PODS - Pros/Cons?

I need to put my furniture in storage while I'm in between moves for a month or so.
Any tips or ideas appreciated.

I haven't personally used a POD, but I did load one for a friend. While it was pretty easy to get things into it (ground level, no need for a lift gate/ramp/leverage), there were very very few points to anchor anything. The skeleton was made of wood, and there were a couple of lag screw eye's stuck in each of the wooden ribs at about the right height, but not ideal at all for anchoring anything. I couldn't use ratchet straps because the sides of the container started bowing inward. It was very difficult to get everything anchored, and I'm still not sure how it all came out in the end...

I would use one myself, but only in certain situations... As long as what you're packing is adequately prepared (moving blankets, shrink wrap, etc.) you should be OK. Or if it's boxes, lots and lots that are the same size, preferably a multiple of the width of the container so you don't end up with tons of empty space on the sides... If you're just planning on throwing some stuff in there and strapping it down you'll have a harder time than you would in a truck...

Brendan Brendan
Jun '16

Thank you Brendan for taking the time to get back to me!

I used one when I moved my mom's stuff in H'town back to my house in MN. I had boxes, furniture, lamps, pictures, mirrors, etc. I did the packing myself - because I didn't trust anyone but me and it helped me know what was what and where it went. My brother and I loaded up the POD and I made arrangements for the move. It was quick and easy to use. I agree with Brendan, there were only eye hooks inside the container, so we used string to tye down things and anchor them. Nothing broke! And the container was at my house about a week after I left NJ. I would recommend highly as long as you have some packing experience. I did not have our family items in the container long, so I am not sure how that would be. Hope this helps dc10.

Momma Mo Momma Mo
Jun '16

We used one to move my son's things to Portland, OR - great experience for us but he's a young man without a lot of 'stuff' . Packing was easy and if you use some common sense about making sure things are secure it should be fine. The pick up / delivery and even arranging some help for him moving things up to the third floor went flawlessly.

Scribbler Scribbler
Jun '16

We looked into when we were moving back from SC to NJ. We had way too much stuff for it to be cost effective. We ended having movers come and using storage unit. The stuff was insured that way.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jun '16

Thank you everyone!

You can have a freight company deliver an everyday freight container and pack that yourself. Then the cost is the same as every day freight rates. PODS are ridiculously priced.

@GC...Do they store the container for you? I would need it stored for a month or so.

Thanks.

dc10 - There are places that can store it. You should call a regular shipper and ask to make sure they can do everything for you. Last I knew I thought Rogers in Great Meadows would do that. The one thing that is for sure though, that Brendan did mention - PODS do have the convenience of being flat on the ground. A typical shipping container would need a ramp.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.