Seeking properties to metal detect on

Seeking properties to metal detect on

No, I am not joking. No, this is not a scam.

For our anniversary, my wife bought me a metal detector. I followed the instructions on the video which told me to use it in my yard to learn, stating you never know what you are going to find. Well, they were not lying. I have found awesome stuff- and I am hooked on the hobby.

You can find all sorts of stuff, but I like finding coins because they have a date..and knowing someone held them at some point in time. I've had the detector since Sept, and I have found well over 100 coins locally.

In my yard alone I found an 1858 quarter, 1897 nickel, a 1906 penny, a 1943 quarter, a 1963 half dollar and unbelievably a 1775 British half penny- which blows my mind because it is older than our country.

Now the first thing people say when I talk to them about this hobby- have you had them appraised?- they think you are going to strike it rich. WRONG. Most coins aren't worth much at all unless they are 'uncirculated'. The most valuable coin I found is worth about $30 retail- which means if I bring it to a coin dealer, I would probably be offered $10-12 for it. My 2nd most valuable coin found is worth about $6 retail. So I'd probably get $2-3. Not worth my time or gas. Or the many hundreds of dollars I have in equipment.

That being said, I have found over 100 semi- modern coins. They are all worth face value, which is, well- pocket change. But I like the hunt. You never know what you are going to find- and it is a relaxing afternoon. There are worse hobbies to have.

The next thing people think is that you have to dig huge holes, and tear up the yard. Also wrong.

Modern detectors are capable of 'pinpointing' down to directly over the target. You pinpoint- then 'cut a plug' with a small gardening trowel. You flip the plug out of the hole and most of the time the coin is only a few inches down - so within the plug. If you need to go deeper, you put down a towel and put any extra dirt on it, so once you are done searching you use the towel like a funnel and pour the dirt back into the hole. You then put the plug back into the hole and step on it. You really can't tell that anyone was there at all.

Still with me? Here is my offer. If you allow me to detect on your property, I will give you any coins I find that are dated in the last 50 years. You never know what you are going to find. The last coin I found (which was not in my yard) was a British pound from 1985- with the current exchange rate it is worth $1.50- again more cool than valuable...but you have a decent chance of me finding enough for you to buy some beer.

I don't care what the property is- a yard, woods, field, parking lot, curb strip, you name it, I'll hit it for you. I love this hobby. :)

Nice seated Liberty Quarter Josh! Josh is entirely right about the non-destructiveness of proper and ethical behavior in the Detectorist's hobby. I applaud him for the creative method of attempting to find new areas on which to hunt, since State and National Parks are off-limits, the exception being Lake Hopatcong's beach area (only during certain times of the year as well as with a park office issued permit). I know that when my ex and I started off we had difficulty finding open areas, especially before the internet gained popularity.

Best of luck to Josh and anyone willing to allow him to hunt on their property!

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '15

Wow, that is really cool.

My friend's husband (a very cheap man) has one and every summer when they have their vacation at the Jersey shore, he takes his metal detector and goes under the boardwalk each morning and finds all the coins people drop. That is his kids' spending money for the day. He makes a fortune. He divides the money between the kids, but sometimes he gets so much, he doesn't give it all to them because he feels it's more money than they need to spend on the boardwalk. It is a very profitable "hobby" for him!

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Dec '15

@ Josh, I am actually looking for a metal detector for my husband for Christmas, he's been wanting one for so long..lol what kind did you get? Is it expensive? I really don't want to spend a fortune, but would like it to work well.

Iluvsnow
Dec '15

Nice Josh. I just pulled an old metal detector out of my mom's basement to try and find my wedding ring. Lost it doing yard work. I should definitely run it over my yard. My property was originally part of a farm from the early 1700's and our property is very close to the original barn/paddock. I'll have to see if my metal detector is any good.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '15

@ lluvsnow, depends on what you consider expensive. I started on a Garrett Ace 350 which is on the upper end of lower level units. I upgraded to a Garrett AT Pro in about 6 weeks which is probably one of the most popular detectors sold. I bought it used. I also bought a Garret GTI2500 used, which is considered a higher end, but old school model as it has been out for a looong time.

I'd say go on Ebay and type in Garrett Ace to see what is available. The 150 is less than $200 new, the 250 around $200 and the 350 is about $300.

After spending considerable time in the field with different units, I would suggest not getting anything less than the 350 or else you will just end up wanting to upgrade quickly. The DD search coil on the 350 is worth the price increase over the 250. After also having used much more expensive detectors than the 350, and many different size and style of search coils- I would say the Ace350 will find 95% of what is in the ground. The more expensive detectors and coils just get that little extra bit of depth or discrimination.

Be aware that I am talking about searching in a yard or park. If you want to search at the beach, it requires a more expensive detector due to the effect of salt water in the wet sand. Also be aware that the extras that go along with a detector can add up as well- better digging tools, hand held pinpointer tools, etc.

@Meister- I can help- if the ring is in your yard, I can find it. I have 3 different detectors, and 7 search coils- allowing for some pretty serious search capabilities.

Thanks Josh. Actually, I can't be sure it is in my yard as I hauled off the yard waste to recycling, so it could just as well be there. If it's where I think it's a small search area and my detector should find it. Appreciate it.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '15

Iluvsnow

My ex also has a Garrett metal detector. If they're wary of buying used and would like to buy from a place with a warranty, great customer service, etc. then have them check out Kellyco, which is where we'd gotten my ex's:

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/

They have good combo deals on all the "stocking stuffer" trimmings together with the detectors themselves so you can get the add ons at the same time as the detector as a package.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '15

@ Josh and Phil D, thank you so much for your information, when I started investigating detectors, I was getting very confused...now I have a good place to start! This was perfect timing for your post!

Iluvsnow
Dec '15

Re: Seeking properties to metal detect on

Ok guys, time for an update. Thanks to an anonymous member of this forum who contacted me, I was granted permission to search a yard in Hackettstown today.

The yard had a bunch of nails and scrap, which to those that don't know can 'mask' a good signal (meaning an iron nail can have a stronger signal than a coin) so the detector only sees the nail and not the coin.

People who find a good area will often spend many hours cleaning the area of ANY signal, just to be sure that no iron is masking good finds.

That being said, I took my time in the half of the yard I had permission to search (duplex) and still found several coins. I have never been to a yard yet that I have not found a coin.

As promised- I left any coin I found that was dated in the last 50 years. Today that totaled 8 pennies, 2 dimes, and a nickel. I was surprised as I usually find a bunch of quarters. Oh yea- and a marble.

I'm attaching the pic of those here, and then will continue since it only lets me post a single pic on this forum-

The older coins I brought home tallied 3. Two I knew by looking at them were wheat pennies, I just didn't know the date by looking at them dirty (copper doesn't do well in the ground)...and the other coin was larger..

I knew it had to be old, but it was caked in dirt so I had no idea what it was. Turned out to be a one dollar piece from 1870. It is in bad shape (expected for 145 years old) and has a hole drilled in it which seems to be pretty common from back then..internet folklore says people would wear their coins on a string instead of putting them in a pocket or pouch. Lots of metal detecting guys online finding coins with holes drilled.

I am happy with the day- the weather was fantastic for December, and finding a cool old coin is always an adventure.

If anyone else wants to find out what is in their yard, just let me know.

Found my first jewelry ever today- silver chain and pendant.

The weather is nice this weekend if anyone is interested.

Josh did a great job searching our property. No mess left behind and it was interesting to see what he found. Anybody interested should contact him...highly recommend the results.

animal lover animal lover
Dec '15

Josh, with this turn out, you should offer metal detecting services. Let people pay you to search their yard and they keep what you find, or even set up a split (much like land leasers do on gold mines)

Darrin Darrin
Dec '15

Darrin,

There is no business model outside of the occasional person that might have lost a important ring, etc. It takes many hours to search even a small yard correctly, and most of the time all you find is a small amount of modern pocket change- last 50 years.

At this point, I've found probably about 300 coins, less than 10 of them are anything interesting (I'm not counting wheat pennies as interesting) and only 4 of them are worth anything (silver). That 1870 dollar is currently my best coin. For fun, I contacted a reputable coin shop- they offered me $20 for it.

The guys that see any real return are the retired guys that hit the beach several times a week finding gold rings and chains. Of course they are still putting in a lot of hours between each decent find. So that being said- I'm not in this hobby to make money. I enjoy the mystery and surprise.

Last weekend, in my yard, I hit a small but solid deep signal. I dug down until my pinpointer was flush with the grass..and I pulled out a very small round muddy brown ball. I figured it must be some sort of old bullet as I have found those before. I almost threw it out, but for some reason I brought it in the house to take a closer look.

I showed it to my wife who was cooking and asked her what she thought it was. Bullet she said. I nodded in agreement, and went to the sink to wash it off.

It took quite a bit of work with water and a toothpick but much to my amazement it is what I believe to be a small colonial button. Something so simple makes all the hours worth it. One swing changes everything. Pic attached.

Thanks Josh, for posting all this information. I've been wanting a metal detector for a long time. I want to get one that can go in water, to. Sounds expensive, so when you find your million dollar treasure, don't forget me...LOL.
Hey... good luck with your cool hobby and happy holidays!

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Dec '15

Sparks, almost any detector is waterproof on the search coil end- it is only the control box end by your hand that is not waterproof.

Just don't drop it in the stream or lake where you are searching. :) They make simple rain covers for the control boxes, or you can just stick a plastic bag over it if you want to look in the rain. Also, there are plenty of good detectors for relatively cheap used on Craigslist or Ebay. Even if you spend $200-$250 on a used detector and equipment, you can find that back in your first year easily if you devote the time.

I've have some good days where I have found 50-60+ coins in a day, in a few hours at the local parks- granted that they are mostly pennies and dimes with a few quarters here and there- but even if that amounts to $5-$6.. even if you did that once a week without ANY other better finds, you paid yourself back. In fact- what other hobby earns its keep?

Salt water, as mentioned is a different story- but although the detectors are more expensive for salt, you have a MUCH greater chance of finding something worth much more (gold) - off setting the cost of the equipment much quicker.

**My new default end response in this thread- Anyone who reads this and thinks it is interesting, please respond to the post. Ideally someone else will always respond so the system will be open for me in the future. The software on this forum won't allow me to post again unless someone else does first- which means if I go to a new hunt and find something cool, I can't share it with you guys/gals until someone else posts- which they probably won't do if they never see this thread or it looses interest. Thanks!! - Josh

I too am a hobby metal detecorest I have a Garrett at pro. It's completely water proof up to 8' under water it is a little experience but we'll worth it. Lots of cool places here in hackettstown to look for old stuff. Sorry I will not give up my hot spots. Good luck and have fun Josh

Reedie Reedie
Dec '15

Josh, I've got a good bit of property (mostly wooded, some trails, some grass fields) you're welcome to hunt around on. I've also a couple things I want to find out more about on the property, how deep could you follow a piece of buried pipe? Theres one that looks like it used to drain into the pond, but I have no idea where it comes from...

Brendan Brendan
Dec '15

Have you tried at Alumni field near that concrete slab by the river? Right near the sawed off telephone pole? That used to be the snack bar, bet there are some coins there.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '15

Brendan,

I have numerous detectors and coils of various capabilities, including what they call a double box setup that can detect large items down several feet. It should have no problem following your pipe, if I even need to go that extreme. I think my other detectors and coils can probably hit it. Just let me know your address (PM me if you don't want to post it publicly)

I haven't been out anywhere recently because of the weather, and lack of sun. It isn't fun once the temp drops below 50, and I hate rain. Oh, and the sun sets so early- but today is the shortest day of the year so it is all uphill from here!!

hktownie- no I haven't been there. I am not sure of hackettstown's rules on detecting in public parks- some towns allow it, some don't. Does anyone know?

I'm off work on Thursday, if anyone who has offered doesn't mind since it is Christmas Eve day. I have plans in the late afternoon..but my morning through say 1-1:30pm is free as far as I know.

**My new default end response in this thread- Anyone who reads this and thinks it is interesting, please respond to the post. Ideally someone else will always respond so the system will be open for me in the future. The software on this forum won't allow me to post again unless someone else does first- which means if I go to a new hunt and find something cool, I can't share it with you guys/gals until someone else posts- which they probably won't do if they never see this thread or it looses interest. Thanks!! - Josh

I would welcome you to my property but unfortunately my 5 year old nephew beat you to it last Christmas. Sorry, but good luck!

1988LJ 1988LJ
Dec '15

Josh.... thanks so much for all the info you gave me. Sorry this response is a little late. I haven't been on the computer for a while. I hope you and you're family have a wonderful holiday season. Happy, prosperous new year!

Dec '15

1988LJ, you would be amazed. It is extremely easy to miss a signal. If you hit them from a different angle you can get a different reading. If you swing at a different speed or are just off by an inch- different or no reading. Different equipment also has different results. I've gone over my own yard countless times, and I still continue to find stuff. I'm open to looking at the yard for you again. Thanks.

Can't wait to see what you find next.....

Sunshine Sunshine
Dec '15

Me to! Pretty picture, Sunshine. I wish I were there.

Dec '15

As mentioned- I am free tomorrow morning / lunch, but I haven't heard back from anyone who offered their land. ??

Thanks- Josh

Central to Darren - on the air ? Maybe you guys can detect on your pa property

skippy skippy
Dec '15

Hey Josh,

Not sure if it's permissible but what about the old Greyhound bus depot on Rt 46 in Belvidere across the street from Luigi's Rancho?? It was known as the Greyhound Post House back in the day. All that remains today I believe is a partial concrete floor slab. The postcard is from 1950. Probably some coins and who knows what else to be found there!

Hey Josh this hobby of yours sounds very cool! I'd let ya search our property but I'd have to find out the rules as I live in Panther Valley in a townhouse. Happy Holidays!

Hi everyone,

Looks like the weather will be mild tomorrow. I received offers from a few people to search their yards, but never heard back??

I'd like to get out tomorrow if anyone sees this- just let me know. Thanks.

I've decided 50 is about the temp cutoff. I went to a house in Long Valley a few weeks ago- the temp was low 40's. I spent a few hours walking around the yard- found nothing at all and froze my fingers and nose. :)

The weather was mild yesterday, right about 50. So I went to a house in Hackettstown that I had never been to before. A member of this forum was nice enough to let me search her yard.

I didn't find anything interesting, but I had fun trying. I searched probably 80% of the yard pretty thoroughly.

Found a bunch of scrap as usual- pieces of building materials, pieces of cans and bottle caps, and for some odd reason I kept finding parts of Christmas lights.

The coin find for the day was- 5 quarters, 3 dimes, 4 nickels, and 26 pennies. There was also a bridge token. All just modern normal pocket change stuff. Still fun trying. Pic attached.

If anyone else has a place I can search, please let me know.

**My new default end response in this thread- Anyone who reads this and thinks it is interesting, please respond to the post. The software on this forum sometimes won't allow me to post again unless someone else does first- which means if I go to a new hunt and find something cool, I can't share it with you guys/gals until someone else posts- which they probably won't do if they never see this thread or it looses interest. Thanks!! - Josh

Have you tried over at the SandBar park in Hackettstown by the concrete slab where the old snack bar used to be? There should be a bunch of coins there. Its right by the river, there's still half a telephone pole nearby left over from when electricity was there for the snack bar.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '16

Have you tried by Elsie's old bar on waterloo rd also the Morris Canal ran past that area also there is a path near waterloo village that has the ruins of very old stone building's that were active during the Morris Canal time

Janster Janster
Feb '16

You can metal detect on mine. Should be stuff to find as my house was built in 1890. I also lost a ring in my back yard in 2007 and never did find it. There was a dump in the corner of my property that I found a few silver quarters from the 1940's just under the surface when I was digging to plant a few rose bushes.

Not sure if I have any buried treasures but you are more than welcome to do some detecting.

My dad had a metal detector and found all sorts of things, including a medal from WWII that someone lost.

Laurel Laurel
Feb '16

You can come do mine too Josh! It's only a 1/2 acre but the tax rolls go back to 1880 and my house is on them. I think maybe 1860?

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

Hi,
Thanks for the offers. I just need the address. I'll start doing research on old maps while the weather is cold. As soon as a day has a temp of 50 or so, I'll be there. :)

For the other people suggesting places- there are tons of old places around, but you can't just go anywhere and start digging. Easy way to get arrested. You need permission.

It's going to start warming up keep us updated on your finds.

The Man The Man
Feb '16

Sure thing. I am excited to get back out as much as possible.

Seems silly, but it is an adventure- a slow quiet adventure, but it reminds me of being a child, like watching Goonies again when they are on their treasure hunt.

For those that offered and gave me their address- the weather may be good enough this weekend, so don't be surprised to see me on your grass.

To those that offered in this thread, but never contacted me with an address- please do.

Thanks- Josh

**My new default end response in this thread- Anyone who reads this and thinks it is interesting, please respond to the post. The software on this forum sometimes won't allow me to post again unless someone else does first- which means if I go to a new hunt and find something cool, I can't share it with you guys/gals until someone else posts- which they probably won't do if they never see this thread or it looses interest. Thanks!! - Josh

Janster (and Josh)

Elsie's and the old stone foundations that you see along Waterloo Rd. are mostly all in Stephen's State Park and metal detecting in any State Park other than designated places, such as the beach at Lake Hopatcong (and only during certain times) and some other State Park beaches is illegal and can get you cited at the very least and possibly arrested, depending on who you run into. If you check into it however, you may find that there is a college, university or historical society that is involved in excavation and/or renovation of an area and you possibly could get an invite to work with them.

Believe me, I think Elsie's would likely be a treasure trove of finds, BUT... .

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '16

It's Friday- I am home from work- the weather is supposed to be GREAT (for Feb) this weekend. I am looking forward to getting out and beeping around.

I'll be sure to let you guys/gals know anything cool I find. :)

And if anyone has even the smallest area I can sweep, even if it is just a curb strip, or around a tree.. I don't mind. Woods, stream, you name it... there is cool stuff everywhere. Even the smallest patch of ground next to some business, road, sidewalk, you name it. There are actually guys online that look for sidewalks getting ripped up and scan them before the new concrete is pored.

I hit my yard again for an hour after work on Wed and found 2 more old square blacksmith made nails.

Yesterdays results. The weather was great, but I was surprised at how frozen the ground was. It was like digging through asphalt. I had to chip away bit by bit and bent my shovel trying to pry the dirt. Recovering a coin 2-3 inches down is usually quick and easy- not yesterday!

I didn't find very much modern coins yesterday- just 3 quarters, 2 pennies, and 12 dimes.

I did luck out and find an old coin by the sidewalk. 1853 quarter. Pretty cool.

Pic attached. Thanks- Josh

Nice find, on the 1853 quarter. Makes you wonder how it got lost in the first place.

Keep posting. Very interesting.

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

Glad you found something Josh. Keep on hunting.

Feb '16

Josh,

Did you clean that coin ? Just curious.

Rock
Feb '16

Never clean coins.... made that mistake when I was a kid, before I knew better. It will devalue the coin. Your 1853 quarter is worth between $30 &$60+ depending on the condition. Excellent condition? Upwards of around several hundreds. Good job, Josh. I love reading about your finds. I can't wait to get a metal detector. Had to buy a snow blower, instead....uuuggg.....

Feb '16

No, it is still just as it was when I pulled it out of the ground.

But is already turning darker & grayish just sitting on my desk.

I don't put much faith into online value estimates. Try to actually get a person or coin shop to pay you and see what happens. I might get $10-12 for it.

To really be 'worth something' coins need to be in great shape- which means not pulled out of the ground IMO- and even then, you would need to send the coin off to be professionally graded and cased. Problem is, the cost to get it graded is as much as the coin is worth even in nice shape.

The cleaning topic is always a debate when you read online. Doesn't matter much to me as I don't plan on ever selling my coins. So it all depends on the person - if someone wants to display them and prefers a cleaner coin, that is their choice.

The biggest chuckle I get is that the coin grading place that frowns upon cleaning does 'restoration' (cleaning) on the coins before they grade and seal them. So the true answer is not to NEVER clean coins- it is just that 99.9% of people do more damage than good.

A couple days ago I met up with a fellow Hackettstownlife member who emailed me and also metal detects.

He seems cool so we are planning on meeting up on Sunday to search somewhere as the weather should be beautiful.

If anybody has a yard, field, etc we can search- please let us know.

My wife even mentioned to me after dinner tonight that she would like to come along one time and learn how to do it. I guess I've found enough cool stuff now that she believes it isn't a waste of time. She got a kick out of the little Matchbox tank I found the other day. It appears to date back to the late 50's-60's so some kid might have lost it 50+ years ago. She also liked the Monopoly top hat piece.

Started watching this kid on youtube - nuggetnoggin who has a channel on his metal detecting exploits. Pretty interesting but seems like a lot of work for very little pay-off but still interesting plus the kid is high energy - worth taking a look.

He is down south and seems to find alot of Civil War stuff & junk as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lyjhYw5wY

Cool video RU, thanks for sharing! :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

I look at EBay to see what they are asking for their coins. Problem is, %99 of the listings are "buy it now ", so it's hard to tell if it sold at that price. Keep up the hunt, Josh. If you see a rainbow, search at both ends! Get that treasure, but more importantly, have fun!!

Feb '16

"seems like a lot of work for very little pay-off but still interesting"

Yes.. it is a slow process. You can spend hours getting nothing but nails and pieces of soda cans.

Some days you get no coins at all. Most days the pocket change hardly covers the cost of the batteries you burn through- much less the cost of the equipment. It isn't about getting rich, that's for sure.

Compared to cars, motorcycles, stereos, this hobby is cheap though. And I like being outside on a nice sunny day. :)

I'm excited to try going out with somebody besides just myself.

A few more from nuggetnoggin - he seems to find a lot of stuff in water, under trees, abandoned houses and farm fields. Keep in mind this kid is in the field for 8 to 10 hours a day - so it's a labor of love not a way to get rich.

Cannonballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-nIRh0Mtmk

Class Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWe5aPadbFc

sparksjbc1964, when you do your search on ebay specify - show only - sold listings, it is a option on the bottom of the left column.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '16

Went out yesterday for a few hours. Dug the normal modern pocket change- couple quarters, couple nickels, a zinc penny or 2.. but also found two coins to make the day worth it- a 1944 'mercury' dime, and a 1818 large cent.

It is a shame that copper doesn't hold up as well as silver in the ground- but I guess it is 198 years old after all. :)

Wow, good find!

Heidi Heidi
Feb '16

Got out for about an hour after work tonight. Found a modern quarter and 2 wheat pennies. In process of cleaning them up to see how old they are.

Both wheats are 1915, what were the odds of that? They are toasted though.. :(

I love this thread!

Me too Res2, if I ever get time for myself I could see this as a neat hobby.

justintime justintime
Mar '16

Big warm up coming next week Josh, hopefully it will thaw the earth a bit and help your digging. Keep us posted!

Hot corner Hot corner
Mar '16

Yes. I am super excited about the upcoming year. This week should be a good one. I'll keep updating the thread. :)

"Detectorists" on netflix - saw this thread earlier and then this British comedy recently aired.

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '16

Got in about an hour after work. Found a 1965 quarter, 2 dimes, and a 1914 wheat penny.

Thanks for the info about EBay, Darren!

Mar '16

Todays finds- nickel, 2 dimes, pocket knife, ax head, and 2 buttons. One flat and plain- the other with an eagle & shield- pic attached.

Cool Josh. I think I have another property for you in Oxford on Mine Hill Rd, I will just double check. I haven't seen the owner of the other locations we spoke about yet.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Thank you. With the weather warming up, I'll be going through search areas pretty quickly so all help and referrals are appreciated. :)

Stopped by the sand bar park today to look around.

The old 'snack bar' that you guys are mentioning- do you mean the large concrete stand out in the water with the KEEP AWAY signs on it? *confused*

Running out of areas to search, other than going over the same spots again from a different angle hoping to get a different signal. :(

Oh, and if anyone wants to join me, even if you don't have your own detector- I welcome some company- even though the actual interaction is limited and in spurts- since I spend most of my time walking around with headphones on. :)

I have a spare detector and gear, and am willing to show someone how to do it- in exchange for either some spot to search, or buy some beers afterwards. :)

Everybody has a yard, what is underneath it?

The concrete slab is on the bank right across from where the old concrete dock is out in the water. On the park/Hackettstown side right by the path. It's starting to crumble away, but if you look for the telephone pole that was cut off at about 4 ft high, that was the pole that held the electrical wires to service the snack bar. That should help you find it.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '16

Went back to the place I found the old wheat pennies again last night after work for a bit.

Found a decent pile of change. Nothing really cool- but did find 3 more wheaties- a 1936, 1917 and 1913.

With as many old wheats as I have found at this spot so far, I am not giving up on the site yet even though I have gone there 4 times already. All the other coins I have found are 'modern' (last 50 years)...but there is still a chance that something older, other than a penny, was dropped.

The area is actually quite challenging. The ground has black shiny rocks in it (I call them hot rocks) that make the detector go nuts. So I am running my smallest coil, to try to get between the signals. But this also makes it extremely time intensive to cover the smallest of areas.

But, I like it. :)

Anybody else?

I have 3 acres on byram sparta border that you can check out!

Its a traditional Its a traditional
Mar '16

Hi Josh. I have another property for you in Oxford. I will PM you the address.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Hi, my neighbor lost a ring in our backyard with sentimental value, would you be interested in helping us find it? We're in Independence.

Sorry, just saw this post. Yes, I can help you find your ring. No promises that I will find it, but no charge for trying as long as I can search the yard for coins. If I find the ring, a couple beers is appreciated. :) just let me know the address. Thanks.

Josh, did I see you detecting on St Mary's property, I believe last Thursday?
If so, did you find anything?

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Yes, that was me.

Unfortunately they were working the area where the building was with their machines so I didn't go in there and bother them. I just walked around the curb strip between the sidewalk and the road.

When they were done working, I walked back but discovered they locked the gate, so I went home.

I didn't find anything interesting- just some modern pocket change. I do like sidewalk curb strips though, and there seems to be a lot of them in Hackettstown so if anyone has them in front of their house and doesn't mind me looking- just let me know.

The weather has been cold, but looks like later this week will be much better.

Josh -

I live in Panther Valley, and last year cleared off some land for a garden. One of the things I dug up was a floor mat that the previous owner put down so that he could run up to the parking lot and avoid the stairs. Also found some small change, under $1. You are welcome to do a quick scan, and anything you find is yours. Please contact me via PM. Good luck.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

Hi Guys / Gals-

I've received some offers, but have not heard back from the owners.

With the weather warming up, I'll be going through search areas pretty quickly so all help and referrals are appreciated. :)

Also- I reached out to the 2 people that wanted me to look for lost rings.. but they haven't set anything up yet.

Looking to get out tomorrow morning, to search with another member of this forum who I have been out with a few times. He is a good guy. No issues.

Anyone have a spot we can scan? Or know someone that they can call?

It doesn't need to be big. For reference- the 2 of us spent about 2 hours in front of the Glen Gardner general store a few weeks ago- and that grass area is probably not even big enough to park a single large car.

Thanks!

Are you interested in coming to Chester to poke around? I have a pre Revolutionary home on a little over 2 acres. Please respond by email. Thanks

Ann Marie Ann Marie
Apr '16

Stopped at a few places yesterday afternoon. Found a handful of coins. None of them interesting.

Total for the day was 2 quarters, 3 dimes, 1 nickel, 12 lincoln pennies, 5 wheaties.

But, the highlight of the day was that I found my first ring. It was next to a sidewalk. 925

Pic attached.

Josh, I believe 925 is Sterling Silver. In any case, nice Celtic knot ring!

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '16

I love this hobby. Never know what you are going to find.

Here is a pic of when I found it. Sorry for the blurry, the phone wouldn't focus because of the sunlight.

Wow very nice find!! I love checking into this thread to check out your latest treasure :)

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '16

Hey Josh,
Would you be interested in coming out to a horse farm and searching? The farm is in Columbia, very close to exit 4. My horses have lost a few shoes over the years and if you were able to find them the farrier can sometimes re-fire them and re-use them for me. A coworker had lent me a rather inexpensive metal detector a few years ago and I tried with no success. The only "catch" you might find is the pastures are all used by horses and therefor they create their own land mines :) You could keep anything you find that's not a horse shoe.

red76nj red76nj
Apr '16

Headed to a house later tomorrow afternoon with a buddy... but am free all day before that- anyone have a spot I can search?

If not, I might just hit the curb strips in Hackettstown by the sidewalks.

Josh you are still welcome to search my land

Janster Janster
May '16

Josh--hoping you can help me, my dog lost her tags. The area is in Hackettstown and I've walked it a few times searching with no luck.
Really hoping I don't need to replace all the tags.

outsider outsider
May '16

Josh, you can search out property if you would like. We are in Diamond Hill in Mansfield. Inbox me if you are interested.

Hello everyone.

Since I last posted, I have been to several spots and have found several hundred modern coins, as well as another silver ring, a 1962 Canadian cent, a buffalo nickel, 3 Indian head cents, 13 wheats, and a cool button and what I believe to be a boy scout badge.

Outsider- I am happy to try to help, but I can't promise how soon I can get there- and please be aware of how a detector works-

Something as large as several dog tags sitting on the ground would almost be as easy to find by eyesight as by me. The detector has to be swung directly over the top of an item...at which point, you could look down and see the tags sitting on the ground. So I am not sure how much help I would be?? The detector looks under the ground- think of it as xray vision- it looks where eyes can't. If the item is of decent size and on top of the ground- the detector doesn't really help anything.

LAS- please send me your address. Thanks!

Pic of some current stuff attached.

I wish this forum had more modern (normal) software that I could insert pictures, or at least attach multiple. Between that limitation and the limit on same poster in a row- is actually quite annoying. Is this 1997?

Thank you Josh, I will search the area again. I do appreciate getting back to me.

outsider outsider
May '16

Over the weekend, I pulled an Indian head penny out of my front yard.

Too corroded to see a date, but they ran from 1856-1909.

Anyone else have a spot, or know anyone they can ask if I can search it?

The sidewalk areas in Hackettstown have been very productive.

Thanks- Josh

Today was a good day. Among the typical pocket modern pocket change, I found another old military button in a hole with a small square nail. I need to clean it up. Also found a 1943 silver merc dime. Pic attached.

But as always.. open to new spots, no matter where or how small.. just let me know.

and please, if you find this interesting, someone please bump the thread, as the system will probably lock me out again for 2 posts in a row. :)

Thanks- Josh

Could you identify what branch of service the button came from? Or its age?
If found with a square nail, I would say it must be old.

Thanks for sharing Josh, very interesting.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

I need to clean it to see some more details. It is definitely old.

Anything new Josh?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Off the top of my head among the modern pocket change- a roller skate token, a bridge token, several wheat pennies, a silver 1948 quarter, a silver 1962 half, and a silver wedding ring with 2 clear stones in it of unknown type. Oh, and some sort of native american styled round thing with a cattle skull on it.

Thanks for the update Josh! Did you ever find out more about that button?

hktownie hktownie
Jul '16

Love seeing what you find!!

Sunshine Sunshine
Jul '16

Hey Josh... just checking up on you. Find anything cool, lately? I enjoy reading your thread.* sigh*... I wish I could afford to get a metal detector. At least I can still feel the thrill, from your findings.
P.S. Glad you got a new motorcycle. hope you're having fun and being safe.
How the heck did you dig that thing out of the ground, anyway? LOL...

Jul '16

Hello everyone.

I haven't been out much lately due to a few factors- mainly the lack of new places to search in the area. There are places I can go that are about an hours drive each way, but that is hard to fit into the schedule.

If I have more local permissions close by, I can go after work or for bit on the weekends between house chores.

Same reason I haven't ridden my dirtbike in forever- no place legal to ride in NJ so I had to trailer it out to PA 2 hours each way. Ended up being a whole day commitment for little actual ride time.

Also, silly as it sounds- I have not found anyone else to join in either activity with me. I have both a spare dirtbike and a spare metal detector. I tried to get my nephew into either activity, he would rather sit and play on his phone. Ugh. No luck with my brother in law, father in law, brother, wife, etc. So I end up doing these things by myself.

The humidity has also been uncomfortably high as well.

Got permission to search at the future site of OMG Burger which is owned by the same people that own the Long Valley Brew pub.

Stopped by each one for a bit on 2 different days, found the same thing at each- a dime and a quarter. Nothing old, and at the brew pub the quarter and dime were both found on the surface, just sitting in the grass. :(

Anyone else have a patch of grass I can search? Especially if by a sidewalk or walkway? :)

BTW- after I post this, the forum will lock me out from posting again unless someone else posts first. I know i haven't found anything interesting lately, but it is not for lack of effort.

Thanks- Josh

Keep on hunting, my friend. I always enjoy reading your finds. I STILL didn't get my metal detector. Not for Christmas, not for my birthday, not even for Mother's day! *sigh*... poor me!

Aug '16

Josh - Always enjoy your posts. You need to stop in and have a beer with my husband and I at the Social Club again. Message me when you want to come by.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Sparks, they aren't prohibitively expensive for the return in enjoyment and yea- pocket change.. a couple hundred bucks will get you started.

Calico- yes, we can do that. Maybe I can convince the wife to come along. :)

I haven't been out much at all lately (still no places to go, despite my best efforts, almost everyone has some grass at their home, but for some reason people distrust or just ignore this hobby).

I did get permission at an old location in Long Valley last week, they said it had been searched before but gave me permission. I spent about an hour there before my allergies kicked my butt- lots of scrap metal, but found a single penny, a 1917 wheat, so I thought that was pretty cool. Better than nothing.

At this point, I have had this hobby for a year now- I have asked and received permission at several local parks, churches, the Oxford fire house, the museum at the old New Hampton school house, a historic bed & breakfast, the Glen Gardner general store, the Long Valley Brew Pub, their future OMG burger location, many private homes, and a historic religious park community in PA.

I have never had a complaint. In fact, most of the people are very interested to see what I find, and have recommended me to other areas that are friends of theirs, etc.

Anyone else? Anybody?.... C'mon. :)

Doesn't need to be anything other than a small patch of grass. Next to a sidewalk, or anywhere- some of my best finds are in the most unexpected places.

The weather is getting nicer, but it won't last- the days are getting shorter already and the temp will drop soon.

Thanks- Josh

I would like to vouch for Josh as a really nice guy. He came to our place and searched it and it was great to meet him and chat for a bit, too. If you're hesitant about having someone over you don't know, don't be. I liked him immediately -- he's just got a good-guy vibe. If you meet him you'll see what I mean. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

Offred once before, but we kept missing each other. Yo are welcome to check my ittle piece of grass/weeds.

Dansker Dansker
Sep '16

Josh
I have been wanting to start that hobby for a long time. Can you recommend a store or brand for metal detectors? What kind to start with? Thanks

We have a place with an old stone foundation... Found quite a bit of stuff.... Would you like to come by? 201 988 3677.

Edward in Drakestown Edward in Drakestown
Sep '16

Dansker and Edward, I just sent you both messages. Thank you.

Tomg- there is a great metal detecting store in Raritan which is only a couple minutes from Bridgewater mall if you know where that is. The owner, Ron, can answer any questions you may have and show you how to use the detectors.

There are a lot of different brands, each with their own fan base, but any detector is better than no detector. :)

I had a great last week. I've received a few new permissions and have gone to a couple places with luck on my side.

I dug 2 silver dimes, one a 1937 'mercury' and a 1946 Roosevelt, 12 wheats, a sterling silver engraved spoon, WWII Army medal, a military button, a George Washington 1732-1932 bicentennial tree placard, a Washington funeral commemorative token and the best for last-

an 1810 large cent, my 2nd oldest coin to date. Awesome.

That is really cool, I guess you never know what your walking on!

Hot corner Hot corner
Sep '16

Yup. There is stuff everywhere- even where you wouldn't expect to find anything.

Josh - Did you ever get to that property on Mine Hill in Oxford?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

The one down the hill from you? Yes, shortly after you sent it. Didn't find a single thing.

Similar to your yard- surprising. Given the age of the town, I figured something would be somewhere.

But thanks for the chance. You never know. :)

Was kicking myself with the weather being so nice the last 2 days so I took off tomorrow to go search somewhere- but I have no place to go.

Anyone have any ideas before I just wander around aimlessly?

Thanks- Josh

Anyone who reads this and thinks it is interesting, please respond to the post. The software on this forum won't allow me to post again unless someone else does first- which means if I go to a new hunt and find something cool, I can't share it with you guys/gals until someone else posts- which they probably won't do if they never see this thread or it looses interest. Thanks!! - Josh

Have you ever gone along hiking trails?

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '16

I was going to suggest the Oxford Furnace, and you're welcome to come to our yard, too which is just down the street from the furnace.

Challah Challah
Oct '16

Roy,

No, I have never detected on a hiking trail. Can you suggest any? I would look for one that is old and well traveled.

Challah- I sent you a message.

Thanks. :)

Josh, there are many hiking trails around here, I suggest you look into these that I've used. I don't know their history.
Stevens State Park (you may have mentioned this)
Peaquest Wildlife Management Area (not far from Oxford Furnace)
Deer Park area along 517 in Allamucy
Patriots Path in Long VAlley is the easiest and most traveled

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '16

How about the trails that are off Waterloo Road that border the Morris county canal???

Darrin Darrin
Oct '16

Darrin I was just going to say the same thing. Maybe Josh could find old coins or mule harness buckles or something like that. Also they opened this morris canal trail recently- http://warrenparks.com/park/florence-kuipers-park/

One end is just before the RR underpass between Hackettstown and Mansfield, but the other end over by Harvey St has the ruins of an old building that was a canal store.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

You can't dig in State Parks

janster janster
Oct '16

Janster, that is not true.

You can detect in many (most?) state parks, you just need to get permission or a permit from the ranger station or prevailing authority of the park. You most likely will be limited to certain areas as well.

Florence Kuipers park is a Warren County park, not a state park. Probably still a good idea to find out if a permit is needed. Let us know what you find Josh!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

Josh, If you need a permit and get it fine there is a great place just outside Waterloo Village it's a path that leads to very old stone structures they may have had a place in the Morris Canal history

janster janster
Oct '16

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to hit a local park today.

Bumping this up so Josh can let us know what he found yesterday :-)

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

Nothing interesting yesterday other than a couple modern pocket change...but today I pulled this belt buckle, it is pretty big although hard to tell from a picture.

I am looking forward to tomorrow- my father in law is in from out of state so I am going to take him out to teach him the ropes. :)

Looks like a Civil War Breast Plate not a buckle. I have a few in my collection.

John C John C
Oct '16

Good Luck searching Josh.

Oct '16

Hey Josh,

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on this metal detector? I saw it yesterday while shopping at the Costco in Wharton. It was going for $94.99.

I'm guessing it would be a perfect entry level unit for someone just starting out?

http://www.cochaser.com/blog/bounty-hunter-discovery-2200-metal-detector-with-bonus-pin-pointer/

Hi Vic,

Yes, for that price it is a no brainer for someone just starting out. Especially with having a pinpointer included. Now you just need a small garden trowel, a pouch to put the stuff in you find, and I always wear gloves.

Yesterday my father in law joined me and we went to several places for many hours.

First was a house in Oxford that gave me permission. As soon as I started, I pulled a quarter, then a dime, then a penny...great I thought. Then...nothing... we both continued to search all around the yard, and only found another penny each. So on to the next spot...

Next we went to a grass field next to a long sidewalk...spent a good amount of time...he found nothing, I found a quarter and a dime. He is starting to get frustrated I think because he is only at a penny for the day and we are several hours in at this point. So we leave there and go to another spot.

At the next place we spend a couple hours..I find a penny in the first 5 minutes or so..then nothing for a long time. I walk over to him a while later and he said he found a penny but dropped it as he stood up and couldn't find it again. So amusingly I spent a few minutes looking for his penny. I locate it, brush the dirt off it and tell him it is a 1956 wheat. So even though I have more coins than him, he is winning old coin of the day as everything else is more modern. We keep searching.. he finds a dime, I found 3 pennies.

So we head towards home..I decide to pull down Butlers Park rd, having seen old pictures online. We walk around but can't tell where the park was, just woods and water..so we leave without detecting and go home.

He gets out of the car and says he is tired (70 years old) and going inside for a beer. I tell him I am going to scan the yard for 15 minutes or so. He had only found a dime and 2 pennies for the day. I wasn't much ahead with a couple quarters, and a few pennies.

I scan the yard and in about 2 minutes I found a mercury dime from 1926!! Then I found a modern quarter by the street. Then I found a coin with a Spanish head on it. Turns out to be a 1970 Panama quarter. Weird. So the day ended well after all.

"So the day ended well after all."

Any day that ends in beer is a good day!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Drove past the field at Waterloo yesterday to visit a small stream that crosses under Waterloo Valley Road, and thought of you and the metal detecting hobby. Have you considered walking along the old Morris Canal, which is exposed in a few places in the area (mostly along Waterloo Road, but also in places along Rockport Road.

Granted it has been shut down since the 1820's, and chances of finding anything are slim, but if you do find anything it'll be old.

Agust Agust
Oct '16

Many of the places that are mentioned, I am not sure where they are.

I appreciate any suggestions, but honestly the best places are simply the grass in everyone's yard, especially by a sidewalk, or an old tree with nice branches that kids may have climbed on. Almost everyone has at least a small patch of grass but getting an offer to search is extremely rare. Also, because when someone gives me permission, I don't need to worry about someone coming up behind me while I have my headphones on.

I was a medic in an artillery unit in the Army and unfortunately am kind of nervous / jumpy like that. Especially since my damaged hearing I can't hear them coming. For example- at a restaurant I have to sit where I can see the room, generally with my back at a wall or at least the majority of the passing traffic in my peripheral vision. Weird I know. Sorry.

I found a cool old porcelain door knob. It is all spiderwebbed, but 100% intact with no missing pieces or sharp edges so still fully functional. I also found a ring. It is beat up and no marks inside it, so I am not sure if it is real silver- they should have a mark and this doesn't. But my 4th ring, which blows my mind since I never thought I would find one!

I also found a new local friend- I was in a park nearby detecting, took off my headphones to start diggin and I heard a voice- I turned expecting someone asking what I was doing and much to my surprise instead I saw a guy around my age with a detector and gear such as I had. Turns out he lives 5 minutes from me, has been detecting for 30 years and had been to this park many many times. Hopefully we will get out and hunt together as it has sort of been a lonely hobby. Will be nice to have a buddy. :)

Again- if anyone has a spot of grass, or a friend or neighbor they can ask- I would appreciate it. Thank you- Josh

Exciting to see all the things you found keep posting!

Today was a good day.

Before I went to work, I met up with my new detecting friend and we went to a new spot for a bit.

I found a weird 3 inch version of a 1916 quarter, a Coach tag, a silver baby cup, an Abrahms tank (which is cool to me because I was a medic in an artillery unit in the Army), an eagle, a chucky cheese token and some pocket change. See pic-

..and if anyone responds, I'll show you what I found in my yard after I got home from work. ;)

I'll bite! Whadja find!?

Seenit
Oct '16

Josh..you may want to have that 1916 quarter graded and slabbed. This may be a "sleeper". Good finds!!! Here I am, a year later, still waiting for my metal detector..LOL. Oh well, at least I can read about the cool stuff you're finding. Happy hunting! If you hit the big million dollar stash, remember your favorite fan... me! Then I'll get my metal detector. You're my new best friend...LOL Actually you are kind of like a friend to us all, for sharing all your finds with us. I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

Oct '16

Check out number GCR12 The Standing Liberty 3" is a novelty replica:

http://www.jakesmp.com/Numismatic_novelties/NN_004_coin_replicas_M.html

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

So I came home after work, with a short time left before dark. I went to an area of my yard that I have been over many many times before with the standard and small search coils.

I had found another square nail there a couple days ago so decided to throw on my big coil and give it a go.

TADA-

Cool find Josh! Just goes to show you that no matter how "worked out" you think a place is, it likely may not be. Sometimes you just need to switch up your technique or equipment;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

hey josh as usual you are always welcome in my yard again...

Oct '16

I don't remember which screename goes with what house. :)

Cool finds Josh! Love the Eagle! I used to have one similar to that but wings were to the sides. It was my grandfathers, always made me think of him. Sadly someone stole it, don't think it had any value, just sentimental to me.

Love seeing all your finds!!

Sunshine Sunshine
Oct '16

Great finds! Either that tank is tiny, or that 1916 coin is pretty big?

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

Pulled either a 1884 or 1894 Indian head penny out of my yard tonight. Hard to tell, these things are always toasted.

Josh, I have a house in Oxford, this is fascinating to me. I'll private message you!

SuperDuper SuperDuper
Nov '16

Private message away. :)

I can be there in 20 minutes- and have 1.5 hours before it gets dark.

Thank you.

Side note- I have searched 3 house properties in Oxford and also the fire house...haven't found a damn thing beyond maybe $2 or $3 in modern pocket change total between all 4 places....I was quite surprised. Lets hope that trend changes. :)

Hi Josh

Been watching your items about metal detecting. You seem to be having fun.

Bought metal detectors, many years ago for my kids. Somewhat successful.

Thought I might get one for my Grandson, 10 years old, for Christmas.

He lives in a Lake Community in NJ. Maybe look in the paths around the lake or at the beach. Don't want to get him a toy and don't want to spend a bundle.

Any suggestions for what I might look for?

Mom with Kids Mom with Kids
Nov '16

Hi MWK,

I love it. Still having fun.

Last week in my yard I found an old lead toy soldier figure, no way to date but the little guy has a hat, tall boots, a jacket with a satchel pouch of some sort and appears to be walking with maybe a rifle on his shoulder. Looks colonial in style of dress to me.

The same day my friend found an old wedding ring in my backyard. Just a plain band, female sized, appears to probably have been plated long ago but worn away. Still cool IMO.

Last weekend while out hunting a house in an old town with my father in law who was visiting, he found a token that says ....(missing some words)- paramount stars in too much harmony. I looked it up, and Paramount studios made a movie called too much harmony in 1933.

I found a silver pendant that says Saint Luke and has a little bearded guy sitting in a robe. :)

On Monday after work, I pulled a 18xx shield nickel out of my yard. Too toasted to see a date, but this style was made between 1866-1883.

I never did hear back from the guy above who mentioned his yard in Oxford, I sent him a few private msg's on here, but apparently he disappeared. Never responded. ??

As for your grandson, honestly I think a 10 year old won't be detail specific enough to warrant anything more than a very basic inexpensive detector. If he sticks with the hobby after a couple years, then upgrade.

He won't be missing out for his uses, as even a cheap detector will find most stuff. As mentioned above, the more expensive detectors are specialized for things like salt water, looking for really deep stuff, and better identifying what an object might be before you dig.

Josh - Thought of you the other day. The husband and I went to Gettysburg and there were signs everywhere saying "no treasure hunting" with a pic of a metal detector on them.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '16

Went out in my yard after work tonight since the temp is ok. Pulled an 1871 Indian cent.

Josh your own yard seems to have better treasure than anywhere else you've been :-)

hktownie hktownie
Dec '16

Well, I spend a LOT of time searching my yard. I'm sure my neighbors thing I am nuts.

I go back and forth over the same areas again and again- different directions, different swing speeds, different ground moisture, different settings on the machine.

If I spent as much time elsewhere, I would find more stuff there as well.

That being said, it is still fun to go new places as there is a chance of finding more stuff quicker if the site has never been searched before. I'll spend many days out in my yard finding nothing at all.

Looking to get out tomorrow with a detecting friend- anyone have a spot was can scan?

Anyone? Anywhere? If it's grass, it counts. :)

Did you find a place to go? Hope you found some items.

Sunshine Sunshine
Dec '16

I was hoping someone would ask, so I could share. This silly forum software locks me out if nobody else responds.

I went out with my friend all that day. We searched at a park for a few hours- each found nothing more than a couple modern coins.

We then went to a soy bean field we have permission to search. He found an old button, I found nothing. I had a total of 2 quarters, a dime and 3 pennies for the day.

So about 3pm we went home- him to blow leaves. I had nothing pressing to do so I came home, sat down and had a beer. While drinking it, I looked out the window- saw the sunshine and thought to myself- get back out there and take advantage while you still can. So I did.

I went back into my yard and sure enough after about 30 minutes I pulled a 1946 silver dime in an area that I have been over a million times. It was a tough spot- right on the edge of the property next to a telephone pole and the neighbors fence which has an electric invisible dog system. The interference is crazy. Made my day though.

A couple days after that, I had a chance to get out shortly before dark and figured I would go back to the same area of my yard and fight the interference again. I am glad I did because I found a large cent from 1849. Picture attached.

Good for you Josh. Nice find.

Dec '16

Is that cent bigger than a modern quarter? Quite a find!

hktownie hktownie
Dec '16

Yes, it is larger than a quarter in both diameter and thickness.

If anyone else is curious about what is just below their grass..or dirt, woods, weeds, ...just let me know. Even if you don't think there is anything there- there probably is!!

Was in my yard again today...

Found a wheat penny, came inside and had lunch, went back out and just found this-

1816 Spanish silver 8 Reales.

My oldest silver, 3rd oldest coin, 1st Spanish silver... not a bad way to end the year!

(if nobody posts after me, the system won't allow me to post again)

Very cool find Josh!

nice finds. been hunting more than 20 years in Monmouth county. this hobby is NOT about the monetary value of the stuff you find, its about the excitement you feel when you find something, pull it out of the ground and try to figure out what it is. My best find is a 1774 copper large cent. I could only identify it because printed in the edge of the coin was "one hundred for a dollar" - took quite a bit of research to figure that one out. wanted to be an archaeologist growing up but my father dissuaded me, "not sure how those guys make a living". so now, this is the next best thing.

Bump so Josh can post

skippy skippy
Dec '16

I saw a guy metal detecting yesterday in the front yard of that lonely, old abandoned house on Route 57 towards Phillipsburg, at the light by the old abandoned liquor store. I wondered if it might be Josh! I love that old, sad house. I hope the guy had permission.

Nope, wasn't me or anyone I know of.

I hurt my back moving stuff in the house yesterday and can barely move. Which sucks because I can't work and if I don't work I don't get paid. :(

Oh well, it is cold and snowy out anyway. Whoever it was had to have been cold if he was out for very long at all. I hope he found something cool though!

Sorry to hear that. Double up on the Motrin and REST. The world needs you back out in it!

Found a crusty 178x British King George III half penny in my yard tonight.

I had on 2 pairs of warm socks, 2 pairs of gloves, a hooded sweatshirt under a hooded winter jacket and was still cold. Finding cool old stuff is a drug.

:)

Surprised nobody thought a 1787 coin in my yard was cool. I sure do.

Pictures I need pictures :)

1787 coin in your yard is cool, congrats!

my oldest I found in my yard was a 1898 penny. I was thrilled to find something over 100 years old.

2 cents 2 cents
Feb '17

Bump up for Josh since we're getting some nice weather. Pictures please Josh :-)

hktownie hktownie
Feb '17

Nothing interesting lately. Just pocket change.

A member on here was nice enough to let me search her yard, which happened to be a few houses down from another members yard I searched last year. I found 2 1965 quarters so I was really hopeful but those were the best finds.

At a park, my friend found a musket ball and I found a tiny harmonica. Weird.

Weather is warming up, snow is melting, sun is setting later.

I've been out a few hours here and there after work with my friend.

We were at a park the other day and I found a wheat penny among the modern coins.

Noticed several other pennies from the late 50's-mid 60's, some nickels and dimes from '65-70..then another wheat.

So I stuck it out and stayed until dark, telling myself where there's wheat there could be silver. Found a 3rd wheat...and then finally found a silver dime- '52.

Not super old, but silver doesn't come often. I have only found 16 silver coins out of literally thousands of coins I have found. Made my day.

I'm headed out today so if any of you see a guy by the street in Hackettstown, its me. I hope it doesn't rain.

This is my 2nd post in a row- so the system is going to lock me out now.

Hey there! I was thinking about you, just yesterday! So glad you posted. I'll keep ya going. I still didn't get a metal detector. So much for Christmas, huh? LOL. So, I'll just live vicariously through you, for now:)
Don't reply, to this, so you don't get locked out. I'll be waiting for your posts, when you find more goodies. Happy hunting, my friend .

Mar '17

Sparks- while you may only find $1-3 worth of change on any given day, if you hunt often enough the detector will easily pay for itself in a year or 2. It is the only hobby I know of that pays for itself.

Lets say you go out twice a week on average for a year, which is really easy to do- and average $2 a hunt, that is $4 a week times 52 = $208.

Today I called my friend after I got off work- amusingly he answered the call from the park in Hackettstown that he was searching at- he was off work today.

He met me at another park we like to search. I got in about 2 hours before dark.

I found- 5 quarters, 5 dimes, 8 nickels, 5 pennies, 2 wheats (47 &52) and my first gold ring.

Bump for Josh

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Another bump. This is getting too long to scroll, if the "recent", click doesn't work. Sometimes it does. Sometimes not. I click on the time, as I'm supposed to, so it'll take me down, automatically, but for some reason, it doesn't always work. Cool, gold ring. If that's an "old mine" diamond, you may have something special, there.
Happy hunting, my friend!

Mar '17

Hmmm

Josh - 60's-70's cap gun. If it wasn't so rusted you might get $10 for that for the nostalgia value. In that condition, you'd be better off finding a Susan B Anthony. ;-)

Try and bead blast it !

skippy skippy
Mar '17

I find the strangest things

And this-

Josh

If that Matchbox car cleans up well, you may have a bit of a mini-treasure. I think my brother used to have that one. Some of them are very desirable and collectible. A bump for you too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '17

Yeah agreed would like to see some of this stuff cleaned up

skippy skippy
Mar '17

The Matchbox is a Lamborghini Diablo. Circa 2005. NIB that's $6, really nicely cleaned up, about $2.

I would love to see a pic of the pendant or charm cleaned up!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

The stone settings on that heart pendant remind me of a European pin I have that was my grandmother's, and her grandmother's before her. The metal is sort of pushed up to form a bezel. That might be quite old.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '17

It definitely was a pin at some point because I saw the 2 spots on the back where the pin would have went across.

I figured it was just trash because #1 it doesn't seem to weigh much, and #2 the other stuff I found in the area it was in was all modernish.

I'll dig it out of my junk pile and wash it off for a closer look. :)

Definitely. Don't throw out any jewelry, even if it looks crappy. If not sure, a jeweler should be able to tell you about the metal, etc. The prongs , around the stones, indicates they are probably rhinestones, but can't say for sure, and they put rhinestones, in sterling, even if it feels light. Coooool!

Apr '17

I sell vintage jewelry and you would be surprised what some of it goes for........and I'm talking costume.

I would clean it up BUT do NOT use water......see if you can just brush the dirt out.

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

Went out with my friend again today for a few hours. I pulled over 70 coins. Nothing exciting for me though, just modernish. But the weather was great.

He didn't find anywhere near as many coins as he spends a lot of time digging junk hoping for jewelry where I try to focus on just coin signals. He did however pulled a wheat penny and then a 1902 Indian cent. He was super happy- it was his first one ever.

Then I came home, did some chores, and then went to a neighbors house for maybe an hour- only found 6 pennies there- but one was a wheat, and I found a musket ball. First one of those I ever found.

Went out with my friend again yesterday.

Among his pocket change- he found a cool French aluminum coin from 1943, as well as a 1956 wheat penny. He also found a wheel cap from a model T, as well as a pocket knife.

Coolest thing I managed was a ring, a 1941 wheat, and a 1963 canadian cent. Other than that- 19 quarters, 14 nickels, 28 dimes, 32 normal pennies and a six flags token.

We were out all day- weather was great!! I sunburned my neck. :)

This is 2 posts in a row for me- so I am locked out now. :)

Keeping it going.

Apr '17

Love hearing about all your 'finds'!

I'd LOVE to do what you do. We have a detector but I have NO idea how it works. I guess I mean I don't know how to set it for what it is you're looking for.

I also would love to see any jewelry you find.....especially costume stuff. :)

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

Went out with my friend again after work tonight for a little while.

Highlights of my finds were a wheat penny, a buffalo nickel, and a mens 14k gold wedding band.

Josh bump keep them coming - any pics ?

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Sure-

Dang I have to get out there!

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

nice - sounds like a fun hobby

skippy skippy
Apr '17

I remember my stepdad bought rolls and rolls of pennies back in the 70s. We would sort out all the wheats into a coffee can, roll the rest back up and bring them back for more. Ended up with can after can of wheat pennies. At the time I think they were worth 2 cents.

What are they worth these days? Dang, I have no idea what happened to those cans of pennies!

hktownie hktownie
Apr '17

Yes- that is called coin roll hunting.

A lot of the metal detecting guys that live in cold areas do that in the winter. there are entire forums dedicated to the hobby, as well as books on it. I'm sure youtube videos as well even though I haven't checked..

Most don't do pennies though- they go for quarters, half dollars, or dimes and hope for silver.

Went out with my buddy again yesterday.

Highlights of my day-

Another buffalo nickel
1889, 1900 and1907 Indian cents
1914, 1919, 1925, 1936, 1947 Wheats
a military button
2 different cross type things- pic of one attached.

This is my 2nd post in a row, so locked out again. :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts on your findings Josh!

Here is the other cross thing-

Thank you Josh. I enjoy this thread. I was wondering how much trash/scrap metal/wire do you find compared to coins and or interesting things, like the cross pin. I'm asking this because I have to use a metal detector to find lot pins for work often. I can't tell you how many times I've be fooled by wire, old pull tabs on aluminum can & various other scrap metal. Most of the pins I am trying to locate are iron with a mixed metal top that comes up as coins or aluminum.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

I don't dig a lot of trash because I ignore the signals most trash gives.

There are a lot of variables.

Generally it goes like this-

If the object is a consistent material, and of a certain size and shape- such as a quarter- and it only a few inches deep as most things are- the detector is pretty good at giving you a solid indication of what is there.

Most commonly found pocket change, in a clean area- I can tell you what it is before I dig it. Dime, quarter, penny, etc.

If there are power lines nearby, the EMF will makes signals jumpy. Highly mineralized soil makes less consistent readings and cuts depth as it acts like driving in the fog with your high beams on.

The deeper the object- the less accurate the identification of the item.

Stuff that is odd shaped like pull tabs, foil, can shreds can give odd signals. Rusty old nails too. But that is usually easy to tell because in a side to side swing, again on a non-deep item- if you listen, a coin will go BEEP BEEP / DING DING and scrap will go BEEP BLOP / DING DONG- or not give the same response every time. But even a coin can give different signals depending on which angle you hit it at- come at it flat on? Solid. Turn and come at it on it's edge? You can get a different reading or no reading at all.

Once you get to items that have odd shapes and more than one material such as jewelry- all bets are off. So you basically just 'guess' and take a chance on where the signal is in the range of possibilities. On one end of the scale you have iron, which is almost always junk- the other end is coins and silver- pretty safe to dig that and see whats what.

In the center is where aluminum, foils, pull tabs fall- but is also where gold and a lot of jewelry is. So if you want jewelry you end up digging a lot of scrap.

The gold ring I got last week rang up as a nickel so it surprised me.

My friend digs everything- all day long, every day in hopes of finding cool artifacts.

I prefer to just dig what I expect is a coin signal. I generally end the day with a much higher coin count than him, and he ends up with a pile of trash. One day he will find something cool that I missed though because I ignore most signals that may be jewelry or gold coins. The few things I have found that are not coins is just sheer luck. Most of my rings, necklaces, etc have been silver just because of the fact of where it is on the scale- and my greater chance to dig that.

Are the pins you are looking for all the same pin? If so- wave one in front of your detector and note exactly where it signals.

It really does take practice, experience, and awareness of the different variables in each situation and how to interpret what you are hearing and seeing.

Don't let that intimidate anyone though- it is easy to be decent at this hobby- just more difficult to be really good at it.

Josh I found a similar maltese cross, enamel pin that had LBC on it. They are calling it an antique Catholic Order of Foresters. It does have COF on it too. I just can't determine, yet what the LBC stands for......I love stuff like that........and the research that comes along with it.

It looks like there is more writing on yours.....around the center. Can you ck it and let me know what it says???

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

It def. has something to do with the Order of Foresters.......pretty cool find.

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Order_of_Foresters

Looks like it was a fraternal and insurance society

skippy skippy
Apr '17

"It looks like there is more writing on yours.....around the center. Can you ck it and let me know what it says???"

What is written in the center is- $2000000

I have no idea what any of it means.

Went out for a bit yesterday. Found 7 quarters, 3 nickels, 13 dimes, 14 pennies, and another Buffalo nickel.

I have wanted to find a Buffalo nickel for quite a while- and I have found 3 in the last 3 hunts. 1 in each different location. Wouldn't believe it if someone told me that was going to happen. The odds are staggering.

I bet that's referring to the amount the company held in surety to guarantee payment of the insurance policies - great stuff Josh

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Had a good hunt a few nights ago- in about 30 minutes I pulled 3 silver dimes.

A 1936 mercury, a 1944 mercury, a 1963 Roosevelt, and a 1921 wheat, a 1928 wheat, and 1944 wheat.

I also found what I thought was an old christmas ornament- but once I cleaned it off- and out- turns out is is a crotal bell - old sleighbell off a horse from the 1800s most likely. Pretty neat- I am probably the first person to hear it ring in over a century.

Silver doesn't come often- at least to me- I've found thousands of coins at this point and have only found 20 silver coins total- and 5 of those were in my own yard. So to pull 3 in 1 day- in about 30 minutes was awesome. :)

After having done this hobby for 1.5 years now, I am surprised it isn't more common. I know people think I am strange and I look weird- but boy is it addictive.

Do you have a picture of the bell?

hktownie hktownie
Apr '17

Oh, I don't think it's strange ,at all! It's still on my wish list. I can only buy a metal detector , when I sell all my "valuable" junk. So.... time to get off my a_ _, and clean out my house. Then, you'll have some competition...LOL. Don't worry. I'm a chronic procrastinator. Keep on posting, Josh. I love reading them.

Apr '17

Lucked out again today- cool stuff found was another silver mercury dime, a wheat, and my first Susan B Anthony $1 coin.

Nice have a bump

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Wonderful! Love to hear about your finds.

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

What have you found lately?

The Man The Man
May '17

Nothing sorry. On vacation.

Hope you post again soon - I figured vacation would be prime detection time

skippy skippy
May '17

Went out today with my friend to a school in the area.

We were there for a few hours.

He left after a short time period because he had to be home by 10 to get ready for work. He pulled almost 50 coins, while getting rained on.

I stayed a little while longer, mostly standing in a little area under a big tree to stay dry as possible, then moved out to the open field when the rain stopped-

I pulled 152 coins. I left because I literally got tired of digging every 10 seconds, was by myself and decided we can always go back another day.

I pulled-

32 quarters
46 nickels (oldest 1940)
25 dimes
41 modern pennies
Wheats- 57, 56, 52, 49, 45, 41, 4x, x7 (47 or 57, can't tell)

We have been there twice, and have pulled 300+ coins in only a few hours- had wheats last time as well- there HAS to be silver hiding there somewhere. :)

Wow! What a haul!

So that's where all the change from the lunch money goes!

hktownie hktownie
Jun '17

We found it quite amazing. The school must have some sort of ritual where they take money and just throw it in the grass every day for decades!!

Needless to say- we will be going back. :)

How does deposits of coins like that happen Josh? I'm guessing kids playing and dropping change?

skippy skippy
Jun '17

According to the Garrett book on "coinshooting", trees in parks or especially schools are usually good hunting spots due to kids hanging out and lounging around trees, climbing trees and hanging upside down from branches or swinging from various types of swings (or on the branches themselves).

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '17

Yea.. it is all just kids running around for decades.

Any local park or school yard is good for finding pocket change.

I have had several days where I have found 50-60-70-80 coins in a day, but never 150+ in just a few hours until now.

Unfortunately it is a trade off though- places like this also don't have anything old and cool- the best stuff is in the privately owned yards of houses.

I haven't received any new permissions for a yard or sidewalk curb strip of grass in a long time though- so we have no where else to go other than dig pocket change.

Kills me too- to drive down all the streets and see the grass between the street and sidewalk and know there is cool stuff just sitting an inch or 2 below the surface. Or a big old tree with limbs that you know kids played on decades ago.

On Butlers park road there is an area of grass next to a river with several big old climbing trees- but I think it is private property. I've stopped three times to ask the house across from it- the first time a baby sitter answered the door and even tried to get a hold of the owner on her cell phone- but couldn't. Said to stop back another day. I've gone twice more since and knocked but nobody was home.

Maybe get a business card you can leave and offer to split whatever you find ?

skippy skippy
Jun '17

I haven't read all the posts .Have you tried the trail along the pequest here in Liberty? Old railroad trail. Very interesting history.

Angie Angie
Jun '17

Went out to the school early today for a bit before my friend had to go to work. I pulled 53 quarters among the other coins. Nothing old though. Nuts.

Weather should cool down tomorrow- my friend and I plan on heading out somewhere.

Does anyone have a yard, curb strip, or know of a place we can search? :)

Thanks- Josh

Bump so Josh can post again.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '17

Thanks. I have found LOTS of stuff since last post (and I find all sorts of odd stuff that I never even remember to mention).

We have been back to the school I was talking about above many times and I have found 2 silver dimes there and my friend found 1 silver dime. Countless other coins and many wheats.

I also found a silver bracelet there- oddly enough right next to first base on one of the ball fields, about 6 inches down. It was broken and bent so I thought it was a piece of scrap until I saw the design. Luckily my friend is a jeweler so he repaired it for me.

I found a crushed old silver thimble- I am hoping to have him attempt to repair it at some point.

I found a old small button that has an exact copy of a buffalo nickel Indian head on it- weird.

My friend found a half dime from 1853 in near perfect condition.

I found another silver ring- this one has two cupids reaching out and holding a heart in the middle.

I found a silver quarter 2 days ago.

I found several more buttons of various styles. I also found another religious medal.

Many odds and ends, more match box cars, shot gun shells, square nails, lots of pull tabs and bottle caps. More 'modern' pocket change than I know what to do with.

Just in quarters alone I have completely filled a mason jar and have started another. Same is true for pennies. My jars of dimes and nickels are about half full.

As always.. open to new spots, no matter where or how small.. just let me know.

Any patch of grass- even only a few feet can hide treasures.

Thought this was a cool find. My nephew left his metal detector for my daughter to try. She found this in the wooded area behind our house. Also found an arrow, a doll foot with a flipper and some pop tabs. This is a hub cap from the company which made cars between 1918-1932. I cleaned it up. She was excited!

Cherie2 Cherie2
Nov '17

Very cool - hub cap or oil cap ?

Skippy Skippy
Nov '17

Skippy it showed on Google as a hub can on wooden spoked wheels. The car manufacturer was Essex Motors in Detroit.

Cherie2 Cherie2
Nov '17

That is an AWESOME find!! I'd love to find that.

Went out today with my buddy and he took his son for his first time ever out.

I lent his son my spare detector and digger tool to use. Gave him a quick class on how to use it and set him loose.

Lucky SOB- the kid found TWO silver quarters before lunch. Way to start off!!

My friend found 2 wheats and a silver merc dime.

I found an early 1800s flat button, 5 wheats and what I think may be a civil war staff button. Pic attached.

I also went to an event in Gettysburg a few weeks ago- found a civil war bullet. Made the trip out there, hotel, etc worth it!! :)

Seriously- with all the history all around us- whether you realize it or not- if you have grass- even just a few square feet- there is probably something hiding under it.

Doesn't matter if H-town or ANY of the towns around that you or your friends or family live in. It is worth having searched to see what can be saved from rotting unknown in the ground!!!

I have found SOO much stuff in the last several months. Buttons, coins, jewellery.

Example- I found an 1853 dime. Perfect match to my buddies half dime I mentioned last time. What were the odds? My father in law and my buddy both found 'canister shot'- which is a cannon's version of a shotgun pellet. (about the size of a ping pong ball)

I have not been able to post any of my finds because nobody else posts so the system locks me out. :(

If you enjoy what I find- please post. If you enjoy what I find and have even a small piece of grass- shoot me a message, I'll search it and we can see what is there!!!

Sounds like an exciting hobby!

LenaK LenaK
Nov '17

We’re still learning, but it was pretty neat finding it. My daughter is more excited about the arrow she dug up too.

Cherie2 Cherie2
Nov '17

Went back to that park with my father in law who is visiting for the holiday.

Found 5 wheats, a 1941 merc, a 1916 buffalo nickel and a British King George which dates from the 1700’s.

I haven’t cleaned the other side yet to see the date, but here is what I have so far, pic attached.

Josh where are some local places we can explore in the spring?

Cherie2 Cherie2
Nov '17

Parks. That is where we spend most of our time as private permissions don’t happen often.

Just try to pinpoint accurately, cut a clean small hole, fill it when you are done and remove any trash.

The coin I posted above is 1771. I found the date.

That coin is awesome! And thank you. I need to look into “tools” since i purchased an inexpensive detector(starter to make sure she sticks with it) for DD for Christmas any suggestions would be great. Right now we are using shovels when we use my nephews.

Cherie2 Cherie2
Nov '17

A good digger tool is a must. The cheap plastic ones don't work well and you will hurt your hands trying to use them.

The original and most popular is-

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/rs-digging-cutting-tool-with-sheath

But there are now several companies that make similar for less-

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/digmaster-digger

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/rs-diamond-digger-with-sheath

Might seem like a lot- but they pay for themselves quickly. Yesterday alone I dug 28 quarters in a few hours without trying.

You will need a pinpoint tool as well- again don't skimp. Most popular is the Garrett AT which is waterproof (you will be getting it muddy and hosing it off)

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/pro-pointer-at-pinpointer

Any date on the King George? That is quite a find!

hktownie hktownie
Nov '17

That makes it the oldest coin have ever found, at least identifiable one.

I have found several old copper’s that are the same size and thickness but so badly corroded that you cannot make out anything identifiable on them. So technically they may be older but who knows?

Prior to this my oldest coin was a 1775 British king George that I found in my own yard in the first roughly week or two after starting this hobby.

Cherie2

In a pinch a strong garden trowel will do for light duty digging that's near the surface. Some like to use an entrenching tool or a bulb spade. The best of course are the specialized ones that Josh posted links to, but in a pinch the other items will usually do, though definitely not as well, since the other designs have been tested and honed through time to be able to deliver maximum efficiency and productivity.

If using a shovel (round point, of course), it does help to sharpen the edge with a file in order to cut the sod more cleanly and easily. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have until you can get the purpose-made items, or if you're chomping at the bit to get out there and hunt and can't wait;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '17

Heck- somewhere I have the original plastic digger that Garrett included with my first detector. If you want it, you can have it..I just need to look around.

Be aware that after I dug with it for 2-3 days I bought a better one like above because my hands hurt and I was fighting the ground. Of course the ground was very dry at that time- but I didn't know any better and was chipping away at it best I could.

Biggest problem with most 'shovels' is they make too big of a hole.

Phil- you should dig out your detector (or motorcycle)...seems we share common hobbies. :)

Yes, the holes were big that we were digging. Thankfully they were in the woods or a wooded area so just covered the holes back up when we were done.

Cherie2 Cherie2
Nov '17

great finds josh! my local spot had only been giving up clad.

2 cents 2 cents
Nov '17

Went out today- among a large pile of coins I pulled 8 wheats, the oldest a 1914, and a 1892-O silver quarter in great shape, as well as 2 buttons, a star of david pendant, and a ring.

Hi Josh,

My son who lives in Hackettstown sent me this thread because I've been detecting for more than 20 years and thought I'd be interested in what's going on in his area.

I wanted to add one of my recent discoveries. Under the heading "you never know what you'll find", I was detecting in a local park and found some mason jar lids - unfortunately, the jars were NOT full of old coins :-). However, they led me to what appears to be an old junk pile and I pulled several old bottles out of the ground. Also a Mazda 40 watt light bulb - no, its NOT what you think ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_(light_bulb) - a really interesting find.

It's a great hobby. I bought a couple of detectors for my granddaughters and hope to get them interested.

Nick

First one of these I have ever found-

Wow! Wish I could find my dads. I’d have to travel to Vietnam, he lost it while he was there serving.

Cherie2 Cherie2
Dec '17

What kind of bottles ? Some are worth money .

Janster Janster
Dec '17

Probably glass.

Started detecting as a hobby not long ago. And fall into it. The only thing I would recommend every new curious visitor is to buy a good device. Here's a top guide to all the models http://tenrows.com/metal-detectors/

Gregor Gregor
Dec '17

Thanks Spammer. :)

That page actually has a lot of info on it for people.

will post some pictures of the bottles...

Nick

Thanks Nick , Janster

Janster Janster
Dec '17

Hi All, Here is my 1798 Large cent pulled out of Chester this summer, Of course it got hit by the shovel a little. It's in kinda beat but, cool all the same. looking for a NJ copper. One of my bucket list coins. Budd Lake Treasure Treasure Metal Detector.

Barry O'Dell Barry O'Dell
Dec '17

Good job!

Finding anything 1800's is hard enough- 1700's don't come often, and unfortunately as you have experienced- they are usually toasted.

I've pulled several that are completely unidentifiable and it frustrates me that I was too late to save them.

Especially when people don't allow a search because they are 'relics'...well then why do they want them to continue to rot undiscovered? Makes me sad.

I could never under stand that too. We are losing those old coppers fast. I been thinking about donating it to the historical society. In a case with my name on it for eternity is worth more than a old penny in a drawer when I'm gone.

Dec '17

Good day on some old ground. Hunted for about two hours in Peapack Glad stone. Can slaw, a few boats ( Bit of a tractor) and this little gem. No double die but a solid find. Spoiler alert Oak Island is on to night! Budd Lake treasure treasure metal detector.

Dec '17

Hey Barry! Great meeting you guys today.

The ground is still frozen so I decided to hit the beach area at Spruce Run hoping it would be digable.

Well, in most areas it was soft for the first 2-3 inches then concrete- but the weather was still nice and the sun out for a little while.

Barry, his GF, and dog met up with me and I think we all had a good time for what it was. I was happy to be out since I haven't been able to for the last 6 weeks! (feels like a lifetime)

My total for the day was 3 quarters, 5 dimes, a nickel, 5 modern pennies, a 1955 wheat (surprised me!) and 2 earrings.

A little frustrating because I had several other good signals but it might as well have been iron plate I was hitting.

As always- if anyone finds this interesting and wants to see what I can find a few inches under their yard, please let me know. There is stuff EVERYWHERE.

Absolutely Josh, Thanks for the invite. I looked up the 1955 in the Red Book and it's the plain 1955 that was double die reverse, not the Denver mint. The 55 would have been doubled. Price tag in VF 1650.00$. And that coin was in great shape coming out of the ground. "almost Famous". I found a lot of Bit Of Beach Chair. LOL.. Planning on going hunting on Saturday if the ground is ripe. Treasure Treasure metal detector the Budd lake hunters

Jan '18

I'm game for Saturday. Hit me up on email with details... :)

Got out a little bit over the last week.

Still cold, ground mostly still frozen- but was able to find another wheat penny, a 1943 WW2 silver war nickel and a ring.

Something I always wanted to get into to get me outside and healthy. I been looking into good starter Finders as we speak. Hackettstown area

Jason Jason
Feb '18

What does 'looking into good starter finders' mean? I'm not following...

Ha Sorry Josh just saw what I typed I meant Detector to start off with

Jason Jason
Feb '18

Jason,

To start, here were my earlier posts on starting from this thread above-

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/720598#t720632

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/720598#t762531

For someone who doesn't know if they are going to like the hobby- while an inexpensive detector will find a lot of the easier shallow stuff- it would also be easy enough to go out with someone and borrow a spare detector to learn.

After doing this hobby for about 2.5 years now, my thoughts on starting out have changed a bit. As have the available detectors.

I myself have upgraded detectors a few times already. I have also seen many other people do the same very quickly.

Chances are- if you like the hobby, you will want a nice detector very soon so I am now of the thought process to borrow and learn a few times out- then bite the bullet and buy a good one.

hi, didn't read all of this thread, but we see people all the time over at "Spruce Run" on the main beach area.
The entrance is off of Van Syckle Road (think I spelled that wrong, sorry).. .

PS good luck!

If you’ve seen people there lately it may have been me, my friend Roy, or Barry above. The sand melts before dirt.

Thanks Josh That might be the way I go. I was looking at the Garrett Ace 200 or maybe even the 300. But I'll go back into looking at those older posts you linked up. i just started a bit in looking fr rocks as well "Rock Hounding" Looking to get out more and be more healthier and thought this be a awesome way to get the exercise I need

Jason Jason
Feb '18

Check it out. Found this today. Small window of half frozen ground and now it's snowing again. Bummer. Maybe this is a Boat, Bit-Off-A-Tractor, or maybe it's a small caliper CANNON BALL!! What do you think? I might be just blinded by the find and need somebody to hit me in the head with the thing to bring me to earth. One of best finds ever if it's a munitions piece. I'll start googling munition sizes and see what comes up. It's was found very near to a colonial home site. Treasure
Treasure Metal Detector, the Budd Lake Hunters.

Feb '18

opps for got to add the PIC,

Feb '18

Barry- I sent the pic to my buddy to see what he thinks. Find the merc at the same time?

Hay Josh, No the Merc was another days find at was sitting around good to compare the size. No coins today, shot gun shells, pull tabs and hobs and nob's. Not to much detecting going on with the ground solid.

Barry Odell
Feb '18

.... just watched the newest, and I fear final season of the detectorists - what a wonderful show...

rleaf rleaf
Feb '18

I've seen seasons 1 & 2.

How were you able to watch season 3? I thought it was overseas only.

I was planning on waiting for Netflix or bluray to pick it up.

I watched it on Amazon Prime - it's such fun, so calm, just easy and relaxed - reminds me of fishing, LOL

rleaf rleaf
Feb '18

Ground is thawed, temp is fantastic for Feb.

I am looking to get outside with a friend tomorrow.

Anyone? Anywhere? :)

Appreciate anything- your friends, neighbors, any small patch of grass just about anywhere!

Thank you.

Have not read the whole thread but have you checked along the railroad bed along the pequest river? It runs for miles. I used to live in a house that was once considered in Townsbury. Old area lots of history.

Exriverdweller Exriverdweller
Feb '18

No, we have never tried a railroad bed.

I'd imagine the bed would be hardpack and undiggable and the sides probably wooded and rooted.

Open clean areas are ideal for this- grass areas in a yard or park.

If anything- for my knees. :)

Went out yesterday with a new hunting buddy I met recently. Among the modern change I found 2 silver dimes and 2 pieces of junk jewelry.

The other guy found 4 silver dimes, a silver quarter, and an old intricate silver locket that has a toddlers picture on each side. He found all that in less than 2 hours. Blew my mind.

hi Josh. Have you thought of this place? The end of the trail near Harvey St is near the remnants of an old canal store. Might be some interesting things there.

http://warrenparks.com/park/florence-kuipers-park/

hktownie hktownie
Feb '18

Is it where I am thinking it is, an old foundation at the T of 2 roads?

If so- yes my friend and I stopped there last spring after someone mentioned it to us.

We walked around the foundation area for about 5 minutes- but it was soo extremely trashy and unsearchable that we left.

There is soo much garbage in the ground in some spots- you wouldn't believe unless you were shown.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hay Josh.. Chrissy, Blake and I, Met Adam a fellow dectorist off a suggestion from Curt. Had a good hunt. Chrissy nailed it as usual. Modern coin spill over 15 coins and a really cool copper broach. Early 1800 or older???. I'll try to load up some pics. Also pulled up a old store keeps bell in some concrete chuck in a river?? weird, that was last week over in union. Cool spot....try and go back over the weekend if weather permits.

Barry
Feb '18

Barry,

Good job. I’m out of state on vacation.

I’d like to see a picture of the broach.

I was out at a park with Adam recently and found 24 coins in 1 hole! All modern. I got up and rescanned and there were more signals- but I said screw it- leave some for the next guy.

Josh, Hope you got to take your Detector on vacation. Here is a shot of the Broach, Its about 1 3/4 inch oval. Solid copper, and strange symbols. Can anyone identify it. No sign of a shank or pin on the back.

Snow on again. at least we had a short window of opportunity.

Barry
Mar '18

Barry

Since that has no pinback on it, it's possible that it could be what remains of a "souvenir" penny. It used to be at State Fairs or other events (for me it was the "Date Palm Festival") there was a souvenir booth where you could insert a penny and it would roll it out into a longer, thinner oval shape which also had a new custom design on it and was no longer a "penny" per se, but a commemorative copper piece.

It still could be something else, obviously, but that's my first guess, since I've seen quite a few of those over the years. The picture does look a bit out of focus to me, but does the back also seem to have any kind of design on it too? Just curious.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '18

Hi Phil,

Yes- barry's picture here is horrible. ;)

It is definitely not a penny, and def old. Good find.

I have a much better picture on my phone that he sent me a week ago. Of course I don't have my phone nearby currently- it is out in the garage.

I'll post the picture later. Somebody respond so the stupid system here doesn't lock me out. :P

Very interesting read Josh.... (response to keep you unlocked!)

rleaf rleaf
Mar '18

Hi, Sorry about the bad pics my phone is getting old. Hope this one is better.

I like the Penny theory but, I don't think that's it. I'll keep a eye out for those now.

I'm thinking the trapezoid shapes are stone settings and the stones are missing or still in the hole. It looks like the little swirly designs may be flowers.

It could have been a decoration set into a show horses bridle. It came off of old farm land and close to a place that the rail road once went through. I'm also working on cleaning up a old Bell that I found. Its got concrete on it but it's soft. thanks...

Barry&Criss

Barry
Mar '18

The Bell Pic

Barry
Mar '18

Barry- it is similar in shape to this cuff link- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/564511-john-adams-portrait-cufflink-just-found-need-help.html#post5649043

Hope you all interested in this have seen the Oak Island treasure search show. They found a cross which may have been made before Columbus arrived.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '18

Yes, that's the same size but this shows more wear. Thanks for the link, I have a log on to that site but, don't hit it often. I'd rather have the John Adams lol..

Went to Man Skirt Brewery in town today and a parade broke out. I think we should have had a Detectorist Float!

Love Oak Island, They have a new show about confederate gold in lake Michigan. Sounds weird but, I'm in. Travel Chanel Destination discovery has a new one called Brother 12, I liked it. I was sad to se season 3 of the detectorist. That means the last one.

Barry
Mar '18

You could come by my place and detect metal. Whatever you find stays on the property. Let me know. Happy Hunting.

jolly rodger jolly rodger
Mar '18

Nobody is going to search for 'whatever you find stay on the property'.

What would be the benefit?

If you want to keep what is there, spend hundreds on equipment if not $1,000+ as many of us have done, and hundreds of hours learning how to use it.

Not meant in any offensive way. I truly appreciate everyone that has given me permission to search their yard- but this is a hobby for fun. Not at all for profit. The people giving permission are doing it for fun, and get a kick out of seeing what we find. I have had several permissions that I have found NADA!

99% of the time you come home at the end of the day, after many hours- and maybe have $2 spare change, many times less, and a pocket of scrap junk.

If you are lucky, you get a wheat penny, maybe 2- or an old button, etc. On rare occasion, the days we dream of- a silver dime worth $2.xx

So yea- no offense, but I don't understand the point of your post...

BTW- I am more than happy to bring my spare detector and teach someone how to use it. I would like to pass on my appreciation of the hobby to others.

Josh absolutely, I have a spare detector or two more than willing to share. I think that " cannon Ball" is a real find. If it's real ?? needs to go to place were it will be appreciated for the millennia.

Red Leg Steel six

Barry
Mar '18

Hi Josh and All

Here are todays finds. Three hours in Pea Pack area. The memorial is a 74, the copper cone is very heave(old motor part?) The clock gear has no markings and the pipe stem has a "M" marking on it. old pocket knife and a blob of old iron with a high VDI.

Have to head alittle south to get out of snow country. More coming next week you got to be kidding me.

Google FBI Gettysburg's Civil war gold. It's in the news, to cool

Barry Barry
Mar '18

I’ve found a gear that looks just like that before. Weird huh?

I’m heading out for a hunt tomorrow ... one of my first hunts this year. Lousy weather.

Went out today with my buddy. Found 15 wheats, a silver merc dime, a silver rosie dime, a presidential token, a cowboy, a donkey, a Saint Anthony metal, 2 small buttons, and some modern change.

jolly rodger is the pirate flag yes? So probably either a troll or some pirate who lost the map to his gold.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '18

Better shot-

Nice!

A bit of folk art and a mother &child. Its a matching pair. Some one knows the origins of the pair. Very unique. What a day. Better than the coins.

Forgot to add a pic of a star leather rivet. Very old copper, not military (I think?)

Happy hunting.. hopefully We'll have more on the finds table soon.

the Budd lake hunters

Barry Barry
Mar '18

Pulled an 1859 Indian cent today. The first year of the series and a 1 year only unique design. They changed it for 1860-on.

Barry- we are headed to a special spot tomorrow- shoot me an email if you are available to hunt.

Awesome find! That's a rare coin. Would love to see a pic of the back of it. I haven't had much time to put my coil to the ground. I went out for a couple hours locally today and found this by eye. I want it, but getting it out is another story. Any thought as to what it is? Early tractor? Mill gear?

Happy hunting

Barry Barry
Apr '18

Hahah!!

No idea- but whatever it is, definitely your B.O.A.T.

I pulled 3 flat buttons the other day from late 1700-early 1800. And another small flat button a couple days before that...as well as 4 small bullets of some type.

My buddy pulled a silver rosie yesterday, I found a (tie tack?) with an owl on it that is stamped 24k G.P.

He found a silver quarter today while I was at work.

You around tomorrow? I'm looking to get out with my new detector.

We are probably going to hunt Sunday as well.

Shoot me an email. :)

My spouse and I went hunting in the front yard with their twenty year old bounty hunter discovery 3300- still works great! We found a washer and a nail! And a great condition silver dime and a button? See pic attached. It was gorgeous out and the ground was soft. We were out for about an hour and a half. Thinking about getting two newer models and a pinpointer.

Fantastic!!

If you can- take a picture of the back of the button- that should help date it.

I went out for a couple hours late this afternoon. Among the modern pocket change I found a wheat and another one of these shiny nickels. ;)

(1943 S silver war nickle)

Here’s the back. Just rusted. Feels a little concave with a slot that I suspect had a little metal bridge for the thread to go under. Any idea of the age? The top part is quite plain too. I don’t even think it was worn off or anything was just always plain.

Just arrived in Gettysburg to search a private permission I obtained. I am very excited!

Sorry man - that stinks

Skippy Skippy
Apr '18

Yea- totally blows.

Complete waste of pretty much an entire day of beautiful weather, lost income from not working, burned a tank of gas, drove for 6 hours...and literally had just stepped on the grass and turned my detector on about 30 seconds before she was screaming at me.

She even said- no joke- you are lucky I didn't let my rottweiler loose!

For the finds table

Barry Barry
Apr '18

Nice find on the padlock. I have yet to find one of those.

Each of my last 2 times out I have found a musketball.

I will probably go out today- shoot me an email if you are available.

Is that a keg tap?
I have my dads pocket knife, similar to that one.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '18

Hi, Yes I think it is a keg tap. It's tapered on the stem. found near Morris canal (Stanhope)

The knife was in a farm field

The lock was cooked in the electrolyze tank for a few (no name on it)

Got fooled today on this 1885 coin Not!, Mazuma play money from a company named Scovill. (1930's ??) Here is a link, http://scovillbulletin.com/ great rescores for early manufacturing. Lot of old company PDF bulletins to down load. Hats off to the guy who did that. Found it up near Vernon looking for the Crabtree Island Treasure. I have been search for years. Google it, very cool.

Barry Barry
Apr '18

She sounds like a real peach, Josh. She probably let her rottie loose on her husband.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '18

Just found a 1852 U.S. silver 3 cent piece- It is called a Trime.

Didn't know what it was, had to google it. I still love this hobby.

Got out today for the first time this year.

Only found modern change, 3 wheats and a buffalo nickle..but a nice warm sunny day outside is still great.

What makes a property good to search on? Clyde has a metal detector, no idea how to use it. Interested in learning how and where to go.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '19

Anywhere is good to search when learning.

You need to understand what the machine is telling you about what it is seeing under the ground.

Best way to do that is simply get out and go!

Josh, Dinaldsons farm posted today there is a lost bracelet on the grassy area at the farm. Thought you might be interested in looking around.

Molly
Jul '19

If anyone can put them in touch with me, I would happily go look for it for them.

Click the envelope for my email.

My buddy found an 1875 seated liberty dime on Sunday locally.

Always looking for new places to search. Also always have stuff to share here- but unless others respond to this post it locks me out.

Unlock Josh. Gotta see more cool things. What a crappy app...or whatever this site is, that you can’t post unless someone else does afterwards.
Keep us posted on your treasures and thanks!

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '19

I love seeing your findings Josh. Just recently found an Instagram account of a teenager around Maryland who uses his metal detector to find old Civil War buckles, buttons, and bullets. It's so interesting what's sitting right below your feet.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Jul '19

Hello Josh, How much does a detector cost and where is the best place to purchase one?

Anywhere from about $200 to over $2000.

All depends on what you want to do with it. If you scroll up on this thread, the question has been asked before somewhere.

Hey Josh
I have a old farm here in Blairstown. have found a couple neat things without a detector.Maybe you can come over and give me some pointers?
Len

leonard p mccarthy leonard p mccarthy
Jul '19

Most definitely. Shoot me an email.

Also- if you don't mind, my detecting buddy who is a retired cop, and prior Army like myself, would probably love to come along.

Let us know what your favorite beer is and we will make sure to bring plenty on ice for you!

Magnet fishin’
Looks fun

http://mensmagdaily.com/he-hit-the-jackpot-magnet-fishing/

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '19

Pulled a '43 WWII silver nickel today.

and a small toy pistol that is probably oldish as well.

Do you think all the rain brings stuff to the surface?
*just commenting so you can post again ;-)

Bentley
Aug '19

I think it sometimes needs multiple people to respond to open back up for me.

I've tried to respond before after one person responds and I am still locked out sometimes.

I don't think rain brings anything up. If anything loosens the soil and allows stuff to sink.

That being said- there is only soo much mass in an object.

Eventually a button, coin, bullet, trinket, doesn't have enough weight to push aside the dirt anymore and it stops where it is at unless turned over by a plow or some think freeze thaw.

Most stuff is 3-4 inches on average.

Nice day today. I might head out- but have nowhere new to go so little motivation.

Giving this a bump to unlock. Did you ever get out to that old farm?

hktownie hktownie
Aug '19

Second bump just in case you need it. I always enjoy learning about your finds, Josh.

Quiet One Quiet One
Aug '19

Hi everyone.

Went out for a few hours with a friend the other day- nothing interesting, just modern change. Oldest I found was mid-60's. My buddy found pretty much the same except for a 1941 nickel.

Haven't made it out to the farm yet. Work and life get in the way.

Went out for a short while yesterday before my allergies kicked in and I came home.

Found another canister shot ball.

Found a silver ring in the woods yesterday.

Josh

Too bad it isn't that other silvery-looking metal, you know, that Platinum stuff!

Awesome find nonetheless!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '19

I wonder if they would let you go around in Waterloo village? Some great finds in there i bet!

hktownie hktownie
Nov '19

hktownie

Technically it's a State Park and they only allow metal detecting on certain parks with beaches. For Lake Hopatcong, you can only hunt in certain areas and at certain times and you need to apply at the Park office for a permit to do so. If you have no permit, you get cited, wrong time or area you can get cited too. I believe some organized groups may have been allowed to search at Waterloo, but everything had to be turned over to the State. It was more for the fun and adventure of the hunt (and bragging rights), rather than for any gain.

The State of NJ website has info on which State Parks you can hunt in and when you're allowed to do it.

Delaware Water Gap with all its Historic hotel ruins is also a place where metal detecting is outlawed. Again, "technically", even picking up a rock or a fossil, etc. can get you cited and charged - on a Federal level, I may add. Not worth the risk in my book. Nothing that valuable to me, no Beale Treasure or buried Confederate gold, although supposedly old Camp Nordland at Lake Illif is supposed to be the site of a Nazi gold cache put there to help finance the "Fourth Reich", or so the tale goes.

Of course the other challenge in the area of Waterloo is the high iron content of the soil. As Josh could tell you better than I and unless the discrimination ability is much improved over the last ten years, you can miss a lot of small targets or get many false readings or none at all due to overloaded signal, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '19

Went back into the woods yesterday and pulled 6 wheats in just over an hour and a 1940 nickel.

Oldest wheat was a 1917

Back in the woods today- pulled another 2 wheats in the first 10 minutes and whatever this thing is-

What thing? The picture didn't post.

Seenit
Nov '19

Sorry

Did a little searching and it kind of looked like an 1893 Chicago World’s Fair Commemorative coin. Unfortunately, my cat hopped up on my lap and I was not able to locate it again on a second search. Good luck finding its origin!

Spring fever Spring fever
Nov '19

Just in case others are interested- I am part of a team working on a new metal detector.

I can't say much right now, but keep an eye on Tnet as we release more info. :)

Josh-
AviTech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind...

Went back to the woods today where I found all those other wheats- as I have a belief that where there are several wheats there is a good chance of finding silver.

I found 7 wheats. 6 complete- and another that apparently was shot with a gun!

Bored hunter many years ago?

Oldest wheats (need to check with magnification) appear to be 1911 and 1926.

And sure enough, a silver- 1907 Barber dime. :)

Hey Josh and fellow detectorists. I'm relatively new to metal detecting but live close to Hackettstown. Josh if you are looking for a detecting buddy shoot me an email. I only have a bounty hunter tracker IV so don't worry about me getting the best finds lol. Keep swinging and good luck.

Reed- welcome!

Always fun to have more people in the hobby. Just need the ground to thaw back out.

Also, thanks for replying as this forum locks me out from posting if nobody responds.

I had wanted to post this, but wasn't able to- (see pic)

I went back to spot mentioned above...and found all 3 of these in the same afternoon. :)

and then a few days later found an indian head penny.

So cool. Please keep the finds coming! My son is dying for me to find a good place for him to go hunting.

Charles Charles
May '20

FYI

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jun/02/theres-a-romanticism-about-nighthawking-but-its-theft-when-metal-detectorists-go-rogue

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '20

Why would you post that?

Detectorists as a hobby generally don't go sneaking around at historical locations stealing artifacts. Pretty strong bias in that article, and the history, significance and laws are completely different in those countries.

The vast majority spend countless hours for much of nothing..certainly not to make a profit, and almost always at a private land with permission, or public land where it is legal.

Go look here at what is found...and even at that, keep in mind people spend sometimes months between finding something even worth sharing- https://www.reddit.com/r/metaldetecting/

I love seeing all the goodies you find...…. as kids my parents were part owners of a ski lodge in Vermont. The building could have been hundreds of years old for all I know. there was a "carriage" house that use to house the carriages for the horses...it was just a really cool place.

At one time they were doing some kind of construction and as kids we LOVED finding all sorts of bottles that were being dug up. I LOVED it. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to metal detect now. Might be something for me to look into.

Keep the pics coming!

sandblaster sandblaster
Jun '20

I’ve been following your thread for several years. I find it fascinating. Thank you for sharing information and photos.

Jun '20

Josh - im new at metal detecting - just got a decent one from amazon - wanna take someone on? someone who's learning new trades during a virus? lol

I also became a trout fisherman lately. Expanding horizons!

reach out directly if interested 973-418-9741

thaimaster1978 thaimaster1978
Jun '20

@Josh: how lucky is this?:
https://www.businessinsider.com/gold-buried-since-iron-age-found-metal-detector-denmark-2021-9

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '21

Wow- yea- mind blowing!! There are a couple articles a year where people in old countries find hoards / caches of very old treasure.

Thai master- sorry I didn't reply earlier, as I just saw your post. This website is crude in many ways- there is no way that I am aware of to get email / sms notification of a thread update.

There is also no way for me to just come here and post the finds I get- because if nobody replies- the system blocks me from posting as it wants others to respond.

I should make a new / better hackettstown web forum. ;)

To anyone else that see's this post- I am still always looking for new places to search- even if only a curb strip or small patch of grass. Or woods- or a farm field- pretty much anything.

Found my first standing liberty quarter recently.

Yesterdays finds other than modern coins- a star earring, truck pin, and oddly- a 1935 mercury dime that has a shooting star punched through it and a loop to hang on a necklace. My buddy found a pocket watch.

If nobody responds- the forum software will probably lock me out from posting again until someone does.

Josh

Interesting finds. Waste of a dime in otherwise nice condition. It looks as though there's something stamped into the neck as well as the shooting star punch out.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '21

The words stamped says "Sterling Sun" which I am guessing is whatever company punched the holes in it.

I love to see your finds!

Keep sharing!

Seenit
Oct '21

Ok. But if nobody responds after I post - or you so t see me post after a while- the system locked me out and gives me an error- ‘let other people have a chance’.

Went out with a friend today- and found this in hackettstown… every single person reading this has driven within a hundred feet of where this was sitting for the last 200+ years…

could be a cool couple hundred for you. good job

Ser positivo Ser positivo
Oct '21

I've never sold a single thing I find- nor have I spent any of the coins.

This hobby isn't about 'value'.

Josh,
I look forward to your posts and love to see what you find. I’m curious about where you found the coin…… But I understand if you want to keep that confidential to preserve it for future searches

Maythree Maythree
Oct '21

It was found on public property.

...and yea "I'll be back".

Backside-

Very cool!

I found an old make up case that has the remainder of gold gilt.

Bumping this up. Hopefully, Josh will post some of the new unusual finds.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '23

Morning Phil.

Yea- the problem with this forum software- if nobody else responds- it locks me out from posting- seems to sometimes take 2-3 people to post before it lets me back in.

As we also all know- not the best for picture posting either.

On the topic of unusual finds- in the woods yesterday I found an clip on badge / medal from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition ( Chicago World's Fair )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Columbian_Exposition

I need to clean it up before pictures.

Wild find... for us Chicago is jump on a plane or roadtrip in a car... back then it was a looooong trip in a wagon.

I'm pretty sure there was passenger rail to Chicago by that time... still probably a pretty long ride though.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '23

Josh, my son asked me (of all things) about metal detectors a few days ago. You posted a find in the snow thread and now this thread was revived. Seems like a sign :)

A quick google search showed a VAST array of differnt units with price-points all over the place. What’s a decent unit cost and what would you recommend? Just looking for now but I wouldn’t want to spend $180 when I could spend $300 for a “good one.” If we got a detector, we would want something that actually produces results. I’m sure it’s like anything else in life where you get what you pay for but I saw prices from $150-$8499!

Consigliere
Feb '23

You can borrow a metal detector from the county library for a month although not a very good one - Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 . You have to wave it back and forth for it to detect . I got it to locate the metal cap for my well and it barely did that . If anything it will show you how ineffective the cheap ones are . They also loan out a children's model .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '23

A friend just picked up the Minelab 600 with a pin pointer for $300. Used once or twice by the prior owner. That's half price off new and the pin pointer is about $100. I would look for a used set up if possible.

Good info 97x and Greg. Thanks!

Consigliere
Feb '23

97x- the vast majority of detectors require motion to detect.

Greg- that's a great deal on the 600 & pinpointer!!

I'd have bought that myself- just as a loaner for friends / family to come out. And yes- like most things in life- used is the value proposition.

Consi- a lot has changed since I started this hobby & thread- but the truth remains- just about any decent, yes even old and crude, detector will find 95% of targets normally found in dirt.

The better detectors just TRY to tell you more detailed guess- deal with electrical interference, and maybe a little deeper...but we are talking the last inch and most stuff is 2-4.

There have been great advancements- but at a very basic level- those advancements are more of a 'help me understand' identification so you dig less trash- and wrapped in comfort & convenience features.

Meaning- my first detector was an ACE 350 that only had a digital bar graph- so would beep and show a block indicator over a range from low to high. Earlier detectors simply had a needle that swung over a similar range.

I soon wanted to know a little better what I was digging- so I upgraded to an AT Pro because it showed a # for the readout that was a more narrow indicator than the block. These days almost all the detectors will show a #.

The lower end detectors now also do things that used to be for the very expensive models- 'ground balance' to read the soil minerals and adjust for better response, 'noise cancel' to adjust for any power lines nearby.

Those are helpful to clean up the chatter- but it's more a mental thing- the detector will still detect- but YOUR brain can get overloaded, tired, lazy and swing past something. Slow down, scrub the ground. Listen.

Older detectors ran at a single frequency- so most aimed for a 'general' frq- such as 14k to be good at average. Small gold responds better to higher freq, silver and deeper objects responds better to lower freq- so guys used to have a detector based on what they were looking for- so many in the hobby often had more than one detector.

Then there were a few detectors you could change the frq it ran at. Some required switching the search coil.

Now thanks to faster processors and better tech- a lot of detectors are 'simultaneous multi frequency' that quickly scan a wide range of freq to try to better detect everything. And on many- you can pick different modes that shift the 'weight' of the frq scale towards what you want. As example 'deep high conductor' mode will be low freq and 'gold mode' will be high freq weighted- even in 'multi' which still allows the detector to compare data and give you it's best guess.

But- that's all it is= a more capable guess to let you know what's what. An old cheap detector will still give a signal- and no matter what- it's up to your brain to figure it all out. It's a thinking man's hobby...IF you want it to be. BUT- if you get too picky about 'I'm not going to dig that' you WILL miss all sorts of GREAT stuff. The reality is- if the signal is in the range of a target you want- dig it and you can be surprised...until you have done it enough that you are no longer surprised. :P

If you get in an area that has anything remotely old- (I use wheat pennies as my marker)- you will want to start digging more stuff. Especially once you get back into the 1800's. You never know what you are going to find.

Just last week I dug a old Led Zeppelin token- picture attached. If someone was 'cherry picking' they would never have got this.

The other things nicer detectors have is things like waterproof, wireless headphones, built in rechargeable batteries....but again- an old CHEAP detector will still 'find' 85% or more of what's out there... it's up to you what the price of 'a little less junk' is... and no matter what- yah, you will dig a LOT of junk.

And again, don't get me wrong- I like convenience, more comfortable, lighter weight, rechargeable, wireless headphones, waterproof... but that doesn't mean that a cheap detector from 10+ years ago won't still find great stuff.

Last note- IF you want to go to the beach- salt water- you WILL need a decent detector that is designed to handle the salt- there are a lot more options these days but ASK before you buy.

Josh

I figured you were locked out;-)

"1893 World's Columbian Exposition," that's when the first major display of that newfangled electric lighting took place, lit by Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla. There was a huge competition as to whether Edison or Westinghouse would get the contract for the lighting and once Westinghouse won the competition, Edison refused to let them use his bulbs, so they had to rely on another manufacturer's bulbs. It was nicknamed "The White City," due to the brilliance of the lights! Tesla also displayed his radio controlled submarine there, but the celebrations were also marred by a number of murders in the area. Great historic collectible and I hope you'll post it when cleaned!!

97XBAM

The idea behind most detectors is that the coils set up an electromagnetic field. If it's held steady, the field remains uninterrupted. The detector coil (and accordingly, its electromagnetic field) needs to be moved because as it passes over a metal item, the item interrupts the field, sending feedback to the control unit and a meter or audio signal to the user. Of course that's a simplified description, but that's why you need to move the coil from side to side as you walk forward. If you only held it straight in front of you as you walked, the ability to sense the disruption of the field is minimized.

Josh mentioned to always dig. I've read many accounts of people finding canning or other jars full of coins and/or old bills, that were only recovered due to the steel top being sensed. The steel top blocking the signal from the coins below and of course bills don't get sensed at all!

As Josh mentioned, detectors have come a long way since the days when they were adapted from military usage detecting land mines. While there were earlier devices, dating back into the mid 1800's, the first practical detector was being worked on in Poland, until the invasion of Poland in 1939. Work on the invention was continued in France, then in Great Britain after France too was invaded. Just like the Hovercraft, which the Brits claim as their invention, but was actually invented right next door in Sussex County, NJ, the invention was given as a gift to the British Government for the war effort.

Some neat links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_mine_detector

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_detector

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '23

I have that exact same Zeppelin pendant. Original from the late seventies or early eighties. Probably stolen from the Spencer’s Gifts. (shhhhh, I know. Naughty, naughty). Josh has the only other one I’ve ever seen. Very cool. Just don’t dig up my high school yearbook.:-)

Feb '23

Picture before I clean it up a bit just in case it doesn’t go well.

You guys keep posting, and I can keep responding and putting up various pictures.

Great info on detectors, Josh. It’s great to know that basically anything at any price point will detect metal and you can add features from there.

Consigliere
Feb '23

Found a KG II half penny in the woods yesterday.

So somewhere between 1728-54, but there em were 2 types- young head and old head.

The lower edge of the earlier younger shoulder is a slight upward curve- smile ) for lack of better description- then in 1740 switched to frown ( curved downward.

So this is a younger- between 1728-1739

Joss, I really enjoy seeing what you’ve found. Thanks for posting

Carole Marie Carole Marie
Feb '23

I was contacted by a fellow Hackettstown Life forum member who had lost his wedding ring in his yard.

I was able to get over there for a few hours this afternoon- but was unsuccessful in locating his ring. :(

I did luck out and found an 1888 Indian Head penny though.

Thanks again for the opportunity and adventure!

Found ring story

https://newjersey.news12.com/amp/metal-detector-hobbyist-reunites-owner-with-wedding-ring-lost-more-than-20-years-ago

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '23

I saw that the other night on TV.

If you look back to Dec '17- I found a college class ring from 1950.

It was engraved and I looked up the name- it appears he died in 2008.

I reached out to his family on Facebook but they never responded.

There is a new show in TV called 'Search Party' that is a guy who scuba dives with a metal detector.

I watched a few episodes- but disappointingly like most 'reality TV' it's garbage.

He refers to himself as 'a youtube sensation'- claims to be the best ever at this- while hooting and hollering- at finding a soda can for drama.

He is driving shots in his truck while wearing dive gloves (more than once)...and is using a 'PI' detector... which yes detects very deep- but is old school and completely the wrong detector for what he is doing.

When what he was using was new- most other detectors would have not been waterproof to dive- nor have handled salt water. His does both.

But the problem is- his will beep at ANY metal- iron, aluminum, etc...

For the last 5+ years you can buy modern detectors that are waterproof, salt capable, AND discriminate out the junk... sure they may only hit a target at 8-10 inches when his will at 12-14-16- BUT he isn't digging a foot under the ocean floor.

He is using the wrong tool for the job- and making a fool of himself to people that know the hobby.

I could make a youtube channel that would be MUCH more realistic... just wouldn't be professionally edited with drama and BS sound effects and music.

I actually bought all the gear to go dive under water and search last winter...but was waiting on the underwater camera stuff to arrive...and then we got all this rain.

There is a particular spot I want to hit but the water is currently high, fast and brown.

That being said- as always- if anyone has a patch of grass myself and maybe bring my buddy so we can both search- just let me know.

I've also thought about starting a local metal detecting club to meet up- similar to what you see on the TV series 'The Detectorists'

There is SOOO much old stuff all around us that you guys walk over all the time and have no idea.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.