Cicada Killer Wasp

An Asian giant hornet landed on my back deck. Caught it, put it a jar. Has anyone seen one in Hackettstown or surrounding area? I googled them. 10 of these hornets can kill 30,000 hunny bees and take their nest for their hunny. I was wondering if the town ofHackettstown needs to know they are in our area?

D-Rod D-Rod
Aug '15

Take a pic and post so we can see what it looks like.

John C John C
Aug '15

Yes, they are definitely around. Cicaida Killer Wasps look very similar. Both are very territorial and The Asian Giant will definitely sting you too. Post a pic!
You could also bring it to the Rutgers Cooperative Extension in Belvidere - they may help you positively ID it or go to whatsthatbug.com

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '15

Please post picture. Thanks

A good day
Aug '15

It's 30 hornets that can kill 30,000 hunny bees.

D-Rod D-Rod
Aug '15

How do I add a photo?

D-Rod D-Rod
Aug '15

I'm going to guess it's a cicada killer too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '15

Re: Cicada Killer Wasp

Photo

D-Rod D-Rod
Aug '15

Looks like the cicaida killer to me.

Walker Walker
Aug '15

Asian giant hornet

Walker Walker
Aug '15

Photo # 2

D-Rod D-Rod
Aug '15

Thanks. I've never seen one these. I've lived in hackettstown for 48 years. It is a Cicaida killer. Good to know.

D-Rod D-Rod
Aug '15

Given the misidentification, changing the title of the thread.

I am confused are we supposed to kill the cicada killer wasp or let it alone to kill cicaidas?

eapos eapos
Aug '15

It's got a job to do, I'd say let it be to do it. Everything needs a predator to keep from getting out of check.

Cicada killers are a native species and are relatively harmless. There is no reason to kill them.

gadfly gadfly
Aug '15

Cicada killers are solitary wasps so they are not aggressive, no nest to protect. They are huge and scary looking but I have never known anyone who has been stung by one. They lay their eggs in the dirt or sand so they do not damage anything. I would let them be, they are harmless.

Jesse Jesse
Aug '15

We had about 15 or so burrows appear every year since 2006, one year after re landscaping the front of our house. Let's say a good forearm with a tennis racquet was the best way to allow us to get to the front door. The last couple years, especially following the huge cicaida spawn of 2013, have been very quiet.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.