Refacing a large brick fireplace

I am hoping for recommendations for contractors and places to shop material to reface...I think I want gray stone look--- and would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Re: Refacing a large brick fireplace

I used Cultured Stone at my last house. Went over the existing brick (no before pic, unfortunately). It's a great product and a bit more reasonable than real stone. Unless you're right next to it, you would swear it was real stone. I did the work myself, so no recommendations handy. The entire wall and hearth were brick-faced.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

Here's an in-process pic.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

And another.....

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

thanks MeisterNJ - that is the what I'm looking for - it looks great --- where did you buy the stone??

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

I was looking at this stuff at Lowes that looks similar.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_540184-35760-CLSCFI_0__?productId=50247197&Ntt=

Joe M Joe M
Jul '15

I saw that, Joe - but I'm not sure it looked as good or "real" as what Meister posted.

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Wicki stone, great meadows, if you want the real thing. http://www.wickistone.com/

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

Thanks. I believe it was MF Kelly in Perth Amboy where I got it. I did this in 2008. They have other locations and I think Stone Center in Bridgewater carries it (and others) as well. I used limestone treads and the only brick I had to remove was where it met the fireplace doors, so as to keep the same height. I went right over the brick everywhere else by screwing masonry mesh and scratch coating it. The cost of just the cultured stone was around $900, if I recall correctly, though like I said, it was several years ago.

There are many products out there, so you should have no problem finding what you need.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

I found what I was looking for at R.P. Smith in Succasunna. The have a large selection of many types of stone and cultured stone. They are great to deal with. I found a mason through them who comes with great reviews. And now for my question....Where can I get a decent fireplace door for under $1000 ? I want to see it first. I've been to Hearth and Home (only catalogues and ridiculous prices) and SOS in Mansfield (also catalogues and doors starting at $1000 plus). Suggestions and options please....

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '15

I have never been here and my first suggestion didn't work out so good for you regarding fireplaces... but how about The Fireplace Store in Fairfield, it's kind of across 46 from Structural Stone (the real Structural Stone) not that creepy place that we stumbled across.. LOL!!

http://www.thefireplaceplace.com/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '15

Got my stoneface at RP Smith in sucasunna, but only because they were the only local place that carried the brand I wanted.

This is a Xmas pic lol, not a pic of the whole thing, but you get the idea...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '15

Nice job, Meister!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '15

JrzyGirl88 - I had them install a fireplace door in my old place and they're on my list - Thanks for reminding me.

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '15

Thanks JR. It was definitely a selling point and the place was on the market for less than two weeks in 2010. And very nice yourself. Love the timber mantle.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

5catmom, no idea where to get a reasonable fireplace door. I had sticker shock when I went looking. Wound up having the existing brass one sandblasted for $80. Then I used two rattle cans of high temp grill paint. Came out great.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

Really beautiful. Mine is the same size red brick. How do I clean that?

PacificNorth
Oct '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.