Great Stores & Restaurants on Main Street in Hackettstown

I am afraid I am one of the ones guilty of living in Hackettstown and not frequenting the Main St. businesses as much as I should. Recently I have visited such wonderful stores and restaurants that I would like to just give a few a plug. 1. Would be C & L Subs (next to Dominos pizza) on Main St. - I had perhaps the best Chicken Ceasar Salad I have ever had today there.
2. Traceys Candy Shoppe...You just have to stop in there to believe how cute this place is and what wonderful candy Tracy has to offer you. She carries every kind of candy imagionable.
3. Demi's Pastry- Out of this world!
4. Oldye Tyme Barber Shop- (a bit out of town but well worth the trip). at 2 N. Main St. -reasonable haircuts at a great price.
5. Hackettstown health foods store....These people have everything imagionable to meet your healthy product needs.
Etc. etc.
Shop Main St, Hackettstown....you will be glad you did...

joyful joyful
Dec '15

I like the reuben at C&L - very lean, and piled high.

I love *everything* at Tracey's.

I've *eaten* everything at Demi's.

I *should* be eating everything at Hackettstown Health Food. (he says shamefully)

Just had that great breakfast as Stella G's - stuffed french toast!!!

Hackettstown Pet reminds of the health food store - has everything you could ask for. Not to mention ordering what ever you need, just pick it up tomorrow. I bet Miss Kitty would be really happy there. ;-)

And I just mentioned the Churrascaria on the other thread. And then there's Harpers cinnamon swirls. And Mezza House for shwarma. And Topo & Pandan shaking beef and masaman.

Plus we're now becoming the three time micro-brewery capital of north NJ. Makes some happy clients when they get their Christmas thank-you's.

Oh crap, I'm on a first name basis with all of these people, I can feel my credit card groaning as I type...

Stella G's - for great breakfast and lunch

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '15

Sub shack !!!

skippy skippy
Dec '15

Where is the Health Food Store located?

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Dec '15

mohepinoke - Near the corner of Moore St. It's right next to Sunrise Dairy.

If you need more info, here's their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/HackettstownHealthFoods/

I regularly use
Tracey's Candy Shoppe, yum yum and very nice people
Demi's Pastry, fun folks
Olde Tyme Barber -- Weds is discount day
Hackettstown Pet -- mostly for gear, not food, but that's just me
Pandan regular where extra spicy means good luck!
Harper's with free internet
Manskirt - so cool
Sub Shack -- best parking for take out!!!!
Marty's --- all my tune ups and repairs
Marley's for the wings
Tickners for all my seed n feed; anything in a 40lb bag! And they load!!!!
Home Town Hardware for anything not in a bag.....

Will try C&L Subs, Stella Gl,s, Leo's (what is wrong with me for not already doing Leo's?) Churrascaria and TOPO (very sooon)
Should try Health Store, not likely :>)

And voting for small business "just off Main..."
Greene's Beans
Potpourri Paints
Warren County Glass -- windows and screens

Sorry if I left some off, need more coffee (Greene's Beans!)

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '15

I think in comparison to other towns in the area we're lacking in terms of restaurant options. We don't even have a good Italian restaurant since Cara Mia left - and please don't say Mamas. That's Hackettstown "good" - anywhere else Mama's is a run of the mill pizza joint.

And the stores? We have a 7 barbershops on main street. The rest are spanish restaurants that make no sense because they're always empty and they cost more money to eat at then Stella's G's. Also, culturally speaking the hispanic population in hackettstown cannot afford these restaurants and the hackettstown natives by and large cannot read the menu. Do these businesses have a different purpose?

Hackettstown BID could be doing so much more. The model should be Chester and not Dover.

mike1887
Dec '15

^ The BID is doing as best they can, and I am happy with many of the places already mentioned, but of course always want something better.

When comparing Hackettstown to Chester, take a look at the data from city-data.com (I have no idea how accurate this may be, but will assume it is correct):

Estimated median household income in 2013: $65,485
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $30,394

Estimated median household income in 2013: $103,296
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $53,148

You can probably guess which one is for Hackettstown, and which is for Chester.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Dec '15

Seven barbershops? Are you serious?

pampurr pampurr
Dec '15

And.... you don't have to smell Walmart's disgusting sewage, in the summer. Support you're local merchants and try to avoid the mega stores. I really miss the sweeping view of hills and farms, where Walmart and kohl's stands now.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Dec '15

I would love to see a place in town like Jerry's Seafood in Sparta to buy fresh seafood.

pampurr pampurr
Dec '15

no there are not 7 barbershops on Main St unless you are counting the Hair solons, which I think they would take offense to you calling them a barbershop.

And Mike exactly how do you know what our Hispanic population can and can not afford?

darwin darwin
Dec '15

Sub Shack...The best subs Try anything from 120+ item menu, with home cooked roast beef, turkey and ham. They'll even cook deep-fried hot dogs like the "rippers" at Rutt's Hut in Clifton, with homemade chili or sauerkraut to top them, plus pickled eggs! Their steak sandwiches, all four varieties, are loaded and cannot be beat.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

This is making me hungry, I need to branch out on Main Street apparently, I'm guilty of going to the same places over and over.

We did use Affordable Vacuum last year for a central vacuum unit. Our house had the internal piping for it, but never had a unit put in. Dan was helpful in guiding my husband through what we needed to put the unit in and extend the tubes to connect it all - AND he had it all in stock so we didn't have to buy a unit and then schlep around for the rest. We couldn't have gotten that service online, main street is a great resource.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Dec '15

mike1887 - You have a half dozen inaccuracies in your post. We also should not be emulating Chester as their vacancy rate is double Hackettstown's. Hackettstown has businesses moving in, Chester moving out. Chester is no longer the quaint antique town, their town center is dying.

DannyC - You forgot the homemade meatballs are the best around.

Oh yea, Sub Shack has better meatballs than Mama's, Enzo's or Sonny's. Also try their breaded chicken cutlet as chicken parm. They must be using the same spices for that...delish! I have lived here for five years and still not made my way through their entire menu.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

"Smell Walmart's disgusting sewage in the summer...???

What you're smelling is not sewage, it's the result of a dumpster baking in the heat...and you'll get the same smell walking behind any of the stores on Main Street where their dumpsters have food waste in them baking in the heat.

JerryG JerryG
Dec '15

I think the BID is doing a great job! We have tried several restaurants on Main St. We like Emma's, as well as TOPO, and a few others!

Sport
Dec '15

GC - Where is the 3rd Micro Brewery going? Are you counting Homebrew U?

Moe Greene
Dec '15

Moe Greene - No, not Homebrew U. Man Skirt is on Main St, Czigmeister on Valentine St, and Jersey Girl is on Sand Shore. Not all on Main St as in the title of the post, but they're all our area.

I welcome the ethnic mix vs. white washed mentality that always seeps in on HL.

From my observation, ir seems that many of the newer ethnic businesses go out of their way to spruce up their storefronts and provide curb appeal. I can't say the same for some of the older businesses with very dated signage.

But Main Street should unite vs. divide.

That sewage smell is not from Walmart, it's from Donaldson's.

brown bear2 brown bear2
Dec '15

The smell is from behind the strip mall where Taphouse is. There is a sewage treatment plant back there.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '15

Well, I'm not sure of the source of the "sewage " smell. In the summer, the stink starts on rt. 57, by Ruby Tuesday, and lingers on until I'm passed Walmart. So strong, makes me gag.... yuck!. Don't smell it in the winter as much. I'd still like to have the farms back. Take the smell and look of cows, than ugly, stinky strip malls any day.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Dec '15

Where is Demi's Pastry would love to try it

SAAK, it's on Main Street on the same block as Marty's Cycles. The owner is the nicest man and the biscotti is absolutely fantastic.

weebiekins weebiekins
Dec '15

Demi is a man? Well there goes that image :>)

Love the biscotti.

sparks, mike et al -----> learn to read the thread title before you harsh it's mellow....plenty of places to malign Main.

Dec '15

SAAK - Charlie at Demi's is definitely a great guy. I suggest calling ahead though, as a primarily wholesale business he's sometimes in and out making deliveries, etc. Besides the very soft biscotti, he's got out of this world brownies and whoopie pies. It's your lucky day if he has some baklava put away. Special order an oreo cheese cake if you ever need that something special for a birthday. Ask nice and he'll do some Greek specialty catering for you. Just can't say enough good things about his wife's pastries as well as his own food.

Enjoy Creperie is *really* good.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Dec '15

I too, would love a good italian ( not pizzeria ) and seafood restaurants.

Iluvsnow
Dec '15

Do those hispanic stores on Main Street sell to white customers? I've seen some really interesting gifts in a few of those storefronts but I'm nervous to go in since I don't particularly wanted to be discriminated against.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

Are u serious Clark?

Darwin Darwin
Dec '15

Are you serious 1988LJ ?????

Missrx Missrx
Dec '15

1988LJ, I hope that post was tongue in cheek. I am Caucasian, and have been into every "Hispanic" store on Main Street. The people working have invariably been friendly, helpful, and I've enjoyed chatting with them. I urge people to broaden their horizons and visit some of the stores. You'll be glad you did.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Dec '15

I'm serious...I've never been in these stores, I don't know what kind of racism I'm going to face. Calm down.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

I went in with a smile and a pleasant greeting, and the same was returned to me. . Anyway, I hope you'll go into the stores-many of them have a variety of interesting items and in my experience were open and friendly.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Dec '15

zero percent 1988LJ - the butcher in fruitimex was teaching me espanol - awesome people

I applaud you for asking the question and now that you know its a non existent concern I hope you frequent the establishments mentioned.

Skippy Skippy
Dec '15

FruitiMex has fresh fruit, vegetables and rolls every day. Can't go wrong.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Well 1988LJ is you go in wearing your klan outfit you might get some racism. If you go in with a smile you'll get a smile back. So leave your klan hood at home.

Darwin Darwin
Dec '15

Lol I think most stores will sell to any person with money....

1988LJ does have a point. While the places do have a friendly demeanor, you're not getting the best items. Those items are usually reserved for all the Hispanics living on Main Street. I would recommend sticking with the shops mentioned earlier on in this thread just to be safe.

Larry Larry
Dec '15

Yea be safe Larry they keep the malaria and ebola fruits for whiteys. On a more real note what dishes do they serve? I've seen some come out with meals.

Ok then
Dec '15

... can really get a feel for what my Italian ancestors faced when they immigrated to this country and began a business in the 1800's - I bet all of us could trace back to our ancestor's experiences... a mix of welcome and suspicion.. go on, give it a try, if you had walked into my great grandfather's place, you would have been made to feel welcome and wanted.

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '15

IMO similar to Blackwell Street, Dover.

pampurr pampurr
Dec '15

And yet again, the bigots of Hackettstown Life show themselves.

JerryG JerryG
Dec '15

summerrain1 & Skippy- Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check some of these stores out, I'm glad that they are friendly and welcoming.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

If you haven't tried lunch or cake from Rico Pan you're missing something!

Get there early - they sell out every day.

I would personally love to discriminate against small minded people like 1988LJ! But none of the quality shops on Main St. would think of it. Happy shopping

kepa
Dec '15

"Do those hispanic stores on Main Street sell to white customers?"

Uh, LJ.....here's a buck, buy a clue.

Hispanics are white........

But Larry is very white, I mean very right.... As soon as you bigots come through the door, the shopkeepers remove all the good stuff at the speed of light replacing it with old stock. Some people use LIFO inventory methods, some FIFO, but the Hispanics, they use the White Flash.

Dec '15

The fact that anyone would automatically assume a place would discriminate against them (without any basis for such an assumption) just proves how horrible of a person they truly are.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '15

strangerdanger:

"White Flash"...too funny! BTW, LIFO is the standard practice at all food stores, lest they be written up and fined or shut down by the Board of Health. At FruitiMex, the fresh fruit and produce moves out so fast that it must be replenished every day. I only wish they had some packaged bread, but their daily fresh rolls and breads are terrific, and everyone there is friendly and appreciative of your business..

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

+10000 emaxxman

darwin darwin
Dec '15

There is no cure for stupidity. What business could maintain a profit and stay in business operating that way? Common sense is a misnomer, it apparently not very common here.

FrutiMex is great. Veges and fruit always fresh, the clerks always friendly and welcoming. Love their bread and packaged cookies , etc. Have gotten meat in there too. Happy to have a little grocery store on Main St.

Hoping Hoping
Dec '15

LMAO at these people saying I'm racist or bigoted in some way. Sorry, but people of all races, colors and ethnicities are discriminated against and insulted for their differences every day in America, and I don't want to be the person at either end of that.

I'm sure if a hispanic person came on HL and asked the same question about white store owners nobody would be saying the same thing.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

White people are not oppressed for their skin color.

kepa
Dec '15

Wow strangerdanger.

I didn't think you'd make such a broad mistake.

While the majority of "Hispanics" would call themselves "white", the term refers to those of historically Spanish origin, no matter what "race" they are, including admixtures of AmerIndian, Caribbean Indian, "other" European, Asian, Pacific Islander and African.

My ex's family looked something like the U.N. because of her very mixed Puerto Rican heritage. Some were darker and some very much lighter (unless they spent a lot of time in the sun).

That of course doesn't mean that anyone should discriminate against them either, just as the so-called "hater" posters are hoping they wouldn't be discriminated against because they don't speak the language or are unfamiliar with their culture.

To those unfamiliar with Hispanic or any other culture, I've found through the years that "diving in" and being open and honest about wanting to learn about their "home" culture will usually give you a great response. People are usually more than happy to share with you! Of course it does help if you speak "un poquito de Espanol", meaning a "tiny bit of Spanish"!

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '15

1988LJ: Just enjoy shopping on Main Street, it's great! No racism or bigotry when you pay your bill for fine goods in US dollars. Relax and enjoy, FCS.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

1988LJ - Maybe it's not because you asked about being "discriminated against" but because you only asked about "those hispanic stores". If you understand it can happen anywhere, why didn't you ask about all the stores?

Just came back from Chester. Some nice shopping in that town! Love the new Plow and Hearth store..great sales there today!! Way to go Chester for attracting those upscale stores!! Waiting on Hackettstown to do the same. :)

pampurr pampurr
Dec '15

kepa- Give me a break. White people are constantly attacked, physically and verbally for their race. Grow a brain, please.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

Great empanadas at Fruitmex, also had a fabulous Pernil cooked by them for Thanksgiving. Very nice people there.

Bessie Bessie
Dec '15

Sorry 1988LJ, but didn't you ask a similar question pertaining to the new Dollar General store? You seemed concerned about being exposed to unclean, dangerous lower income people (not quoting you). Do you remember that?

Seems that you have some serious hangups/phobias..counseling can't hurt at this point. Not being a wise guy..very serious.

positive positive
Dec '15

"Sorry, but people of all races, colors, ethnicities are discriminated against and insulted for their differences everyday in America, and I don't want to be that person at either end of that".

You have become that person...

positive positive
Dec '15

Sub shack...LOVE THE SALAD ..I eat there at lets 2 times a wk. Subs are good too

Donnabelle57 Donnabelle57
Dec '15

Love Fruitmex and Rico Pan.

Fruitmex, great papayas, mangoes and avacodoes. Very helpful and nice people.

Rico Pan, excellent food and very reasonable. Very accommodating and appreciative for anyone's business.

positive positive
Dec '15

Thanks Phil, what a doozy. And I had just researched "what is an arab" so I should have known better. Apparently I scanned a CNN article talking about American Hispanics indicating "white" on license, census, etc. and throwing all the bean counters off since they want to track Hispanics.

I have been schooled. Thanks.

Dec '15

Love Ashley's me and the wifey go at least every other week ,always great food !

White people oppressed? 1988LJ obviously does not know the meaning of that word or he would know that the neo-Nazi claim of the oppression of white people is rhetoric. As I said before, you can't fix stupid.

Bessie:

"Great empanadas at Fruitmex, also had a fabulous Pernil cooked by them for Thanksgiving." Mmmmmama, why didn't I think of that? Fasting now for surgery tomorrow, but looking forward to your suggestion.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

What is Pernil?

tidy
Dec '15

Dannyc, I always like the beef when I get them anywhere else, but their chicken empandas are the best! Make sure you ask for the green sauce for them. Hope your surgery goes OK.

Bessie Bessie
Dec '15

tidy,

It's roasted pork butt :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Dec '15

You all talk about how your ancestors came to this country. You forget to mention that they learned how to speak the English language, followed the process to become citizens, adapted to their environment while keeping their culture alive at home. They didn't hang out on street corners speaking their own language and causing problems. They were all too busy working and raising their children. They weren't opening stores to benefit their own people by offering cash checking and other services that helped their "people" avoid paying taxes because they don't have a social security number to open a bank account. Stop comparing your ancestors to this garbage we have on our streets today. It's rude and a disgrace to these people who gave you what you have today.

Larry Larry
Dec '15

Correction- "avocados". My tablet spell check stinks.

Larry your bigotry will get you no where, maybe you and 1988 should get together and have a drink at Marleys.

positive positive
Dec '15

strangerdanger and others who may be interested

Here's an article by someone originally from Spain who speaks not only of the weirdness of it all, but also about the very figures that strangerdanger mentions:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-10-28/im-white-barcelona-los-angeles-im-hispanic

Many census and other polls list Hispanic - white and Hispanic - non white, among other categories. I don't know if they're trying to "fit in" as white, as the article suggests, but oddly enough in South and Central America the more "Native" and/or non white you appear, the more you are discriminated against, since while the Native cultures had advanced cultures and knowledge, the main measuring stick is how "white" and originally "Spanish" you appear to be. Apparently "appearance is everything", just as with racism here in the U.S.A. and in other parts of the world.

This doesn't take into account that the Spanish themselves (as the article mentions) are quite a mix of bloodlines and peoples. In college I have to admit that I was at first a bit surprised to find that while my friend from Nicaragua was quite dark, a girl from Venezuela was very fair-skinned with blond hair and blue eyes! As some may remember, I was a "military brat" while growing up and spent my school years around the contiguous 48 and Hawaii (where I was in the minority in public school). Those years were spent in schools on base, Catholic schools off base and local public schools, so I was exposed to people of many varying cultures, religions and ethnicities.

To those "fearful" of other groups. They're only fearful to you until you get to know them and make some friends or at least acquaintances of other cultures that can explain to you the ins and outs of their own culture and customs. As long as nobody shows a propensity towards violence to other people or animals or unreasonably infringe on others rights, I'm fine with them and their freedom to worship and celebrate, etc. as they please.

sd - you're quite welcome. The whole "mess" can be quite confusing and I admit I have to scratch my head here and there before figuring things out.

By the way, since this forum was originally about great places on Main street, I'll have to try Frutimex, since I LOVE mangoes. I got hooked on them while living in Hawaii and sadly most places have crappy mangoes.

I do love Tracey's Candy Shoppe and while I was only able to get to "Selling Tales" once, I loved what they had and would love to get there early enough to check out more of their selection before their closing hour. I'm also a fan of Leo's Lunch (though when I've been in there in the late afternoon there seems to be a small contingent in there that really is hard on the youth of today, especially Centenary students) and Sub Shack. Marley's has a nice atmosphere too. There's a lot of places I haven't tried lately that I'll have to get to, but just haven't had a chance.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations!

P.S. My Mother-in-Law made some awesome Pasteles::

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/puerto-rican-pasteles-em-pasteles-puertorriquenos-em-51203630

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '15

Thanks. I was thinking about food while fasting for eight hours before surgery. After reading your longwinded rants about race, I now have no appetite at all. It helps.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Your vast knowledge and upbeat opened mind is greatly appreciated. You're the best Phil.

positive positive
Dec '15

I guess Larry never met any of my immigrant ancestors who owned businesses, worked in New York, and barely spoke English until later in life. They "hung out" with people who spoke the same language on stoops and corners in my youth. Again common sense is not that common. If you are cashing a check at check cashing store it has to be from a U.S. Bank and verifiable. If it is a paycheck then the employer is mandated to deduct taxes. Immigrants get a Tax Identification Number from the IRS to file taxes if they don't have a SS number. I know a number of people in this category, green card, no SS, but pay taxes and cash the checks at a check cashing place. To condemn all on your shortsighted prejudicial beliefs is a sign of your underlying bigotry

Larry, go to Chester. You will see the difference I promise you..

pampurr pampurr
Dec '15

Positive- I don't agree with what Larry is saying and I'm certainly not racist. I asked if I would feel safe and comfortable going into shops that I'm not used to going into. That was all.

Maybe you should learn some facts before you make rediculous assumptions. I didn't know enough facts, which is why I asked that question. You assume I am a racist for saying that, I didn't simply say "I don't go into hispanic stores because I'll be discriminated against", I was just curious.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

I guess Larry never heard of the Ironbound Section of Newark.

darwin darwin
Dec '15

I do have to agree about the barber shops. There are at least 5, not counting the salons. I just never saw so many in one close area before and just wonder how they make it with all of the competition.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Dec '15

1988LJ you are 28 years old, which makes you too old to be this naïve,

darwin darwin
Dec '15

Five Barber Shops within two blocks? That is a cash only business. hmmmmm.

pampurr pampurr
Dec '15

pampurr

Yeah, should be counting Pizza shops, which is a historically notorious "cash business";-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '15

Oh God Pam give it a rest.

1) Main St is more than 2 blocks long
2) There are 3 count them 3 barber shops on Main St in Hackettstown

Bucci, Downtown Barber and Jacks!!!

darwin darwin
Dec '15

There is also the one with the two statues of Liberty. I know that is not directly on Main Street but close still.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Dec '15

The barber with the Statues of Liberty is in Independence not Hackettstown. I worked in Chester, ever ride through Main St. Chester at 7:30:am? Looks very similar to Hackettstown's Main St. In the morning. I think Hackettstown with its resturants and new and upcoming shops and yes, even it's diversity is a good town to live or visit. Just my opinion.

Hoping Hoping
Dec '15

I know the owner personally that owns that Barber Shop in Independence..Great guy by the way.!

All new shops across from Shop Rite in Chester and very upscale and classy. Great sales too..Way to go Chester! Love the diversity in that shopping area!!

pampurr pampurr
Dec '15

It's not the barbers, it's the nail salons.

Now if barbers could learn to do nails or vice-versa, then you would have a cash business.......

What's wrong with a cash business anyway? When did cash get a dirty name?

Dec '15

Thanks Pampurr for the info. I'm also liking Denville. There's a wonderful bakery and a holistic market right next to each other. I'll take a drive to Chester. As far as Main St Hackettstown...I enjoy shopping the Trinity Thrift Shop and I love the smoothies at the Health Food Store.they are very tasty and healthy. Also Hackettstown Pet and Tickners.oh...can't forget my buddy Tracey :). If the person working the store or resteraunt is not friendly towards me; I will never go back. I'm not obligated to spend my money there.turn your back to me and I'm right back out the door. The people at Mama's are very friendly.also...that little shop to the left of Hackettstown pet is pretty good. They are very nice people and ai bought some beautiful chimes in there.

angelina angelina
Dec '15

Cash is the way to go.
Look at Japan & China.

happiest girl
Dec '15

strangerdanger

Unfortunately it's because of a lot of tax-evading activity, whether real or imagined. Funny thing is, since my sister & her husband were looking into buying a pizzeria, they found that even the banks "know" that the sales "on paper" are less than the actual sales claimed by the business and there were "adjustments" for that.

The same goes for soft serve ice cream businesses where the lack of "air content" of the mix can be claimed as why they don't make as much profit on what estimates of their purchased mixes would seem to infer. Any restaurant business in fact, but those two are some of the easiest to hide or launder money through.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '15

I've received discounts when paying in cash (vs check or credit card) for car repairs, auto body work, a granite counter top, furnace/ac repair, and roofing. Not one of those businesses was owned and operated by a minority. I guess the hispanic immigrants alluded to by Larry aren't the only ones cheating the system. THE HORROR!!!

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '15

1988: Would love to hear how you're going to backpedal to reconcile these two comments. YOU FIRST WROTE:

Do those HISPANIC STORES on Main Street sell to WHITE customers? I've seen some really interesting gifts in a few of those storefronts but I'm nervous to go in since I DON'T PARTICULARLY WANT TO BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST.

And then this:

Positive- I don't agree with what Larry is saying and I'm certainly not racist. I asked if I would feel safe and comfortable going into shops that I'm not used to going into. That was all. NO, YOU SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED HISPANIC STORES IN YOUR INITIAL POST, NOT STORES YOU WEREN'T USED TO GOING INTO.

YOU WENT ON: Maybe you should learn some facts before you make rediculous (YOUR INCORRECT SPELLING, NOT MINE) assumptions. I didn't know enough facts, which is why I asked that question. You assume I am a racist for saying that, I didn't simply say "I DON'T GO INTO HISPANIC STORES BECAUSE I'LL BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST", I was just curious.

"I don't go into Hispanic stores because I'll be discriminated against is EXACTLY what your first post said. You can backpedal and try to revise, but everyone understood precisely what you were asking.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Dec '15

summerrain- I didn't assume immediately that I would be mistreated, I was asking if I would. That was my point, I didn't want to miss out if there was no reason to.

On a much happier note, I recently walked past "OSA Electronics". What a cool store! It looks like they have all sorts of arcade machines, jukeboxes and things like that. Very exciting.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

Right on, 1988LJ. Sounds like cool fun items in that place. Do they negotiate?

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Back in the day Osa's was a great hangout for all kinds of arcade games....spent many a days and money there,late 70s to early 80s that was the place to be !

I have not eaten for 36 hours and starving after having had surgery very early this morning. I tried to find restaurants that are open New Year's Day in Hackettstown, but my favorites like Stella G's and Prickly Pear are closed. Any ideas? Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Yes, I can cook to maintain my sustenance, but I can barely walk right now and would appreciate a skilled chef and waiter/waitress to do it for me this time.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Best of luck DannyC Hope you find somewhere good to go. Just cooked up some liver for myself & the dog. No onions, no cooked til shoe leather stage, just nice & tender w/delicate flavor. The furry one loved it too;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '15

Sounds good, I love liver, especially as you described it, but I don't have any in the fridge, only the onions. Besides, I want the treat of being cooked for and served, just this one time. If there is a "pet bag", my longhaired cat will go nuts. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

I saw that TOPO was opened and I got food about 2 hrs ago from mezza house to go

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Dec '15

DannyC - The two I know of for sure that are open tomorrow are Gabby's and Hong Kong Palace. They advertised that on their doors over the past week. I just checked and Sub Shack is open 11-3 as well.

Go over to the New Years Eve plans instead of this thread. What''s open has been discussed over there.

GC: Sub Shack. Yes, they have everything. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Till they run out of rolls - love that place !

skippy skippy
Dec '15

Re: Great Stores & Restaurants on Main Street in Hackettstown

WOW...All this talk about barbershops, if only it was all good....I don't know who you are Pampurr, but I own the barber shop in Independence and I am A WOMEN the last time I checked. You said you personally know the owner????
And hes a great GUY??? Also you stated that we are all CASH...Hmmmm. What do you think we do ?

I can only speak for myself, but my shop is a straight up barbershop...no funny business.
Why don't you stop by and really check out my shop and meet me? check out the picture...its me shaving my customer

Jan '16

Pampurr has been outted!

Since you like Chester so mush Pampurr why don't you move there?

I have to applaud the ones who posted on this thread against 1988. His post made me sick. Shame on him!

I happen to frequent many of the Hispanic stores mentioned above. The only ones are the Barbers. They are all busy so they must be doing something right.

I wonder if someone said something like 1988 said "Do those HISPANIC STORES on Main Street sell to WHITE customers? I've seen some really interesting gifts in a few of those storefronts but I'm nervous to go in since I DON'T PARTICULARLY WANT TO BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST"

and replaced it with Do those WHITE STORES on Main Street sell to Hispanic customers? I have seen some really interesting gifts in a few of those storefronts but I'm nervous to go in since I DON'T PARTICULARLY WANT TO BE DISCRIMANATED AGAINST. Who would speak out? This whole conversation has a bad taste! Its thinking like this that sets us behind.

Christine Christine
Jan '16

Excuse me wrong barbershop...hmmmmm..have to come in and say Hello~

pampurr pampurr
Jan '16

Amen Larry!

HHS75
Jan '16

Darwin,

"...never heard of the Ironbound Section of Newark". If there is one area better than Main Street Hackettstown for food, this is it. Bouillabaisse!

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I tried out Rico Pan based on the information here. It was VERY good. Much better than the franchise tex/mex places on Route 57.

Hot under the collar
Jan '16

Christine..Outed because I go to Chester to shop? I use to shop in your store prior to you moving out of Hackettstown to Washington. What is your problem?

pampurr pampurr
Jan '16

My father and I caught huge blue crabs in the Hackensack river before the ******** chemical plant polluted it with mercury. My grandma cooked them by the dozens. I understand the river has now been thoroughly cleaned up and the crabs are back. But even my grandma (from Naples) could not cook as well as the chefs in the Ironbound Section of Newark. Their bouillabaisse has everything from fresh and sea water in it, simmered in sauce with veggies and spices for half a day...fabulous food! I would welcome some of these Portuguese chefs starting a new restaurant in Hackettstown.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

And then there is Bayonne, where the pizza parlors compete to see who can make the thinnest pizza. IMO, the thinner the better, so that you can taste the sauce, cheese and toppings, without all that bread. Who has the best pizza in the Hackettstown area?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

DannyC- I'm probably going to be laughed out of the place here, but I think the best pizza is from any Frank's Pizza-the one in Mansfield, the one on Stiger street, the one near the former Mount Olive A&P, they're all great.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jan '16

I just went to Pandan Room last night and I'm not an adventurous person when it comes to food but every thing was absolutely delicious! From the crisps on the table to the appy's, the variety of ice teas and of course the entrees, they were all wonderful. I had Mongolian beef with rice and my dining partners had barbecue ribs, tuna with noodles, lamb shank, and avocado salad. Yum!

The best pizza in Hackettstown is at the Taphouse Grille - thin & crispy with inventive toppings!

Never disappointed when my hubby and I go there..always good "The Pandan Room"

pampurr pampurr
Jan '16

Donnabelle57- what is the name of your shop? My hubbie would love your shop!

mom of one mom of one
Jan '16

Hat's off to Marley's. Nice old style room with original tin ceiling, good service and great wings.

Jan '16

Old tyme barbershop on 46 - with the two big Statue of Liberty statues out front

skippy skippy
Jan '16

Mom of one...My shop is Olde' Tyme Barber Shop...just out of Hackettstown on Rt 46. Just look for the 2 statues of liberty...they flank my drive. Lots of parking ...open M-F 9am-5:30pm and Sat 8am-3...Always have 2 barbers on. thanks for the interest

Jan '16

Follow along pampurr. I know its hard but you claim you knew the Independence Barber Shop with the statue of Liberty. She doesn't know you! All of a sudden its a different one. LOL

Christine Christine
Jan '16

Bella's pizza and restaurant have the best pizza around! It is in Patriot's Plaza across from the Honda dealership.

Sport
Jan '16

Just came back from a very good Mexican dinner at Emma's on Main Street. It's in the same block as Ashley's. It's the 4th time we've been there, and it's been consistently very good. One of us is a strict Vegetarian. I don't think there is anything Vegetarian on the menu; but we request, and they prepare an excellent Vegetarian Burrito that comes with a nice size fresh side salad for $7.00. All I can say is Yum and BYOB if you want beer or wine!!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jan '16

Another find on Main Street: Hackettstown Pet Supply. Check the thread "Are you Feeding the Birds?" Very helpful for a novice winter bird and animal lover.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Emma's is great!

Sport
Jan '16

Re: Great Stores & Restaurants on Main Street in Hackettstown

Another display of the great place to eat Hackettstown is. (and only getting better) Puts other places to shame.

Here's my Winterfest 2016 haul for the day:

C&L - Chili (also were selling Italian wedding soup)
Antojitos - Chicken stew (also were selling chili and southwest chicken soup)
Fruitimex - Beef stew
Hackettstown Healthfood - Lentil soup (also bought apple sausage pasta that was not part of Winterfest)
Enjoy Creperie - Mozarella and tomato crepe
Topo - Ginger chicken & lemongrass fried rice
Tracey's - Fudge
Mezza - Chili
Stella G's - Chili (also had split pea soup)
Demi's - Brownie's

Not pictured:

Marley's - bacon & potato soup
Emma's - a generously sized chicken noodle soup served with chips & salsa

Lots of chili there. Which one did you like the best?

Hot under the collar
Feb '16

Lots of chili because it's the chili & soup contest. All of the chili was good although I wish there was some made without beans. The very, very tough call narrowly goes to C&L. I really liked Mezza's spices and I really liked the balance of Stella G's.

Of the soups I chose Antojitos. Hackettstown Healthfood's lentil was the runner up for me even though I was really pulling for it. Marley's bacon potato gets an honorable mention.

GC

Was today a $2 taste at all the restaurants in Hackettstown? Is that what your haul was? From your photo it looks like a good deal $. I heard about it today when I got my hair done in town. Wish I knew I could get take out from each restaurant, if that's the case. I agree. Lots of great restaurants in Hackettstown.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Feb '16

Yes, Chickadee, $2 deals at a dozen restaurants plus the brewery, candy store, pet stores, and others had specials. That's the "haul" in the picture. While you were in town, beeping at me, and getting your hair done, I was off making the rounds at all those places. Now I'm eating good for the next 4 days. ;-)

Only two weren't really prepared to take it with you. I tried to eat one as I walked but had to take my Icelandic wool glove off and boy was I sorry...

Hi everyone,
Has anyone heard anything on who won the winter fest contests for the soup and chili.

So I heard that Mezza House won the chili contest. C & L Subs N GRUB won the soup contest.

I had my first Stella G's scone this morning. It was freaking amazing. Delicious.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Mar '16

@ Tracy: I always have a Stella G's scone when we go there for breakfast. I think she makes them year round.....not just for St. Patrick's Day. They are amazing!

joyful joyful
Mar '16

Hackettstown Health Foods is moving! I stopped in yesterday and heard the good news.

Hackettstown Health Foods is presently located at 199 Main Street and will be moving right around the corner to the old Warren Reporter building directly across from Pandan Room.

She has spent some good time renovating, painting walls, and installing new flooring. There will be a main room for her store, a second room for a smoothie and coffee bar (yah!), and another room that will evolve into a spiritual room. The new place is really taking shape and looks great. She is expecting to have all her inventory moved by Friday.

Stop in to see Uzma and wish her well. She is truly a wonderful asset to Hackettstown; she is thoughtful and very knowledgeable so I am very excited for her new venture.

Hickory Dog Hickory Dog
Aug '16

This is great news about Hackettstown Health Foods. I've always been treated incredibly well there and the owner's knowledge is excellent. I am so relieved they are staying in town.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Aug '16

I am in there at least once a week

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

I'm there not nearly enough. ;-)

You all don't realize how lucky you are to still live in H'town. I live in the Midwest and miss so many of the places that I have seen mentioned here. At least next summer I know I will be walking up town a LOT to visit a lot of the new places. And definitely Sub Shack and rubbing it in to my husband Brian that I went there and he didn't. Love my H'Town visits and also looking at all the beautiful houses in the area.

Momma Mo Momma Mo
Aug '16

Can't wait for your visit Momma Mo!

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

Bumping up an old thread here, but I had to share my "perfect Saturday" on Main St. It wasn't my first time at any of these establishments, but the ways the stars aligned it was too great not to share...

Breakfast at Stella G's (bought extra scones to bring home)
Restyle Consignment store - some beautiful costume jewelry and a vintage 1950's hat (that I did wear the rest of the day)
Trinity Thrift Store - Scored a Kate Spade Cardigan for $4! Among other treasures
From Me to You consignment store - some jewelry and a Kate Spade bag to match my sweater - not quite $4, but a huge bargain!
Ended the spree with a big bag of candy from Tracey's (peanut butter cups!!!!)

And my favorite thing about all these places were the interactions we had with the people in the stores.... chatting all things vintage and fashion at Restyle, ran into someone we worked with years ago who was volunteering at Trinity, hung out at Me to You discussing everything and anything for at least 20 minutes after we were done shopping - both with staff and other customers who came in. Of course the weather didn't hurt, but it was just so lovely to shop in these stores and to walk out with some unique things (love the vintage things in Restyle) - you just never know what you may find!

This was the first time my friend had been in many of these stores and she enjoyed it so much, she can't wait until we can do it again.

Love Main St!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Oct '17

Had lunch at Stella G's on Sunday. The short rib sandwich, so delicious!

Tracy Tracy
Oct '17

Does anyone know if Stella G's is going to open again?

happiest girl
Jun '20

Right now Stella G's only has 2 outdoor tables so i would guess it's not worth them opening. I (as a member of the parking authority) have reached out to the BID to see if Stella G's would be interested in blocking off a portion of the parking lot to put tables for both them and Davila's. I don't have an update yet.

Jim L Jim L
Jun '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.