The Next Triple Crown Winner American Pharoah?

We shall see today at the Belmont Stakes. What a horse! He is heavily favored to win causing the odds to be crazy this morning.

The same things you just said, have been said since 1978. The Belmont is the graveyard of Triple Crown hopefuls. A part of me wants him to do it, but the other part likes the year after year excitement the attempt for the Triple Crown brings.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jun '15

Anyone know how many times AP has raced since the Kentucky Derby?

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jun '15

All I've heard is, he's the only one to race in all three-- Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont.

That makes it hard.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Thanks, Andy. I wasn't sure if there were other races besides those 3.
Do you or anyone else know if there are any horses in the race that have not raced during the past few months? Just curious, I won't be betting, although if I were, I would go for American Pharoah regardless if there are other horses that are more rested!

Jun '15

I think AP has the best shot in the past few years. He is a good looking horse. Muscled up and built nicely. My spoiler is .Materiality

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '15

Do you or anyone else know if there are any horses in the race that have not raced during the past few months? Just curious, I won't be betting, although if I were, I would go for American Pharoah regardless if there are other horses that are more rested!

Spring Fever

Thoroughbreds usually get 4 weeks rest between races (but can be shorter). The racing is hard on a horse. That is why the 3 Crown is so hard to achieve. The Belmont is run 5 weeks after the Derby.

To win a Triple Crown, a horse has to run the three races in a short span, without the customary rest. He must beat rivals who typically don’t run in all three races and are fresher. And he has to endure the longest of the three races in the final leg, the Belmont.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jun '15

Thanks, Clyde, I didn't know all of that.
Looking forward to the race even more now!

Jun '15

We're almost up to Post Time.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Congratulations, American Pharaoh! Great to see history made.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Jun '15

Great race to watch!
American Pharoah looked amazing.

Jun '15

Mom and I were there with our little girl 37 years ago. She held up a sign she made. "Horse of the year Affirmed". Great Memories.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '15

He wasn't as impressive as Secretariat, but still he won going away. Nice horse and great jockey. Happy for the owner, trainer and jockey. And of course AP.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jun '15

I thought someone said it was the second best time since Secretariat. If true, that's impressive.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '15

I just meant Secretariat won by over 15 lengths.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jun '15

I looked it up Secretariat (1973) ran a world American record of 2:24 won by 31 Lengths
American Pharoah ran 2;26.65 Not to shabby. won by 5 1/2 Lengths

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '15

I bet next year there will be a lot more horses wearing ear plugs, as AP did for this race...

Jun '15

Awesome!

Horse racing at it's best for sure! Congrats American Pharaoh!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '15

The very first Triple Crown won on D-Day. American Pharoah wins on D-Day.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Jun '15

Good post!

Think a good time to review the greatest horse to ever live Secretariat at Bellmont think he still holds the record for a mile and half - he smoked them all they arent even in the picture.

& his final video - watch them both good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCMtaNiMDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oyQPvoXMvs

Re: The Next Triple Crown Winner American Pharoah?

& heard American Pharoah was running with a bar shoe the entire Triple Crown so give him credit he has a huf issue/spit or whatever he did a nice a job but he is no Secretariat.
imo

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/10182/bar-shoes

Will leave you with a famous Secretariat. photo from Belmont, NY...yah they still aint catchin him!

... and the crowd goes wild!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

I was there. Crowd went into a roar. Then American PHAROAH made a slow pass in front of the whole grandstand. What a horse!

just coach just coach
Jun '15

I was at the Preakness in 1973 when Secretariat won there ... it was a good race, he won by almost three lengths after breaking out of the pack on the outside.

An exciting day.

Could have gone to the Belmont, with a media credential, but my old high school won the state baseball championship that day in Group 3 ... I went for the high school game. When it is your school --- there is nothing like a state championship.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

American Pharoah is a beautiful horse. So happy he was victorious. He ran an amazing race.

Already have my tickets for the Haskell.

just coach just coach
Jun '15

This will likely give the sport an interest boost for awhile.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Great to see a Triple Crown winner, American Pharoah has to been considered an all time great, but there will never be another Secretariat.

https://youtu.be/eT50hQINVrI

Denis Denis
Jun '15

Well, he's the closest to it in nearly four decades, I'll just enjoy the moment.

LeBron James gets that, too, he's no Jordan.

Well, since Jordan is in his 50s now, I'll just enjoy watching LeBron James for now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

At the Haskell for American Pharoah race today. Cars started lining up at 4:00 am to get in when parking opens at 5:00 am. Gates don't open until 9:00 am people sitting on lawn chairs lining up to get picnic tables on the rail. 4 hour pre opening party. It's all fun.

just coach just coach
Aug '15

is it on TV ?

patti patti
Aug '15

Just coach..how's your day going? Was watching on TV and it's crazy!

Bessie Bessie
Aug '15

Just heard that American Pharoah won the race today. Didnt watch it on tv. Did he win by a lot?

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Aug '15

He won by 4 lengths but was ahead by 20, victor just slowed him down not to waste energy, he could have won by 30 if he wanted to.

Could have but Jockey held him back for next race. Announcer said he could have won by 20 lengths

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '15

Could American Pharoah be coming back to the Jersey Shore in September?

If Monmouth Park officials have their way, the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years would have his final prep race before the Breeders' Cup Classic on Oct. 31 at the track.

According to Dennis Drazin, an adviser to Monmouth Park's operators, they are putting together a $1 million race, plus a bonus, to be presented to American Pharoah owner Ahmed Zayat, with the date and distance to be chosen by him, as an option.

Zayat has yet to announce where American Pharoah will make his next start.

"We are going to be aggressive and offer them a race here at Monmouth Park in September for $1 million, with a new name and new sponsorship and if they want to come back and run on our track we would be thrilled to have them," Drazin said.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '15

Clyde, isnt that what i said, or am i missing something,

JT, relax. Time shows we posted at same time. Happens a lot on here

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '15

The posts are funny here sometimes. I've posted something only to have it held for a few minutes, someone else responds at the same time and it looks like I responded with the same answer. It's just the way it works sometimes.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '15

my bad, sorry about that

No problem JT

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '15

what a race, he is a big beautiful horse, i hope he goes to travers stakes, i go every year, its beautiful up there in Saratoga, thanks for understanding clyde, jt

Clyde and I always talk about going to Saratoga, just haven't gotten there yet. It looks like a great place for a long weekend

Bessie Bessie
Aug '15

Mom and I never minded taking our daughter to Saratoga. It is beaufiful area.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '15

Saratoga has a lot to offer. Not only is it a good place by itself, you are not far from Bennington VT and Williamstown MA which are other good destinations. Lage George and Ticonderoga are not too far, plus you go through Hyde Park and Rhinebeck on the trip up with Roosevelt and Venderbilt mansions.

I spent all my young years growing up west of there in the "Leatherstocking" region best know for Cooperstown. We visited all those places and more as a kid when they were just an hour or so away. Any questions, just yell.

Haskell was the most fun I've had at the track. Been to derby, preakness, belmont. Music , food, coolers allowed staff very friendly and helpful. Large track area for picnic, kids all over. 60,900 people and never felt it was too many. Now for the horse American Pharoah believe me when I say the air time he gets with his stride is stunning and beautiful . Once I get my pictures organized will share. Keep A P in NJ. By the way Gov. CHRIS CHRISTIE was in the winners circle after race When he was asked to speak he was drowned out completely with loud Boos that lasted a long time. GO Pharoah ! !!!!!!

just coach just coach
Aug '15

Bessie, you would love it, its beautiful, even if your not a big horse racing fan, its still beautiful, i happen to love the horses so i get a great place with racing, lots of fun

Where do you stay when you go?

Bessie Bessie
Aug '15

We usd to stay in the motels in the the Glen Falls area because it was cheeper. Most places raize the rates in August.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '15

the comfort in around exit 6, its cheaper and nice, 20 minutes to track. the track is exit 13. if forget the highway but if you mapquest it, its the last highway, right off of nys throughway

I'm going to Saratoga on Friday for the morning exercise and breakfast then the Whitney race on Saturday. Looking to see HONOR CODE. what a great horse!

just coach just coach
Aug '15

Enjoy coach, always a fun trip and a great horse

Hear that he is heading to Travers, thats gonna make for a full house, already they get like 50,00o every year

Owner wants travers, Baffert will make the final call.

just coach just coach
Aug '15

Given the $100M he is predicted to earn in stud fees over the rest of his life, I wouldn't let him race ever again if I were his owner. What's the upside, winning a million at the Travers? What if he breaks his leg and needs to be put down? Not worth the risk, IMO.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

Thats the owners way of giving back to horse racing. People want to see him. It's just a hobby to him.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '15

The guy is already rich, this is not about money, its about him having a great horse and trying to show that it may be one of the greatest ever.

I have read that the owner already sold Pharoah's breeding rights before the Kentucky Derby. If so, he has financial incentive to race him.

Race him like a rented mule, he will, lol... good info, jd2; I didn't know that.

Probably go down in history as one of the smartest purchases ever (for whomever bought the breeding rights pre-Derby).

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/12916711/american-pharoah-breeding-rights-sold-undisclosed-farm

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

Two words HONOR CODE. ....GOOGLE MET MILE & The Whitney ( today at Saratoga) both races . They will be talking about Honor Code vs. American Pharoah at the Breeders Cup. Awesome race today.

just coach just coach
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.