HL'ers get togethers

Just curious if the H'town Lifers still get together occasionally for happy hours, meals or fun. If I remember correctly, this was a popular activity a few years ago.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
Apr '16

Hi Slade. Yes, they still get together for breakfast. We haven't have a happy hour in forever. I tried to get a music event going for last weekend, but only had one HL poster come out.

I'm going to try to get some other things going in the near future.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Maybe we could meet for a lunch, like we used to do.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Apr '16

I met a lot of great people at the happy hours. I don't post often but I always did my best to make it to a happy hour :) It has been a long time.

red76nj red76nj
Apr '16

I continue to run the breakfasts which has a steady but small group of great people. The HH have been dormant for a long time, I think because there isn't a person organizing it. I know the lunch meetings have been inactive for that reason - I used to do that too, but can really only realistically run one or the other. From what I've seen I'm guessing the interest is there just needs someone to take ownership.

We had a great group at Christmas time come out for a one time dinner.

In the mean time there is now a group among the Panther Valley residents that is gaining quite a bit of momentum. They're doing well with their events.

Thanks for the compliment, GC! Hope to see you at another event.

Yes, our PV group has been moving along great, we have all been able to meet so many new friends! And are always open to welcoming new friendly faces:)

We always have the lounge - that was fun

skippy skippy
Apr '16

red76nj, Glad you are doing well. Always enjoyed talking with you at the HH. Hope you can make one again, when we have one.

Apr '16

I don't post all that often either, but I'd definitely be interested in meeting folks at the HH.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Apr '16

I'll go to one AFTER the election.

Right now, too many of the folks are too heated about all that stuff.

Won't make much difference who wins, anyway. Trump will get no cooperation from a congress of either party, Hillary won't get any from a GOP congress.

It's all poopadoodle.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Count me out...Too many morons posted during this primary season on this forum, and do not want to meet any of them face-to-face.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

Andy and Danny - Really? Do you really think people are going to bicker about the election at a HH? BTW, the majority of the controversial posters never show their faces. That's how they roll.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Stealing poopadoodle

skippy skippy
Apr '16

Get togethers are great! Had a family get together a few months back. A fun time had by all

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

I always love meeting people who do not agree with me in person, it leads to some good conversations, and usually ends up resulting in a new friend. People are a LOT less "ballsy" in person, and you can actually talk like adults. I think it is very healthy and informative to meet up, love it.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '16

I remember the very first happy hour at the old Charlie Brown's and meeting Calico. That was many moons ago. Miss those days when the forum was a much friendlier place to visit.

John C John C
Apr '16

Oh......... I still have the HL Moose. He's well travelled and enjoying life.

John C John C
Apr '16

John C, rude comments have seemed to become the normal for some people, and nobody meets in person anymore to figure these things out, so they just get worse. So many people just hide behind fake names, and say whatever they want, and are unwilling to meet anyone.

I bet if you had to use your real name the forum would be a different place.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '16

Hi John! I believe the first Happy Hour was back in 2008. Long time for sure! I forgot all about the moose!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

2008 sounds right. Thanks to Chris for starting the whole thing!

John C John C
Apr '16

Didn't Reggie bring "Barwinkle" to the Happy Hour? Those were great times. Reggie was a fun gal.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/96151#t96250

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

OMG, yeah "Barwinkle" the moose. I'd forgotten about him too! I remember meeting some folks many moons ago. I usually couldn't make them due to timing, since they were often on the Thursday I had to go to Ledgewood for allergy shots.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '16

ianimal how do you post a link to a specific post?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '16

Yes, Reggie was the original keeper of Barwinkle! AFAIK, Reggie is living in upstate NY.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Darrin, every post has a hyperlink with the time since it was posted. If you click on it, it generates a URL in the address bar. If you copy and paste that URL into a new post, it will direct people to that specific post when they click on it.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

Oh sweet, I did not know that, thank you! learned something new!

Darrin Darrin
Apr '16

The meeting of the troups at Charlie Brown's during the parade was the only time I ever met Reggie. It was also the first time I met CBGBpzvPB&J. Clyde Potts was in the crowd and did the "H-town pub crawl" of all of two places. ;-)

There is a history of the lunches that cbel asked for. They started post-C'mere Cupcake meeting.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/374715#t375244

Had to laugh at Barwinkle the moose reference. Glad it's safe with John C. When I lived in H'town, I never attended any of the HL events, but always thought they were such a great idea. I think some close friendships formed from meeting face to face. I am amazed at how many of the names I remember from back in the day.....also I can think of a few that were regulars back then, but are missing now.

I'm stealing poopadoodle too.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
Apr '16

Barwinkle is enjoying his kitten buddies. Glad he is happy and healthy. Thanks John C.

Apr '16

Re: HL'ers get togethers

Barwinkle even had a guest spot on Ghosthunters. He was sitting on the dashboard of Grant and Jason's Van when we investigated Shippen Manor. So he's famous and well traveled. :)

John C John C
Apr '16

Thanks for posting that old thread GC of January 2012 in which we all mentioned people that post on HL that we would like to meet. Out of the list I posted back then I have only met three out of the 13 that I requested to meet in person someday. However, since then I not only have met but grown to consider special friends many, many more posters on HL. Some are now like family...Thanks, Hackettstown Life for making that possible!!!!!

joyful joyful
Apr '16

Thank you for the link, GC. I think any question asked about the history of HL could be answered by you or Calico.

The list got me thinking about people I haven't seen posting in the month I've been back on HL - not that I've read every topic and post.There are so many HL names I recognized from the past. I believe a couple have passed away (cbel and Gordy), but does anyone know if the people listed are still in the area or have moved on? They were all very active members of HL.

abbadabbadoo
Mike Guida
Brown Eyes Guy
Bryan
Hopeful in H-town
Firefly
happy2bhere
mrgoogle
cagedanimal
Mommy of 3
darlughh
Brother Dog
oldman
CBGB
Lori...since '73
INeedMoreCowBell

Many of these folks were very prolific posters and some were very knowledgeable and entertaining. Just curious.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
Apr '16

AND Rebekah....she had the funniest stories about her dogs

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
Apr '16

Slade - A few just post less frequently, a few moved away. I'll update you privately if you want. Of the ones that have mentioned it publicly, Bryan moved down south but still gives us updates on the weather threads. Mommy of 3 moved down south as well but recently posted she's moving back.

Mommy of 3 is back in NJ, just not in H'town.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Mike Guida is still here, he just doesn't post to often. He actually just posted a thread the other day asking for transmission repair recommendations.

jrsemom jrsemom
May '16

I met so many wonderful people thru HL. I count many of them as close friends. I don't post too often any longer or even pop in to lurk much but I am very grateful to Chris for starting this.

firefly firefly
May '16

Firefly...you were so active on the forum a few years ago. Hope all is well with you.

jrsemom...happy to see you and Mike still posting. The transmission repair thread didn't really float my boat so I skipped over it and missed noticing Mike's name.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.