Anyone else receiving random Facebook friend requests these days?

This appears to be happening more and more these days. It's exciting to receive the new friend notice, yet a let down when it's another unknown name!

stayintune stayintune
Nov '15

If you allow requests, you can count on the random ones. It's been that way for a long time, and with bully marketers it won't stop anytime soon.

If you ask me, it's even worse when you get requests that aren't random... The 5 people you know you'd never do business with are the first 5 in line. Then comes the long lost cousins, the ex's, the university student from Vietnam that *DEMANDS* you program their assignment for them, 4 different life coaches who can help everyone but can't seem to sell their own service, the Microsoft Lotto president officially announcing your multi-million pound (never in US $) you just won of you only send $1000 to an internet cafe in Sierra Leone, the 58 people that saw your name on a web board once so they're no longer strangers, the stalker from the photo mart, and ....

Oh wait, the photo mart guy was Robin Williams. He's no longer a concern, RIP funnyman.

FB issued a post just yesterday saying not to accept these "strange" requests.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Nov '15

I have gotten 4 different stranger requests in the last week. I just delete them.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

I was going to do that programming for that guy in Vietnam but once he found out that i only know FORTRAN he called me a dinosaur and told me to forget it.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '15

That's been happening to me too. I keep getting random requests from people I have no mutual friends with. These people are not even from this area so I don't know how they find me. I just deny the request

melissa melissa
Nov '15

Just 1 (the other day.)

angelina angelina
Nov '15

Although I have received random requests, my bigger problem is without doing anything, my account sends out friend requests. I have no idea how or why. They are to people I do not know, nor have any mutual friends. So now whenever I close out of Facebook, I check my account to see if any requests have been sent. Sometimes I find one or two. I immediately delete them. Has anyone else experienced this?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Nov '15

I haven't had either issue - check your settings - there may be one or two that need tweaking

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '15

Parental unit it sounds like you've been phished. Change your password.

Njchia Njchia
Nov '15

"my bigger problem is without doing anything, my account sends out friend requests. "

I had a few of those. They always went to friends of friends.

I'm now friends with Clyde Potts as a result. Friends with his wonderful wife, Bessie? Sure, no problem. Friends with Clyde...mixed results so far. LOL.

OK, that was a made up story. They're both wonderful people but I did have random facebook friend requests send out on my behalf.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '15

Thanks for the advice to change my password. I did that immediately. Hopefully that will work, sometthing I never thought to do.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Nov '15

lmao @ emaxx

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '15

Zuckerberg is a sell out. He's an H1b1 Visa cheap labor baffoon !! Left facebook a long time ago and many others i know have also.

Clarice
Nov '15

And where does Zuckerberg live and spend HIS millions? Hong Kong, of course. What a jerk... can't even live or pay taxes in the country that made him a billionaire. I never had a Facebook account and not planning on getting one. This forum is about as close to "anti-social " media I get . I call it that because the living room is dead, nobody will talk to neighbors any more (in person), I rarely see kids outside or riding bikes. Even in summer. Last winter, I didn't even see one snowman. I guess I'll have to make one myself...lol. There's always an exception to the rule, just saying that over the last 10 years I've seen a major decrease in actual human interaction and kids outside. It's so quiet here now that it's like a senior community and there's lots of kids here.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Nov '15

Well said sparks, I completely agree with you!

positive positive
Nov '15

I just received a Facebook friend request from Dave Sayers from the Publishers Clearing House! Maybe I won it big - LOL

stayintune stayintune
Nov '15

I completely agree with sparks!! Great comment! I can't stand Facebook. Way too much additional drama!!

bepositive bepositive
Nov '15

I haven't received any random requests, but my account sent out a request to someone I don't know. Only found out because they accepted it. I deleted it immediately.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Nov '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.