Best Online Prep for SAT/ACT

I'd like my teen to start practicing this summer. Anyone have good experience with an affordable online service (please don't say collegeboard.com) that their child has personally used and it immensely helped.

The SAT has changed so the site should accommodate the differences in the tests, not just hand you old tests.

Have your kid take the test. See how they do. Then, decide if you even need a prep program.

btownguy btownguy
May '16

I worked for years for Kaplan. I know that they have done tremendous work modifying their programs to prepare students for the new test. They also offer proctored practices tests that allow you to get a feel for the conditions AND understand where your strengths and weaknesses are on each aspect of the test.

They also offer sample classes so you can get a sense of what a class would look like. These can be done Live (in person), On Demand (online) and Live Online (you sign in to the class at a specific day time). You can test drive the course to see if it works.

They used to use old official exams as their practice material, but I assume they have received official materials from the College Board to aid in program development (they did this with other tests that changed previously).

DM me if you have any other specific questions - I am typing this from my phone, so may have left out details.

btownguy, now that's logical! You must have done well!!
Seriously though, most online programs are equivalent - some promise to "raise your score by 100 points" then give a first test that is very difficult and a final test that is easier... your child needs to experience the test and the prep is, unfortunately, the norm for most kids - whose scores will be your child's comparison group. As referenced by btownguy, I did have my son take the test and he did quite well - so we stuck to using the prep books at home. Some kids cannot use the online prep effectively, but I am sure that this was considered by the OP.

pmnsk pmnsk
May '16

Never took a prep course of any sort. Still managed to perform extremely well on the SAT or ACT. I didn't need it. Not that people won't see results from these programs, but when it's time for my kids to do this, they'll be taking the test first and then from there we'll talk about if a program is needed.

btownguy btownguy
May '16

None of my friends or myself took prep classes and we are all college graduates with honors (BA, MA, and PhD students) so I'd save the money. The SAT's--much like the GRE's--are a test you just cannot completely study for as there is too much subject matter to cover. Also, many college's are weighing the SAT's much less than they used to because many realized a person is much more than a four hour test score.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
May '16

helpthekitty - oh if only the weighing was less important - that would be wonderful! Unfortunately, the standard scores are often used as an initial "cut off" - so unless you are extraordinary in some academically-observable way, those scores are still used - When a school receives thousands of applications, they have to have some way to handle them. Once you've made the cut, the scores are less of a consideration - because they are already considered. Unlike subject matter tests, you CAN prepare for the SAT- study vocabulary, become accustomed to the manner in which reading comp./grammar/etc. are measured and learn how the math is presented. You can also "brush up" on some of the math that you learned earlier in your high school career.
I am very glad for you and your friends- that you have accomplished so much academically. For the average student, it does make sense to do some preparation, but the full-on review courses are not always needed. Again your comparison group is largely made up of kids who have done some prep.
Btownguy's strategy is right, IMO, - First take the test and find your weaknesses or areas that can be improved upon - then decide what kind of prep would be most helpful.

pmnsk pmnsk
May '16

I wasn't saying that the SAT is gone or worthless, all I am saying is that none of us were outstanding students in high school--average at best, but we passed the test without wasting money for a prep course, went on to be successful in college and after. All I am stating is simply about the test prep and how it made no difference in most of our lives as we were successful without it.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
May '16

Thanks. But my question was not if test prep was needed but a recommendation for online test prep. Other than Kaplan, anything else?

Try this.
http://bfy.tw/5vL6

btownguy btownguy
May '16

That's great helpthekitty, I am happy to hear of your success - and I wish it were that way for everyone. IMO and from my experience with many kids making the transition from high school to college - Kaplan, Princeton, Huntington, all the same really - all have options to choose from depending upon what you think would be of help to your child.

pmnsk pmnsk
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.