Hunter orange clothing question

Hi
Is it mandatory for hunters to wear orange? I ask because I ran into 5 hunters today in the woods and only 1 had an orange hat. They are difficult to see in the area I was in. This was Stephens state park.

A good day
Nov '15

Bow hunters don't need it today was first day of muzzleloader so that's pry the dude with orange

The point is to be hard to see ;)

Hunter Orange Requirement

All hunters with firearms for deer, rabbit, hare, squirrel, fox of game birds must wear a cap of solid Hunter Orange or other outer garment with at least 200 square inches of Hunter Orange visible from all sides. (Exception: waterfowl, wild turkey and bow hunters.)

Nosila Nosila
Nov '15

Thanks Tj and Nosila. They all had muzzleloading guns though. Oh well I will find another place to hike.

A good day
Nov '15

If they are/aren't wearing orange, how does that affect where you hike?

If you're worried about being seen, you can also wear orange.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '15

They prob had a hat that they took off once out of their stand.

Most state land allows hunting- so I wouldn't stop hiking. I would recommend wearing orange while hiking- it's always better to be safe

Nosila Nosila
Nov '15

Thanks I do keep a hat and vest in my car and usually put it on. The one hunter passed us on the trail and fired his gun about 20 ft from us. It was so loud! Anyway , it was a great day for a hike and i will remember to wear orange.

A good day
Nov '15

Next Monday is week of shotgun I would just walk on a treadmill that week or crawl on your belly dressed in orange city boys will be out dying to shoot something

Some yahoo decided to put his stand in the woods about 75 yards from my house over the weekend. He got a visit from my husband telling him to move it. He was courteous enough about it, but how he couldn't see my house when he was putting it up is baffling.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

Bow hunting you only need 150 feet from a house to be legal

I know that, but they weren't setting up for bow. Otherwise, it has to be 400 ft. as far as I know.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

It's 450 feet for firearms.

That's a hunting regulation, not a "firearm" law, so if there is someone not cooperating with a polite request to move, contact a DEP conservation officer.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Nov '15

If you purposely keep your back turned toward a house you won't see the house ;)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Nov '15

So true Lori.

happiest girl
Dec '15

Thanks Mark. I knew it was somewhere in that range. Like I said, they were nice enough about it.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '15

We were hiking Friday and heard shots - i think for geese that day?
Anyone have a suggestion- where can we find orange vests to wear while hiking?

Something comfy and soft, nothing plastic or nylon I don't want to hear all that swishing while we walk. Cabelas has some but way expensive.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '15

I bought them I think at walmarrt. I use the hats and vest.

A good day
Dec '15

Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hunting%20vest

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '15

Exactly, Lori! lol

Quick question: isn't there a bear season happening now? Or shortly?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '15

Thank you, WalMart has quite a few to choose from!

hktownie hktownie
Dec '15

Starting Monday December 7 it is the traditional shotgun buck week. Hunters can take bucks, does, and bears if they have the correct licenses and permits. That runs through saturday. Probably best to stay out of wooded areas on Monday and Saturday as they will be the highest concentration of hunters for the whole season.

Fishmaker1 Fishmaker1
Dec '15

Sundays are no hunting days, so the safest day to hike.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '15

I snowshoe in the park in winter and wear a bright red ski coat but still put on my safety orange mesh vest with reflective stripes on it (just in case). It's light, fastens with velcro and you don't feel it over the coat, my friend got it from me from ebay I think, maybe something like that will be more comfy for you. I also wear it if I run at night (since it has reflective stripes too) - since it's mesh it doesn't get hot.

I've only ever seen 2 hunters in the past 8 years or so, I probably should pay more attention to hunting season when I go, but when the snow calls...

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Dec '15

Thank you for that info, Fishmaker.

Depends on the season, hktownie. Sunday hunting is allowed for bow hunters during bow/deer season, for example.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '15

thanks Rebecka, didn't realize that!

dadogmomma how would one get started snowshoeing? That sounds like something we would like to try.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '15

Re: Hunter orange clothing question

hktownie, I went the "just do it" route and I love it! I bought a pair of snowshoes online (amazon) and got poles from Ramsey outdoor. The most important bit of gear is to find a good pair of waterproof boots that are super comfortable, for the rest I use my ski gear (pants, coat, glove and goggles if it's snowing). I only use my snowshoe boots with my snow shoes or to walk the 1/4 mile or so on the roads into the woods so that I'm "preserving" them since I like them so much. Just walk into the snow, gear up (once you adjust your shoes the first time, you can just clip them on every time after), and go!

Any hiking trails will do - anywhere you have a good snow cover - just have to make sure you have enough snowfall that if you hit a rock you don't damage a crampon. My poles can be used with a spike end or a square end depending on conditions. I got my friend into it and she goes on the golf course close to her house.

If you like hiking you will probably enjoy it, I love it as I don't have to drive to a ski area to ski, I'm usually out there alone and it's so beautiful and a GREAT workout!

Every year I go past this large rock and draw a face into it with my pole - instant snowman. It's great to see the places you hike in the summer transformed into a winter wonderland.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Dec '15

Sunday bow hunting is only permitted on privately owned land and on Wildlife Management Areas, which are the state owned lands that are managed by the Div of Fish and Wildlife. There is no Sunday deer hunting at all on other state owned park land - State Parks or Forests - or on county or municipal owned parkland.

gadfly gadfly
Dec '15

Thanks Gadfly. Good info.

A good day
Dec '15

As TJ says, just stay out of woods next week, they'll be shooting anything that moves.

I (non-hunter, but in the woods a lot) always wear blaze orange in the late Fall and Winter. It's no big deal.

MrCharlie
Dec '15

Any hunter worth his or her salt is going to have a clear visual on their target and backstop - especially with modern inline muzzleloader (you only get once chance)

skippy skippy
Dec '15

You're right skippy, but unfortunately there are some people out there who are not worth their salt. Hunting shooting accidents are very uncommon, but anyone going into the woods this time of year should take precautions.

gadfly gadfly
Dec '15

agreed

2015 – 2016 Season Key Dates:

Sept. 12 – Oct 2 – Early Fall Bow, Zones 4-8 only
Sept. 26 (Saturday) – Youth Bow
Oct. 3 – Oct 30 – Fall Bow, Statewide
Nov. 21 (Saturday) – Youth Firearm
Dec. 7 – Dec. 12, 2015 (Monday – Saturday) – Six-day Firearm Deer / Bear Hunt
Small Game – Hunted throughout the year, for info, check here.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/smgame_info.htm

Tips: Stay on designated hiking trails. Make noise as you hike. Avoid wearing brown/tan or white (deer colors) and have blaze orange visible from all directions. In general, hunting is done very early or late in the day.

Overall Bow Range:
Sept. 12, 2015 – Feb. 20, 2016
(Sundays are WMAs only. No hunting Christmas/Thanksgiving)
Overall Firearm Range (none on Sunday):
Nov. 23 – Dec. 4 (M – F, except Thanksgiving)
Dec. 7 – 31 (M – SA, except Christmas Day)
Jan. 1 – Feb. 13, 2016 (M – SA)

Skippy Skippy
Dec '15

Good info. In my mind, people in the woods hunting season should know what season it is and what type of hunting is permitted on the property they are visiting. And, they should were blaze orange in any firearm season.

Be safe out there folks, and don't let hunting keep you out of the woods.... except for next week, that is. I always think its a good idea to avoid the woods during 6 day firearm season, which is this Monday through Saturday.

gadfly gadfly
Dec '15

PSA for those who haven't heard: additional bear hunting days have been authorized: this coming Wednesday through Saturday. (Don't put your bright clothes away just yet if you're a hiker... be safe out there.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.