Sprint vs. Verizon in Htown/Independence

Anyone in Hackettstown/Independence use Sprint!? Tired really tired of paying 225/month for verizon.

Newab Newab
Sep '15

Verizon has a much better coverage area in Hackettstown. I have had Verizon, AT&T AND Sprint.. There are a lot of dead zones for Sprint and AT&T.. Especially on the out skirts of Hackettstown.. I hate paying the high fees to Verizon as well but they are far more better and reliable then Sprint.. I paid to leave Sprint early because I was getting dropped calls and no service in the Hackettstown area

Driver247 Driver247
Sep '15

I have Sprint, and service in the area is improving. I used to have Verizon, and it was definitely better than Sprint is even now, but to me it wasn't worth the price differential.

I agree with Driver, the outskirts of town can be iffy...especially past Stevens State Park on Willow Grove/Waterloo Rd. My biggest complaint is with the lack of 4G coverage. It's spotty in most of Hackettstown proper (a few months ago was essentially non-existent). Some of the best coverage including 4G is along Route 57 near Kohls...and believe it or not up in Independence by Field of Dreams.

Route 46
Sep '15

I switched over from sprint to AT&T. AT&T has better lte coverage than sprint ever did for me and the area where I work and live in town.

Lostit
Sep '15

I have Sprint and haven't had a lot of problems with dropped calls near the hospital. Further up Waterloo, Verizon and AT&T drop out just like Sprint does.

4G with Sprint is generally very spotty because it's a non-standard kind. They're in the process of switching that so you can get more 4G as well as roam on other suppliers which you didn't used to be able to do.

Because of the unlimited plan that I still have, I won't be leaving Sprint any time soon. Just having to get away from that would triple my bill with any other carrier. And the horrendous customer service experiences with Verizon means I'll never go there.

I enjoy where this topic is going; away from Verizon.

Atthedrivein Atthedrivein
Sep '15

Verizon has best coverage for independence. Everyone else has spotty signal or dropped calls.

Funny lady Funny lady
Sep '15

I agree with GC sprint has improved
In this area and all carriers seem to drop calls ]ast the hospital on waterloo

john doe
Sep '15

I agree with GC...we had verizon for years and found them to be so expensive and where I live in GM, service was bad.
I switched to sprint back in 06 and haven't had any problems. Yes, we get dropped calls, but I feel all companies have certain areas where the calls are dropped.
I thought of switching to at&t, but we are grandfathered in with an excellent plan, which I will never find anywhere.

justcurious justcurious
Sep '15

Total wireless sold by Walmart stores use verizon towers, save money don't let Veriozn Att or whatever cell phone company charge you more the you should pay for service, I have Cricket for year now, best thing ever, same service less money.

http://sale.totalwireless.com/?utm_source=IMM&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DR&utm_content=google&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

Tinkodinko Tinkodinko
Sep '15

Hi...found this and hoping I can get an updated infro since last post is 2015.
Has Sprint improved alot in this area? Also interested if you live in Panther Valley is Sprint good or not? What about ATT? Thanks!

soccermom soccermom
Oct '18

verizon works well for me un PV with the exception of two small dead spots- verizon did give me a network extender a few years ago because of poor reception

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

I don't live in PV but visit occasionally. Haven't had a big problem with Sprint. As I had said before I haven't had a big problem with Sprint for years. I even get 4G although not all the time. Just like when Route 46 and I both commented on the same thing years go. Spring coverage is just fine.

Kinda shocking that people are still not getting 4g all the time.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '18

I get 4G all the time when in and around Hackettstown. No need for hotspots or even asking for a friend's password while nearby. 4G does become sketchy north of I-80 on 517 though. (Not sure when it becomes more reliable again towards Andover). I'm not in PV enough to comment on how reception is beyond the gate.

Route 46
Oct '18

sprint offer 1 year free if you BYOD, and port your number, you pay about $4 month unlimited everything, worth the try if you are unhappy with how verizon or ATT cost, or the spotty tmobile coverage.

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Oct '18

I have sprint. I've never had 4g.

Melissa Melissa
Oct '18

ive had sprint for over 15 years....when at home in htown ive never gotten 4G so i called up sprint cust. service and told them this and now i get a credit every month for this reason
im curious to know what im missing out on

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Oct '18

Mostly the 4G is the speed for email, web, streaming, etc. I've had it for 15 years as well, but 4G on Sprint has only been around for a couple. And if you didn't change phones when it came out then you still won't get it no matter what you do. They put out letters about the change when it happened.

I have T-Mobile, good around Hackettstown so far. Farther south found some dead spots. Not sure about Panther Valley area, fine around 46 areas of Budd Lake and Mt Olive as well.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Oct '18

I get 4g with Sprint, but have weak signal at pv gate and between tranquility and Andover. It used to be .uch worse, but towers in the long valley area have helped a bunch.

David A White David A White
Oct '18

Sprint's towers have been damaged twice. Once with the storm in July and then last week. This affected both PA and everything in between to Hackettstown. When I call out (I'm Sprint), I get the message that the Verizon customer is no longer in service...or I get dead air and/or busy signal.

Sprint customer service is hit or miss, but they are terrible about fixing towers. It took 2 months last time, so we shall see how long this time. It got so bad that not even 911 could be called in PA.

Once the tower was fixed last time, they gave me a $20 credit for each line and told me that was a lot for them to do. The problem will be that you won't even know you are not receiving messages or text messages because it never hits your phone.

animal lover animal lover
Oct '18

Verizon is the only option for me as we travel to the mountains quite a lot. I tried Sprint for 2 weeks and barely got a signal at the house.

friendlyMcFriendly
Oct '18

Thank you all so much for the input. Sorry for delayed response as I couldn't find the post I used. I finally found it so thank you! I guess I will weigh in on this. Had Sprint way back but reception was bad so went to Verizon and had ot for over 10yrs now and its getting expensive. I am afraid to leave then I will have to go back if I ended up not like Sprint. I guess I really have to think about this. Will look into ATT too. One thing I can think of too is basically just talk to Verizon and see what they can do since I have them for ove 10yrs and see what happens. At least for now and do more research.

Again, thank you all so much! I really aporeciate all the info.

soccermom soccermom
Oct '18

Dodgeball, do you travel outside of hackettstown? How is t-mobile outside of hackettstown? Was considering changing since it will cost a quarter of my Verizon bill but scared I won’t have service.

Middleschoolmom Middleschoolmom
Oct '18

if you are looking to save money on your cell phone bill and have the almost same level of service go prepaid

Metro pcs /T mobile
Boost mobile / Sprint
Cricket /ATT
Total wireless / Verizon

We have t-mobile live in Oak Hill. Our service is horrible, especially in the condo. I have a "booster" in the house which helps, but still get only get 2 bars tops. They basically told me that was the best I could get unless I upgraded. Hmmmm nope. Very happy I still have a landline....

Acl76 Acl76
Oct '18

Have Verizon and still get dropped calls/lost service on Catswamp Rd in Allamuchy in 2018!!

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Oct '18

msmom,
T Mobile coverage is fine in Mansfield near the stores on 57, in the center of Hackettstown, and up 46 towards NYC. Where I found less coverage is when I went South on 31, 57,etc. This was not a problem with Verizon. For me, it was worth the change as I spend little time south of Mansfield. The service has been fine overall, value for price is very good. I get really good speeds, and even used it to tether to my home computer when Comcast went out and it was very usable.

Gir mentioned prepaid, I was on a Verizon prepaid MVNO and the problem is it did not have VOLTE, which is Voice over LTE. In other words, no data and voice at the same time-could not have phone call while using maps with traffic, or call someone and look at a web page at the same time. This was a huge disadvantage for me.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Oct '18

I have Verizon, pay 42.00 month ( pre pay ), unlimited talk & text...always have service …..they do not advertise program very much.

steven steven
Oct '18

Does anyone have any reviews on Comcast's cell service?

iKnow iKnow
Oct '18

Does anyone know best service for Verizon dead spots like parts of Catswamp Road?

Comcast is a Verizon reseller

Bug3
Aug '19

I'm using comcast mobility cell and have had no dead spots yet.

Sirya
Aug '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.