Is NJ really the least liked state?

FWIW:

https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/07/01/new-jersey-least-liked-state-america/

RAD What do you think
I like the warren county area and a lot more jersey has it all

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

that doesn't surprise me at all. I do think New Jersey is one of the hardest states to survive in considering cost of living, salaries, taxes, amount of jobs, commuting etc. and that way of living can rub off on some of the residents :)

brown bear
Jul '15

I've lived my entire long life in the State of NJ. I've visited many other States around the Country Including the distant States of Alaska and Hawaii (they were both great to visit.) I enjoy/love living in NJ. Just about anything I have interest in has a presence in NJ. Of course the big negative for many folks (including me and my Hub) are the taxes. We've decided that's the price we'll have pay to continue to live here near family, friends and all the things we enjoy about the State. And, to Caged, I like Warren County too!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '15

I have said it before, NJ is no country for old men.

If you're young, upwardly mobile, willing to work hard, willing to commute, NJ is a great place to live and get ahead in life. Same might be said for NYC and other places but most of those other places are not as structured around bedroom communities as NJ.

I started here, moved around a lot, will finish career here, and then leave. Couldn't think of a finer place to have done all that. NJ afforded me the ability to see the world on someone else's dime and much, much more.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

NJ is far from the worst. Have you seen Florida? haha.. There are entire websites that document the stuff that goes on in Florida.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-definitive-and-final-ranking-of-all-50-states-122796477147.html

NJ also has the most available benefits for low income. I read it and now I cannot find it.

Christine Christine
Jul '15

I would like to get out NJ, but I can name quite a few I would not go to because they are just as bad. The North East and West coast for starters.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '15

Well I said I would never leave NJ ever but here I am 10 months into living in South Carolina. I really have no regrets leaving NJ because I was sick of the high cost of living and the winters.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '15

mommyof3, are the Palmetto bugs any issue for you? I vacation in SC and like it very much but I don't like these roaches, especially at night. Not a fan of insects, and God knows NJ has our share but these SC bugs creep me out.

justwondering justwondering
Jul '15

It all depends on your point of view.

This survey, like most, likely has a very limited set of criteria.....kind of like those "what kind of plant/dog/beer/animal are you?" things.

Every rose has its thorns.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jul '15

Wow that song is a throwback to my youth lol.

skippy skippy
Jul '15

I think most of that is based on reputation--people (including myself!) have been mocking New Jersey for years. I've had several friends from across the country (and Canada) visit New Jersey, for the first time, and all of them loved it. And all of them said the same thing--that everything was much different, and much nicer, than they had expected.

Of course, they stayed with me, in Warren or Morris County--not in downtown Newark.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jul '15

Re: Is NJ really the least liked state?

Justwondering when I was in Georgia, I hated those things!! My college roommate was born and raised there and she was like "ooooohhh those are just Palmetto bugs", I was like are you "f'ing kidding me, that is a damn roach even if you put a pretty name on it". I proceeded to grab a can of hairspray, because let's face it, what self respecting Jersey girl in the 80's didn't have a can of "Rave Mega-Hold" easily available and sprayed the hell out of the thing. Thanks for the memory, I haven't thought about that in years!!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '15

Growing up in western Penn, we often referred to NJ as the "arm pit" of the nation. We would mock the garden state image as a pile of trash.
I never thought I would of married the "Jersey Girl" of my dreams and relocate here!
Warren County is my home now and I love it here. It's very much like where I grew up.

I'm not a fan of the east coast or that part of the rat race. That's the part of Jersey that people see in the media and gets the most attention, therefore gives us a bad rep.

Sure the taxes are high and I will not be able to retire here, but for right now it's where my heart is and is my home.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jul '15

I work with alot of guys from outa stats and they all say the same thing. They had no idea nj was this nice. When they think of NJ they think of Newark, Jersey City,Dover,Camden, and Ervington. That's what we are known for that's why they don't like us. And That and we drive to fast. Haha

OK then
Jul '15

Geographically, most parts of NJ are very nice. The politicians have ruined it.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '15

I love NJ and most of the people - its the continued corruption and legal climate that became untenable for me http://www.thesopranostate.com/

Skippy Skippy
Jul '15

Yeah, it's the politicians fault......

NJ has gotten a lot of bad TV PR: Soprano's, Jersey Shore, BoardWalk Empire.
We outsource our great cities to NY and PA keeping Newark and Trenton for ourselves.
Many know us by passing through on the Turnpike oil gauntlet, not our best side.
And then there's the jokes......

So many don't know the rest of NJ, the part most of us live in.

But still, losing to Alabama and Louisiana, man that's harsh.

I say good, keeps the tourons away (tourist and moron put together)

strangerdanager strangerdanager
Jul '15

I've visited up and down the east coast and I've traveled outside of the US. I can tell you, yes we are a tough state. And you need a backbone to live here. But it's a nice state and like " strangerdanger" said perfectly if it keeps the tourist away and the morons... than so be it.

Tina.W
Jul '15

i moved out of jersey and i couldnt wait to move back.now that im back would not move out of jersey again.theres nothing like home.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.