Paving company taking back driveway?

Long story short- driveway paved three times, messed up each time. Now we are getting money back but company says they are coming to rip up driveway and take it back. Legal? Never heard of this.

driveway driveway
Jul '15

The black top is reuseable call the county court house find out how to get a in junction to stop them unless they restore it to the condition it was in before they touched it

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

What's wrong, you are getting your money back and now you need to pay someone to do the job right?

Why would you expect to keep the driveway that you are demanding to be refunded for? If the driveway is so "messed up" that you feel you deserve your money back, why would you want it anyway? And they should give it to you for free?

Terry P
Jul '15

Seems a bit extreme to me. My guess is you need a lawyer and a court order which will probably cost more then the driveway.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '15

There is some good advice, above, but I'll give you something else to consider.

First of all, contact town officials--perhaps even the police department--and even if they CAN come and legally remove the asphalt, see if they can arrange with the company to do it on a pre-specified date and time, so that you (or someone you trust) can be there to ensure that no additional damage is done to your property.

Now, imagine how the company, its owner(s), and employees, would feel if they showed up to remove your driveway, and four people were standing there video-recording the whole thing. Of course, they're going to ask what you're doing, so you politely explain that you believe they are a disreputable company, and that you plan to record their actions and post it all over the internet, expressing that, "in your personal opinion" (which makes it neither libel nor slander), you believe that other people should not deal with the company and/or its employees.

They just MIGHT decide that it's not worth removing your driveway, after all.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jul '15

Would you like to share the company name, so others don't hire them and get burned?
JA

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

Sounds like someone want to be compensated for their trouble as money will be returned but a shady driveway remains. Is the shoddy driveway STILL better than before?

It's your property and you should be able to prevent them from trespassing. Make them go to court over it instead of you.

However, it's a good point about what condition is it in now. If it's just going to be redone all over again, then someone is going to have to remove the old anyway. In that case you might be better off having them demo what was done for who ever you hire to do the job right.

I would think tearing it up will make it worse then it was, before they did it.
Take pics!!! Get a no trespassing order against them.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

call judge judy this is one for the peoples court

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

You might also inquire as to whether they are a licensed paving company. If not, they can actually be arrested, if you report them.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jul '15

Why not have them do it a fourth time?!

Booster90 Booster90
Jul '15

I think unless they were paid in full they have the option to rip it out.. If it was not done to your or their satisfaction.. Also If if was that bad it will save u money if u hire another contractor to replace it...Also if they do rip it out it will cost them money to get rid of it at the asphalt plant..

Mr.tone Mr.tone
Jul '15

Video's.... Take video's..... of them trespassing / ripping it out!
It is illegal to remove the driveway or as a matter of fact anything in your possession ... Unless you signed a contract that specifically states they can repo it due to non payment. Like a vehicle for instance.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '15

I wouldn't let them on your property again. As other stated, record everything. If their work is that shoddy for a paying customer, imagine what kind of sh*t job they're going to do when they're pissed off at you and don't care.

I'm with GC. They would need a court order and a police officer to monitor the process.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

And.............the rest of the story?

Lamppost Lamppost
Jul '15

boy, Holiday Inn Express must have been full last night

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '15

Was it Cooper that did the job?

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '15

Def not going to give the name of company. Don't roll that way. I still think even though it was done wrong three times, they still came back each time to try and fix it, so thats points in my book. Eventually tho you have to say thank you and goodbye. Just asking bc i never heard of anyone doing this. I def want driveway gone and money back but just want to make sure 1) its legal and 2) they don't do any other damage and its done the right way.
Thank you all for your help/comments.

driveway driveway
Jul '15

What, exactly, was 'done wrong'?

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Jul '15

I always believe there is 3 sides to every story.

I have a business that relies heavy in customer server and I have given the money back to a couple customers just not to deal with them. For a paving company to come to your house and re-do the job 3 times says something about how far they are willing to go try to make a customer happy. Because trust me, no paving company is making any profit after coming to your house 3 times. Unfortunately sometimes there are customers that you cant please no matter what you do.

BusinessOwner
Jul '15

Yes, please tell us what was wrong 3 times. I can't even imagine what it would be.

Flooding, cracking, flooding again, grass in middle of driveway, driveway peeling up, broke my hose and a pipe, flattened/killed three bushes, more flooding....
Three times all within a couple of month.

driveway driveway
Jul '15

Business owner, I was thinking that too... but this thread has been very interesting to me, as I have had varying reactions as pieces are presented and others react. At first, it seemed absurd that a company would tear up a driveway, but then, as I thought about it, it seemed that there must be some reason that they would be willing to do something that would clearly cost them money... then I considered the homeowner's perspective, which was that they were unsatisfied, still, the company came out THREE times to repave and try to satisfy, thus certainly failing to make any money at all on the job and likely costing them money on other potential jobs. Still, the homeowner is claiming that the work is unsatisfactory, a possibility for sure... back and forth back and forth, I feel that there are pieces of this story missing.

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '15

I have to believe that there are some other grade issues going on, or perhaps the base was not being installed with the correct compaction, or some other side to this story. My hunch is that some of the required prep was either not included "to save costs" or perhaps was not part of the original scope of work as either requested by the homeowner, or perhaps not required by the contractor for some reason.

If the grade is appropriate, and the base is installed properly the final asphalt coats should have no problem holding up to the loads most driveways experience.

If the foundation of the drive is poor - i don't care how well you lay the asphalt - it will fail!

Kurt...another interesting possibility that I would have never considered... surely there are pieces missing to this story, maybe that's it.

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '15

I was just in a situation like this through Home Depot. I flooring material was great and I also paid for installation through them since it was part of a deal. Home Depot hires ACS for most of their floor installs. ACS then hires companies to come out to install.

Ordered 40 boxes, moisture barrier, door transitions, and other misc stuff.

Had ACS come out twice but then demanded for new workers because the floors were bouncy, moisture barrier was put down in small squares here and there and the transitions were installed in the wrong spot.

New workers came out to assess the situation and they were blown away how bad the install was and they would come back to fix it.

Time went by and ACS said they had to bring out new workers

. Eventually the manager from Home Depot and one of their own flooring experts came out to my house with the new installers and was told what was wrong. At this point I was blown away how bad the original install was.

In the end they had to order 30 more additional boxes, all new moisture barrier, and redo all the door transitions. Everything was installed correctly eventually.

This was over a period of just under two months.

OP- I paid in full on my credit card so I just called my credit card company and put on a dispute until it was done correctly. Maybe you can do that?
Good luck

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '15

I'm would have to say it definitely was not Charlies Paving. they never would have come back. Call Bob Burd if you want it done right.

Miller Miller
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.