White Squirrel

White Squirrel

I had two white squirrel used to come for peanuts two years ago. I think they might have been killed. This October another one showed up. He comes for food in the morning and at dawn . I named him Casper.

He is just gorgeous. An albino squirrel. Wow!

A good day
Jan '16

Re: White Squirrel

Neat! Never saw one of those, but I have seen jet-black squirrels before - in Canada.

Not sure what color the squirrel was that caused this, though.

very cute trash panda!

Skippy Skippy
Jan '16

I have two jet black squirrels in my yard - showed up around October. They really stand out when in the trees and next to the grey squirrels.

Bonv -
I have only seen black squirrels in NYC. Do you live in Hackettstown?

happiest girl
Jan '16

I do - right in town. Never saw them here before this past year. One is always out there at my birdfeeders and I'll grab a photo soon.

I have seen black squirrels on old mine rd in van campens glen area.

A good day
Jan '16

We now have a family of black squirrels - this is one of the younger ones.

Bonv, thanks for sharing the picture. I've never seen a black squirrel.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '16

When I lived in Michigan we had a lot of black squirrels. They seemed to hop more than the grey ones.

Redwing
Jun '16

we have a beautiful albino squirrel - and skunk - at antler ridge

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Wow 4catmom - are you able to take pictures or is that frowned upon?

here's a pretty recent pix

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Thanks - poor little guy.

He's with his littermates - living a pretty good life -

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

I had only seen black squirrels down in north Carolina. But recently I saw one behind McDonald's.

ChristIsRisen ChristIsRisen
Jun '16

Seems to be quite a few black squirrels in Kenwod section of H'twn

Frank d Frank d
Jun '16

We had two white squirrels, for the past few years, but haven't seen them this year at all. I miss seeing them.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jun '16

I saw a/the albino squirrel un upper Diamond Hill 2 weeks ago.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '16

They're only albino if they have pink eyes and skin

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

How about a blond woodchuck? This one's been hanging around my house, thought it was a stray cat.

Awe, Casper is lovely! This is little G.W.C on washington street

I saw the/a white squirrel just a couple days ago in DH. The family line continues!

May '17

I haven’t seen any white squirrels, yet this year. Did see a red one, though. What happened to our resident white squirrel? Any sightings?

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '18

Found this little guy in one of my bluebird nest boxes. Amazing little flying squirrel.

Martha Martha
Jul '18

White squirrel was on my patio just last week!

Jul '18

Here he is, eating the sunflower seeds spilled by the other squirrels when attacking out bird feeder...

Jul '18

So glad to see him! I was thinking of him today, my husband and I usually see him driving through the opposite side of the neighborhood from us.

somechik somechik
Jul '18

"my husband and I usually see him driving through the opposite side of the neighborhood from us"

Holy crap a driving squirrel!!!!! Hahahaha! Can you imagine that? Not only is he an albino, but he drives too. Where do you think he goes? Nuts R Us?

I know, I crack myself up sometimes.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

are his eyes red? if not he's not albino.....

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '18

I couldn't get close enough to tell this time, but in the past I have definitely identified the pink eyes. The pic above isn't at a great angle, hard to tell.

Jul '18

OMG Calico, thanks for the chuckle

Sunshine Sunshine
Jul '18

Calico

at times you crack me up

thanks for the laugh

tidy
Jul '18

There's a Facebook group called Understanding & Identifying Color Mutations In Wild Birds & Animals who'd be interested in your white squirrel photos! Can you tell if his eyes are red? If not, he's leucistic, not albino. Either way, he's a beauty! There are a ton of black squirrels in Princeton proper. Used to see them all the time.

I couldn't tell that day, I couldn't get close enough. But there have been white squirrels around here for years, and in the past they were definitely albinos, with pink eyes.

Jul '18

Wonder if he’s the little guy/girl always up on Elmwood Drive in DH OR if it’s Just extended family. Maybe they’re to lazy to walk to visit relatives And that’s why they’re driving through the neighborhood.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jul '18

Hello,

He has been in my yard over the last few weeks everyday. He is cute. Have pictures of him playing with the other Squirrels.

DEBORAH A PALMA DEBORAH A PALMA
Jul '18

May just be a natural white squirrel not an albino.
There's a herd of white deer in NY. During WWII the army just happened to use the property and built a fence around it so they just kept breeding with each other.

https://www.senecawhitedeer.org/

If it is albino
The Albino Squirrel Preservation Society was founded at the University of Texas at Austin in 2001.

Stifler Stifler
Jul '18

Wed Oct 3

Oct '18

they're albino only if the eyes are pink - we now have two at Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary -

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Glad to see they are still around. Thanks for posting the pic JR.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

A few years ago we had a white deer and a white ground hog on our property in Indy. They came around every once-in-awhile that one year, and we haven't seen them since.

Mrs. Pipes```` Mrs. Pipes````
Oct '18

My neighbor got a pic of what is apparently a BABY! She has seen the regular one AND a smaller one!

Oct '18

white privilege. living in a gated community. :)

I finally got to see the white squirrel. You’re right,JR, the last one I saw was bigger and the tail was all narley ....beat up looking. That was a couple of years ago. This baby is the first one I’ve seen, since the older one disappeared. Probably got chowed. They are bright targets and we’ve had lots of hawks hanging around. Good photos, JR!

Oct '18

young albino squirrel at Antler Ridge...beautiful

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

She is so cute she actually looks like a Christmas ornament. Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to steal her? :-P <3

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

good luck with that, Rebecka

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Was hoping you might help me out here, truth be told. Just put her in your pocket one afternoon and tiptoe out... ?

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

I know white squirrels are rare, but how about a black squirrel. I saw it in Kenwood. I've never seen a black squirrel before. At first I thought it was a cat, then it came right up to my car door and it was a black squirrel.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '18

I have seen black squirrels but most in NYC- Central Park etc---an infrequent sight in NJ

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

Black squirrels are prevalent in Ontario, but I haven't seen any locally.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '18

The first time I saw a black squirrel was at the Bronx Zoo. So they must be common in NY.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '18

Actually I've seen several black squirrels right in Hackettstown in the McDonald's parking lot. I shared my french fries with them, this was about seven years ago.

positive positive
Oct '18

I've never seen a black squirrel in NJ, I have read about the ones over by McDonald's...

I saw them up in Detroit, where my aunts live.

Oct '18

There is 2 Black Squirrels that live right by David's Country Inn

heyman heyman
Oct '18

We have one and he lives in Kenwood. That's not to far from Mickey D's.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '18

Yup I can vouch for Count Dracula the black squirrel living in Kenwood
Saw him today and a few weeks ago

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Oct '18

He has a name now that's awesome. Count Squirula!!

auntiel auntiel
Oct '18

Saw this article about a hungry black squirrel.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/desperate-squirrel-fearlessly-approaches-human-110006902.html

I've seen a black squirrel multiple times in the Mitchell Rd area in Htown. We used to have a couple red squirrels in my yard in Indy, but haven't seen them in a year :(

Indy Naybor
Oct '18

I caught him this morning walking the high wire. (best I could do; phone was on max zoom)

Oct '18

Cool pic’s, JR! He’s really trying to be hawk bait, huh? For one who has no camouflage, he/she’s a brave one.

Oct '18

from the Mansfield Twp. Neighborhood Watch FB page: (not my post)

Hey all! Been waiting to write until I knew she was ok....there was a "baby" white squirrel a few weeks back on the corner of highland and hillside at the stop sign...went to do errands came back and it was still there..I pulled over to get it out of the street ( the garbage man were out flying up the street)..I've never seen the baby only the big one...when I shushed it to the tree it couldnt walk and had an issue with its leg...I was able to pick it up and called Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary...they have been taking good care of her and she will live out life at the sanctuary with the other squirrels who are not able to go back into the wild..the next day there was also another larger white squirrel across the street so there is definitely more than one.....turns out it was a 3 month old female...and she is one sassy little thing and doing much better!

Oct '18

Wow...in the right place, at the right time. She so cute! I don’t have Facebook, so I’m glad you put the post, from Antler Ridge. Thank you for rescuing that little baby and for posting the photos.

Oct '18

I didn't rescue her, that's why I said it wasn't my post. But I'm glad my neighbor did! Because with limited mobility, she surely would have been Hawk dinner :(

Oct '18

Here she is - took this last Wednesday - and yes indeed she is very sassy - some call her Lucy (from Peanut fame)

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

After seeing the photo, I forgot that it wasn’t from your post, JR. Talk about a short memory...LOL.
4 cat...adorable!

Oct '18

Lucy! Love it!

Oct '18

Is this considered a black squirrel? If it is I have lots of them in my yard....

Yes, Dam. That is a black squirrel. I saw one too and was able to stop and get a picture.

jennymc jennymc
Oct '18

Been a while since I’ve seen even ONE black squirrel. Dam has lots of them? Cooooool.

Oct '18

Yes I see them all the time,I’m guessing at least 3-4 of them along with the brown squirrels I’ll try to get a better pic ....

Jan 12

Jan '19

Where do you buy white squirrel food, JR? Seems like you’re always seeing them. I’m always looking for them. Adorable photo! Thanks:-)

Jan '19

Thanks for the update JR!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '19

LOL... my neighbor said she thinks the family lives in her yard, this spring she was seeing the babies alot. That bird feeder has black oil sunflower seed bird food in it, and it's a "squirrel proof" feeder, but they get up there anyway and apparently shake some seeds down onto the ground.

Interesting how all the brown squirrels in my yard are FAT (they fatten themselves up for the winter, for when snow covers everything), but the white squirrels have never been fat.

Jan '19

J Repub,

Stop fat shaming squirrels right now!

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Jan '19

Just saw a baby white squirrel in the back yard here in Diamond Hill.

Denise Denise
Jun '19

Cute!

http://albinosquirrel.com/

Iamrite Iamrite
Jun '19

YAY! They’re back. I’m on the lookout! They are so cool!

Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.