2016 Corn

Had corn from Donaldson's last week. Sunday it was excellent, had it Wed. and it was good, had it again today and thought it was bland.

The Man The Man
Jul '16

Try Tranquility's bi-color, that's currently very good. They have some white as well but it's not really ready yet. Stick with the bi-color.

Does anyone remember Lindekinds(sp?) farmstand, off rt. 15, the exit just passed the Rockaway mall exit, on 80 west? They had a variety called "supersweet". It was sweet as sugar and the only place that had it. I wonder if it's still open. Mmmm, you people are making me hungry.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jul '16

Greenways corn is wonderful! Had yeserday and today.

Dansker Dansker
Jul '16

Had Tranquility and Donaldson - all yummy

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

Had Ort on Sunday, it was unfortunately disappointing.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Jul '16

I just had Donaldson's corn. Yummy!

Is it Donaldson's "Jersey corn" (from down state) or actual Donaldson's corn yet?

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

They put the sign out for their corn when it changes from South Jersey to theirs. The first couple of days were bland white. The bi-color they harvested since that time has been great.

We had Bests corn it was ok....Had Donaldsons 3 times so far! AMAZING!!! Its their corn here not their South Jersey corn.

Next Tranquility. Anyone know the price there? Greenway also.

Christine Christine
Jul '16

Never disappointed with marshals on 46 ...by the way, I like to cook my corn unhusked in the microwave 2 to 3 minutes per ear and let sit for a couple of minutes....the silk just peels away, no mess! And so good!

Christine - I believe it's 65 cents. Best's is pretty good too, their ears have been really big while still early in the season.

We had bicolor from Greenway today (50 cents an ear) and white and bicolor from Donaldsons. The white was the biggest of the four ears I bought, but the bicolor from both places won out. Delicious.

Jul '16

Had Donaldsons tonight and it was great!!

Kucharski Farms is now back out on 517 selling their corn! They are the only ones I will buy from. I always wait for the truck to be back every year. LOVE their corn!

I also saw they started a facebook page. It does not have much on it yet, but if you search Kucharski Farms you can find it!

lovesweetcorn lovesweetcorn
Jul '16

Here is the link if anyone is interested:
https://www.facebook.com/KucharskiFarms/

lovesweetcorn lovesweetcorn
Jul '16

Kucharski's is always great. Will definitely be picking some up for the weekend and reporting back.

Kucharski's also has some at their stand on Water Street.

Greg G
Jul '16

Never knew that was their name, but they are the best and always my first choice:) glad to see they are back. I will also grab some for the weekend!

The bicolor from Kucharski's was very good, Tranquility still beat it out by a hair. But today Kucharski's has the white!!! Most tender corn of the season so far.

The white didn't have any sweetness...... at least the ones I got.

happiest girl
Aug '16

Had Donaldson's White Corn the other day. Delish! Bought 8 and they gave me an extra 5 even though they were fairly large to begin with. So now I have 6 left for tomorrow. We prefer to cook our corn with water, milk, and sugar in a large pot for about an hour. I know that's not "normal" for most people but it works for us. Never disappointed with the results.

countryside
Aug '16

Strange , countryside, but to each his own.
I would think a shoe could taste good if boiled for an hour with milk & honey!
:-o

happiest girl
Aug '16

Anybody know of a place to buy Luther Hill corn? It has small ears and a few missing teeth, but you can eat several ears without using butter or salt. Best corn I have ever had.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '16

Countryside,
I've never added milk, but I do add a bit of sugar as well and it always seems to come out good. Something Grandma used to do:)

Grill, baby, grill...'tis the season. Not only corn, grill zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, string beans, fingerling or baby red potatoes, carrots and even heirloom tomatoes, or any other fresh veggies you can find on the wonderful farms in this area. Clarified garlic butter is a great prep and dressing for all. Fruit grills up nice, too, but with honey dresssing. Enjoy!

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Milk and sugar for an hour? That sounds like something the old-time farmers would do to make tough silage corn edible.

If you've got good local sweet corn, no need to boil any longer than 5 minutes.

Thanks for the tips DannyC. Garlic butter sounds yummo! How do you make that and your honey dressing?

honey badger honey badger
Aug '16

I never boil it - steaming works very well

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

That's your opinion honey badger but it's not mine. 5 minutes?? Yuck

Whatever works for YOU is great! Whatever works for me is great too!

countryside
Aug '16

honey badger - To make clarified garlic butter, place chopped chunks of butter in a heavy saucepan and melt slowly over low heat. Remove pan from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes. Skim the foam from the top, and slowly pour into a container, discarding the milky solids in the bottom of pan. Sautee fresh, finely chopped garlic, add this and spices like oregano, parsley and basil to the clarified butter, as per your taste preferences.

Honey dressing is really simple: honey. This could also go nicely on some grilled veggies like carrots.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

I used to boil my corn, but I have a heavy covered stoneware baker now and I put my corn in it with a little water and microwave for 11 minutes. Comes out perfect.

Today we got corn from Ort for flashback pricing at 25 cents an ear. It's their 100th anniversary this year. The bicolor was good but the white was amazing! Doesn't need anything. Corn this fresh and sweet is perfect just the way it is.

Aug '16

I don't know if it is still there, but for years Donaldsons had a sign over their corn that said - please don't overcook our corn, 4 minutes is plenty. Not exact words, but you get the gist. I grew up on a vegetable farm and we never cooked the corn more than 3 to 4 minutes. Bring water to boil, add corn, return to boil and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Perfect!

Msprim Msprim
Aug '16

Had Kucharski's last night. A little disappointing, unfortunately. Ears were kind of small and one of ours was a dud. Basically a small cob with no kernels. The taste was a little sweet, but kind of starchy.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

I got my 3rd round of Kucharski on Friday and it was still good. But there were a couple of ears where the kernels on the ends were stunted. I figured it was the recent really hot conditions. The kids said they packed the bag with some extra ears, most were still good sized though. I'm glad I bought early in the day since the sun must practically start cooking them in the truck. It sounds like the weather is making the supply run out earlier than usual.

We never boil our corn. Steam it! Sooo much better. Fill a pot with corn, add no more than an inch of water, cover with lid, no more than ten minutes on high!

In this heat I started microwaving my corn. Two ears at time into the microwave with husk still on for 5 1/2 minutes. The silk comes right off! No steaming up the house!

Magpie Magpie
Aug '16

We tried Donaldson's bi-color corn last night - delish! I wrap the corn up in foil with some butter pats & cook it on the grill.

Had Bohacz's corn last nite it was excellant. Bi-color no pesticides, large kernels. He plants late so he will be selling into Oct.

The Man The Man
Aug '16

The Man, where is Bohacz's?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

Tracy -

Right near where the Kucharski's truck is on 517, there is also another farm back Cat Swamp with signs up for corn as well as tomatoes and other things. Sometimes on the weekends I've seen them have a small table on 517 as well. That's Bohacz.

If Bohacz doesn't use pesticides I wonder if it is non GMO corn.
Last summer there was also a stand further down 517 across from the church that sold organic corn. Forget the name at the moment ........

happiest girl
Aug '16

Happiest girl the stand is back there now! I couldn't stop
So not sure if it's the same.

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

GC, I drove north on 517 after picking up from Kucharski's and I saw a little farm stand on the left side of the road. Is that what you're talking about? I also saw the signs for produce that were directing you down Cat Swamp. Is that the same or different? Maybe we'll try them this weekend.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

iChristine --
Thanks, I'll check it out today!
:-)

happiest girl
Aug '16

Tracy -
The farm down Cat Swamp is a different farm from the stand on 517. The stand is currently selling just corn --- pesticide free. The other farm down the road has the tomatoes, beans, etc.

happiest girl
Aug '16

happiest girl - So blessed to be near the 517 stands and Cat Swamp Road. Doing grilled corn on Friday night for my youngest daughter (pregnant) and her husband. Pesticide free is so right. White and yellow kernel mix is the best, yes?

Also making a baby spinach and strawberry salad with balsamic and spices. Plus a dish of grilled carrots, pearl onions. cremini mushrooms and sweet peas, and cheese/garlic mashed potatoes as sides for what I believe you don't eat, super thin Italian style chicken cutlets. Making a huge batch of everything, so if you want some, you got it.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Tested a few ears of corn from the 517 stand...Delish! Also making shrimp scampi as an appetizer with fresh garlic, butter, lemon, horseradish and a little bit of hot sauce. Funny, but this same dressing might work on grilled fresh corn as well.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

DannyC --
I got the pesticide-free corn also. Very large ears. She even gave me a couple extra!
Your food always sounds so delicious. Your daughter is one lucky lady!
:-)

happiest girl
Aug '16

happiest girl - After another small test, the shrimp scampi dressing does work very well on grilled fresh corn. The bonus is the is the subtle flavor of the shrimp, so I made the scampi first.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

We had the Bohacz corn on Sunday. The lady selling it was very nice and explained the difference we could expect from her corn to the other sweeter white corn. She even threw us a couple extra ears. They were huge. Could only eat one. Still sweet, but definitely more "corny" as she described.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

DannyC - if your daughter is pregnant MAKE SURE that the corn is non-GMO as well as pesticide free. GMO corn is not even allowed in many other countries because it has been proven dangerous. It is almost impossible to find non-GMO corn anymore. Even if it' labeled "pesticide free" or "organic" it does not necessarily ,mean non-GMO; that's how they fool us Americans, not sure the farmers even know what's what.

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

"GMO corn is not even allowed in many other countries because it has been proven dangerous."

Nonsense. The most recent comprehensive "scientific" studies have shown it to be perfectly safe (although relatively useless for the desired end result of increased yields). It's only been "proven dangerous" in the minds of the Nervous Nellies. Corn (maize) was one of the first crops to be "genetically modified" naturally by Native Americans more than 5,000 years ago.

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/17/scientists-say-gmo-foods-are-safe-public-skepticism-remains/

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

Um, ianamal...that article you are using to prove GMO's safe was written by Tamar Haspel, who just HAPPENS to be on the board of Monsanto. Gee, yeah, she's one to ask what's safe. Also, read the article...it's an OPINION piece.

Ans another point - you are confusing "genetically modified" with "Hybridized" There is a major difference between a hybrid corn or tomato than a genetically modified one. Farmers have been "modifying" vegetables for ever by using seeds - genetically modified vegetables are modified with CHEMICALS made by Monsanto.

Please do a little research before you act like you know what you're talking about...

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

Oh and please by all means enjoy your GMO corn ianamal. Just remember in the early 50's they mocked and said anybody who said cigarettes were cancer causing were crazy, loony cooks, quacks and conspiracy theorists! There were articles all over, even in medical journals about how "safe" cigarettes were and how "dumb" anybody who though they were bad for you were. They even had doctors doing Camel and Lucky Strike commercials. Follow the money.

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

I'm not confusing anything. Hybridization absolutely results in "genetic modification", as does selection and promotion of beneficial naturally occurring genetic modifications in non-hybridized plants. You seem to think that there's a fundamental difference between natural and artificial genetic modifications; there isn't. And as for "CHEMICALS", everything is a chemical, lol. Water is a chemical. DNA is a chemical. Just because something is a chemical, doesn't mean it has human toxicity.

As for Tamar Haspel, I don't care who wrote the article about the study; the study was done by the National Academy of Sciences. Or did Monsanto buy all of them off too? If scientists are so easily for sale, why cant Big Oil squash that whole global warming thing? They have way more money than Monsanto.

By "research", do you mean reading blogs by conspiracy theory nuts?

My main problem with Monsanto is how they treat the small farmers whose crops they cross-pollinate and then sue, but that's a different discussion.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

Like I said, enjoy your Monsanto GMO corn.

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

I don't eat corn. The carbs'll kill ya (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

Where can I buy Luther Hill corn....??? I used to have it at my uncle Ed'd houser on Lake Mohawk growing up. Is it still available anywhere???

Luther Hill enthusie
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.