2016 Summer Flower Pictures

2016 Summer Flower Pictures

It's after the holiday, I declare it Summer. Even if June isn't technically until tomorrow. ;-)

Lots of summer flowers are already out, and only going to get more of them. The very first coresopsis came out today but pictures will be later when they're all open.

First up, pincushion flower. Got a bit eaten by deer previously, but left untouched this year. Big thanks to 'magpie' for this one!!

Re: 2016 Summer Flower Pictures

I have two different salvia colors. This is the first one that's already blooming. The other is probably a week away.

Crane's Bill geranium.

Amsonia. (bluestar)

Gave some of these away at the exchange last year.

Delphinium

LVRes LVRes
May '16

Cotoneaster - good for my birdie friends...

LVRes LVRes
May '16

A beautiful, fragrant peony blooming by Joyful's fence.

jennymc jennymc
May '16

Thanks for posting the picture of my peonies, Jennymc....Thanks to you my flower gardens and yard look just beautiful this year.

Joyful Joyful
Jun '16

I knew this penstemon was only a day away. So now it's officially June, and here it is.

The first of four different kinds of coreopsis already opened but aren't enough flowers to be a full bush yet. Here's the single flower though.

I know a bunch of things are all close, I saw a neighbor's daisy starting to open, and another neighbor has the first of the day lilies. My own fox glove is surprisingly ready. But of all things the most surprising was seeing 4 maltese cross open. I used to have this plant 20 years ago where I used to live. It's easy to grow and I finally tracked down Well Sweep who had some and planted it last year. Too small and immature to do much last year. Sure, it was growing nicely this year but it didn't look any where near blooming yesterday. But sure enough, go outside in the morning and there it is.

One of my peony blossoms.... there's a TON of buds... like 800+

Snapped a picture before the deer/rabbits get it

Eric The Red, part of the clump

Really pretty, MG!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '16

Anyone know where I can get Bamboo? I know that it spreads but I want to try it in some very large pots.

Nosila Nosila
Jun '16

Nosila - Well Sweep sells supposedly non-invasive types. But I don't know that I would want to try that. There are lots of great plants to grow in a container, even just a large ornamental grass would be better.

I do also know a particular house locally that shows just what a bad idea invasive bamboo in the wild is. I'll PM you about that.

Hey, who's been eating the spiderwort? Stupid slugs...

well slugs love a little catfood can of beer - but the disposal is a bit gross........

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

great to meet fellow HLers --- see a beautiful garden -- eat too many sweets -- and bring home some new plants --- Thanks to all involved ---and please think good thoughts for my plants...............

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Flower of the day is fox glove.

A fire cracker red day lily bloomed as well today. But it was not in an easy place for a picture. Will get the next one that comes out. Blanket flower is right about ready.

Can't believe deer decimated the cranes bill geranium. Literally left a single flower. And then bugs started eating that. Butterfly weed has started but will make a better picture when a good portion of it's open. Clematis is now all over the place and buds turning color. Will most likely be all open by the weekend. Cone flowers are showing signs of petals. A neighbor's lavender is blooming, mine is doubtful it survived the winter.

It's all coming along fast and furious now.

Today is that day - firecracker red day lily with two flowers side by side.

Clematis that was promised definitely bloomed over the weekend. This goes on all summer, not one of the quick late spring ones with huge flowers. It's all over a huge holly bush that's its best friend. Small flowers, looks like tulips at first. Then it opens all the way before the flower fades. It's called Duchess of Albany.

Blooms all summer ---- can I make a reservation for next year??

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Finally, finally, finally got the Blanket Flower to last more than one year. Had to mercilessly dead head it at the slightest sign of the petals wilting. Lost one of these that was a different color ('oranges & lemons') but have two that wintered over.

Looked all over like crazy to find either "Fanfare" or "Reveille" blanket flower but no luck. Past year photos of those came out fantastic. Maybe next year.

4catmom - No reservations necessary. ;-) Besides, what's wrong with this summer.

Can't believe this heliopsis is already beginning. These aren't supposed to be open for another month. Then again after yesterday's heat and the start to today, maybe I should just give in.

Heirloom rose Hansa, just a few branches didn't dry out during last winter. Absolutely heavenly smelling.

One of my iris - It's sad they don't go ALL summer!

I don't remember what these are called BUT they do well!

Last year I felt like I was preparing salads for deer all summer long. All that watering and fertilizing to end up with stalks!

Schmedley Wilcox Schmedley Wilcox
Jun '16

MG -- are those canterbury bells?

happiest girl
Jun '16

Lena - Nice to see.

MG - If anyone can keep irises going all the time, it would seem to be you. That's really quite a collection. The picture is penstemon or "beardtongue".

I posted mine here: http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/746897#t747011
But mine is a variety called "husker red" which is the color of the leaves. That makes it look so different from yours even though it's clearly the same plant. Do you have a lot of that? I don't know if you're the one that got the one plant of my type that I gave away. But if not, and you have one of yours you could part with, then I'd be very happy to have another penstemon that isn't the color I already have. It's a good plant, just I've gotten enough of them that I'd like to swap colors. I actually bought a red one called "elfin pink" at Well Sweep just after the plant exchange.

GC - beardtongue! Yes I knew it was something with tongue, and sure we can swap! Just send me an email we'll figure it out!

Here's what "Elfin Pink" looks like. Red to me. On the other hand it's only 18" tall so the "elf" part they got right. ;-)

OK, so on closer inspection the tag on the red penstemon says Red Riding Hood like I originally thought. (even if their catalog has something different) So it really is red.

I'm seeing red hot poker out there, but they all seem to be stunted. Shorter than usual spikes and not as much color as usual. Anyone else seeing that?

In the mean time, this sweet spire bush sure isn't stunted. It's completely open and large enough now to have to cut it back some.

Taken in Liberty on Pequest Road.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jun '16

This is Gusto not open all of the way but it's on of my favorites right now!

The stupid deer have found my garden and had quite a snack, so annoyed!

Somebody is munching on my bee balm!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? Thanks!

Amateur Amateur
Jun '16

Whole leaves gone, holes in the leaves, or whole stalks gone?

I'm glad to say the rose campion that was moved last year is now at least doing OK. It sure looked like it suffered by both moving and a deer trying it and then rejecting it. (fuzzy leaves probably saved it) So not at least it's blooming even if not quite as well as last year.

GC - it's the stalks. I have 3 plants, one flower bloomed....the stalks from the rest are all nibbled down. I thought they were deer resistant (although I know that isn't always the rule of thumb). We do have a pesky groundhog...

Amateur Amateur
Jun '16

Amateur - I was going to say groundhog before you even brought up the subject. My mom has had one of those in PA and they will definitely go after a lot of plants, including the bee balm. That's the most likely culprit. For control, one method is just to pee around the area. There are a few products similar to Deer Out, not sure if they are all that helpful, ground hogs seem pretty darn 'pesky' as you said. More drastic measures are to havaheart it and move it.

I want to show my cacti it only blooms in summer. A very pretty flower.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '16

Side view.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '16

it's beautiful

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Spectacular. Does it have a scent, too??

Thanks GC, I must admit I did LOL w/ "one method is just to pee around the area." My son would think that's awesome :). That groundhog has been my husbands nemesis for years. I will try your ideas!!!

Amateur Amateur
Jun '16

Ameteur - My daughter and son-in-law have a Welch shepherd, very gentle with their kids, but voracious with groundhogs, with quick and humane killings.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

I work at a florist shop that grows all the flowers seen in this arrangement!

I don't need no silly peeing on flower beds, or no silly dog - I got the neighbors indoor/outdoor cat that takes care of it. Not that he would chase a groundhog away, just try to play with it and annoy the complete total living CRAP out of it. ;-) Hmmmm.

So on to the pictures - you sure know it's summer for real when it's attack of the Killer Bee Balm. ;-)

In PA they're taking over just about everything.

That's beautiful, GC. What's the orange next to it?

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Tracy - It's a banner year for butterfly weed, that's what the orange is. I have three of those plants right now, plus I have the "swamp butterfly weed" which is the same in pink and white. It's not booming yet.

But here's it is by itself.

Is it Easter yet?? ;-)

Those lilies you get aren't just for green houses and making them bloom early. If you plant them outside and let them go on their own, this is what you get. And when. At least as long as the deer cooperate. I've had the worst problem having them munched, but this year is that rare lucky one.

With the red of the bee balm now joining the yellow of the heliopsis and some daisies just opening, the garden is starting to be in full swing.

Cupid's dart is another thing the deer will sometimes nibble. But not this year. ;-)

Love it gc that's a very pretty little flower. I have about 4 Easter lilies getting ready to bloom, I check everyday to see if the deer have had their daily snack. So far so good. The deer got all my impatience the other day, that's a first. Those buggers are very brave this year. In my yard during the middle of the day, I can get as close as two feet from them, they don't care. Look at me and continue to snack.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '16

Impatiens are a bit succulent, I've had deer get those fairly often.

Balloon flower is now just starting. Deer have often nibbled the tops of these but haven't touched them at all this time around. Even if they do have a snack, the balloon flower just tries again and blooms later. At least it's one of the things that still gets a flower. If deer nibble the tops of phlox, I don't get any flowers at all even though the plant survives for next year.

If you haven't tried it yet, try spraying a mixture of 6 eggs and 1/4 cup water onto your plants. Do this once a week for three weeks and then every so often. If it rains you will need to put more on. I've been doing this for years as my friend who is in a garden club suggested. As soon as I forget to do this the deer do eat, otherwise they don't touch the stuff.

When they get the bee balm the flowers will still produce, just lower on the stem. They do this to my balloon flowers also. It actually prunes them down as some are 3-4 feet high, and they look much better and fuller when they do bloom.

One of the plants that they still haven't touched is the dutch and bearded iris. I've started planting the reblooming iris for the fall color. Should I get to it in the fall I should have pink bearded spring only iris to give away. I will advertise on here if I do. Thanks for all the pictures from everyone. I do enjoy seeing them and just wish I knew how to post mine. Right now my lilies of several kinds and the Yucca plants are in full bloom and beautiful.

Magpie Magpie
Jul '16

I saw this in Kittatiny park. Does anyone know what flower it is? Thanks .

A good day
Jul '16

a good day - looks like foxglove to me.

Looks like a variety of bellflower.

There are two things that make me say foxglove instead of bellflower. (campanula, although that would be my second guess) One is the speckles inside the flower. The other is the flower that is turned to the side shows it's asymmetric. Bellflowers are usually symmetrical.

In the mean time, the purple cone flower is coming out, but the white cone flower is taking its time.

Thanks. Interesting plant. I didn't know it was poisonous and there is a lot of good info on botanical.com.

A good day
Jul '16

My canna lily is blooming!

A few pictures from the other day....

This pretty little creature visited my window boxes yesterday.

Very nice fritillary, lola. I saw one partaking of my butterfly weed last week. My pink butterfly weed is getting close to opening soon. Looks like MG had one at her purple cone flower.

MG - nice grouping, but be careful of the morning glories. They can take over, and sometimes you can get rid of them in places you really didn't want them to be. One of the cone flowers looks like maybe a modern variant like tiki torch? Another is white cone flower - did you have that before or did you get that from me at the exchange? I know I gave out what I thought was a white one but not 100% sure of the color. I know where the section is that I have "white swan" but there have also been some invaders of black eyed susan and regular purple right next to it. So I wasn't positive it would turn out to be the white version.

Asters are out but haven't gotten a good picture yet because they close up in the morning and I don't think to get the camera later in the day.

Liatris is just showing signs of color, should be open by the weekend. The butterfly bush is going to bloom soon. I know I've seen others out there that are already open, but mine is white and a bit slower to grow. Other than the phlox and the fall mums, that will make everything blooming. It's only just a couple of days after the 4th, but it's already peak garden time. ;-)

This is the blush campion I started this year. Seems to do just about the same as rose campion. Interesting leaves and flowers that really stick out.

GC - Nope not the cone from you... I think the ones you pulled may be pink. I have it planted in the back. I'm actually not sure where the white one came from its I the front with all my pink ones... although I'm not seeing my green one yet and hoping I haven't lost that one with ALL of the pink that have taken over!
This morning glory won't take over... this is an English morning glory bush..doesn't get too big.

MG - If what you got isn't white, then it will be the same color as my picture. The leaves do look pink when first growing, but by the time they are done they're purple. Green cone flower might be that virus they can sometimes get. Be careful.

GC - the coneflower flower I'm pretty sure is pink, probably the same the ones I have in the front.... the green cone was bought about 7 years ago as a green cone.. Emerald or something like that..

MG - This is what my white cone flower looks like. "White Swan"

Lucky day when not only one double orange kwanso day lily come out, but three were out among the bee balm, including this pair.

A little rain also finally started the opening of the liatris. That's going to look even nicer as it fully opens.

GC - the one from you is pink as pink can be.

Here are some I've got...started from 2 plants about 7 years ago....and I've taken some out too....

I am so envious of all these beautiful flowers. Too many deer for me to even have hanging plants. I have generations of deer living on our lot, we are beginning to name them. I swear if I left the front door opened, I would find them at the dinner table. But seriously, thanks for posting the pics - maybe in my next house.

justwondering justwondering
Jul '16

justwondering - In my experience the deer are way too polite to just walk in. They'd knock and then walk in. Several in my area have come to the door and inquired if I have any "Grey Poupon"???

Deer sure did a number on cbel's garden at the library the first year. They really munch every tulip we planted. Then another year not as much. I know they can really do a number on things, but even if you can't grow everything, you can usually find a couple of things they won't touch. Go with less variety and do the Deer Out regularly and you should at least be able to grow a small garden.

Finally got around to a time of day that the asters (stoksia - 'Stoke's Aster') were opened up.

Phlox are here.

My Tiger Lilies are blooming. It's a first year they were not damaged by deer at all. The stalks are are at least 5 feet tall.

The flower of Tiger Lily

Love the Tiger Lilys..Lena!

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Those lilies look fantastic. I sure wish the deer by me would leave them alone so I could grow some. I've tried several times and always completely munched before they bloomed.

I'm glad just to have a few kinds of more ordinary day lilies instead. This one is the last one of mine to start blooming.

Thank you GC and Joyful! This is a picture of my last blooming daylily - Royal Fire, it also blooms profusely. Probably it's a compensation for my complete failure in growing cucumbers and squashes this year. All young seedlings were eaten by some nasty creatures and whatever seeds I have started recently were dug up and eaten.

My biggest pests are deer which at least are a known quantity. I hate to think if our neighborhood was prone to ground hogs or skunks. They're generally your diggers and the most likely culprits. My mom in PA has a small stream behind the townhouse with a small separate area across the stream. Perfect for a ground hog and totally devastated multiple gardens one year.

Deer or not, these hostas have grown up nicely. Others in the neighborhood that are totally exposed have not fared so well. Some still survive, but I've tried to tuck mine away in a corner of the garden. Was forced to do the same with the hydrangea that just kept getting eaten. They will take a couple of years to get to the point of flowering, but at least they seem unmunched. At least by deer, they still get some Japanese beetle activity.

GC, are those flowers, purple? Beautiful.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Tracy - yes they are, got them at one of the first plant exchanges.

Thinking of doing this into a poster

John C John C
Jul '16

Finally one the darn deer missed!!!

WOW we have some impressive gardeners here on HL! Thank you for sharing!

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '16

Danny - we're waiting to see the pictures of your garden that your daughter took- looking forward to them

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom - As posted elsewhere, I have no flowers blooming any more this season, until the fall when I plan to put in some mums. Just a lot of herbs, which are not that pretty, unless you are hungry and like to cook.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

I thought you were moving in the fall....and just recently you said your daughter was coming with a good camera to do pix.......disappointed not to see the pix

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom - My daughter just entered her second trimester of pregnancy and she had a doctor appointment when she intended to try to get pictures of hummingbirds, not flowers. Look elsewhere for pictures. And my real estate endeavors are none of your business.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

A tad bit rude Danny C? Don't think 4catmom deserved all that.

John C John C
Jul '16

Danny, you must be excited for your daughter and the soon new family member - I hope that all are well - congratulations! It's really tough to catch the hummingbirds - have tried myself, but only seem to get a pic as they zoom away! Perhaps your daughter is better than that! This thread is LOADED with some beautiful flowers and I really enjoy looking at them, so if you do have pics - of birds or blooms - share if you want. Not sure about the "real estate endeavors" but, of course, what you share is entirely up to you - including your attitude. Hope your day is wonderful.

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '16

Danny - when I (or others) ask a question, it is a direct response to something you have posted in the past. I take you at your word and then might want to hear or see the follow up. I wouldn't have asked about your move if you hadn't posted that you were moving in the fall............If you hadn't posted that your daughter was coming to take pictures since your phone wasn't good at photos, I wouldn't have asked to see them. If you hadn't said you were diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, we wouldn't wonder how you are doing.
The questions are in response to your postings here.

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom - Not posting on this forum again. Nothing but trouble and harassment from people like you has resulted. Sticking with my family and my true friends. Forget any previous posts (including my apparently beating cancer) and get off my back.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Dear 4catmom - I hope you enjoy this collage of miscellaneous flowers around my yard - The Rose of Sharon are just lovely this year. Take care.

jennymc jennymc
Jul '16

Flower bed with daylilies Royal Fire

beautiful, jennymc - just beautiful

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

I agree jenymc, great Rose of Sharon this year. Other years the buds have fallen off before opening up. I've seen really good bushes all over town.

Your pic seems to show it's a good year for phlox as well. A couple of times I've had that practically shrivel up and lose the flowers almost instantly. This year it's early but very healthy.

Great variety there. Question - middle row, second picture. Is that clustered bell flower?? I've been hoping to grow one of those. Saw it in the catalog at Well Sweep and gave it a try two years ago. Didn't seem to bloom the second year, and now I'm not sure if it even survived the winter. I looked it up last year just to check and it's supposed to winter over quite easily all the way up to the Canadian border. Even the winter two years ago should not have killed it.

I have to figure out how to create a collage - so here's a single from one of my deck boxes

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

15 Hours ago
Only on HL can a thread titled: 2016 Summer Flower Pictures, turn into a controversy lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '16

ah - thanks jennymc - I found a neat app and tried doing a collage -

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

Nicely done @4catmom! All of the pictures are beautiful - my garden needs more flowers for sure.

Yes Clyde and it only takes one..a fraudulent deceptive type....

positive positive
Jul '16

Hi GC - That flower is called a Penta - it's an annual but it blooms all summer as long as you dead head it - I thought it was interesting with the star shaped flowers -
4catmom, great job with the college - love your pictures and critters and flowers.

jennymc jennymc
Jul '16

My white lilies are stunning and their scent heavenly! Can't remember the name, anybody know?

Iris looks like an asiatic...

lena - Very nice. I have a similar day lily called "fire cracker red" which was from about 20 years back. I believe it's the ancestor to that one and some others of the same color. I've seen that driving around town, maybe the house I'm thinking of is you.

4cat - Great collage. And you really nailed the one with the humming bird moth in flight while drinking from the flower.

jennymc - Got it. I don't grow a lot of annuals so I'm not familiar with many of them. That's definitely a winner.

iris - isn't that called a "Madonna" lily?

Jennymc and 4catmom: Your flower collages are just beautiful...I love to see everyones plants and flowers. Great thread!

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Love the flower pictures, jennymc. The Rose of Sharon is the top right, correct?

Lena, love those day lilies. Just beautiful, vibrant colors.

Very nice, 4catmom.

I need to get busy in my garden. I hope the heat breaks soon so I can stand to be outside. The only thing I have in abundance is basil and the smushed gourds from last year are turning into a new monster plant.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Tracy - Yes, top right as well as the first picture in the middle row is a single Rose of Sharon bloom.

I had to trim mine back today. Yesterday the lawn guy had to fight with it and was cursing it out as it blocked his way to cutting behind my shed.

I have all of mine thanks to several plant exchanges, particularly from jeninnj and jennymc. This is purple, the other I have is mostly white.

GC, I have a piece from a previous plant exchange as well, but it's over at our rental property.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

They're very prolific at creating new small seedlings. So many you have to pull the small ones out regularly. It would be easy for any of us with them to give you some decent sized plants if you want them.

Not a flower... BUT... anyone else have this happening? Crazy amounts of honey bees on their hummingbird feeders??

Had that 2 years ago.....had to get an exterminator to clear the huge nest they made under the siding

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom -- guess I'll have to see where they're coming and going from...

MG. last year I bought jars that had a bee attractant. Didn't make a huge difference. No problem this year though

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

4catmom - I don't want to kill them... we have enough insects disappearing that we need on our planet... honeybees being a major one... I'll keep an eye see what happens...

Can anyone identify this tree/shrub? I saw several in Mays Landing the other day. They are about 8 feet high or so. Very pretty.

If they are honey bees, there is a beekeepers group that may be willing to "catch" them and move them

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

Wow Greg that is beautiful! I have no idea what is though.

Love seeing all the pictures!!

Sunshine Sunshine
Jul '16

I think that shrub/tree may be Crape Mrytle.

Jul '16

Looks like a hydrandra tree

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

Hydrangea trees are generally one single trunk. The flowers would be very different from a crape myrtle. However crape myrtle has multiple thin, light colored trunks. The leave pattern at the top also suggests myrtle. A closer look at the flowers would identify it for sure, but from what I see I think justwondering is right. Very likely crape myrtle.

Crape Myrtle is planted along 95 in the southern states and at the rest areas. I remember loving them from my first car trip down to Florida.

Jul '16

yup Crepe Myrtle---lovely down south --

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

One of my Luna Hibiscus

MG, my parents had the same hibiscus at their house when I was growing up and we always called them my birthday flowers because they would bloom around my birthday (next week).

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Jul '16

Tracys - very cool..we have a dark pink/red as well! Happy early Birthday

Tracy - My grandmother's favorite flowers were always gladiolus for the same reason. Her birthday was Aug 14. You're just starting to see the green house grown glads appearing in the stores.

MG - Do you have that planted, or in a pot you can take in? I always thought the rose of sharon was one of the few hibiscus relatives that was adapted to winter over. But a quick check on your variety actually says it would survive around here.

Please no one track me down out of jealousy and hurt me when I say this - during my time in the South Pacific, hibiscus were in bloom 365 days a year. And you couldn't possibly count all the different color variations. Reds, and yellows, and purples, and oranges, and blues, and whites, and reds with yellow centers, and yellow with red centers, and double flowers, and ones that never even open, and more. One day on my morning walk to school I tried to count all the different varieties and stopped at 30. Each and every one you could cut off a branch, stick it in the ground, and in a week you had a new bush. It's an amazingly diverse bush, but it's tropical and all those Pacific plants would die off at the slightest frost.

Meanwhile, it's nice to not have to water everything today. Very much needed rain.

GC-- They're behind the peonies... I have a dark and a light... if I see seeds I'll let you know... I actually need to tie or stake them up

The red

Lots of flowers bring lots of bees so they can pollinate lots of tomatoes.

Tomato man
Aug '16

My sunflower microphone. The stem is so long but I went close up here!

Morning glory. More vines than flowers but I'll take whatever blooms!

Not a flower but pretty! This Luna month was gigantic and was siting on my front door last Saturday. Hining probably that I have to dust better?

Just an FYI...
Customer Appreciation Week!
Monday, 8/22 - Saturday, 8/27 - 9am-5pm

Our customers are what make Well-Sweep Herb Farm successful. To show our thanks, we invite you to visit us during this week and receive a 20% discount on all purchases.

On Saturday, August 27, come and experience our farm with a guided Perennial Garden Tour at 11:00, as well as Herb Garden Tours at 12:00 and 2:00. On this day complimentary herbal refreshments will be served. Free admission and parking.

Thanks MG, that sounds like a great idea, particularly if you want some late blooming plants, of if you've never taken one of their tours.

iRun - Good thing to try to keep that in a container. I've got them that *SOMEONE* not to be named threw seeds around my house. They take down other plants in some areas and it's a real threat to the one clematis I have. And the poor gazebo area is just so overrun that it's strangling some good things.

tomato man - You and MG sure have the collection of cone flower types. The mixture of colors really stands out. They seem to attract birds for me as well when they've got completely to seed, almost like a sunflower.

I have a small butterfly bush that's found its way into the completely wrong spot from one of my neighbors. (three neighbors have so I'm not sure which one it's from) I'm thinking I could give it away if anyone wants.

In the mean time, is it fall yet? The fall clematis has been threatening for some time now. Then all of a sudden on Saturday, it almost all opens up completely. It's nearly taking over my mail box. Here's a pic.

"On this day complimentary herbal refreshments will be served. Free admission and parking"

Free weed?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

No ianimal, they take good care of their garden. It's kept weed free. ;-)

Evergreen Trail....Tranquility

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

GC -- What color is the butterfly bush?? I started a Facebook plant exchange page and someone was looking for one when she came to my house for some seeds

Standard purple, tiny yellow centers. That needs to be gone.

I don't really have to get rid of it, but I might also be able to round up a bit of the white one I have. That's not invasive.

What's the page name? Is it publicly accessible to those without FB? I could see what else I could trade.

My little fenced in area next to the dog yard, I should have taken a photo when the lilies were in bloom, but I just finished moving some things around. My cardinal flowers didn't come in as tall as last year, I'm thinking because of the weather.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Aug '16

dadogmomma - Now there's an area you could really shut out the deer if you had a real problem. If the cardinal flower was one of the things you moved, that could explain it. I tried those once but was unlucky that it was the same year I had the worst problem with chipmunks. The critters ate the roots whole. To balance out the early lilies, you might think about some phlox that's out in force right now. There's a new half height kind that would do well in your space. (about 2 1/2 ft tall, *not* the creeping phlox)

Thanks GC!!!!! Yep, it's entirely fenced in to keep the deer out and the plan is just to have it full of flowers someday! I greatly appreciate the recommendation, I've never had much of a green thumb so I'm learning "what blooms when" and trying to plant so I get some color all summer.

The slugs are attacking big time this year, the little critters don't seem to bother it too much (I'm crediting the neighbors cats), so I bought some of the pellets that are supposed to get rid of them.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Aug '16

dadogmomma - That looks like a nicely contained area so you should definitely be able to fill that space completely. I've had slugs off and on at times, but because I have big flower areas I mostly let them go. They say beer draws them in, but it doesn't really kill them. Because they have to crawl vaseline can really slow them, if you sprinkle salt on it that does seem to be effective of something harmful they can't get away from quickly enough.

Coreopsis would look good there, lots of colors, particularly yellow and about the right height and something that blooms a really long time. Some lavender is also that size and color during the mid summer months.

It looks like the vine is morning glory? Be careful it doesn't take over, it spreads easily through seeds and can be invasive. I personally would think a nice clematis would be a good touch to grow along the fencing.

A few bulbs for spring, a few mums for fall and you should have color the whole year.

GC -- the facebook page is...
Plant buy/sell/swap warren county nj should be able to find it if you search

GC - read previous post wrong...no probably not able to find it if you don't have Facebook.

Found it. Just unfortunately it's a closed page so can't help.

GC - to be accepted into closed FB group, simply send a request to group admin - you should see a link on top right. Doesn't take long to be accepted if you belong to the area.

Thanks again GC! I will check into those and get planting! The vine actually is clematis, it's purple and didn't seem to flower as much this year as last. I planted another one for the trellis in the corner, but goofed up and bought a plant online that is tiny and doesn't even reach up to it yet. Rookie mistake!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Aug '16

dadogmomma - My mistake on the clematis then, it's perfect. They're not generally invasive (although the fall one I posted can be), can produce huge stunning flowers, and will grow all around that fencing. A far better alternative to morning glory that would have a number of issues.

Lena - I know, but I don't have a FB account myself to do that. I can't, because of business reasons. The only FB I have belongs to my cats. It's a bit more complicated than that. ;-)

Toadlily - I feel like they bloom earlier and earlier....

Inside a lilly.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '16

OnTheEdge, just gorgeous!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

OnTheEdge - That looks like a bearded iris from the top.

Meant to say iris, not enough coffee this a.m. obviously.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '16

I had a banner year for hollyhocks! I purchased a packet of "old fashioned hollyhock" seeds and planted them last spring. The are biennial, so the first year I only got giant leaves, but this year they bloomed like crazy. All different beautiful pinks, corals, purples, and magentas. I was able to harvest their seeds so hoping for another beautiful crop in 2018!

Hickory Dog Hickory Dog
Aug '16

another photo of my hollyhocks

Hickory Dog Hickory Dog
Aug '16

one more. :)

Hickory Dog Hickory Dog
Aug '16

GC - Tomorrow is September 1, time to plant chrysanthemums, which hopefully as you said, can be perennial. Where would you recommend for the best plants at the best prices?

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Hi GC - Apart from expert advice of mums, I need to pick your brains on how to care for my climbing rose. It has 8 shoots that have grown 5 feet above a 6 foot fence. It breaks my heart to cut them back to the top of the fence, as some have suggested. Can I twirl them around (there is plenty of slack to make big circles) so maybe there will be more horizontal growth filling in the middle of the fence next year? Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '16

Believe it or not, I get mums at Shoprite. There's usually plenty to select from and they're very thick. Godlewsky's may be local but they're more expensive and generally just about the same everywhere.

As for the roses, CUT THEM. It's what makes them grow wide and not deep. In fact it makes them grow at all - that wouldn't happen otherwise. Pruning is what gives new blooms. If you twirl them around you're going to have ratty ends that won't bloom off of new growth. You've already gotten the best advice so now take it.

But don't cut now, it's probably not quite the best time. Roses should be cut when dormant. Wait until November when real cold hits if they only bloom once, or maybe Feb to March for twice a year bloomers. Just before they start to wake up again.

GC - Thanks for your advice...I'll bite the bullet and cut the rose. My only remaining question is how far down to cut, (8 shoots are 11 feet tall), but I'll research rose cutting and pruning on the web. Going to ShopRite for mums today. Thanks again for your help.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '16

LOVE when they rebloom!!!

So who would have thought - a fresh new crop of snap dragons blooming in mid October.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.