok with an individual making an individual statement they ought to be ok with both actions depicted here.

if not, then maybe some self reflection is in order.

i agree with calico and JR, the country is in dire distress.

jr's use of the flag symbol is not disrespectful at all, it is a legitimate expression of his 1st amendment views. And it makes a powerful spot-on statement. If SCOTUS has protected the right of of individuals to burn and stomp on the flag in public, then JR's political speech rights in using the upside down flag symbol is also aok according to the supreme court.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '16

well stated

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

Aug '16

I certainly don't question his right not to stand, it's his reason that ruins it for me.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

I guess "dire distress" is all relative. I would say Syria is in dire distress. The US, not so much.

"I guess "dire distress" is all relative. Syria is in dire distress, the US is suffering from first world problems."

I can't disagree with that. However, part of the dire distress is in not wanting America to LOSE it's first-world status, due to the inadequacies/corruption of it's leaders and the ignorance of it's electorate.

Aug '16

"The US, not so much."

This is exactly the type of thinking that will allow it to get much worse.

"However, part of the dire distress is in not wanting America to LOSE it's first-world status, due to the inadequacies/corruption of it's leaders and the ignorance of it's electorate."

+1,000

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

People get shamed and fired for exercising their first amendment rights every day. This guy is no different. Curt Schilling got fired for stating his opinion on transgendered bathroom issues. There's nothing wrong with Kaepernick receiving the exact same fate.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

And yes, this country is definitely in extreme distress. I went to the grocery store this morning and they didn't have any 1% milk. They had whole milk, 2% milk, skim milk, lactose free varieties of each, organic versions of each, almond milk, soy milk, but not 1%. This country is going straight down the tubes...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

"This is exactly the type of thinking that will allow it to get much worse."

Because I'm not categorizing our issues as dire distress? LOL!

Good one, Ianimal

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

LMAO ianimal.

"Because I'm not categorizing our issues as dire distress? LOL!"

Yup, keep laughing. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

I have a strong feeling that a lot of his "not standing for the anthem" has more to do with his bacon being on the line for a roster spot. I'd be willing to bet that he's trying to make it look like if he gets cut, it's because of his beliefs, not the fact that he hasn't been worth the money they've paid him - FYI I know nothing about football.

What is true is he:
makes 19 million dollars a year playing a game.
was adopted by a family who are quite affluent in their own regard.
it is certainly questionable if he ever experienced any kind of adversity in his life directly due to the fact that he was lucky enough to be born in America and he pulls this garbage.

skippy skippy
Aug '16

He took the public discourse away from the point he wanted to make, and it all became about his display of disrespect.

Like any other American, he has the right to express what he thinks about the issues. He just chose an unwise way to go about it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '16

I can't tell if those of you arguing "the country is in distress" are dense or being intentionally obtuse. The flag code only allows you to hang the flag upside down to signal an immediate emergency situation, like when your ship is sinking. the argument you're making is just silly. - it's as if you called 911 and argued with the dispatcher, "what do you mean this isn't an emergency?! Obama is destroying this nation."

Now that I think about it, some of you might do that.

Hanging the flag upside down is contrary to the flag code, and is being used as a political statement. It's the same thing. Its your protected free speech, so have at it. But condemning this football player just makes you a hypocrite.

Gadfly Gadfly
Aug '16

I think people take the singing of the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance way too seriously. It's like the people who used to get upset at me because in school and Boy Scouts I used to do the pledge sans "under God", firstly because I am an atheist, secondly because the under God clause was not part of the original pledge, and third because I don't believe "God" should have any place in politics.
This QB (I don't follow football so I have no clue who he is) is absolutely free to not stand for the National Anthem. You have the freedom to not like it. Go pound sand.

eperot eperot
Aug '16

Calico,

This is just a matter of semantics. Believe me, I take the issues our country has seriously. But we are NOT in dire distress.

I just find it funny that you two are defending this political statement in the process of criticizing one that is very similar.

There are many that stand for National Anthem, put their hand over their heart and are pretty bad Americans in their day to day existence. They're in the same category as those that go to church every week, pray, and are nasty, mean and judgmental Christians. What I find amusing are the people that say you have the right to say whatever you want when they say anything they want, but don't like when others do the same. You can say anything you want, you just have to deal with the consequences.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Why is it always atheists and minorities who disrespect our country by ignoring the pledge, the flag or the national anthem? It seems those two groups of people always have something to whine about, especially atheists.

In my opinion, if you don't like the country, then you should leave. If you were constantly complaining about your car and you hated it, you'd trade it in? Why not move to another country if you hate it here so much?

I also think it's knee-slappingly hilarious that many of the liberals who say that people should get fired for "racism" or "sexism" or whatever (like the people who hate Trump for wanting to build the wall) are now going and defending this lowlife. What a joke!

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '16

Alot of people gave their lives so this guy could have the right not to stand up, He is always free to go find another country where he can make millions for being a very mediocre quarterback. If he did this in Russia he would in Siberia throwing snowballs for a living!

Wally85 Wally85
Aug '16

"Why is it always atheists and minorities who disrespect our country by ignoring the pledge, the flag or the national anthem? It seems those two groups of people always have something to whine about, especially atheists."

I'm not whining about anything. I'm not the one with my undies in a bunch over a football player who won't do the national anthem. And believe it or not, belief in a higher power is not a prerequisite for being a good American citizen. Read what Bessie said...she's absolutely on point. It's tokenism. Actions speak louder than words. So I'll keep on working hard, paying my fair share, voting and loving my country. Even when I may criticize certain aspects of it where improvement is needed.

eperot eperot
Aug '16

"And believe it or not, belief in a higher power is not a prerequisite for being a good American citizen."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

We should all feel blessed to live in a country where Kaepernick is permitted to sit for the national anthem. Every individual has the right to stand, or in this case sit, for whatever they believe in. People say that it is disrespectful to our service men and women not to stand for or anthem... But isn't this exactly what they are fighting and sacrificing for? Isn't the individual freedom to make this statement exactly what makes this country great? For those of you who think that Kaepernick should leave the country because he exercised his freedom, maybe you would be more comfortable living somewhere else where this freedom isn't permitted.... North Korea comes to mind. I for one feel blessed to live in a place where someone can speak out against the government, because they would like to see change, and not fear official repercussions.

Superkind Superkind
Aug '16

I'm still scratching my head as to what the flag, the Pledge or the Anthem has to do with religious beliefs in the first place.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

ianimal - IDK about the flag or the Anthem, but maybe the Pledge because it says "under God"? Just a guess.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Yeah, I don't think he is protesting anything religious at all, just what the flag represents historically, and presently.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

It's entirely possible to skip that clause (as Eperot mentions doing above) and not alter the meaning of the pledge at all. Allegiance is pledged to the flag and the nation. Whether or not the nation happens to be "under God" or not is somewhat immaterial.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

"under God" was added to the pledge in 1954, it wasn't original.

Aug '16

He also is wearing socks that depict pigs wearing Police hats. Classy.

Aug '16

ianimal - The pledge is specifically boycotted by Jehovah's Witnesses for the reason I had stated before. It begins "I pledge allegiance to the flag". To them that sounds like the biblical time where people were required to pledge allegiance to a golden calf. To them the only thing they are permitted to pledge their allegiance is God, and nothing else before Him.

Denis - If you can't see how relevant it is to the point of respect to your country how one day people all so gung ho to call those voting against the Iraq invasion morons, anti-American, and disrespectful to the military and then later were called right after WMD was found to be a purposeful lie, then there's nothing anyone can do to help you. Maybe it takes more respect for the country and the military to keep them out of harms way for made up reasons. And that's not crap. What is crap is associating unrelated protests with the military. It certainly can be wrong, it certainly can be misguided, and it certainly has consequences. But it's just not related to the military.

BD - Just remember it works the other way around too. Those that support the second but want to physically hard the first are just as wrong.

"BD - Just remember it works the other way around too. Those that support the second but want to physically hard the first are just as wrong."

I don't see anyone who is trying to INFRINGE Kaperpunk's 1A right to free speech... they are just either disappointed in him or pissed at him, which is also their right.

Anti-gun people DO want to INFRINGE 2A rights. BIG difference.

Aug '16

Also, the 1st only prohibits *government* infringement on speech.

He can still be fired/fined by his employer, lambasted on Twitter, and called an ass by his team's fans. That has nothing to do with 1st Amendment rights.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '16

"If you can't see how relevant it is to the point of respect to your country how one day people all so gung ho to call those voting against the Iraq invasion morons, anti-American, and disrespectful to the military and then later were called right after WMD was found to be a purposeful lie, then there's nothing anyone can do to help you."

GC doing what he does best, assuming to know someone's potions on A based on B. I never called anyone un american who voted against the war, it was a total fiasco, don't assume to know my positions any a matter I didn't discuss. But again not related to Kapernick sitting for the National Anthem. It is a load of crap. As I said you always try to tie unrelated issues when you can't make a valid argument. To say someone who shows no respect to the national anthem, a song replete with military references, written after the battle of Fort McHenry, a flag who people have fought and died for is unrelated to the military is idiotic! I guess as they have the salute to the military night tomorrow for the chargers game and he sits it will still be unrelated in your mind but the WMD argument is related LOL!.

Pregame entertainment will be provided by the Marine Band San Diego.
The Frog X parachute team, featuring retired Navy SEALs, will leap into Qualcomm Stadium.
The National Anthem will be performed by Petty Officer 1st Class Steven Powell from the U.S. Navy.
240 sailors, marines and soldiers will present a U.S. Super Flag and service emblems from all branches of service.
Color guards from the Navy, Marine Corps and Army will present the flag.
Six Vietnam War veterans will be honored at halftime in remembrance of the 50th anniversary of the war.
Petty Officer 1st Class Steven Powell will return to sing “God Bless America.”

Denis Denis
Aug '16

We are all ignoring a layer of this. In a public gathering, including a classroom, saying the pledge or singing the anthem (or just standing for them) is a way of focusing for a moment to agree that there is a shared event going to take place. We all agree to act civilly, as we do have one connection, always, our country. It does not force us to act or follow blindly, but it reminds us that whatever is to take place, there is a common goal. For school, yes, to follow the rules in order to learn. For sports, to always be aware of good sportsmanship. Win or lose, succeed or fail, we have a common goal of liberty, and will to do our best to get along with each other for the duration of the event. So to me, it is not just talking to a piece of cloth or honoring some lyrics. It is respecting your countrymen, your schoolmates, your teammates, the crowd in the stands with you.

maja2 maja2
Aug '16

JR - If you didn't realize my statement of "the second" has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. I meant the first frame of his picture vs the second frame. In other words Justice is Blind. (and there are some trying to infringe on his right by telling him to get out of the country)

Denis - Like I said I can't help you. I never said you personally called anyone anything, I was talking about people who most certainly did at the time. It's called using an example. Just because you don't get any of the points, doesn't mean they aren't valid or related.

maja - I don't think anyone has forgotten. To sit quietly to me is still being respectful of what everyone else is doing. I would agree it's disrespectful if the guy was yelling during a moment of silence. Or making gestures or running around during the song. I actually agree the guy is misguided and misplaced. But I don't agree that he's being disrespectful in just plain sitting, or that everyone has to do the same thing just because the crowd does, or somehow the common goal of liberty doesn't have room for acts expressing a different opinion.

GC I don't need your help in fabricating some linkage that doesn't exist. Your example is not comparable, just more BS deflection. You said his sitting during the National Anthem was not disrespectful, but the opposite. Meaning he is somehow showing respect for his country. His quote on the matter "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," How is that showing respect? Do you have any quotes you can point to where he showed pride and respect to his country?

Denis Denis
Aug '16

My bad CG, I actually didn't see BD's pic when I posted that, I only saw your reply. The forum is funny like that sometimes, I come back later and more posts appear lol

Aug '16

Denis - Stuff *I'm* making up?? This is what I said:

"It is neither disrespect nor selfishness to put faith before all else. Quite the opposite."

I did not say that specifically with Kaepernick in mind. I started by saying there are people with certain beliefs. I had in mind some Jehovah's Witnesses I saw in high school, as well as a Quaker who I've done business with. You're the one with the BS linkage.

Ok so your quote on the Colin Kaepernick thread had nothing to do with Colin Kaepernick but some Jehovah's witness you saw in High School, sorry my mind reading and telepathic abilities are a little off today, or maybe it was the sentence that you left out that followed

"Quite the opposite.
[and if you look at on line media, clearly others are questioning his right to do so]"

Were you referring to Kaepernick, or the Jehovah's witnesses you saw in High School.

The BS keeps getting deeper!

Denis Denis
Aug '16

Another thought on this issue- Yesterday on the news was a story about a Florida State football player, Travis Rudolph who while visiting a school saw a boy sitting in the cafeteria alone. He proceeded to sit with him and talk with him to the delight of the little boy who was autistic unknowingly to Rudolph. A photo was taken ( also with Rudolph being unaware) and shared with the little boys Mom, who was delighted that her son was so happy to share a table with a well known college football player. Why do I bring this up? Because I am happy to see that someone who" sat his butt down" actually made a difference in someone's life, even if it was in a small way. Think about that Colin Kaepernick!

facts facts
Sep '16

Nobody gets thrown in jail just for sitting down while the anthem plays, and that is something that makes America the great nation it is.

They punished you severely in Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia, if you did not stand and salute the anthem, or if you burned the flag.

I'm not a flag burner and I stand at attention for the anthem, which I hear plenty of times at high school sports events. I choose to honor our country that way. We are blessed that it is a voluntary act. That makes standing and honoring it that much more meaningful.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '16

Bravo! @ Andy!

Joyful Joyful
Sep '16

Yes, Andy, it is a Voluntary act - thankfully. And the bigger the brouhaha, the more impact it has - I am sure that he is grateful to all those who protested his statement.

I lost track of who asked about (critically) why biracial individuals (you pointed out Obama and Kaepernick) often identify with their "black" heritage - and "diss" their white? Think about it - how are they viewed - they are viewed as black, not white by the culture at large and certainly by racists (previously by laws)... and, what exactly are you saying here? why is this relevant to the topic being discussed - was it just a random thought you had?
Best response in this thread:
posted by CBGB
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
Abraham Lincoln
or was it Ella Wheeler Wilcox

pmnsk pmnsk
Sep '16

Pmnsk, you are correct, it's in how they are viewed by the rest of the world.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '16

Facts- you obviously didn't check your facts before posting. Kaepernick does extensive work with children with heart problems. Your uninformed post is forgivable though since it would have taken you a whole 30 seconds of googling to actually gather some facts.

Gadfly Gadfly
Sep '16

Gadfly- If Kaepernick does do that sort of work with children good for him. Then he should know that if you want to make a difference you have to be an active participant in my opinion not just sitting in protest. That was the point I was trying to make. There are many active ways he could assist the African American population especially the black youth. It is going to be military appreciation day at the next San Francisco game and he has made it clear he will sit out the anthem again. Ironic that he would be sitting in protest while the same people who fought for his right to do so are being honored.

facts facts
Sep '16

Classy move by Kaepernick for today's pre game warm up. Yet the Cowboys are not allowed to use the arm in arm decals honoring the the slain Dallas police officers.

Denis Denis
Sep '16

If he wants to sit on his butt while the national anthem is played that's fine, just keep him in the locker room until the anthem has been completed.

Thank you PMNSK

Superkind , that is exactly what I was thinking. Well said indeed.

not sure how those socks are classy though.

Thank You Denis and BC.Well done.Well said.

Kaepernick is just a punk. He disrespected our Nation. He realized weeks back that his career in the NFL as a starter is over. He's been terrible the past 2 seasons and is going to lose his job as well as his 15 minutes of fame. This whole incident was a desperate attempt to stay in the spotlight and/or get some other team to remember he's still out there for a possible trade. I don't think he really cares about the subject matter from which he made the foolish decision to sit during the anthem. He's just a DB ... plan and simple.

Frankly ... I don't really give rats a$$ about Colin Kaepernick's views on anything! I wish the media would just move on.

Maureen2
Sep '16

I don't see how exercising your First Amendment rights is disrespectful to our nation...

Hackettstowner Hackettstowner
Sep '16

almost afraid to ask...

Maureen, what is a DB?

ScottB ScottB
Sep '16

Of course he has the right to protest and he has been pretty straight about his statements about it including exactly what he is protesting and what he is not meaning disrespect to.

Sure you have the right to protest him as well.

After making the roster he backed up his protest with $1M charitable donation targeting the causes he is concerned about. That's about 5% of his gross.

IMO he should move forward to a different venue for future protests, variety is the spice of life :>)

"Yet the Cowboys are not allowed to use the arm in arm decals honoring the slain Dallas police officers." That's just bogus. Maybe they shouldn't have asked first....

I can understand being upset at the disrespect to the flag. Makes sense and it's your right. I can understand being disgusted by the racist fringe of BLM or it's opposition. To choose to see racism in protesting oppression based on a demographic or protesting for people gunned down needlessly seems more extreme than the protest. To me it's not a protest about white cops being gunned down by a racist or unarmed blacks being shot by police. It's not that black lives matter more than white. It's about equality and fairness. It's about people needlessly being killed by fear and hatred.

Let the Dallas Cowboys protest. Better yet --- protest and take your chances like Colin Kaepernick.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '16

More Kaepernick jerseys have sold in the last two weeks than in the last 8 months. At least his is doing the right thing this time.

http://ninernoise.com/2016/09/07/quarterback-colin-kaepernick-will-donate-jersey-sales-communities/

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Freedom. Freedom to sit for the national anthem. Freedom to bench a player for the game. 'Murica!!

"If any of my players sit on the bench for the national anthem, they will sit there the rest of the game."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/17487174/us-world-cup-coach-john-tortorella-stands-anthem-comments

Sep '16

I hear that the entire Seattle Seahawks team is going to sit for the Anthem this Sunday. Not sure if it's true, but bad move on 9/11 for sure.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

I'm all for protest. Gotta stick by your principles. If you feel the need to protest, go right ahead - it's our right. However the flip side is you need to be steadfast and handle any and all blow back. Not hard to do if you believe in something strongly enough.

ScottB ScottB
Sep '16

If any of us hard working folks protested at our work locations, it would not take long to be shown the door. On Sunday, 9/11 at NFL stadiums, it will be a sad day in American history if the red, white, and blue does not get the respect it deserves.

Mike L Mike L
Sep '16

It is quite respectful to have the right to CHOOSE and to patriotic to care enough to exercise freedom of speech - what would be disrespectful would be to remove these rights and FORCE individuals to say/demonstrate as dictated by others.

pmnsk pmnsk
Sep '16

ALM = All Lives Matter. This includes the other beings we share this planet with...

There are other ways to protest about this 'one topic' without sitting down through our national anthem and disrespecting our nation.

He could've held up a sign, made a tweet, refused to interview after the game etc. Sitting down during our anthem is 100% disrespectful. Lets remember the sacrifices many have made and are making now overseas defending our country.

ScottB - "what is a DB?" WOW... Lol, use your imagination.

Hackettstowner - "freedom of speech" Speaking your mind is one thing, that is our right and I'm all for it. (Good for him if he wants to do that!) IMO, Sitting down on purpose through our anthem is stepping way over the line. Never mind the police topic, that's a smack in the face to our nation and everything that stands for.

Maureen2
Sep '16

I'm so very glad that we live in a country where it is our CHOICE how we think/feel/believe - so happy that other individuals don't have the right to control my freedom of expression - that my opinion can be voiced as freely as yours and that this, hopefully allows for more open discussion of issues, problems and plans - grateful that we have the RIGHT and I feel the PATRIOTIC OBLIGATION to PARTICIPATE, to express what we think, to give energy toward our role in this democracy.
I have that right, you have that right and we will often disagree. All of our perspectives should certainly be expressed, as well as our reactions, but don't ever claim that the desire to limit others' expressions is patriotic - those that fought and sacrificed ensured this freedom, not its limitation.

pmnsk pmnsk
Sep '16

Pmnsk, after reading your post you certainly deserve a standing ovation, wow!

Excellent!!

positive positive
Sep '16

iJay-ALM=All Lives Matter. Your forgetting only ONE exception... The Unborn.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '16

"Land of the free"

Some of us are freer than others, especially when that song was written.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Sep '16

+1 auntiel. They ALWAYS forget the unborn. They are an afterthought.

Sep '16

Jeff - "they"?

pmnsk pmnsk
Sep '16

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Pursuit folks, not everyone makes it to happiness...

We all have the freedom to choose.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '16

auntiel - You would think that the Commander would have proofread that. Banded? Sea Hawks as two words? I admire the idea though.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

My fault, it has been corrected and updated, I hit the wrong button.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '16

YES antiel, that is exactly the point - we all have the freedom to CHOOSE - and no one has the right to impose their ideas/thoughts/preferences upon others. You don't have to like others' choices, but they do have the freedom to choose - and you have the freedom to express your dislike. No one has the right to dictate others' expressions - whether you like them or not, that's the whole idea, right?

pmnsk pmnsk
Sep '16

Not getting any argument from me. As long as your chooses do no physical or emotional harm to others. But that is not always the case.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '16

Obviously he has no idea what our flag stands for...he needs to be educated...my question...why now?? Why didnt he protest when he first entered the NFL.? Why did he wait all this time? My answer to him,give up your millions, take off your jersey, give your money to your " opressed" brothers and sisters. Sell your multi million dollar ..home. and give the money to the opressed ones .Or keep the mansion and move them in and care for them! Give up your career and work in a soup kitchen...he needs to put his money where his mouth is! But...I bet he doesn't. ..hippocrit!

Browning
Sep '16

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/us/charlotte-police-shooting/index.html

This is how stupid people like Kapernick are... The police chief is black, stating the guy had a gun. The officer who shot the black man was also black. So what's wrong with this picture when you have idiots protesting, chanting "black lives matter" and setting things on fire... How about these people getting shot stop breaking the law and comply to commands. Cops of all races are shooting these men. It has nothing to do with race in the majority of these cases.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Metsman, do you believe "Blue Lives Matter"? How about "All Lives Matter"? Yes? Then is your only issue that you don't believe black lives matter?

jon s
Sep '16

I feel a lot of people don't understand either perspective. Live and let live. Patriotism is love of country. We can't force others to love the country. People say he should stand because he is disrespecting the flag, yet it is okay for models to be nude with the flag wrapped around them. The issue he is raising agreed with or not is his to believe in. His choice of not standing during the anthem is his and his alone. If you want him or other players to understand your "feelings" you must also understand and respect theirs. That is why the act of self expression and freedom of speech exists. I don't feel it is fair for everyone to compare and say things about Veterans when many do practically nothing to help Veterans on a daily basis....

David T. David T.
Sep '16

Jon S I don't know where you're getting I said black lives don't matter. People of any race who brandish a gun or threaten others no longer matter. They need to be stopped. That is what cops do. And if black people condone the actions of their own no matter what they do, then they are delusional. I'm pretty sure their grandparents weren't rioting when black men were lynched in the old South over nothing. The majority of these men being shot give just cause to be shot. So why would you protest over that....

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

I agree he certainly has the right to his opinions and to voice them properly. But as I used to tell my kids when they were in school, they don't have to like or agree with their teachers, but they do have to show them respect. I think what he did was extremely disrespectful.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Sep '16

Question: If Kaepernick has the Right to freedom of speech and expression, and therefore sits out the National Anthem; then why was Tebow practically drummed out of the NFL for praying? Where was his Right to free speech and expression, not to mention religion? Just wondering why some people are defended when they exercise their rights, but others are condemned. ( Don't give me the argument of "freedom from religion". It is not in the constitution and would not apply to individual rights, either way.)

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Sep '16

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore, That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion A home and a Country should leave us no more? Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave, And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

ken e
Sep '16

JBJDKJ, because Tebow wasn't being disrespectful.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '16

Hahaha!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

"then why was Tebow practically drummed out of the NFL for praying? "

He was drummed out of the NFL because he was a lousy QB. LOL, his praying and all of the media attention it got was the only reason that anyone gave him a chance in the first place. He couldn't throw a football into the ocean from a boat, lol. He completed less than 50% of his passes over his career. I can't tell you just how bad that is...

http://www.nfl.com/player/timtebow/497135/careerstats

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

"He couldn't throw a football into the ocean from a boat, lol."

OMG! I almost choked to death right there. LMFAO!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Might depend on where the boat was at the time.

The Man The Man
Sep '16

Word on the street is NFL tv ratings have taken a hit since Kaperpunk's little stunt....

Sep '16

I personally like the raised fist. You know, the black power fist. That's what the thug players are doing now. But let's just turn a blind eye to that........again.

Philliesman Philliesman
Sep '16

"I personally like the raised fist. You know, the black power fist. That's what the thug players are doing now..."

Well, if nothing else, at least now you know how black people feel when they see the Confederate flag. Just consider it to be their "heritage" and everything will be ok...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

Hey, we got's NFL protests, high school versions. youth football versions, college versions. What's that song....

"Everybody's doing a brand new dance now
Come on, baby, do the Kaepernick motion
I know you'll get to like it if you give it a chance now
Come on, baby, do the Kaemernick motion"

More power to them. Give it a chance, life matters.

Thug players.....that's rich. It's football you know.... Maybe they're just practicing being not being politically correct. Isn't that the "locomotion" right now? If you want polite, try politics.....

Sep '16

Yeah but you don't see any player waving the confederate flag at a game. Can you imagine if they did? Kicked off the team, contracts for endorsement deals torn up, etc etc. Again, since they are black, we will just turn a blind eye.

Philliesman Philliesman
Sep '16

Blind eye? I wish. LOL, I've heard almost nothing BUT talk about these players and the anthem for the last month. Even last night, that jagoff Jim Nantz had to inform all the viewers halfway through the first quarter who did what during the friggin national anthem. Yeah, everyone's sweeping it under the rug, Philliesman.

Brandon Marshall of the Broncos has lost endorsement deals over his decision. Kaepernick, I don't think has... but then again, the only place I see him anymore is on Beats headphones commercials, so they are probably behind him.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

Seeing that would be rich Phillesman. You do realize the demographics of football and the cowardice of Confederate Flag wavers don't you?

Sep '16

"Well, if nothing else, at least now you know how black people feel when they see the Confederate flag. "

Do you think maybe the same as the American Indian feels when they see the US flag?

The Man The Man
Sep '16

I guess we should just ban ALL flags and the national anthem and get it over with, huh?

Sep '16

If Colin and other millionaires wish to make a statement about racism in America. Refuse to accept or use any currency that has a person on it who owned slaves.

Sep '16

It's one thing to kneel when someone else sings the national anthem; it's quite another to kneel while YOU sing the national anthem, lol

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17854170/national-anthem-singer-denasia-lawrence-kneels-miami-heat-philadelphia-76ers-game-performance

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Terrible.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '16

As long as it's not a white guy with a confederate flag, it's all good. Right Ian?

Philliesman Philliesman
Oct '16

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/11/10/colin-kaepernick-skips-voting-because-claims-it-doesnt-really-matter-who-wins.html

Really? not even voting? You are going to sit in a corner with your arms crossed until 'there is a change' but you will not be part of that change. How pathetic.

Yes, you carebear, it is your right to kneel and your right to not vote (God bless the Constitution!!). But might I suggest another form of protest - like a hunger strike? Why don't you try not eating until there is change?

Who is the one that decides when there is enough change for you to stop kneeling? This protest is pretty vague and self-serving. Don't the most effective protests involve sacrifice? You have sacrificed nothing Mr. Kapernick.

Scottso Scottso
Nov '16

Colin Kaopectate gets ripped a new one by ESPN's Stephen A. Smith for being exposed as a hypocrite ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM38Phpz_UE

Zombo Zombo
Nov '16

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716363-colin-kaepernick-compares-police-to-slave-patrol-after-philando-castile-verdict

This idiot needs to just shut his mouth already. The cop in this case is Hispanic. I'm sure he didn't wake up that day saying to himself, "I'm gonna shoot a black man today"...

Metsman Metsman
Jun '17

Is he still playing? I'd forgotten about him already....

Jun '17

JR I think the Saskatchewan Roughriders are going to give him a try out. He's OK with O Canada.

Denis Denis
Jun '17

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732964-colin-kaepernick-tweets-support-for-jemele-hill-after-donald-trump-comments?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

This guy will never get another job again in football... He keeps shooting himself in the foot.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

^^She wasn't wrong. And neither is he.

Birdie Birdie
Sep '17

Yes they are wrong. That's their opinion not based on fact. Just like his calling police pigs and slave labor enforcers is wrong. The guy is a joke...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

Metsman, you can't someone is "wrong" and that it's "their opinion." You can say you disagree with their opinion, but not that it's wrong. And the guy may or may not be a joke, but, he whether he gets a job in football should mostly depend on his skill level, and somewhat on criminal behavior, and not on opinions. I'm sure you would agree that any person should be able to express their opinions, as long as they don't incite violence, and their livelihood should not be at risk for those expressions.

ken e
Sep '17

He's a tool who has every right to voice his beliefs. I will not defend what he has to say just like I disagree with the way the nfl has treated him. Wife beaters, drug users and the like are all employed, I just question priorities in this particular case.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '17

The NFL is dead. Just a matter of time before it collapses.

Mickey Mickey
Sep '17

"^^She wasn't wrong."

So she said in her tweet that Trump won because of white supremacy. Umm... Hillary was white too, as were ALL of the Democrat primary contenders (Republicans had black, white, Latino, and Indian candidates). If she was looking for a good black candidate she only has her party to blame for not finding one.

Blaming everything on whitey is just as racist as what they claim be be against.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '17

$100 says Mickey collapses and dies before the NFL does... any takers?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

The odds don't favor the bettor. Probably have to lay down $10,000 to earn $200. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

All pro sports are approaching change soon. I've got 3 teenagers, all play sport(s). Non watch or follow sports and it appears about 90% of their friends don't either.
Off subject I know...

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '17

Roy, none of your kids or their friends were going pro anyway. (-;

Plus, I didn't watch much in the way of sports on TV when I was in high school either. I was always out doing something. It wasn't until college where sitting around and drinking heavily all day Sunday became a thing (-;

None of the pro sports leagues (or major colleges) are ever going to have a shortage of people willing to risk their bodies for the opportunity at fame and fortune.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

"None of the pro sports leagues (or major colleges) are ever going to have a shortage of people willing to risk their bodies for the opportunity at fame and fortune."

Nor a shortage of suckers willing to dole out money for the overpriced seats.

The only thing that could change pro sports is ratings (the NFLs have been dropping, but the commish don't care, he's like many CEOs these days: eff the consumer, it's his way or the highway), and merch sales dropping. And even then, it'll take awhile... there's always another sucker willing to fill the empty seat left by someone who is sick of it.

Ditto "rock stars" and their concert ticket prices.

Sep '17

As for Kaperpunk, actions have consequences. He took actions, now he is suffering the consequences. It's called life. Hope he's enjoying his couch.

Sep '17

I'm talking in terms of support. No fans no money no salary no etc etc.
I give my kids every oportunity to watch (I watch a game almost every day) and play sometimes attend but supporting the sports isn't catching on.

Roywhite Roywhite
Sep '17

Kapernick is not playing for one reason and it is not political...it is his lack of football skills.

He had one year with decent results because he played in a college style offense.

He is not NFL material.

He skills have declined and the rest of the baggage that goes with him is not even worth the league minimum pay.

Trust me, an owner would sign him if he had any potential.

Joe Montana
Sep '17

Joe - You are 100% correct. He is not an NFL caliber QB. End of discussion.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

If he has a free right to disrespect the country and the men and women in service while wearing the uniform of his employer, then surely his potential employers have every right to not want him representing their team. Besides he opted out of a contract, so bye..

Denis Denis
Sep '17

He was at his apex year 1. His style doesn't get better with experience and then you add his distraction from the game, who would want him for millions?

There is also the " locker room" situation.
I'm sure his actions don't go over very well with the ex- longhorn and ex-razorback linemen that have to experience what amounts to automobile collision trauma to protect him on every play.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.