Roadside Assistance - AARP vs AAA

I am a member of AAA for many years (along with my husband and child). We used AAA road assistance service a couple of times, hotel and Amtrak discounts. Now my husband can become AARP member. There are so much commercials about AARP benefits. Does it worth to switch to AARP? I am mostly concerned about road side assistance. AAA was extremely helpful when we need it. We have road assistance service through our auto insurance but AAA was much faster to respond and easier to deal with.

AAA + is the best , you are covered in any vehicle that you are traveling in....should it break down.

Cannot speak for AARP, however, from what I understand, they accept payment from the companies they promote.

Steven Steven
Aug '15

I'm of the age where I'm considering AARP for supplemental health insurance, but for my car -- I'm sticking with AAA -- they have served me well over the years.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '15

We have the AARP Roadside Assistance, by Allstate / 81.00 I believe for two different drivers...

They tow if needed to 100 miles. It used to be 200 miles, but three years ago they readjusted that to the 100 miles limit.

AAA offers towing up to only 3 miles. Yes... 3!

I had used AARP service like 7 times in the last three years, and they were there in less than 45 minutes in all incidents. Two tows one year....one at 27 miles, and one from New Brunswick, NJ to Hackettstown.... Cost me "0" ...

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '15

I'm in AAA Plus, they've towed me a lot further than three miles.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '15

AAA Plus covers towing up to 100 miles. I think it's $93 or pretty close to that. I personally like AAA. Just this past year, I had a dead battery in a torrential rain storm. I called and they sent a battery guy right to me. I had to pay for batter, but they guy installed it and I was home in less than an hour. Sure I paid a little more, but the problem was fixed immediately. That piece of mind will keep me as a customer.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '15

I opted for AAA frankly without looking since AAA does this for a living. AARP hires someone else, probably AAA...... Figured I would stick with the market leader.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '15

I have used both...I switched to AARP because the cost was significantly lower than AAA. However last year I switched back to AAA PLUS. They will tow up to 100 miles and have many more active providers. It does cost more but I decided the peace of mind was worth it. Best of luck.

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Aug '15

I found I had a flat in the cold rain - within 30 minutes a an AAA worker was there - and he found the nail in the tire, removed it and plugged the tire while lying on the ground in the rain --- what could be better (besides no flats?)

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

I have a friend who HAD AARP. He locked his keys in the car down in Wyckoff NJ one evening. He called them. It took them 2 hours to come out. It was Foreign guy who demanded $120 to unlock the car. He got the price down to $100 because that was all he had.
He now has AAA.

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Aug '15

3 miles? That must be the bottom of the barrel plan. Our AAA is 100 miles like so many others mentioned above...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Aug '15

If you ride motorcycles, the AMA has free roadside assistance (baked into the price of an auto-renewal AMA membership). Had to use them twice on my old truck, towed back locally, but I think it's 35 miles allowance (anything beyond that is extra money).

Covers cars, trucks, RV's, trailers, and of course motorcycles.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '15

Have AAA. Also check what your car manufacturer offers. Some of them provide free roadside assistance. I've been stuck with my A5 before and Audi sent someone very quickly and they towed it right to the dealer.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '15

Thank you for all replies! Looks like I will stay with AAA. I had a great experience with them for many years and I also can have a few "household members", not just a spouse and child up to age 25, on a family plan. "Better is the enemy of good".

by the way ....if you have AAA "plus" , check your auto insurance policy for coverage overlap....I cancelled that portion of coverage on my auto policy ....saved $12.oo per car . ( which went towards the AAA+ payment )

Steven Steven
Aug '15

If you have a fairly reliable car, just go with the basic. It's about a $40 difference. I had the plus for years and then switched back to basic 5+ years ago. $200 saved. Even if I have to pay for mileage while towing, I'm sure I'll still be ahead of the game.

Some cars manufacturers also offer free towing. Honda/Acura offer it for 3 years.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '15

I received the AAA advertising literature in the mail three years ago, and they only had the three mile tow service. Well, they actually paid the first three.
I will have to look at that now that they offer the 100 miles.

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '15

I have both cards. With AAA plus they will go 200 miles once. Also have AAA car insurance. They have discounts on insurance. Both have discounts on major stores. You have to look for them

Anthony Bruno Anthony Bruno
Sep '15

I have the top of the line AAA coverage and it worked for us five tows in one year one flat fix and a jump and battery replace ment and it cost me 95 dollars total plus the battery cost you cant beat it most tows can cost 150 dollars

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '15

Don't use AARP for anything! It's a communist front group. Use AMAC its a better "Real American" alternative.

Lib Exterminator
Sep '15

If you pull a travel trailer or horse trailer you might want to look into US Rider. They will work on your trailer, and IF you have horses on board will even arrange a place for them. Have used them several times over the years..Fantastic service local and across the country..

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Sep '15

Communist front group? Who are you, Lib Exterminator, the reincarnation of Joe McCarthy?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

JerryG JerryG
Sep '15

I wish. He was right.

Now just calm down and step on the train. Yes, we all can see that it's a freight train. That's how we take you to the AARP resort (Gulag). Relax! Soon all of your problems will be over. You're a member now and AARP membership has its privileges. We will take care of everything for you!

Oh wait a second! Is that gold jewelry you are wearing? Are those gold fillings in your teeth? Step over here, we will take care of those things right now, before we throw, I mean, ask you to step up and board, the train.

Thank you and enjoy the trip (Psst! It's just one way).

Choo! Choo!

Lib Exterminator
Sep '15

Godwin's Law.

Joe McCarthy's witch hunt ruined the lives of countless Americans with baseless accusations and outright lies. He and his committee trampled on the constitutional rights of the people he targeted.

It is telling that the US Senate, a body which almost always closes it's ranks to protect their own, voted to condemn his actions.

God save this country from a reincarnation of Joe McCarthy.

JerryG JerryG
Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.