Bedding Plants

Has anyone bought plants yet ... are annuals available or is it too early to plant?

hapiest girl
May '15

It's definitely not too early to plant. Frost date is may 15th for our zone, but I don't think there will be another frost until fall.

Annuals are available at all the local nurseries.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
May '15

I planted about two weeks ago- Fair game now.

Check out http://www.godlewskyfarms.com/ it's pretty awesome....I need to take a break this weekend and NOT go there as I did enough damage there the last two weekends.

Nosila Nosila
May '15

I planted already - yup, Nosila - that's where I got my first batch.

5catmom 5catmom
May '15

I second Godlewsky's. Unbeatable selection. I always think everything will fit in the car but usually make two trips.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

Godlewsky's has the best selection of annuals. Well Sweep has the best selection of perennials. Well Sweep does generally cost more though. I buy my annuals and most of my perennials at Godlwesky's and fill in with a couple of special perennial items from Well Sweep. These days I've been tending to swap more and more. This year it maybe strictly a couple annuals for planters, and a hanging basket or two. With enough perennials you eventually just have stock to spread more of them around.

I know the conventional wisdom is to plant now, but there is always that one year with the unexpected cold night. It only has to be that extra cold once a year to cause a really big problem. Personally, I don't plant until Memorial Day. The plants you go to buy are usually a bit bigger and healthier if you wait.

Put June 6 on your calendar if you don't have it already. Well Sweep does their annual Open House with lectures and demonstrations. Donaldson's does "Perennial Fest" with sample garden's and lectures.

Does anyone know if Godlewski's has Lantana ?

Mariann Mariann
May '15

Mariann - It's listed in their greenhouse map (see web site). They almost always have it in hanging baskets and other planters. A lot of the planters it's mixed with other things, and that may be the case with some baskets too. It's listed in their regular annuals too, but I don't really remember seeing it sold that way most years.

Hoffman's Supply in Long Valley has individual lantana plants.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.