Found Kitten on Side of Highway

Forgive me for sounding silly, but I don't know the first thing about kittens. We found one trying to cross route 57 by Warren County Community College just now in the dark. We were afraid it might get run over, so we have it now in a cardboard box. My question is what do we do now? I don't have cat food. Do kittens eat cat food? It's terrified and won't let us hold it long enough to snap a photo so we can post it and possibly reunite it with its mother.

He's so upset, and I feel terrible for him but didn't want to leave him there to be run over.

Megan Megan
Aug '16

Re: Found Kitten on Side of Highway

I called PAL and left a voicemail. We gave it milk, and it seems to be very thirsty.

If anyone knows where I could post (in the Washington Twp/Franklin Twp area) to see if this cat belongs to someone I'd appreciate it.

Megan Megan
Aug '16

You did the right thing Megan. Kittens eat every 4 hours from my experience. I'd give him canned food, but add a teaspoon of water to it..to prevent dehydration. That's very important.

If you don't want to keep him, you can try the Hackettstown Pet Adoption, Noahs Ark or Dr. Blease in Washington.

I'm sure many other posters will give you great advice on places to post.

It's natural that he's scared, but in due time he will adjust.

Thank you for helping him.

positive positive
Aug '16

Great job. It could be a long night but well worth it. Thank you!!!!

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '16

I think he looks old enough to have water, and wet cat food. You can also give him dry kitten food.

Im sure he will drink up water and the moisture alone in wet cat food will be enough.

I would NOT give him reg. milk.

SO nice of you to take care of him.

littlelu littlelu
Aug '16

kitten milk - available at any pet store and food that says kitten on it
you can get a throwaway litter box and some litter................

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

Thanks so much for all the replies. We only had a tall Rubbermaid storage bin (no lid on obviously). The cardboard box seemed too small. We put a towel on one end that he seems to be happy to curl up in it. I put newspaper in the other end (wasn't sure if he might use that to do his business since we have no litter?)

He's quiet now, and he was purring a lot when everyone was petting him. He wasn't happy being caught, but boy he got really close to being run over by a car! Glad he's ok at least for tonight. Wondering though if we took him from the care of his mother... Or his owners. I would like to find out if someone is missing him.

Megan Megan
Aug '16

Litter would be best, but since its late.. I'd suggest shredding or tearing up the news paper since cats like to scratch and cover.

Training is important, when you see him in a corner ready to crouch, pick him up right away and put him in his toilet area. It will probably take a few times, but eventually he will learn where to go. I had to do that with my cat when I first got him at 4 weeks old, he's almost 3 now and it's never been a problem.

positive positive
Aug '16

Kittens are very easy to litter train. They instinctively want to "go" in there. So, like stated above, if you catch him/her in the act, just scoop him up, not with the little(LOL), and put him in the litter box. You can even make one out of a cardboard box, just until you get one. If he pees somewhere, try to rub it into the litter in the box. That scent will bring him back there and he will basically train himself. If you're not planning on keeping him, just buy the cheapest litter box you can, as the cardboard will soak through. I think it's wonderful, what you did for this little kitty. Looks to be about 7-8 weeks old. If he is purring already, that means he is happy. Kittens, passed 4 wks. old, will be afraid of a new environment, for several hours. This one seems to have taking a liking to you. Your going to have to change your handle to "onecatmom" (I've always liked your handle, 4cat.) Anyway, good luck, Megan and thanks for rescuing that adorable baby.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Aug '16

Can you take a ride over there today and look around to see if there's a litter and a mommy there? If that "diner" is open maybe ask in there. Good luck and bless you for rescuing this adorable kitty.

Molly
Aug '16

Thank you again for all of the helpful responses. Any chance someone has a litter box they're willing to part with for a few days until we can find this little guy's home/rightful owner? I'm allergic to cats so keeping him isn't an option.

Molly- we did look around before we took him home. We couldn't see, hear or find anything. I think I will call the diner. That's a good idea. Just not sure what the name of it is... does anyone know?

Megan Megan
Aug '16

Well, I guess Noah's Ark is closed. I haven't heard back from PAL. Does anyone know of any other place that might take a kitten?

Megan Megan
Aug '16

Sorry Megan, I looked on google maps, it's called Sun Food Mart, the telephone number is 908-736-5341. Good luck!!

Molly
Aug '16

Thanks Molly. Guess I could have done that, but my brain isn't fully functioning. Lol. My little guy has been keeping me up all hours of the night for the last week. ;-)

Megan Megan
Aug '16

Happy to do what I can, thanks for all your doing for this kitty.

Molly
Aug '16

Thank you for rescuing the kitten. He definitely looks old enough to eat canned kitten food as another poster said.

Another couple of places if you are unable to keep might be Common Sense for Animals and Eleventh Hour Rescue.

Good luck and good job

Meghan I'm sure you can find a cheap litter pan at the Dollar General or Family Dollar along with litter and cat food.

Good luck with everything and thanks again for helping the kitten.

positive positive
Aug '16

No milk only kitten formula it can cause very bad stomach pains and Diarrhea. Most cats are lactose intolerance. Always have water and dry food out and once or twice a day give a tablespoon wet food. Cheap litter box and a scooper to clean it out. Cats are very easy to care for. They love to play with toys but even crumbled paper they will chase it and learn to bring toys back to you. If you want to keep it you will have to get it fixed. Good Luck to you . It is a cute baby. You can call Kim Bennett she is animal control for Warren County just leave her a message 908-625-0106 Thank you for helping.

Suzie Suzie
Aug '16

Have you tried Common Sense for animals right on 57 in Broadway? (Ithink)
(908) 859-3060...says they are there until 3 today.

jerzee963 jerzee963
Aug '16

You could use a box that a case of beer or soda came in. Or cut down the sides of a cardboard box so the kitten can get in. Maybe put the excess cardboard on the bottom for extra absorption.

Walker Walker
Aug '16

Sent you an email. Please check!

ladeevee ladeevee
Aug '16

Thanks everybody!

Megan Megan
Aug '16

Megan - Noah's Ark merged into St Hubert's.

https://www.sthuberts.org/contactandinfo

Whisker's Hope is another option. They're a kitty rescue.

jrsemom jrsemom
Aug '16

hi Megan,
please call Common Sense for Animals
Dr Blease (just down the road from you)-

908 859 3045

they take in all strays; and are a no-kill shelter

If you need kitty formula; please call Cherrybrook in Washington/Hampton NJ
they have ready-mix formula that replicates kitty mom's milk

Ps if you need any help; call me; I am right down the road from you; and can transport the kitty to Dr Blease for you; no worries ! :)
973 335 7080

Joni Moore Joni Moore
Aug '16

I can give you a litter pan and some litter also. Can you get to Hackettstown? Am in kenwood village the developement right behind Burger King, McD's etc. Have wet cat food also, thouugh not Kitten food. On oxygen and cannot go far in this weather. Can give you some toys too. Call me 908-813-1669-

Dansker Dansker
Aug '16

PS I have a litter box for you to use and artificial kitty milk...
and I can help with adoption :)

I do not know where you live; but I am just down the road from the WCCC..

973 335 7080
Joni

PS Please; do NOT let him go back on that horrible highway ! call me first 973 335 7080
or 908 750 6440

best,
Joni

Joni Moore Joni Moore
Aug '16

I'm a bit involved in other things at the moment, but if you can't get to Dansker by tomorrow morning, I can deliver what ever she has to you. I've got my share of canned food, toys and other things I can help with too. Calling Common Sense is a good thing too because the kitten should see a vet immediately both for checking out as well as determining age to decide on the best course of action.

You guys are great!

positive positive
Aug '16

I am so thankful for all of the kind responses and private messages offering assistance. We are all set now. Blairstown Animal Hospital is taking the cat tomorrow thanks to ladeevee. We should have enough food, toys and litter until then.

Megan Megan
Aug '16

So glad to see such an outpouring of support for the poor kitten! I have always had a soft spot for strays, as well. Friends joke I have the cat equivalent of a hobo mark on my door!

bullseye bullseye
Aug '16

Megan - Good vet, good organization. They'll take care of you and if there's anything else you need, you let everyone here know so we can help.

bullseye - I just had not one, but two of the neighbors cats come over for a visit about 15 mins ago just before the rain. One has declared for the 2016 Mayor race and is the choice of a whole neighborhood. The other is a very long haired calico Persian in need of grooming that chases after the mayor-to-be. (or is it vice versa, I can never tell) I comb out her knots. I believe my two cats have put something more like a 'Heaven on Earth' sign on my door. Cats come up to me and say "Can your kids come out and play??".

Are these cats left outside ? Did they go back home before the rain?

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Aug '16

so glad to hear things worked out for you :)
love to the kitty :)

Joni Moore Joni Moore
Aug '16

Thank you again everyone. The reception desk at Blairstown Animal Hospital was very kind. We said goodbye to kitty today. I hope he finds a good home.

Thanks again ladeevee!

Megan Megan
Aug '16

Happy to help you out! Should have come here first since I sent you an email asking how it went for you :)

I will update once I get news, too.

ladeevee ladeevee
Aug '16

Re: Found Kitten on Side of Highway

Well, this little lady is now part of PAL and I'm fostering her :) She's an adorable love, purrs like crazy, and cuddly sweet.
Thanks to Megan for getting her off the road and to Blairstown for veterinary care.

ladeevee ladeevee
Aug '16

So happy for the little kitty! Thank you Megan for your compassion.

Dansker Dansker
Aug '16

Very happy to report that this kitten, named Chloe, found her forever home today! She was a joy to foster and she's going to be well loved for sure :)

ladeevee ladeevee
Sep '16

Great news!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '16

Wonderful update on Chloe.......so glad to hear she has found her forever home.

littlelu littlelu
Sep '16

Great news!

Bessie Bessie
Sep '16

Thank you so much ladeevee! The world would be a better place with more people like you! Seriously...

positive positive
Sep '16

Look what happens when caring people work together. Thank you Megan, P.A.L. and Ladeevee. You changed the world for Chloe. This thread warms the heart. <3

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

Great ending!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Thank you, Megan.

Thank you, ladeevee.

Thank you, PAL.

Enjoy your new home, Chloe!

Aquarius Aquarius
Sep '16

Couldnt get a better ending to this story.

patricia patricia
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.