Teen Hangout?

My family just moved to the area and I was wondering what the teens do for fun? Is there a place they all seem to frequent?

The pool, Airsoft, movies, the parks.

Hopeful Hopeful
Aug '16

Go to school and make friends. After 10pm there are Half Price Appetizers at Applebees that kids like. Get involved with school activities is best bet.

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Aug '16

Are teens really hanging out in Applebee's after 10 pm?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Welcome to the area. Hackettstown has some great organizations. Our teenager has been involved in the Colonial Musketeers for years. It is a great family atmosphere and has a great history of building children with great character for over 40 years. Come to the Hackettstown Community Center any Friday night from 7pm to 9:30 and check it out. For more info www.ColonialMusketeers.com

Chris Morpeth Chris Morpeth
Aug '16

I don't think there any many people above the age of 18 at Applebee's on a Friday/Saturday night. A lot of kids go there and get app's/milkshakes. I feel bad for the wait staff as I'm sure they're a high pain/low gain crowd.

Sycamore
Aug '16

Go to the Strand to see a movie. Hang out behind McDonalds or Burger King.

Chris OConnor Chris OConnor
Aug '16

Calico, yes, Applebees is packed with teens after 10 PM for the half-priced apps. It seems that it's their target audience. They go there after school/sports events, or after they get off work.

Like Chris Morpeth said above, Colonial Musketeers is a great idea.

As for the other Chris on this thread, the 80's called and wants their hangouts back

Wow! I had to be home by 10:00, the latest, even when I was a senior in HS. I guess times have really changed.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

It's very innocent Calico696. I too at first was like hmm, after 10? But there isn't a whole heck of a lot for them to do. So I never minded driving them there or picking up. My children are out of HS and still go for the apps and a place to just talk.

yes, there are plenty of clubs and sports to get involved in here in Hackettstown. Go to Hackettstown.net and check out recreation.

just saying just saying
Aug '16

Thank you so much!

The pool?

For one more week lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '16

Calico do you remember the term "breaking night"? Back in the 80's it was a big deal and if you did "break night" you were considered to be so cool. Lol

positive positive
Aug '16

"Wow! I had to be home by 10:00, the latest, even when I was a senior in HS"

Nerd (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

Lol ian!

Calico, no wonder we never met even though we both grew up in the same neighborhood. While you were sleeping I was busy "breaking night". Lol

I guess I was the bad kid... ();

positive positive
Aug '16

What about the new pool hall at the end of Stiger St.? Is it open yet?

jrsemom jrsemom
Aug '16

Yes, the new pool hall opened August 25th.

positive - Never heard of it.

ian - Nerd had nothing to do with it. Having a strict Italian father, not afraid to use a belt, had everything to do with it!!!! :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Senior at 10pm. Weekdays maybe but certainly not hard and fast. But I was up at 5am for my commute. Weekends too? I was just heading out at that time.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '16

When I was in high school we hung out in the cornfields in Great Meadows and drank...so that's always an option. kidding

Colonial Musketeers probably isn't appealing to many.

Unfortunately, its part of growing up around here. You hang out at friends houses, movies, restaurant, bowling, hiking...i guess that's why we chose to drink underage.

Nosila Nosila
Aug '16

I'm still curious about those movies at "The Strand" that Chris OConnor mentioned. Did the Vienna Piano Company move out and someone take over the theater portion of the building from them? The Strand hasn't shown movies in quite a long time.

kd3

The Cinepolis Theaters in Mansfield show movies and there are places to eat in the same strip mall, as well as nearby. The best night to go is Tuesday, as long as they still offer $6 tickets that night. If you're somewhat gregarious I imagine you could meet other teens there, since you'd already have the movie in common to talk about. There's normally more teens at the weekend shows, especially during the school year which starts soon. http://www.cinepolisusa.com/mansfield.aspx

Of course the best place to meet other teens is at school itself. After school clubs and/or athletics provide a great place to find like minded people who'll surely clue you in and show you the places to go and "show you the ropes" so to speak so you quickly get familiar with the town. I moved a LOT due to being a "Military Brat", so I know how tough it can be when moving to a new place.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

Too bad the skate park closed, that was THE place to go when my daughter was a teen.

A teen social night club would be nice..a DJ, dancing, soda and snacks. That was the go to place when I was a teen where I grew up.

positive positive
Aug '16

positive, we had that too. Sometimes at a local social club, sometimes at area municipal pools. We still drank before we went. So, I don't think you can blame teen drinking on a lack of anything else to do.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

I agree ian some are still going to drink a smoke weed. However from my own experience..keeping teens stimulated and busy does help.

When I lived at the lake.. my teen daughter at the time and her friends would rely on me to take them out of no man's land. Lol. I took them on little adventures, such as investigating old abandoned homes, buildings and bridges at night. I took them to the pool, mall, skate park and much more. My home was their home. Call me a den mother. Lol

Unfortunately most of these kids came from an undesirable home life and I did what I could to try to keep them out of trouble, but of course they still dId there teen rebellion thing. However, I believe it could've been much worse.

Bored teen (who feels ignored)=trouble

positive positive
Aug '16

positive - How nice of you to do so much! Great job ma'am. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

LOL!!!! Can't even type right and spitting out my tea!! You got me good young lady!

positive positive
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.