Passport Question

Hey all, looking for some help... I recently was asked to travel for work next week and realized my passport expired. I have tried to call the consular services #, can't get anybody live on the phone. Anyone have any experience with using a passport service that guarantees 72 hour delivery?
Thanks!

need help need help
Jul '15

I can't help you with the 72 hour thing. Not sure where you are going, but I do know there are countries that you cannot travel to if your passport is less than 6 months old.

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-rule

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

"This rule is in place so that if the un-expecting traveler needs to stay for a period up to six month his/her passport would be valid to leave the country."

This would indicate to me that they require you to have at least 6 months LEFT on the passport before it expires, not that it has to be at least 6 months old... as other areas on that website indicate.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Best case is 8 business days and you have to go to New York or Philly to apply in person:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english.html/

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

A coworker, despite choosing the expedited service, was caught in the same predicament. In her case, it was less than 48 hours. She drove to Philly with all of her documentation and got the new passport in the same day.

I have a question, you mention "consular". I don't recall having to go to a consulate for my passport. I did have to use it for my visa when I went to India last December. You don't need a visa too, do you?

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Thanks for the info guys, set up an apt in Philly, hoping they can issue same day...

need help need help
Jul '15

Best of luck. I think I'll check my passport expiration date when I get home now (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

LOL ian. My passport had expired earlier in 2014 when I found out I was going to India (for work.) I did everything with what should have been enough time. My visa application got denied because of 2 ridiculous objections: I wore my glasses in my visa application photo and I signed the visa application in red ink.

I almost had to delay my trip. Luckily, when the company is paying for things, you can choose every single "expedited" option available regardless of the cost.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

My wife's cousin got married and he and his wife were supposed to honeymoon somewhere in the Caribbean (Jamaica, I think). He found out AT THE AIRPORT that his passport was expired. Needless to say, they changed their plans and honeymooned in Puerto Rico instead (at great expense, I'm sure). I wouldn't have changed places with him that day if I were on Death Row, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Wow! I guess I totally read that wrong. LMAO

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

IAnimal is correct, it's 6 months LEFT on the passport.

Best case scenario is not 8 days, it's same day. I've done same day before in NY, and also paid once for a same-day service when I didn't have time to go wait in the stupid line myself. Was about $500 in the city.

Be prepared to spend hours (sorry, maybe Philly is more efficient). And good luck!

Also - a passport card is now offered in addition to a full passport. I got one of those too. It's the size of a driver's license. Useful for travels to places like USVI, Canada, Mexico & Puerto Rico I think, etc. AND useful in case you are traveling and misplace your passport.

One last tip: travel with a copy of the first pages of your passport. For backup. Safe travels.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

A passport card can ONLY be used for any country that touches the USA.(Canada and Mexico) AND one should never, never use a red ink to sign a legal document! Not sign in a pencil either!

Bernie Bernie
Jul '15

The passport card does not apply to Canada and Mexico if traveling by air. It only applies at land crossings, but it does also apply to some Caribbean sea ports and Bermuda by sea. (according to travel.state.gov)

Sorry, I stand corrected if you can go VIA sea to some places. BUT I fly to Toronto from Newark all the time and they accept my passport card.

Bernie Bernie
Jul '15

When you will sign your passport application and passport, use the same signature as on your driver's license, not the one you use at ShopRite's register.

Rebecka, hate to ask but how long ago was that when you did yours in same day?
Thanks!

need help need help
Jul '15

Rebecka - You don't need a passport for Puerto Rico or USVI. They are technically part of the US. You just need a driver's license.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

I renewed my passport the same-day twice, about 5 and 15 years ago. Strangely enough, the longest thing I needed done took 2 weeks, and that was getting pages *added* to my filled-up passport. Sent it to DC if I remember.

You're right, Calico, about not needing a passport, but I don't leave the Continental US without my passport card, when going to the USVIs for example. Feel much better traveling with it.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

I needed to renew my passport about 5 years ago and had an appt for the office in CT. I had to bring a letter from my company stating it was for work and also my flight info. It cost extra to have it extradited and I also had to pay the Fed Ex charge. I believe I went on a Friday and received it by Tues.

Good luck! Make sure you don't need a visa for your destination.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Jul '15

Wow, thread just reminded my that my passport expires next year. Time to start thinking about renewal.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

Be prepared to pay about $200.00

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '15

Just as a follow up to my original post, went to the passport center in Philly this morning. Passport will be ready in 2 days for pickup and if anyone else gets in this jam like I did, you just need to show you are traveling within 2 weeks.

need help need help
Jul '15

Glad it worked out for you... what was the damage for super-expedited service (if you don't mind me asking)?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Need help, curious to know if they charged a lot more for the speedy service. Always good to know!

Bessie Bessie
Jul '15

What about Belvedere Court house?

sparks1964jbc sparks1964jbc
Jul '15

We did ours at Belvidere Court House several years ago..took the pictures there as well...it was quick and efficient and I think we had our passports back in less than two weeks...

joyful joyful
Jul '15

I got my passport through the hackettstow post office, they have a lady there that does them once a week, the application process, Took about 2 weeks to get it

Doctor K16 Doctor K16
Jul '15

$190 total for everything including expedited service. Had appointment at 9am, arrived at 8:30, was out by 10:30...not all bad considering...

need help need help
Jul '15

There is a place called "it's easy" in the concourse at Rockefeller center. They will do expedited passports and visas for you (for a hefty fee). http://www.itseasyservices.com It appears they want $395 (in addition to the normal fees) for a next day passport.

They also do fun things for you at the DMV.

Brendan Brendan
Jul '15

Would anyone believe I got my passport renewed in a week, without expediting it? Over Christmas? I mailed it on Dec 21 (next day) and it was waiting for me in my mailbox when we returned home yesterday. I couldn't believe it. Was worried I wouldn't have it to go to Quebec City next month.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '15

MeisterNJ, mine took less than 3 weeks, mailed in early November. I had been thinking of expediting, as it expired early January and I had a trip scheduled. I'm glad I saved the money! Yours was practically a government miracle!

Yes, can't believe it. The new one is dated Dec 23, so they processed it in one day. I assume having Global Entry had something to do with it. Glad I didn't spend the extra dough.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '15

For those planning domestic travel, keep up on ID requirements. Eventually, your NJ license may not get you on the plane.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/28/technology/passport-drivers-license-airplane/

Got my passport renewed. Mailed it Priority Mail on 9/9. Received it yesterday, 9/19. Regular service.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '16

We actually got a passport done in Philly on the same day due to a lost passport and proof of travel the next day. We called and after a long wait on hold, got an appt and waited around in Philly all day with a whole bunch of other people, but we left with the passport in hand. Wouldn't necessarily recommend this stressful option, but it can be done in an emergency with proof of an airline ticket.

My husband just renewed his by mail as well. It took less than two weeks.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

If you travel regularly, consider getting Global Entry (international) or at least TSA Pre for domestic. It's fantastic. Has saved us a few times. Getting through US customs takes about 10 min with Global Entry.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '16

Try Belvidere court. My husband went there and got his extremely fast. I went to the post office and her got his way before I got mine

Htownlifer Htownlifer
Sep '16

The Warren County Clerk's office in Belevidere is the way to go for an initial passport. A renewal will cost you $20 more there than renewing by mail.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

You wouldn't believe the amount of issues people run into with travel regarding passports.

Passport must be valid for 6 months from the date of travel to enter many countries. So if you are leaving tomorrow and your passport expires say 2/1/17, just renew it now.

Make sure everything is correct on your birth certficate. Co worker of mine (I'm a travel agent) recently had a client denied her passport because her birth certificate had her mother's maiden name spelt wrong.

You can be denied passports for a number of issues, perfect example a client had a lien against them for back owed child support. They were denied.

In April I applied for my passport and received within 2 weeks.

FYI - Newton post office you do not need an appointment for passports unlike many other post offices.

You do not need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands include St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix.

If you are traveling on cruise you do not need a passport if you are traveling on closed loop cruise that leaves and returns to the same port when sailing to Bermuda, Caribbean, and Mexico. With that all said, I strongly encourage anyone cruising anywhere to have a passport. If for some reason there is emergency and you need to fly home, you are pretty much screwed.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Sep '16

All good info Mof3. My husband's passport was set to expire in Feburary, which is why he did the renewal last month.

You make an excellent point about taking your passport when cruising even thought it's not technically needed. Friends of mine, who cruised from Miami, had to fly back from Mexico on their third day out on a 10 day cruise due to a sudden death in the family. They were lucky they had their passports.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

That's why I renewed my passport. We're only cruising to Canada in a few weeks, but if there was an emergency and we needed to get back, we'd need them to get home

Tracy Tracy
Sep '16

You would be amazed at how many people tell me they don't want to spend the money on passport!

Plus, we might all need passports to fly domestically eventually due to the required updates needs to fly with driver's licenses.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Sep '16

Tracy - we're cruising to Canada in a few weeks as well! Wondering if it's the same trip. Small world.

"You would be amazed at how many people tell me they don't want to spend the money on passport!"

Ridiculous, it's for 10 years! My husband just renewed his and it was $110. That's $11/year.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Calico696 - Yet they will spend more on starbucks a year!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Sep '16

Your passport is the best ID you can have, even just in the US, usually superseding two other forms of ID such as driver's license and birth certificate.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '16

Starbucks nothing, that sounds like someone's weekly liquor store run... ;-)

LOL GC! Once upon a time that's what I spent on diapers for the kids in a month! Who am I kidding, likely more with 3 in them at once!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Sep '16

Need to get an initial for a family member and a renewal for myself. What is the current timing on these at this point? Need them back in 4 weeks. Doable if I go right to the Belvidere Courthouse?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '17

On June 8th, I went to Long Valley post office and applied for two new passports for my younger daughters and a renewal passport for my older Daughter. They were here 2.5 to 3 weeks later! I was shocked at how quickly they arrived. Goodluck!

EG_1982 EG_1982
Jul '17

I got mine (initial) in about 2.5 weeks back in August. I did everything through the Post Office in Hackettstown

weebiekins weebiekins
Jul '17

Same, I went to buddlake post Office and arrived 2 weeks after

I just renewed my passport through Hackettstown PO on Thursday. We'll see how long it takes.

Whether new or renewal you go to your local PO. The courthouse will not not get the passport any faster.

That's what I was wondering, GC. Good to know!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '17

3wbdwnj - They will tell you 6 to 8 weeks is usual turn around time without any expediting. I've had one come back within 2 weeks and another 3 weeks.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '17

Thanks Mommyof3, we are keeping our fingers crossed it gets back in time. No hard plans scheduled so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '17

I need to do this soon as well. I always thought Fedexing directly to DC was the way to ensure quick turn-around. Need to look into it... will report back, too.

On a related note - consider getting a generic passport cover (especially if you are traveling to more sensitive areas). It's no one's business what your nationality is/ safety precaution.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Just a heads up for someone who might be in a similar situation....

I went to the Belvidere courthouse for a passport renewal a couple years ago. I had 8 weeks before I was leaving, but wanted to pay the rush fee just for peace of mind. The woman there was very nice, but she told me not to worry about rushing it because they usually only take 3 weeks or so. And if I didn't get it a week before my trip, I could call and ask them to rush it then.

Well, that's what happened. But when I called to ask them to rush it, they said it was too late in the process and they couldn't guarantee I'd receive it on time. It came two days before my trip, so it turned out alright. But I really wish she wouldn't have felt the need to talk me out of it! It was unnecessary stress and I was willing to pay to avoid that.

Passports can be issued out of regional centers. If you really get stuck and don't have a passport within a week of your trip, you can to to a regional center (in NYC for example). If you have your itinerary with you that proves the trip is under a week, you can walk out with your passport the same day. It takes about six hours to do, but you get it same day.

Ah yes... fond memories of taking an entire day off from work to spend it at the passport office in Manhattan lol. Quite a pain, but definitely good to point out that it can be done same-day if you absolutely need to get out of Dodge quickly.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

As I said upthread, I got mine in about a week. I filled everything out online and mailed it on Dec 21st. Passport is dated Dec 23rd. It was waiting in my mailbox on Dec. 28. And I didn't expedite other than using overnight USPS. I sent mine to the Philly renewal center.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '17

Rebecka - Or you find out while you're in the check in like that it's 90 days from when you leave the country, not 90 days when you enter the country that you have to have left on your passport. And your passport is 79 days away from when you leave. ;-)

Oh man!! What a way to start a trip.

My most fun passport incident happened when corrupt immigration officials in Cambodia *took* my passport, put me in a small, hot room, made me wait an hour, and were actually waiting for bribe money to give it back to me and clear me to enter the country.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Also anyone looking at this post that will be traveling please make sure your passport is valid for 6 months following your trip. If you passport is expiring within 6 months of your travel departure date, they can (and likely will) deny you entry.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '17

Yeah same thing Rebecka in a South American country I was in. When I went to leave this one guy told me my paperwork wasn't in order. I asked what the issue was and he kept repeating the same phrase. I think it was the only English he knew. I ran back to the airline counter , asked for assist and a manager there took me back and talked to the guy with the issue. They let me go but I realized he had wanted a bribe to let me through.

A good day
Jul '17

So I applied for a renewal and an initial for another family member on July 31st. Both arrived in the mail today! Two week turn-around, without expedited service! Woot!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '17

Glad to hear it 3wb! Isn't it great when things work out?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Sure is!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '17

Got our renewal passports back in about 2 weeks too!

Some things still work!

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Aug '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.