2016 NFL Off Season

Stuff happening already.

LeSean McCoy is suspected of assaulting two off-duty police officers early this morning.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/2/8/10937360/lesean-mccoy-philadelphia-police-officers-eagles-bills-running-back-arrest

Riley Cooper has been released by the Eagles. Thank goodness!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/02/08/riley-cooper-released-eagles/

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

I think It's kind of funny that there were no responses from this post, I wonder if others are like me and consider football "over" after the Superbowl. On a more exciting note, especially to me, 10 days to pitchers and catchers reporting.

Since my grandson is a season ticket holder of the Browns. I am waiting to see what they do with Johnny Football. It supposed to be announced tomorrow.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '16

Johnny Football needs professional help, people who know what addiction is all about. He needs to be away from football for as long as it takes for him to get it together ...

then and only then, he may fulfill the football career people expected him to have.

Pitchers and catchers --- yes.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

Hopefully they cut him and he gets help or he will be a reclamation project for Dallas or Oakland.

Re: 2016 NFL Off Season

He's coming....

Anonymous Pats Fan Anonymous Pats Fan
Feb '16

Stephen Jones already said Dallas doesn't want Manziel and if he says it, it's true no matter what Jerry wants. Stephen is running the roster these days. He said "cut TO" and they cut him. He said don't draft Johnny and they didn't.

It's the "Jerry rides into the sunset" transition that Dallas fans have been hoping for.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '16

I don't think they can release him until March. Although I could be wrong.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

Clyde, I think yesterday was the first day that teams were allowed to cut players. Riley Cooper got his walking papers in Philly yesterday.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Correct ianimal

Here is why the Browns are waiting (unless they just say get him out of here fast)

By parting ways with the 23-year-old, the team would save the $4.8 million base salary without a penalty but would have to pay Manziel his guarantees in one lump sum, which would count against the team’s cap in 2016 as dead money.

The most financially-efficient solution would be to wait until June 1 to release Manziel, which would allow the Browns to spread that dead money over two years. In that scenario, Cleveland would have to pay Manziel the $2 million in guarantees he’s set to earn next season but save the $2 million he’ll make in base salary. So, essentially, the Browns would break even.

That sets up an awkward four-month waiting period with Manziel on the roster but obviously not a part of the team’s plans for the future.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

A fun read of future Super Bowl predictions. According to this, I will be dead before the Eagles ever win one. Oh well, enjoy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14747408/super-bowl-50-history-why-not-predict-next-25-super-bowl-winners

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

That was just a total goof -- with the NFL expanding to over 100 teams all over the world and all the crazy team and stadium names.

I liked the NFL-SEC merger and the Crimson Tide playing in the Super Bowl.

Ha Ha

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

I'm loving me some Howie as The Janitor! Keep cleaning up the Kelly train wreck! Bye, bye Kiko, Byron and DeMarco.....

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/03/eagles_trade_demarco_murray_kiko_alonso_byron_maxw.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Hello, 4-12, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

But a good kind of 4-12. ;-)

It's worth it just to be rid of Kiko!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Are there any details of what they got in return? I'm assuming draft picks, but what round(s) and how many?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

Yes, draft picks which have not been disclosed yet. Physicals are pending before the deals can be sealed.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

I didn't realize Kiko was that bad. Philly radio was destroying him this morning. Rumor is that Dallas and Philly were trying to work out a trade for Murray but Dallas wouldn't meet Philly's terms.

I'd like to see Forte, McFadden start the season for Dallas with a 2nd/3rd round RB draftee learning behind them. When they both go down with injuries, put the draft pick in. McFadden was the #4 rusher last year starting only 12 games.

I want Dallas to draft Bosa or Ramsey in the first.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

Sources say that the Eagles will sign Chase Daniel for the back-up QB role. See ya Sanchez!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14934620/philadelphia-eagles-sign-ex-kansas-city-chiefs-qb-chase-daniel

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Another good pick-up by the Beagles!!!

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/03/eagles_sign_safety_rodney_mcleod_5_things_to_know.html

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Steelers will allegedly sign TE Ladarius Green from SD to replace the retired Heath Miller.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

The deal is a go with Miami and Philly since Maxwell passed his physical. Miami gets Maxwell, Alonso and the Eagles 1st round pick (#13) and the Eagles get Miami's 1st round pick (#8). Works for me. Please let Ronnie Stanley still be available at 8!!! :D

Eagles are also expected to trade RB Mathews.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Houston Texans get Brock Osweiler , Giants get DE Vernon from Miami for a ridic contract of 5 for 85 with over 50 guaranteed . Jets sign 30 year old Matt Forte to replace Chris Ivory who they lost to Jacksonville . Titans sign Matt Cassel to back up Mariota - good luck with that !

Zombo Zombo
Mar '16

The giants haven't had a descent DE for years.

Old Gent Old Gent
Mar '16

Howie Rosemen has naked pictures of Tannenbaum with a goat. That is the only logical explanation for Miami agreeing to that trade. Ridiculous!

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

Too funny emaxx. I love it, of course. The Eagles have made some good signings. I love the McLeod and Brooks deals!

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Sad, only 23 years old.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/18/us/nfl-player-tray-walker-dies/index.html

RIP Tray Walker

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '16

http://dailysnark.com/6-7-405-pound-baylor-te-runs-blazing-40-yard-dash-pro-day/

That is a lot of beef coming at you! Linebackers and safeties beware.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

Cromartie has met his match! Maybe this should go into the "news of the weird"? Or things that make you slap your forehead?

http://dailysnark.com/giants-safety-proposes-girlfriend-getting-3-girls-pregnant-just-year/

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

He's got nothing on Wilt Chamberlain LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '16

Alfred Morris signs 2 year deal with Dallas. Assuming he's healthy, this is a good signing. McFadden should still be the starter but Morris is a proven (still young) vet. I expect Morris to get the majority of the goal line carries as he's the more powerful back.

Dallas should still draft a back in the second or third round though. Have that back learn pass protection as the 3rd stringer. If Morris or McFadden gets hurt, the rookie can become the backup or possibly starter by year's end.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '16

Morris is a fantastic signing.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '16

Re: 2016 NFL Off Season

Went to a little fundraiser basketball in New Brunswick on Saturday ,wifey's nephew alma mater here's a pic of his accomplishments.

Are those his real Super Bowl rings? I wouldn't leave a cigar ring sitting on a table in New Brunswick, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

Yup....those are his real rings,search him out on google and read it for yourself.

HOLY CRAP!!! The Titans traded their number one overall pick to the Rams. I guess the poor Browns won't be getting Carson Wentz after all. The Rams practically gave away everything the own for the pick. I hope it works out for them.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15201946/tennessee-titans-trade-no-1-pick-los-angeles-rams

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Guess they need a "name QB" to sell tickets in LA. Not that there are any sure things in this year's draft.

Titans are committed to Mariota so they are working on improving their team as a whole. Lots of reason for optimism in Nashville.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

"they are working on improving their team as a whole"

Well they should have an easy time doing it with the 250 picks they just got from the Rams.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

250 picks? I know your being hyperbolic, but they really didn't gain all that many in actuality. They got six and gave three away for a net increase of three. Of course, the quality of the picks is more the issue than the quantity, since they're getting two 1s, two 2s and two 3s for #1 overall, a 4 and a 6.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

OMG!!! Nooooooooooo!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15280364/cleveland-browns-trade-no-2-pick-draft-philadelphia-eagles-five-picks

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

The Browns actually put together a good deal? That's amazing... of course, they'll use those five picks to draft a bunch of losers.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

Goodbye 4-12, hello 2-14... for three years in a row. I think the Eagles really have a shot at being one of the two or three worst teams in the league.

Chip Kelly will be receiving lots of Xmas cards from Dallas, NY and Washington this year, lol. He single-handedly destroyed that franchise for the foreseeable future, it looks like. Hopefully, he can do the same for San Francisco (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

You mean Mark Sanchez won't be the Eagles QB next year? (-;

Welcome to Philadelphia, Carson Wentz.

They are saying nice things about Sanchez in Denver ... wait until they actually see him play.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

+1 Ianimal "five picks to draft a bunch of losers." The giants haven't been much better then the Browns, lately.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '16

...and the Eagles, with their only pick in the 2016, 2017, and 2018 draft select...

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '16

It's funny that the Rams and now the Eagles have mortgaged their future to move up and get a "franchise QB".

But, I'm fairly convinced that neither of these guys pan out as such. One is out of the FCS and has faced lousy defenses his entire college career; the other is out of the PAC-12, whose teams aren't more than half a step higher than FCS when it comes to playing defense, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

"But, I'm fairly convinced that neither of these guys pan out as such."

I agree. But as an Eagles fan I have to try to hope something will come of it. I have no choice.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Well, we can't just write off guys because of the conference in which they played.

Big Ben played for "mid major" Miami of Ohio, probably did not face a tougher defense than Ball State or Marshall.

The Browns did not draft him, even though he's an Ohio guy.

At Delaware, Joe Flacco probably did not face anyone tougher than Villanova or Lehigh.

Delaware lost the FCS championship game to Appalachian State, after Flacco had engineered upsets over a couple of other more highly ranked teams from the Midwest.

Both of them got to the Super Bowl and won it.

Meanwhile, Tim Tebow, at Florida in the All-Mighty SEC... what did he do in the NFL?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Since the Giants have been facing the Cowboys early lately. We may be getting some help.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15283370/demarcus-lawrence-dallas-cowboys-facing-4-game-suspension-violating-nfl-substance-abuse-policy

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '16

Wth?! So the left and right DE are suspended for the first 4 games.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '16

Yea, We need all the help we can get.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '16

Andy I believe Tebow was misunderstood and misused. I think if he was placed on the right team with the right offensive set, he would still be playing.
But what do I know, I'm a Gator fan! Lol :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Hot Corner, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, the right team with the right offensive set was the Florida Gators. Damn those NCAA eligibility rules... he could have won a dozen Heismans by now, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

Tim Tebow was on four different teams. If he had any NFL-level talent, he would be on a roster. Brandon Weeden is on a roster for crying out loud. That's how low the bar is and Tebow still couldn't rise to it.

I certainly think Bill Belichick understood what Tebow had to offer and, of all people, would know how best to use him.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '16

From day one I said he is going to be another Heisman flop.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '16

Just goes to show, sometimes you find quarterbacks with NFL skills coming out of "lesser" programs.

Ron Jaworski played at Youngstown State. Had a horrible Super Bowl game, but the curse on the Eagles probably had a lot to do with that. Now, he's Mr. Analyst on TV.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

"Sometimes" you do, but far more frequently you don't. For what their rights cost the Eagles and Rams, the risks are way too high for their probable reward. Obviously, that's just my opinion and my track record at evaluating collegiate transition to the pros is pretty hit or miss. So, we'll see...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

Phil Simms- Moorhead College Tony Romo- Eastern Illinois

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '16

Thats the point. The NFL teams used him for his name. Name one team that gave him a legitimate shot as a starter?

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Laughable that the Patriots used him for his name with Tom Brady on the roster.

He was the starter for 14 games in Denver in 2010/2011. In 2011, he started 11 games. His stats were:

- 46% pct completions
- 72.9 passer rating ( a value that overinflates QB performance if anything)
- 13 fumbles

He was a first round pick by Denver. No team spends a first round pick on a guy if they have no intention of using him as a starter.

He couldn't even unseat Mark "Buttfumble" Sanchez on the Jets.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '16

Those guys who do the drafting watch a lot of film and know what they are looking for.

As far as I know, there's only one FCS quarterback who is even being discussed.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Emaxxman I humbly disagree that Denvers offense was the right fit for him. I believe Elway wanted to mold him into something he wasn't.
I also believe in this day and age of the game teams will use (draft) anyone for future leverage. Just my opinion

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Adam Schefter is reporting, per a source, that Bradford wants to be traded and will no longer show up for the Eagles off-season program.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Just when you thought Deflategate was all over, Brady's 4-game suspension has been reinstated, lol...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15353950/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-four-game-suspension-deflategate-reinstated-appeals-court

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

I'm sure the Eagles have been planning on trading Bradford all along. Cleveland may be the desperate team that takes him ... like Kevin Costner said in Draft Day ... "I want my picks back" ... they'll probably do the deal just when Cleveland is "on the clock."

As for Deflategate ...I'll have to award Mike Golic five donuts for this one ... he said a few months ago that it was not going away ... the NFL legal nerds would not allow it to fade into yesterday's news.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

So the Wentz wagon has come to rest in Philly. Let's hope he works out at least as well as their last #2 overall pick.

Welcome to Philly Carson, enjoy a cheesesteak and then get to work!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Now the Eagles need to do what the Ravens have been doing for Flacco ... get some good offensive linemen to protect him.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

I wanted Jalen Ramsey for Dallas. Better to shoot for an 8 year starter then a 4 year starter (because you know Dallas ain't going to be payin' Zeke on that second contract.) Oh well.

Dallas needs to go DL on the next pick. Desperate help is needed there.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '16

How about Ohio State with all the top picks and Rutgers stole a coach. It may be a good omen.
Apple may be OK. Two young to start. He has to learn to keep his hands off. Not going to get away with that in the NFL.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '16

So SAMantha Bradford showed up for off season workouts today and has also taking his trade request off the table. It's about time he quit whining and got to work. I guess he realized that he was valuing himself way too high.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Going into his 14th year of being the long snapper for the Eagles, Jon Dorenbos figures he would pursue other career avenues in case he is kicked to the curb soon. Quite entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCyXy4GH-O8

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

That was cool. :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Stay classy Dez....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16432040/dez-bryant-dallas-cowboys-faces-lawsuit-allegedly-trashed-house

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

So the Ravens DON'T have a monopoly on bad dudes.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Andy - That honor would go to the Vikings and Broncos (who knew about Denver?) The Ravens are the proud members of the double digit club.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/which-nfl-team-has-had-the-most-arrests-over-the-last-five-years-133357974.html

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '16

Surprised it isn't the Bengals.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Do those numbers count Joseph Randle's latest escapade? I think the Cowboys deserve credit for that one even if he isn't on the active roster (-;

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/joseph-randle-facing-new-felony-charge-from-jail-time-cowboys-running-back/r6nj7av3n9xz17usgb3s6nufi

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

I still do not understand how someone can make millions of dollars but forget to buy some common sense.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

In pro sports, the first thing they look for is talent. Teams and coaches are judged on how much they win.

Character is a secondary concern.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Be careful Ian. The Steelers aren't choir boys either.

Putting all of their faith into Randle was a mistake in every sense of the word. I'm just glad Jerry didn't get his way and drafted Manziel.

These athletes are the best of the best. America's celebrity worship culture created people like these bad apples. From the time they were young, they were pampered by coaches and fans. It would be hard for almost everyone to not get egos and a sense of "I can't get punished."

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.