Buying Blinds/Cordless Shades

Looking online to buy some new shades and looking for advice on best place to order or purchase. Not looking to spend a fortune, or anything out of the ordinary. I find the whole window treatment purchasing a bit stressful, so many types, making sure you know what the heck you're measuring, not a favorite of mine but I have to get them and I've procrastinated long enough. Very close to ordering from one of the places online but a little voice keeps telling me "you'll be sorry" If they're wrong, then I have to send them back, maybe buying in a store is a better option. Helpppp!

Bessie Bessie
Nov '15

Had a great experience with blindster.com. They will even chat with you over the phone for any concerns or questions you may have. We had blinds custom fitted for our windows and I am beyond pleased with the results.

ladeevee ladeevee
Nov '15

Not to name names but let's just say that certain felines can be rough on some window items...

I got replacements at blinds.com and was quite happy. Everything was ordered custom to the inch and it was exact. No complaints or reservations about buying again. If you find a good deal, go with it.

I've used blinds.com and the experience has been good. I've also purchased several at lowes and like the convenience of getting them immediately - prices I thought were also better for basic blinds.

I ordered online years ago -good prices and good quality - can't remember which site but ===

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '15

I bought my blinds at Wal-Mart. (They have shades also) No problems with the single window size, but the larger ones I bought I have issues with pulling them up or down. I need to find a better quality and replace them. I also noticed a difference in color between different sizes. Some white actually looked off white. I do prefer seeing and purchasing them in person, but I may try blinds.com this time.

One important tip I have for you, no matter where you buy them: when measuring, be sure to measure from the very top of the window where the shades/blinds will be installed. Not halfway up or as far as you can reach. I've learned the hard way that it's not always the same measurement.

Bought a bunch a long time ago when they had a sale at Lowes. All special order. Be sure to triple measure and understand what you are measuring (inside opening or outside dimension to the trim). If you can get by with non-custom you will save money, I was not able to do so...

I know you said online but try Paintpourri. Very helpful there.

vicnity vicnity
Nov '15

Amazon.com

I like the white wood ones

Nosila Nosila
Nov '15

I have always had great luck with JCPenney.

Re: Buying Blinds/Cordless Shades

We did our whole house with the faux wood blinds from Lowes. They were very reasonably priced and easy to install. We're pretty happy with them. I included a picture and here's the link. http://m.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-2-in-White-Faux-Wood-Room-Darkening-Plantation-Blinds-Common-35-in-Actual-34-5-in-x-64-in/50261469

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Nov '15

I redid the whole downstairs with real wood from Lowes except the front window is not a standard size. Had to go to blinds.com for the custom size. And then upstairs just for individual replacements the cats mangled were all custom so had to do on-line for those too.

I have used blindstogo.com. They are very helpful if you call them and give great advice on how to measure. Very easy to install as well.

They have a lifetime guarantee and at one point I had to send one back due to a cord jamming and it was a very easy replacement process.

I have also ordered blinds and assorted window treatments through Paintpourri and they always do a good job. They will charge you for measuring and installation but it is well worth it . Good luck!

BrandyB BrandyB
Nov '15

Selectblinds.com has good prices and frequent sales (buy 3 get 1 free). They have the wand-less miniblinds where when you raise them up the blinds tilt in one direction, and when you lower them they tilt in the other direction. Order your blinds with the exact width dimension but pad the length a little to allow for getting the tilt correct. Very good customer service and a large choice of colors.

Re: Buying Blinds/Cordless Shades

Blinds.com! Very pleased, did a few at a time as finances permitted. Went with smooth faux wood for ease of cleaning. I like them very much. Very good customer service, they sent one the wrong size, and promptly sent the correct one. Here are my kitchen ones. My husband is handy, so he is able to handle measuring and installing.

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

Peggy, it's the measuring that is so intimidating to me. Your blinds look beautiful

Bessie Bessie
Nov '15

Used Country Curtains for insulated roller shades. Basically roller shades but thicker and some fringe at the bottom. Previous model used normal spring roller mechanism and broke over time due to thickness and extra spring strength needed to roll.

New version uses a manual rope pulley system, no springs. Installs as easy or easier than normal roller shade. Need to add a new bottom rope bracket to make it work, not a big deal. Shade is nice and you can roll next to window for max insulation or away from window for better looks. Because shade is thicker some risk of wrinkles.

A little pricey and time will tell if windows are "warmer," too many wrinkles or pulley system really does not work but so far it's good.

For other basic shades I'm going to blinds.com.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '15

A while ago, but Blinds.com was more than Lowes on sale. Seems like a lot of people have used Lowes, plus they are good when orders get messed up...

Bessie, I know how you feel on the measuring. Our friends used Blinds.com too, and the rep was helpful to them, guiding them through the measuring.

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

I have a somewhat old house so hanging drapes is my blind-ing nightmare. Have one wall where the wall goes one way, the floors the other, the windows another and the fireplace/chimney a third.

We put the first bracket in, put the drape up while I hold the second bracket. My darling wife, yeah now it's her judgment call, spots what looks best from the far side of the room. I mark the spot, take it all down, put up the second bracket and voilĂ  --- visually level !!!!

Who needs to measure!!!

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.