Air smells "funny" in Budd Lake

Air smells like artificial sweet candy in the area of Rt. 46 and International drive (west side - near Mars, UPS and other businesses).
Today, the area of "candy smell" is larger and reaches Home Goods plaza.
I also heard that the men in chemical suits were spotted in International Drive area some time ago (weeks, months ago).
Does anybody knows anything about it?

I use to work in the international trade zone. There is some kind of perfume company located there, and would often smell simular oders. One time I heard that a 50 gallon drum "spilled" and the smell lasted for days.

That maybe your culprit.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jul '15

At times you can smell the fragrances being manufactured all the way out on Route 80. It's the largest flavor and fragrance company in the world, Givudan. It's right across the street from UPS.

Yes, I was at UPS yesterday and the smell was much stronger than usual. At that strength I can't even say 'fragrance' it was a SMELL.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '15

Thanks for the information...negative information...

Remember the landfill debacle in Roxbury? Eewww...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Soon you can add the smell of sausages to the list !
Fratelli Beretta Usa will be up and running by the end of the summer.

Stuffed
Jul '15

Well, what was the scent/smell? Cologne? Minty? What?!

DeaconBlus DeaconBlus
Jul '15

I smelled it too. It was very sweet - like cotton candy sugary smell. I didn't think that it was Giuvadan, but I guess that would make sense. Interesting.

Antimony Antimony
Jul '15

When I worked across the street from the Trade Zone entrance, our UPS driver would often have a 5 gallon or so container (or containers) of fragrance extract and/or some ingredients. Often the scent was quite strong and ran through a full spectrum of different flavors/scents. On occasion I'll smell it extra strongly when on Continental Drive on the way home, but usually not more than a day every now and then.

On the way home today I had to take rt 46 and saw that the MOPD had a car there with lights on and a cherry picker truck nearby. Not sure what was going on, but it may have had something to do with the smell. I didn't see any active accident scene there as I went by going East, but then my attention was on the road once I had the green light.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '15

I've been enjoying my RT 80 drive through the area with windows down for the past several weeks. I kept wondering what it was, and now it makes sense. I like it.

justintime justintime
Jul '15

There's often a sweet smell on Route 46 in Great Meadows near RDJ's in the morning. I always think it smells like syrup. Anyone know anything about that?

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jul '15

That's the celery crop.

OP on the phone
Jul '15

anyone ever drive on 280 around exit four, smells like a sewage plant every day

Doctor K16 Doctor K16
Jul '15

I used to enjoy the luxury of windows open and fresh air in the summer... not anymore! Even though I live all the way in Hopatcong, the smell is so strong sometimes that I have to close the windows! Many people are allergic to perfumes.. is it really legal to take away the fresh air people need to breathe?

Marion Murdock Marion Murdock
Jun '17

I farted sorry :-)

Pigpen Pigpen
Jun '17

There is a sewage plant by exit 4 on 1st 280..its near that bridge they just resurfaced

Bug3
Jun '17

It must be the Hersey plant aren't they in hackettstown? I love those snickers bars they make.

Hkt cat
Jun '17

Oh yeah I think they are! They make those yummy milky ways too :)

StanCat
Jun '17

Marion, I live in a townhouse and every time my neighbor smokes out on his deck, it comes into my bedroom window. Especially if I have my window fan on. It's disgusting. And a few times I've even smelt it coming through the walls/vent.

Why can't he hop on the bandwagon and vape like everyone else? I wouldn't mind smelling mint or even bananas. ;)

Hershey plant? Hkt cat, sounds like you haven't lived in Hackettstown too long. The smells from M&M Mars where they make the M&M's don't drift as far as Mt.Olive. They do make it over to the Centenary area sometimes though. When I first moved to town across the street from the college, I would think someone in the neighborhood was burning chocolate chip cookies everyday. Then I found out it was the M&M's. I also love Snickers bars, so good!

Wendy Wendy
Jun '17

Re: Air smells

Wendy - True story. When I was in the process of buying my house during the pre-sale walk through I honestly made the comment "someone in the neighbor hood is making chocolate chip cookies". ;-)

SueR - "I wouldn't mind smelling mint or even bananas." I will send my gorilla friend over immediately. He will pelt your windows with random fruit and herbs. It'll smell nicer but just be careful. He has a bad habit or two. But he's a fan of hockey and M&M's so how dangerous could he be??

Lmao GC. I remember that picture!! Just can't remember from what thread. HL was pretty fun back then. :)

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.