Landscaper to drill hole under brick path

Need to run new electric lines outside and have to go under a brick walkway. We have dug most of the trenches on either side but know a hole can be burrowed under the brick at the same depth with out taking out the walkway.
Any recommendations or ideas who can do this?
Thanks in advance!

Blackcat Blackcat
Aug '15

You can do it yourself with a garden hose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kv9x8bAWVM

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

If you're running tube, and you should be, you might want to take a shot at DIY.

Just buy a digging bar, $$30-60-100 depending on type, which is a 6ft metal "toothpick." Has a blade end and a knob end to bang on. Just lay er in the trench and start banging. Sledgehammer works and just keep that angle level or downward, but never up! Unless you have really solid rock, it's going through. Might need to wiggle a bit when done to expand your "tunnel." $60 will probably do you and a nice 5 or 6 footer is best.

Then attach line to knob, attach to tube (might need to drill some holes to tie on), and pull it through. Or if knob is too big, ground too hard, find a skinnier pole to use. Note: be sure to cap end of tube so you don't fill it with dirt. Not that it would hurt anything, but neatness counts.

I actually made it under a drive way by coming from both sides and then pulling through with a long 2x2 pole.

Digging bar will last a lifetime and will be invaluable when needed so don't cheap out! Although when ice breaking, watch out for driveway (says the idiot with some driveway divots). Problem solved for $60 or less.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '15

Garden Grove Landscaping. 9087632634. ask for Matt

Garden Grove
Aug '15

You could try a hammer drill and a piece of pipe and pray there aren't any rocks. I'm guessing that you are using 3/4"pvc. It's a tough job but can be done.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Hot corner Hot corner
Aug '15

All those ideas are good unless you have the problem I did when I dug a trench to bring "city water" to the house years ago. I had to dig on the diagonal between 3 and 4 feet under a paver walkway. Of course it was like a puzzle of rocks under there and I had to try to figure which to lever out first to get to the next. Working from both sides alternately I was finally able to do it, but that was indeed the hardest part. Even putting the sewer line in from the back of the house to the side was not as hard as that 6 or so foot section in the front. I think when they built it, the construction co. dumped everything there in terms of stone that they'd dug up when excavating the foundation!

Best of luck to you and I hope it's not as rough as mine was to do!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.