Great Volunteering Opportunity: work with wildlife, Antler Ridge

Great Volunteering Opportunity: work with wildlife, Antler Ridge

As some of you know, I volunteer at Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary. Believe it or not training is already scheduled for new volunteers for the coming baby season. Note that if decide to come, you should register ahead of time. Yup I can answer many questions.

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

Volunteering to help rehab wildlife was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. I encourage anyone who is interested in nature and the animals that surround us here in NJ to consider volunteering. It's an **amazing** experience to be up-close and hands-on with animals! I learned so much during my years working at a wildlife rehab.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '16

Do you know if any innoculatoons or vaccines are required to work with wildlife?

A good day
Jan '16

I volunteered for many years at a wildlife rehab facility and did get a rabies vacination. I don't know where you are able to get it now, Antler Ridge might know.

5catmom, do they take volunteers who are available once or twice a month?

KelseyP
Jan '16

I don't think any are necessary, a good day. Like Iris, I am vaccinated against rabies, but by choice, not by obligation. There are tasks that Iris and I did that other volunteers who were not vaccinated against rabies did not do/were not allowed to. For example: some unvaccinated volunteers spent all their time feeding baby birds and changing their nests. No vaccinations required for that!

Other than rabies, I don't think there are other immunizations one considers when working with wildlife. 5cat - would you agree?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '16

lets see - re vaccines - that's your option - but should you get bitten (I never have been and raccoons are immunized at the right age) you'll be instructed to head to the ER...
Re once or twice a month - it depends on what you want to do. Those of us who work with the animals make a commitment of at least one 4 hour shift a week. However there are many different things volunteers can do. If you are seriously interested, I highly recommend signing up for the volunteering day in the flyer above.
It is not so easy to get the rabies vaccine. It's very expensive and insurance will only cover it if you've been bitten. However there may be an opportunity through a wildlife group to get the 3 in the series for a reasonable fee. After that you have to have your blood checked periodically to check your immunity. I opt to feed and help with all animals. I have certain gloves I may use when handling a juvenile who is a little feisty. I also have kevlar sleeves to avoid scratches from bigger ones.

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

Re: Great Volunteering Opportunity: work with wildlife, Antler Ridge

here's a pix during one feeding

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

aww.....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '16

another

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

Miss those days!

Did my Eagle Scout project at Antler Ridge, Kelly Simonetti was incredibly helpful in every step of the process. Definitely worth the volunteer time

Placenotway
Jan '16

another example - very young squirrel - called a Pinky for obvious reasons -

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

Do you have to be 18 to volunteer? My daughter will be turning 18 in May but would LOVE to help out.Thanks in advance!

SassySince'72 SassySince'72
Jan '16

I love the pics! Absolutely precious!

positive positive
Jan '16

A couple years ago I inquired about my son volunteering over Summer break. Due to prior commitments his schedule would have varied on different weeks and we were told that there was a strict schedule without variation. Has that changed or are there so many volunteers that they're still choosy?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jan '16

Lori - I'm not sure. I do know that we usually sign up for a consistent 4 hour shift a week- usually 4 or more people per shift. We learn to work well with each other. I'm not sure how well a very inconsistent schedule would work. Also it really takes time to learn the routine - how things are done - how to keep records - make the formulas....For more clarity, I suggest contacting Antler Ridge directly.

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

Are the volunteer hours on the weekends or weekdays?

A tower of fawns... a tower of tiny, adorable baby deer! I hate to think of the circumstances that brought them to the tower, but I'm so happy and grateful to the folks who are taking care of them and nursing them to health (or to an age where they can find their own food).

I'd probably end up getting in trouble for trying to cuddle all the babies.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Jan '16

hours 7 days a week: 8am-12pm 12pm-4pm 4pm -8pm

please refer to the poster at the top of my post for details about new volunteer training...this would be a great opportunity to learn more, ask questions and consider signing up...

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '16

It's the end of the month- Our Volunteer Orientation Day will be Sunday Feb. 28 from 9-12 at the Frelinghysen Town Hall, 210 Main Street in Johnsonburg NJ. You must make a reservation to attend by calling Antler Ridge at 973 800-2420. Here you'll receive an overview of wildlife rehabilitation and what is required of a volunteer. For more information go to our web site http://www.antler-ridge.com/how_volunteer.html

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

What is the age requirement for volunteering?

Jen, I found a contact link on their website that may help:

http://antler-ridge.com/ways-to-help/

justintime justintime
Jan '19

Perfect link justintime. Information there about upcoming new volunteer training..l

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

This year's first training session if you are interested:

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

4 catmom, can you hike there and offer donations?

I volunteered at Antler Ridge last year for the first time. I loved it!! Yes, it was hot and it was hard work but it provided such amazing experiences that I would never have had like cradling a very young fawn in my lap and feeding it a bottle. What a rush!!

If you are considering volunteering there and are still uncertain, please read the attached review. After reading it, I was sure that I wanted to try it out. The person who wrote it is far more eloquent than I am and he gives a wonderful description of what it is like.
https://greatnonprofits.org/users/profile/445222

Quiet one Quiet one
Jan '19

JMSk you can't hike there - It's not open to the public except during special events. Work is being done on creation of a nature trail but it's in the early stages. Yes donations are always welcome.

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.