Possible terror attack in Germany

And another possible terror attack.

Ollie Ollie
Jul '16

3 suspects with long guns on the run - 0 under at this point

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Not to be disrespectful or inhuman, but I think it may be best if there is a single post about terrorism rather than creating a new one just about every few weeks. It's sad that it's what the world has come to but we should streamline the forum.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '16

We need to stop using the word terrorism. It's currently a catchall phrase for what used to be called crime. Too much emotion associated when the word is used IMO.

Bad guys in the world doing bad things. We just hear about it *all* the time any more.

BTW, has anyone seen the graphic about where most "terrorism" is perpetrated in the world? This isn't the one I was thinking about, but it conveys the same sentiment:

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/80365000/gif/_80365550_terror_fatalities_countries_624.gif

Basically, something like 90-95% of "terrorist" attacks happen in non-western countries. So there is literally bad stuff happening all the time. Like I said, bad guys in the world doing bad things... not surprising in the least.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

Why? That would confuse everyone with multiple conversations

Bug3
Jul '16

These animals have taken crime to a whole new level. Call them what they are. They want to terrorize all that believe differently than they. They want to kill as many as they can. They are Terrorists!

justwondering justwondering
Jul '16

You need to live in the real world justintime, 84 people killed in the Nice attack, women and children included. Who knows how many today, and the deliberate targeting of children first. A "catch phrase for what used to be called crime." Really, so this has been going on all along "we just hear about it all the time now". What planet have you been living on where this was an ongoing "crime" problem, it's certainly not this earth? Someone has a new trigger word.

Simple Definition of terrorism
: the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

Denis Denis
Jul '16

I'm not frightened Denis, so I guess that's why I think it is self destructive to repeat the word terrorism all the time.

I am very concerned though, but that's a big difference than being frightened.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

Whether or not you personally are frightened does not negate their intent. If you lived in Munich right now you might be however. It's not self destructive to call things as they are. What is self destructive is to ignore reality, and pretend what's happening is nothing new.

Denis Denis
Jul '16

But is it not self destructive to *know* that their intent to make you scared and then allow it?

justintime justintime
Jul '16

Who said anything about allowing it? I said that's there intent. Saying it's nothing new, and it's a catch phrase for what used to be called crime is delusional. Personally I'm not scared for my own safety, but I'm disgusted by what I see, and I am scared for my children, and their children on down the line, and the world they will be living in.

Denis Denis
Jul '16

I guess it depends on what your definition of what "is" is to quote Bill Clinton. Let's just call it what it is. It doesn't matter where it takes place, global or domestic, it's terrorism. You can be very concerned and that's your right as for me it scares the hell out of me. And having the president make a joke in the middle of commenting about was disgraceful. Note to you Mr President this isn't about you and I'm sure families of murder.ed aren't amused. What a tool

Ollie Ollie
Jul '16

Just know that you are playing right into their hands Ollie, that's all I'm saying...

justintime justintime
Jul '16

Justintime, I agree with many of the writings in your posts but this one I disagree. As a person who has either lived and worked in NYC for the 61.5 years on this earth and who survived both terror attacks on the Twin Towers, barely escaping with my life on 9/11. I lost some friends and colleagues on that fateful day, some of which were reduced to dust. Am I afraid, no, but you always have that thought in the back of your head that something can happen at any moment. I am grateful that nothing since 9/11 has happened and thank our law enforcement personal for that. While I try to keep aware of my surroundings, I know how easy it is for someone to walk into a crowded subway train and set off an explosive. These people are terrorists who are he'll bent on using their sick ideology to kill innocent people in the name of Allah, quite different in my opinion than murdering someone for in a robbery or a crime of passion. My cousin, a Fire Lieutenant who was off that day, lost many men from his house and spent the next 3-6 months attending funerals having to comfort the spouses and children of those brave men killed in the name of Allah. Enough from me on this subject.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '16

What joke did the president make? I didn't read or see it so if someone can give a direct quote, please do.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

I'm sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this personally kb2755. I'm fully aware that I couldnt possibly relate to your experience, and your perspective is more than understandable.

And unfortunately I think you can probably relate to my comment above more than most, that the goal of these people are to incite fear - the terror part of "terrorist". I also have a luxury you may not have, the ability to say no, they can't beat me. Sadly I look around and think that "they" have won the so called war they started, and have already reduced our society to one that lives in a near constant state of fear. So while I do understand the perspective, I also believe in my heart that the way to beat "them" is to not give in to their wishes. For now, I'm not fearful as much as I am angry.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

If the news would just shut up, about it, instead of glorifying it...
Now I know why some other countries have censorship.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jul '16

Eperot, I didn't bring it up, but here is a link. Not really appropriate in my mind, judge for yourself.

https://youtu.be/3oWfaa83ooE

Denis Denis
Jul '16

JIT, I agree with you, I do not live in fear but have a keen sense of my surroundings especially when riding the subway. However, as much as I can do that, there is not much I can do if someone is hell bent on killing as many people as possible. Unfortunately the subway is a soft target which is easily accessible without the fear of being detected in most cases. Unfortunately I believe they will try and attempt another terror attack in NYC. I was at my cousins house in Staten Island a few weeks ago where there were retired Fire Department Captains and others who told stories of finding fellow firefighters that are to graphic to be discussed here. Needless to say, it brought up more anger that subsided over the years. We must not give in but need to find a way to eradicate these scum from the face of the earh, no easy task for sure.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '16

It's called Duping Delight and think you people are being played for fools..
imo

Cause people can't keep a straight face when their lying...c'mon you know that right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbTh1ZrA8SI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEfn065PkCQ

OK, having seen the clip above, I can now say Ollie, you might have even thinner skin than Donald Trump. If that moment really grinds your gears, where a parent of children, one of whom is leaving for college soon, brings up that thought in the context of a discussion about the liberties and freedoms said children enjoy...I really have no help for you.

eperot eperot
Jul '16

Didn't ask for any help from you eperot. He came out and talked about Munich for a very few seconds and his heart went out to the injured. Excuse me, there were already a number of people, including children, that had already been murdered. A joke about himself was inappropriate at that time.

If having empathy for those people is a sign of being thinned skinned than I certainly am.

And again, I don't need any help from you. My gears are grinding just fine.

Ollie Ollie
Jul '16

Ollie - That *was* empathy. He was speaking about how proud we are of our freedoms and how we want them to have the future our kids will have. And how they deserve the pride we have even though some of them have had that taken away.

JIT - Although you have a certain point about the over use of the word, we can't just strike 'terrorism' from the dictionary. As some others with personal experience have said, it has a legit place. How about we change from 'stop' to 'more judiciously use it in a few clear instances'.

It will be interesting not to hear all the people go on about this particular instance as more facts come out. The need to spread fear isn't as clear as the need to simply kill. There is a recording of the gunman ranting about how German he is and f***ing Turks, they should all go back to where they came from, and how everyone has to "wake up", how they mistreated him, and now he had to buy a gun to kill them.

https://twitter.com/InterGarfield/status/756563899416244224

It's a crime and not terrorism??? Bet you wish you could pull that one back...... :>)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '16

Inappropriate time to make a comment about Munich followed by a joke. Period.

Ollie Ollie
Jul '16

I do think people are too quick to label these events as terrorism, blanket form. A bigger head scratcher for me is why there are so many young men out there in this world who think it's ok to amass a large stockpile of ammo and go on a shooting rampage. And it's always men. It wouldn't surprise me if this guy in Germany is not very different from our home grown A-holes, with a different take on the issue from Bill Maher in this New Rule clip:

https://youtu.be/Lad26hfccS4

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

Because they hate us.

Ollie Ollie
Jul '16

"A bigger head scratcher for me is why there are so many young men out there in this world who think it's ok to amass a large stockpile of ammo and go on a shooting rampage. "

Nothing wrong with a large stockpile of ammo. You can only realistically carry a couple hundred rounds on your person anyway, so what they have left at home is irrelevant.

"Shootings" are not an anomaly. Crime of all types is heavily weighted towards the male gender. The only exception is embezzlement.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-33

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '16

Facts still to come out, no doubt a deranged individual. Based on recent history I would not accept anything the German police, or government say on face value.

Denis Denis
Jul '16

"Although you have a certain point about the over use of the word, we can't just strike 'terrorism' from the dictionary. As some others with personal experience have said, it has a legit place. How about we change from 'stop' to 'more judiciously use it in a few clear instances'."

Agreed. The point I was trying to make is that the word is a synonym for "knee-jerk reaction" in today's society. Anything bad that happens must be terrorism, regardless of actual facts. The immediate response is due to this one word that foments the most fear in our society.

"It's a crime and not terrorism??? Bet you wish you could pull that one back...... :>)"

Why in the world would I retract that (completely true) statement? Are you saying these are not criminal activities?

justintime justintime
Jul '16

Of course the are criminal; criminal acts of terrorism.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '16

The immediate response is due to the fact we've had so terrorist attacks in the last year alone.

Ollie Ollie
Jul '16

The eyewitness who spoke to CNN says she heard the gunman shout, “Allahu Akbar” as he shot children in the face at the McDonalds; he then appears to have gone outside and started spraying other people with gunfire, a horrific scene captured on citizen video:

Before you believe the narrative coming from the German government, don't forget about their effort to cover up, and lie about the Cologne sex attacks.

Denis Denis
Jul '16

Before anyone starts to make up their own narrative, the video posted above is "citizen video" and not coming from the government. The video is there for all to see, make up your own mind.

No one is going to mention RU's absolutely insane post?

Gadfly Gadfly
Jul '16

Gadfly - Don't dignify it.

Isis just claimed responsibility for terrorist attack in Kabal. And so it continues.

Ollie Ollie
Jul '16

Exactly. Tin foil hats.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

I've commented before that the driving data behind "tin foil hats" and "conspiracy theory" more often than not has at least some basis in in reality but is taken to incorrect conclusions. I'll point it out again just to remind everyone to not jump right to "conspiracy" because all that does is close one's mind. Case in point, today's article about DNC emails alluding to assisting Hillary over Bernie as their nominee. Easily dismissed as conspiracy theory yet based on some factual information, now confirmed through email documentation. Lots of other recent incidences too as Mr. Snowden helped to demonstrate.

That being said, I'm in no way agreeing with RU's conclusions. Not only have they been debunked, but the level of collusion required to make his assertions believable would be so great, and the lies people would need to tell so big, that it would be impossible for the truth to not come out. The evidence RU likely come across was filtered and taken out of context, which is typical I suppose for these alternative theories. The answer to RU is to dig deeper and to look at all the facts, not the ones cherry picked by those pushing these theories.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

They spread their message of terror everywhere
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/23/witnesses-deadly-blast-strikes-demonstration-kabul/87472562/

"the driving data behind "tin foil hats" and "conspiracy theory" more often than not has at least some basis in in reality but is taken to incorrect conclusions." The "more often than not' part of this is conspiracy theory in itself..... :>)

The fact that some, if not most, of the DNC favored Clinton and tilted the table against Sanders is just true. Like the RNC hated Trump and made moves to limit him, the DNC being a party, not a democracy, did the same. The debate structure and format seems proof enough. And Debbie Wasserman Schultz is all but gone because of this, and not soon enough IMHO and I hope other heads will fall.

What happens to the RNC dependent on November's results will be the more interesting of the two parties. One path is Trumpism which actually might be cool, the other path is questionable future ---- not sure the RNC came put itself together with another defeat.

The thing overlooked by JIT is the path that these emails took. First Putin's Russia hacked the private system and then, working with Assange, got them released the night of the DNC convention. Looks like Putin favors Trump and wants to tilt the table in their favor --- Trump's and Putin's. I am not sure "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" in this case.....

As far as the DNC being anti-Semitic, can you say Wasserman-Schultz? May have been individuals, but really doubtful on a systemic level.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.