Eleventh Hour Rescue must Vacate PetSmart Mt. Olive

I just got word that Eleventh Hour Rescue has been told to vacate their adoption center located in the Mt. Olive Petsmart. This means a lot of dogs and cats will face an uncertain future unless they are adopted out or find foster homes by September 25th. I am not affiliated with them in any way. I do however follow them on facebook, and feel helpless in a situation I wish I could change. I know because of the constant lost/found pet posts that many of you on here hold a place in your heart for furbabies the same way I do. Please help me spread the word so we can find these animals some homes. Maybe some of you have been thinking of adopting a cat or dog yourself.

This is a link to their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/EleventhHourRescue?fref=nf

Every bit of sharing can save an animals life :-)

Maybe you could also contact Petsmart and let them know how unacceptable this is. 11th hour has no shelter or kennel. They are contracted with Petsmart to keep the spaces full so had already agreed to take more animals from death row. These animals will surely die if they are not taken. I am not affiliated with 11th hour but am well aware of the good they do. I cannot foster any more pets, as I already have a recently adopted elderly dog, and 3 cats. I am disabled so that is my limit. Please help these poor babies!

Dansker Dansker
Sep '15

Is 11th Hour's kennel on Rt 10 no longer open? Do they only have the location on top of the hill (Rt 46, I guess that's considered long valley, across from the A&P plaza) now?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '15

News 12 got a hold of this story, the outrage from animal lovers and EHR supporters against Petsmart posted on news 12 Facebook page is unbelievable!! Bless all the animals and the hundreds of people that are looking into adopting or fostering to save a life. They need all the help they can get!!

Molly
Sep '15

Go to Petsmart Facebook page and share some of the comments and post on their page a comment...doubt it will help but who knows.

animal lover animal lover
Sep '15

Is Petsmart just changing contracts to have a different rescue organization use their space, or are they getting out of the rescue/shelter business altogether?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '15

They only gave them 30 days notice with no explanation. It's unbelievable.

D-Man has a good question. Does anyone know the answer?

LAS - Yes, 30 days notice is not enough.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '15

D-ManPV, That question was asked of them by EHR but they are being a-holes and avoiding the question. That's the last bit of info I've seen on social media anyway. How awful this is...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Sep '15

I signed a petition but I doubt it will do anything. Their treatment of 11th Hour is unacceptable. I will no longer shop at Petsmart because of this. I can get all of my pet supplies through Amazon or at Pet Value.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Sep '15

Please remember that boycotting PetSmart stores because of one group does irreparable damage to the thousands of other groups that adopt out hundreds of thousands of homeless animals (collectively) in PetSmart stores.

As a side note - PetSmart stores and PetSmart Charities are actually 2 separate entities. PetSmart Charities owns the adoption centers and regulates their adoption partners - they have no say in how a store is run just as PetSmart Stores have no say in how the adoption centers are run.

This article has some additional information:

http://patch.com/new-jersey/mendham-chester/eleventh-hour-rescue-animals-being-kicked-out-morris-county-petsmart-0

"PetSmart Charities Media Relations Manager Steve Pawlowski told Patch that the contract between the two has expired, and the business has “elected not to renew the agreement.”

The reason, Pawlowski said, was the Everyday Adoption Center will be closing for remodeling. Pawlowski did not respond when asked what the remodeled space will be used for, or why EHR was only given 30 days to vacate the premises, despite asking for more time."

Sad, as one of our dogs came from 11th Hour Rescue and PetSmart.

I wonder if by remodeling they may be looking to do something completely different, such as supporting a veterinary practice / animal hospital (like Rockaway does), as I would think that would make the store much more money.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '15

Thank you for clarifying this Espo. As you say there are many other rescue groups that operate out of PetSmarts - boycotting the stores will not help the other rescue groups with animals in need of homes.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Sep '15

Let the rescue have a real low fee or free adoption for the animals that are heading for" death row ". If these animals are going to be euthanized anyway, wouldn't it be better to have them go to a good home, normal screening would still apply, and no fee. Sounds like if they don't get any money, they will euthanize them instead. Sick. They also have bingo twice a month in Budd Lake. That's about $7000, cash, right there, besides all the private donations. Then when the rescue finds a new spot, they can start taking animals again for re-sale, Oops, I mean for adoption.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Sep '15

Re: Eleventh Hour Rescue must Vacate PetSmart Mt. Olive

here's one more desperate for a new home- owner moving - can't take Mittens - a very sweet mush who loves attention - just a few years old - I would but you know I already have 5.......

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '15

Sparksjbc I am not sure what story you read but 11th hour does NOT euthanize the animals they take in, they RESCUE them from kill shelters. They have already committed to several truck loads of animals from kill shelters prior to finding out that pet smart charities was kicking them out. 11th hour is unwilling to cancel the deliveries because the kill shelters they are taking the animals from will euthanize the animals if 11th hour does not pick them up, something 11th hour will not let happen. That is why they are desperate for help, they need a place for all the dogs they have made a commitment to! The money they raise goes towards vet bills, housing, food and transport costs. A "free" puppy will cost you far more in vet bills than than the adoption fee for a fully vetted puppy from 11th hour, or any other rescue for that matter.

Jesse Jesse
Sep '15

There are so many better rescues out there that can benefit from that space. I might be a little bitter after being turned down trying to adopt a dog from them. The reason was because I was honest and let them know 7 years prior I had rehomed a dog with a friend because it was aggressive and growling at my infant son. Just didn't seem worth taking the chance of my child being bitten and it was a viable solution. If I just lied they would have let me adopt. Worst part they didn't even call me to let me know. After several messages and no returned calls, I asked someone who worked there and they told me I was denied. Everything happens for a reason because that same person told me that they medicated the dogs to calm them down so that they were easier to adopt out. They also told me that a lot of dogs were returned because they acted completely different once the medication wore off. I would love to find out the reason why they were asked to leave. I had also read a lot of bad reviews online about 11 hour. However, In the end my family ended up adopting a dog from Common Sense for Animals. Even after being honest and explaining the situation about our previous dog, they were happy to adopt to us.

SorryNotSorry SorryNotSorry
Sep '15

EHR will NOT euthanize any of their animals, they will not let them go to other shelters that do this, that is why some have ended up with EHR, read the articles, not what people speculate will happen. EHR just rescued the puppy that got ran over so the guy was burying it alive, WHY would they then consider euthanization. Before you all say some of your disparaging remarks you should really research what you are slandering, sparksjbc1964. The fundraisers they have feed, vet, provide aid to the people whom foster. Couple thousand $ doesn't last long when you are caring for 75+ animals at a time.

wendola wendola
Sep '15

SorryNotSorry - I'm not a huge EHR supporter either. Alot of their dogs have behavior issues that they DO NOT disclose & their fees honestly are pretty high. I don't mind paying a fee but $325 is really asking alot. Common Sense for Animals all the way!!!!!!!

Buffy Buffy
Sep '15

So does 11th Hour still have the functioning kennel on Rt10 or not? I know the Rt46 location does not have kennels yet, and I thought they were having to move out of the Rt10 location, but that was over a year ago....?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '15

I have dealt with 11th Hour many times (as a foster and adopter) over the years and have never run into any of the issues mentioned above. I have no problem with the adoption fees as I know it helps pay for the vetting and boarding fees. I guarantee 11th Hour isn't making any money off of the adoption fees. They are just trying to save lives. I have never had an issue (nor has anyone I know who has adopted through them) with cats or dogs. They were very honest about which dogs needed to be an only dog home, could live with cats or children etc.. I have nothing but nice things to say about them.

Sounds like the only ones who don't care about this are the ones turned down for adoption. This makes me think EHR made a good call in those cases. I've applied to adopt a dog and not been chosen, nor called. Apparently it wasn't meant to be and the dog went to another family. I trust the rescue's judgement. Sheesh, these days even adults pout if something doesn't go their way...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Sep '15

I WAS approved for a dog & adopted from them. The dog had major issues that were NOT disclosed to me. I am NOT pouting rather stating my personal experience. You guys do know we are all allowed to have our own personal opinions on this site, right? I would never adopt from them again nor recommend them.

Buffy Buffy
Sep '15

St. Hubert's is going to PetSmart.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/morristown/st-huberts-headed-petsmart-store-after-eleventh-hours-contract-ends-0

animal lover animal lover
Sep '15

I'm confused, did PetSmart Charities terminate the contract with 11th Hour Rescue or was the contract up and PetSmart Charities decided not to renew the contract?

Lori- who's pouting just stating my opinion like you just did? I've adopted from Common Sense, Noah's Ark, And Barks and I am a good owner to all the animals I adopted. So tell me why they made a good decision? It really sucked having to tell my child that they couldn't adopt the dog they wanted. It was a good life lesson, but still sucked. Also,returning phone calls is just a good business practice and that's what they are, a business. I never held it against Petsmart and continued to shop there afterwards. You want to talk about pouting, how about all the people crossing their arms and stomping their feet crying about boycotting the store if they don't keep EHR there. It's a business decision! And as animal lover stated above, there is another rescue moving in.

SorryNotSorry SorryNotSorry
Sep '15

Regardless of people's bad experiences or bad blood with EHR, these are poor homeless animals that are in trouble with the shelter closing. It's not their fault, so spreading the word and becoming outraged is for a good cause.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '15

I read on Facebook, St. Hubert's is moving in their place, just doesn't sit right with me.

Molly
Sep '15

Their kennel on rt 10 is still up and running
I work literally next door & I can hear all the barking dogs.. Don't know if there is a plan to leave there

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '15

Interesting information about St. Huberts (and nice that they went out of their way to shed more light on what's going on, despite a confidentiality agreement). I have dealt with both 11th Hour and St. Huberts before, and in my experience there is a night and day difference between those organizations. 11th Hour seems more 'cliquey', like a bunch of friends who wanted to start a rescue, run like a small local store. St Huberts is a doppelgänger, with staff, and trustees, and a board of directors. I've lived the non-profit life first hand from both of those angles, and there is a world of difference.

That being said, it is absolutely awful the way PetSmart is choosing to treat 11th Hour, especially given the fact that it appears St Huberts was willing to go out of their way to be as accommodating as possible.

brendan brendan
Sep '15

Common Sense for Animals sells dogs to labs for testing.

Challah Challah
Sep '15

"Common Sense for Animals sells dogs to labs for testing."

That's pretty serious accusation. Do you have any proof to back it up?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '15

I'm with Calico, I tried Googling it, tried Snopes, and Wikis. There is no online reference for that accusation. You would think if it was real there would be a story someplace in print or online about. No secret is ever that safe from discovery if more than one person is involved. I too would like to see proof other than someone told me that.

It was uncovered 15 years ago. That's why they have a disclaimer page on their website about research animals.

Challah Challah
Sep '15

love how people can make up anything and spew it as fact ---

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '15

I agree with Sparksjbc's comment of "re-sale".... that a lot of these "rescues" are cash cows....Sure there are plenty of awesome rescues.

However, don't think a rescue that goes down south to get truck loads of pups aren't in a money making business. These shelters down south charge these rescues for the pups...such as $25 a dog...the rescue brings them up here and sells/adopts them for $375 or much more...do the math.

EHR- Should have also negotiated the contract before they opened up shop. The point of a contract is so everyone knows what is expected. So if you signed a contract that says they only need to give 30 day notice...then why are they wrong?

and most of you know I'm a big time dog lover.....but I think people put too much trust on these rescues.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/troubleshooters/LWRD--230769221.html

Nosila Nosila
Sep '15

I have adopted from EHR and found that they were great to work with. I think that they do an amazing job with all of their rescues (many from kill shelters). Personally, I thinking kicking them out is a true disservice to the poor animals that need their help.

@buffy - perhaps EHR didn't know about the behavioral issues.

Petsmart has bills to pill and EHR, was riding rent free. Nothing free in America anymore and if you don't pay, you gotta go!

Larry Larry
Sep '15

I adopted my dog from EHR almost three years ago. Neko has been the most well behaved dog I have ever had and everyone thinks she is amazingly well behaved. We have traveled all over the country and also to the West coast of Canada with her with no troubles. We are looking for a bigger dog to adopt so I will def go and see who is left!!!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '15

Don't know if they *sell* animals for testing, but Common Sense for Animals advertises that they not only condone it as a necessity but imply by omission that they do it as well:

http://www.commonsenseforanimals.org/research_animals.html

justintime justintime
Sep '15

Maybe someone read that EHR was adopting out "two" labs and thought they said they were adopting out "to" labs, and that's how rumors get started. :o)

Their contractual agreement was up and nobody knows what was written in that agreement. Who cares?! Pet Smart Charities has every right to remodel their store and afterwards in October, place in whoever they want to. They are not married to Eleventh Hour Rescue. It was their business decision and the contract agreement most likely gives them 30 days which they did. "Thank you so much, Pet Smart Charities for giving us a nice opportunity and helping hand for the past 4 years". And they're just up and arms and MAD. They will move on and be fine. Being mad is certainly not going to help anybody. God bless Pet Smart. Congratulations St Hubert's and best wishes to YOU! Hope you adopt out lots of nice pets. Best of luck in the future EHR. God bless everyone. EHR...time to move on to new opportunities. Time for somebody else to get a nice opportunity and it happens to be St Hubert's. New remodeled store. New rescue group. Best wishes to all involved.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Sep '15

Amidst all of this - don't forget that a local rescue group - PAL has several lovely cats residing at Mt. Olive PetSmart that looking for homes - don't forget about them.

Sep '15

What are the actual names of shelters that are killing puppies and healthy, adoptable... key word here..adoptable pets? Why are we paying extra for unfixed pets, Pet overpopulation fund, if NJ can't keep up with the demand for pets and import them from other states? Believe me, I love animals more than most people I know, and the cat rescues don't make close to what dog rescues make. The cat rescues seem more legit. I applaud all volunteers that work with all rescues, however most don't know the whole financial picture. I guess that's a good thing or they would want to be put on the payroll like the board of directors, owners, partners, etc.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Sep '15

You know,Nature Lover; I was actually wondering about them several times and they never ever mentioned a thing about this. Life goes on with new and good opportunities. The best to the Pet Adoption League group. That actually shows "class". They'll be good.

Sep '15

To all you people complaining about adoption fees. How the heck do you expect the organization to care for these animals without any money? They need to be fed, medicated, groomed and cared for. The organization also needs to pay for the space that they house these animals in. Can't anyone see beyond their nose?

If you think $325 is too much for a pet then you shouldn't have one. What if that pet gets sick? The vet bill are going to be far more than that.

Also EHR does not misrepresent their animals. I used to volunteer at a shelter (not EHR) and believe me when I say that a dogs personality in a kennel vs. in a home environment is night and day. Most of the times for the better but sometimes not so much. Rescue organizations don't always get a full history on the dogs and have to draw their own conclusions. They do many behavior tests on animals when they are brought in but it's still impossible to catch everything.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Sep '15

JAZZYCAT - WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE PET? READ MY ORIGINAL POST. I don't mind paying a fee but I do have my max. People on this site really need to get a life. God forbid we have our own opinions. I had a poor experience with EHR (and know others who have had as well) so therefore I choose to NOT deal with them.

Buffy Buffy
Sep '15

Excellent posts Jazzykatt and Hickory Dog! You are both absolutely correct. Always nice to see some people with functioning brain cells.

Suze - very mature to underhandedly say that those who disagree don't have functioning brain cells. I take very good care of my pets and keep them up to date with vet well-care visits & shots I JUST RATHER SPEND MY $ SUPPORTING A DIFFERENT RESCUE GROUP. Clearly Pet Smart Charities saw a deficiency in EHR as well & that's why they were replaced.

Buffy Buffy
Sep '15

@Buffy clearly you are the one with personal issues against EHR and it is not that PSC "saw" a deficiency in them. It's your opinion to express just like others have the right to express different opinions towards EHE, PCS, you and others posts.

Buffy, I was not referring to you specifically but more to the people who think that the shelters are making a profit or can rehome these animals in 30 days when they have had to keep the kennels full. I understand your frustration with EHR but that doesn't necessarily mean the whole group is bad. I have had a bad experience with PAL and one of their volunteers. But I realize what a tough situation the rescue groups and volunteers are in and most importantly wish there were not such a great demand for adopters. Spay and neuter people!

Cash cows?? Is that a joke?!

Buffy, you may have a max but the posted shelter fees are not unreasonable when you take into consideration the health checks and spay and neutering. If you pick up a stray on the street, you will easily pay that out of pocket. I didn't say YOU shouldn't have a pet; more to the point is if somebody can't AFFORD that initial fee, they probably shouldn't have a pet. Some people have great big hearts and with good intentions take in more animals than they can honestly care for.

Nobody is invalidating your feelings toward EHR. That is your opinion and you have a right to it based on your experience. My opinion just happens to be different than yours. C'est la vie!

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Sep '15

I have been reading some of the Facebook comments and am sad that so many people are going to stop shopping at the PetSmart stores - there are many other rescues housed at PetSmart stores working hard to place homeless cats and dogs in homes, please think about what effect this boycott will have on other groups and most especially the animals in need. I wish PS would tell the real reason EHR was asked to leave, there has to be more to it than 'remodeling'.

Sep '15

Could someone please explain the stupidity behind boycotting Petsmart? They are bringing in a different charity to replace the existing. So either A. it's beneficial to them and no change in care to animals or B. it's beneficial to them and the animals or C. it's beneficial to them and the animals will receive worse care. Yes, the current animals may be out of luck ( I doubt it I went to Petsmart last night the adoption desk was mobbed) but from what I have read everywhere St Huberts (whom is replacing 11th hour) has got nothing but rave reviews.

Also 11th hours contract was up. 30 days is normal eviction notice if I remember correctly. Petsmart seems to be operating within the law and in the animals best interest so is this all over 11th hours hyped up faceshit post denouncing Petsmart?

Last thing, holy good god some of you have critiqued me for past posts but some of the attacks above put me to shame. I will continue to visit petsmart and whatever charity may be there till I can find a husky in need of rescue or maybe a beagle if the wife pleads enough.

youngen youngen
Sep '15

I think a lot of the outrage came when EHR was initially given less than 30 days to vacate but pushed back to what was stated in the contract. Regardless of how much time they have, I think it would have been a nice gesture for Petsmart to give them a little more notice instead of blindsiding them.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Sep '15

"A nice gesture"? It's business. A contract. They're abiding by their contract. And it really is fair. Pet smart would like to have 1 month to remodel their store before St. Hubert's takes their place in the store. Kind of like a grand reopening. Why in the world should Pet smart have to " gesture". A lot of people are acting like Eleventh Hour is Pet Smart's friend's or family...and their not. This is a business decision. And after several years, why should Pet smart be made to feel bad? It's ridiculous. an animal rescue group being so "up in arms". Just stop and take a breath. Everything will be just fine. Everyone involved (in the end) will be just fine. Even Pet Adoption League who has been quiet throughout..." Smart"

Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.