Help catch vandals at Allamuchy State park

Some little punk is spray painting the trail signs and map/info holder at allamuchy mountain state park's 517 entrance. This is the trailhead behind tranquility farms. this had been going on for months and every time someone repairs/cleans it, the punk does it again. Anybody have a game camera? The pointless destruction has got to stop. Any ideas?

Talleyho!
Aug '15

Must be the same person responsible for vandalizing the old houses up along those trails. Go to weirdnj.com and search for "profanity houses"

honey badger honey badger
Aug '15

Too bad. Also saw lots of graffiti on pavement near Tilcon lake. Lots of spray painted penis pictures. Doubt that state police or park police will do much.

A good day
Aug '15

That sucks, but that's been going on for some time. I can only assume they ran out of space at the houses as they are covered floor to ceiling in it.

see my post:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/588494#t701357

We kayaked on Paulenskill Lake on Sunday and my husband picked up at least 16 empty spray paint cans floating in the water along with many other plastic and glass bottles and a plastic bag containing 5 tomatoes. It's just disgusting the way people pollute.

Well, that house in weird nj has been like that for years. That house is infamous for that and it's somewhat expected and excepted. The vandalism im referring to is from this year and its vandalism for the sheer point of vandalism. This is the big wooden trail sign that shows the name of the trail and has icons of what is permitted (hiking, horseback riding etc).

It's obviously a kid or two that live close by. The trailhead is off of 517 with very few houses around.

Again, if anyone has a trail cam, we could catch this punk. There are so few areas left in the area that are kept as nature intended. I don't want us to lose this one too.

TalleyHo!
Aug '15

Someone to repair/replace generally means it is past on to the taxpayer besides creating an eyesore. Just antisocial behavior, hopefully the offender wakes up...

I agree, iJay. I was so impressed with the park service and/or volunteers who cleaned up this punks "1st round" a few months back. It looks like the offender was getting back at whoever cleaned up the mess by going overboard and turning the sign into the #9 subway train.

For him to go back and do it again infuriates me. Hopefully we can do something.

TalleyHo!
Aug '15

I am sure park rangers have trail camera's that they use in normal outdoor investigative operations and being its state property they should be able to help. Unfortunately most hunters like myself who own them have them in use for the start of hunting season sept 13th. Plus if these hooligans are destroying public property I am not going to put my object of value near them as they will likely destroy it if seen.

agf25 agf25
Aug '15

And the punishment when this person is caught should be one full day of work a week for five years cleaning and repairing in the state park system

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '15

Unfortunately this spray painting is going on in a lot of the parks. A few years ago van campens Glen in DWG was spray painted. The paint has since been covered over by lichens on the rocks.
Also the marl works at white lake in hardwick. Spray painted.
Would be nice to catch the losers that do it.

A good day
Aug '15

For all you nocturnal people out there, take a walk at 3am (not alone), and have your phone handy. That's how you'll catch the little SOB's. Just make sure no one is selling drugs from a home that you happen to walk by... that's considered "suspicious activity ". Need a crystal ball , these days.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Aug '15

It's probably not worth trying to catch them until the state park personnel clean up the current damage. If they do, a camera could help. Why not set up a "go fund" me site? I'd bet you could get a lot of people to contribute five or ten bucks. If you do, get a camera with infrared, labeled "blackout". These cameras can capture images in the dark without producing any visible light. I would also recommend getting a camera with a cellular connection that will text or email you the photos. It would save a lot of work checking the images. You can get such a camera for about $250. Hide the camera very well. Last but not least, if you plan on any of the above, speak with the park superintendent first and get his or her cooperation. Good luck!

Gadfly Gadfly
Aug '15

the state placed cams on waterloo valley rd to catch garbage dumpers. They should put some in deer park.

a good day
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.