Hackettstown closing maternity unit

Wow! How sad... A loss for our community and county.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/hackettstown-hospital-shut-maternity-department-move-services-newton

Mommytobe
Jun '16

That is really a loss for the community. It's also not good news for the hospital overall and I truly hope that they do not close it down.

This is sad. Newton is scary place to give birth.

not sack
Jun '16

How sad. All of my children were born there, as was one of my grandchildren. We had a great experience for all of the births. I'm sorry to see it go.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Jun '16

Very sad. They had excellent staff there, at least that was the case many years ago when I was giving birth there. I feel bad for expectant mother's in the area who now have to travel farther and for the staff being displaced too.

No wonder Dr. UZBAY is closing her office.

Geekdad Geekdad
Jun '16

I think that with Dr. Uzbay leaving was a factor with the hospital decision. Not many Doctors delivering babies due to the liability insurance.

kb2755 kb2755
Jun '16

The two doctors left for a job in PA leaving the ward with no doctor to deliver. Sad.

Mandm1 Mandm1
Jun '16

Rest assured, in case of emergency, someone there will help if you need it.

Talleyho
Jun '16

Dr. Uzbay isn't closing her office. She is moving to Florida and a new doctor will be taking her place. Suzanne, the midwife, and Louise, the nurse practitioner will continue to practice.

sadmama
Jun '16

I delivered both my babies at Hackettstown, and I had wonderful experiences both times. I am sad to hear that the maternity ward is closing.

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Jun '16

The decision to close HMC's maternity unit was made by Atlantic Health System the new owner. The second physician (not dr. Uzbay) resigned after being told that the unit was closing. He lives in PA and did not wish to make the drive to Newton.

Clpallamuchy Clpallamuchy
Jun '16

What is the formal name and address of the "new people" that took over our GREAT Hackettstown hospital facility?

Had a friend that went to Same Day Surgery this week. I was the pick up person and was given my number to call when person was ready to go home. 5 hours later never heard so called. The lady said we have been trying to get you. I never received a call. Come to find out, the hospital was calling the patients tele number. There were 3 calls on his phone from the hospital.

If they get this messed up - imagine what else is not right!!!!!.

Bernie Bernie
Jun '16

Does anyone know when this is going to happen?

Risa
Jun '16

I loved Hackettstown's maternity ward and am sad to see it go after they built it up so nicely over the years. With that said, I had each of my 3 children in 3 different hospitals and were all fairly routine (comical, but routine). For the 2 days that you're there and if I had any complications I would gladly drive to Newton to deliver.

But, the word on the street is that Atlantic Health will have each hospital in their network be a specialty hospital.

They are keeping the cancer center and even though we'll lose maternity we will likely get a major expansion of one of the other disciplines. I personally don't know what the other hospitals are doing but with Goryeb I can't imagine we'd get pediatrics. But maybe Heart disease/Stroke, Diabetes, Orthopedic - any of those areas would be a wonderful benefit to our community as a whole.

The hospital will be in flux for a few more months and some staff will be transferred both from and to Hackettstown and they can choose to stay with Atlantic or not.

Everyone that I know has told me that Atlantic is a great company to for work for and some people that live here and work at one of the other hospitals are certainly hoping that their discipline gets moved here.

But you know me, always looking for the positives!

trekster3- trekster3-
Jun '16

I had heard this was in the works a little over a year ago, but it doesn't make it any less sad. I delivered my son there in January 2015 and honestly had the best experience.

kkjones25 kkjones25
Jun '16

I delivered both of my children in Newton by choice because my Doctor had rights in Newton. Both experiences were very positive. I later had surgery in Newton, again a very positive experience. I like Newton better than Hackettstown for in-patient.

The one scary experience I had was driving to Newton for a regular prenatal checkup in January. The roads were very icy and I had to turn back and reschedule. With that said, I'm sure in any emergency Hackettstown would still help someone who couldn't drive to Newton.

Atlantic Health added a wing for joint replacement in Hacketttstown. Its a good thing. At least there are no plans to let space sit empty.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '16

Risa they are saying August 1st

My 2010 birth was a good experience. My 2013 not so much. Staff was cut in 1/2 and the ward wasn't as big , and there were bad nurses and good nurses where I found myself waiting for the 7am shift change. I could not wait to go home after my 2nd which was literally 2 minutes down the road.

The women i know either have had their babies at hackettstown or morristown. I chose hackettstown due to the convenience of proximity and I never heard anything negative about past experiences. So I am sad for this reason overall. I can see more ambulances being called for l&d or csections being scheduled.

Lynn- thanks I'm due the 5th. Not sure what I want to do. Never heard good things about Newton.

Risa
Jun '16

All three of my children were born at hackettstown. I wouldn't go to Newton since Saint Clares is just as easy to get to and they have NICU (not full one like Morristown). If I have to drive a distance to a hospital, Newton would NOT be the one I pick.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jun '16

Risa - I'm also due at the beginning of August and just found out about this last week. (Not such a great surprise for a lady who's 8 months pregnant!) I'm either hoping for an early baby so I can deliver at Hackettstown or thinking about just showing up at Morristown when I'm in labor. I haven't heard great things about Newton either. And it's definitely a lot farther for me than either Htown or Motown.

I tried switching OBs to someone who delivers at Morristown but nobody's taking any new patients due in August. Just wish I had more of a heads up.

Lola123
Jun '16

Thanks Lola123.....I'm not happy my doctors office said there is no date yet. I'm not happy at all. I would have switched earlier. I'm going to call places on Monday.

Risa
Jun '16

I had my first at newton and my last 3 at hackettstown. I would never have gone back to newton for delivery. With my last one in 2014 the staff was incredible. Best experience. If I were to get pregnant again I would take the drive to denville. Stinks. The only thing htown was worth going to for was the maternity ward or a bandaid.

To Bad, only safe or decent dept.in hospital. ..but i understand why..no more freebiesl..shame though great staff and excellent care!! Beautiful facility! But all the charity care killed it..just cant afford to birth babies for free for a large population forever!

Browning
Jun '16

I guess a lot of babies will be born in ambulances, emergency rooms and on the side of the road.

just sayin3
Jun '16

It is a sad thing for all the nurses and techs in OB. Atlantic is trying to find places for them. There might be other jobs in the other hospitals that they run, but may not be in an OB Dept. So it is up to each nurse to take what job they want and what s best for them. I think Atlantic is offering unemployment and packages. Also the maternity unit at HMC is at a lower level then Newton and Morristown. If something goes wrong durning birth to the mom or baby, HMC does not have the immediate speciality medical care that would be needed. So it's best that's they close.

My daughter had her second son born at HMC. She was so unsatisfied with the food after the delivery (and she even got sick from it) that I had to cook and bring in my own healthy food. Good riddance.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Yea, if women has to be driven 1 hour to hospital while in labor, then "something will go wrong during birth to the mom or baby" more often then if medical care was close to home. It actually might be really good for the hospital finances - more complications not connected to medical procedures but due to delayed professional help will not produce legal liabilities and will result in more expensive special procedures/surgeries and bring additional income. Please don't tell me that drive from Hackettstown center to Newton or Morristown hospitals is less than 1 hour, it's not, especially during rain or snow or at night or during morning/evening traffic.

This just means more elective c-sections which we all know is what makes the $ and is more convenient for OB's which are trained surgeons first and foremost. The vaginal deliveries are usually done by midwives who are trained in nothing but normal deliveries. Morristown has the highest rate of c-sections in the nation . Take it from me now that it's been 20 years since my first c-section I have pain in my back you would not believe from that spinal block needed for this surgery. It's a direct result of that operation I was made to undergo. Don't do it ladies! Don't let them talk you into doing a csection.

Htown Mama Htown Mama
Jun '16

DJBb.... I actually work there. I just wanted to clear up regarding emergency care on our unit We most certainly do have the experience and resources available to save both a mom and baby in the case of an emergency and we do an excellent job in doing so. What we do not have is the ability of long term care for an infant that may need extensive ongoing care. In this case the infant would be transferred to Morristown. Newton would transfer to Morristown in that case as well. I hate seeing comments like this without knowimg the fact. As with any unit in any hospital, people have had good experiences and bad experiences. We just simply aren't financially beneficial to the hospital.

Danny C- your statement is beyond ridicolous. I guess a great maternity unit should close based on the fact that your daughter did not like the food. Most hospital food is not good.

WTH - Agree that many might consider bad hospital food, even what causes viral infections, as confirmed by an independent team of doctors, just when the mother is ready to start nursing her baby, is a ridiculous statement.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

When I worked at HCH, babies that needed more support went to MMH via an ambulance and docs on board. Now that MMH owns them, guess the babies life is not "financially beneficial".

The food comment is crazy. Even if you don`t know the area, look across the street, a lovely little deli. It`s not like there are no places to sT that deliver.

Geekdad Geekdad
Jun '16

Did this lovely little deli have to sneak in their food as I did, before finally pulling my daughter out of HMC, where she and her son quickly got healthy, under the care of competent physicians?

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Wow....

positive positive
Jun '16

Ladies who have never given birth, you truly don't want a drive to the hospital that lasts more than one strong contraction. Really you don't :) Newton and Morristown are more than one contraction away.

maja2 maja2
Jun '16

Waiting for this to be obamas fault:/

I was part of the bucket brigade that helped to raise funds for the original Hackettstown Hospital with the thought in mind that finally we would have a local hospital equipped with a good maternity ward to have our babies. I had both of my children in St. Clare's Hospital in Denville because we had no hospital close by back then. To me, and to my children and their grandchildren who still live in the Hackettstown area and who are thinking of having a family now...this is indeed very sad news..

Joyful Joyful
Jun '16

So Hackettstowners-make your voices heard! It may be a done deal but letters to editors, calls to the local radio station, messages to Atlantic Health's CEO Brian Gragnolati and Joe Dipaolo, even calls to the govenor's office telling them how much the obstetrics service means to our area would mean a lot to the staff.

CatherineAnn CatherineAnn
Jun '16

I went to Morristown for both of my births and I live farther than Hackettstown. It was fine!

Had both my boys at Hackettstown and loved the nurses and staff on the ward. Had to have an emergency C-section with first and the nurses were so great and right on the ball. Saved both of us! My second was easy scheduled C and again the staff was fantastic. Never had to sneak food in and my husband and I would actually bought the working staff dinner a couple times since he was already bringing me something. It's not the maternity fault if the food stinks. So sad that this wonderful section of the hospital is closing and these excellent nurses are out of jobs.

Benn4 Benn4
Jun '16

I apologize to all you prospective moms who are in the Hackettstown area and will not have good quality local maternity services from now on. My first daughter's horrible experience was over seven years ago, ancient history. My second daughter is due in January, but she lives in Chester, and will be going elsewhere. Good luck to all the courageous moms.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

MB ...agree with you I had my kids in Morristown no a big deal. Obviously since the Hackettstown hospital birth's are down women are going out of town for maternity/delivery already.

outsider outsider
Jun '16

I had two kids born out of Hackettstown. 2009 and 2012. I don't know what happened in that timeframe. In 2009 - they were super nice and sensitive to my needs and helped me with no question. In 2012 - they acted terribly towards me and if I dare asked them for help they rolled their eyes at me and I heard them complain to others how these "women giving birth are a pain in the ass" well you know what - good riddance! They deserve what they get. I gladly drive to Morristown in traffic verses 10 minutes to Hackettstown!

I live right by the hospital and drove out to Morristown for both births. If you have a high risk pregnancy, you CANNOT deliver in Hackettstown. I didn't have high risk, but anything can happen at any time. Why take the chance? God forbid there's a problem with the baby, they get helicoptered away and the mom is stuck there. No way was that going to happen to me!

MotownHtown
Jun '16

Charity Care and minimal insurance reimbursements are partially to blame for the closing as well.

I'm sorry to hear it closing. I had a good experience when I was there. I am greatfil it was so close. I went into labor when there was a major storm with flooding. I know someone else who went into labor that same weekend and the horrible trip to one of the other hospitals worring they wouldn't make it in time. It's an individual decission what hospital a person thinks will be best for their situation. It's a shame there will be one less option for women to choose.

gm mom
Jul '16

Was told August 15 today at doctors appointment.

Mom to be Mom to be
Aug '16

I had my daughter in jackets town 3 years ago. I loved the staff. I had a great experience but there was no nicu, baby nursery. They went to morristown. This was a disadvantage but those nurses took my colicky daughter when I needed sleep. I loved loved loved them for doing that for me so I could sleep. I had c section with Dr forrester/ maguieri s practice and they were phenomenal. They moved out however. Dr maguieri is back with st clare's and I had used him a few months ago for my second child. I couldn't have been happier. The pediatrician at hackettstown is closing also. Dr guerra is back in randolph. It's just so sad because they were phenomenal doctors :#

Jessica C Jessica C
Aug '16

Atlantic Health also just announced that they are closing the urgent care facility over on Rt46 across from Target. Now you will have to go the the ER at Hackettstown Hospital and pay more money. I was hoping that having Atlantic Health take over would lead to an even better hospital, but I'm waiting to see the positives.

John D John D
Aug '16

I heard the ER physicians are up on arms over the maternity ward. When a woman comes in and is in active labor they legally cannot transfer her. This means there has to be someone to deliver the baby. ER Dr.'s feel that this would not be a good thing. I agree. Since now they only have 1 Dr. in ER now.

Not a good move!

Christine Christine
Aug '16

Christine, Not true. Atlantic Ambulance has a unit readily available to respond when a woman comes in in labor and transports them to Morristown.
The old ER doctors are upset and some are leaving.

Not only is OB gone but a friend of mine had a simple fracture and was told they didn't have orthopedics so they were transferred to Morristown for a simple fracture.

So much for services staying the same.

ConcernedinHTN
Aug '16

Better brush up on those L&D skills, especially since you don't have the nurses for that anymore. Jason Coe, you sold out.....

Geekdad Geekdad
Aug '16

Geekdad, I don't think Jason Coe had anything to do with it. It all came from corporate in Morristown. I also feel that it won't be long before it's no longer a hospital as we know it. It will be an emergency care/out patient facility.

Dadof3
Aug '16

Christine,

You are one of the first person's to call out someone with "gossip" if indeed it hasn't yet been proven as a fact. Yet, you are now doing the same. Make up your mind. Gossip or Facts? Pick one. Can't have it both ways.

Talking BS
Aug '16

Talking BS, your name fits you so well. I never said rumor. As you can read concerned claimed the same. Though not sure his orthopedic statement is true. I was just there for an ortho problem. They had a list of names from their that work and do surgeries on HMC.

Dad3 I agree things def are changing and not for the good

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

ConcernedinHTN-Hackettstown still has an orthopedic group at the hospital. The issue may have been with call, since there is only 1 group at the moment. They will continue to practice at Hackettstown.

The Urgent Care is becoming a family practice, or something of that nature.

Terry P
Aug '16

There are rumors that eventually AHS will close HMC. This is terrible for the community and employees. I do hope it is a rumor. I like HMC so much better then NMC and we need these services!

Lisa1 Lisa1
Sep '16

http://www.njherald.com/20160823/newton-atlantic-health-reach-deal-on-monetary-contribution

Other then buying the hospital and the slow transfer of sevices, is our town working on anything like this with Atlantic?

They also cut down the emergency unit, only one doc on duty. Used have 2 from 11-11. On another thread, they are closing the urgent care. This is how they are helping the community. Oh, and I guess the CA center is changing.

Geekdad Geekdad
Sep '16

Can't imagine they bought to close it fown bit sure is sounding like less than a Hospital.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '16

Morristown sued AHC because they are for profit and won! So is Hackettstown going to do the same? Newton decided to make a deal. You think they would make more with taxes.

AHC is buying up hospitals, physician offices, and buildings in which they make profits from. It should be paying taxes!

iChristine iChristine
Sep '16

Even though I am beyond the "baby years", it bothers me that NEITHER of the two hospitals in Warren County deliver babies anymore. Just sad that we have to rely on other counties for this.

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Sep '16

Yes it is... not just maternity will close if the community does not come together to fight for HMC to acquire new services and support the old ones. AHS will look closely at cost and profits. Cancer center, Rehab, Cardiac, Bed numbers, and sSaffing is probable to change! Scary for community and employees. I have heard rumor that they only need 6 months to keep it a hospital.I hope that this is not true.

Lisa1 Lisa1
Sep '16

I delivered naturally with midwives in Morristown and had a 40 minute drive and survived. Maybe this will push for a birth center in town.

Dolce_Vita Dolce_Vita
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.