Bark collars for dogs

I'm looking for opinions on what everyone thinks is the best bark collars for dogs. I have 2 dachshunds(which we've had since they were puppies and are now 5). Due to the death of my father and my mother's dementia, I've taken in their 10 year old dachshund. They seem to be adjusting pretty well to each other but it's a night when I'm having an issue. I crate my 2 at night and the new addition is also crated right next to them. The new guy barks a lot thru the night. I don't want to start taking him out of the crate and creating more of an issue. Does anyone have any experience on how I can handle the barking? Not sure if a bark collar is the way to go. I know they do have a hand held type device but they seem to only work 15 feet away and I don't know if that's an option since I have the other two.Thanks!

Ollie Ollie
May '15

If he is only barking at night, in his crate, wack a rolled up newspaper on the side of the crate and yell "NO!". After a few times, he will associate "no" with fear and should stop barking with just a quick yell. Before you start this, try to give it a couple more days and he will follow the other dog's routine, hopefully. I wouldn't use a shock collar on a ten yr. old dog.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
May '15

What was his routine prior to you taking him in? Was he crate trained? Sleep with your parents? This is what seems to be the reason why he barks. Shock collars are cruel.

Teenie Teenie
May '15

Bark (shock) collar for a 10 year old dog who just lost his owners and is adjusting to a new home. Yeah. I have some opinions for you, but they aren't about bark collars.

weebiekins weebiekins
May '15

Ollie, my only opinion is that it is great that you took in your parent's dog. It was a compassionate choice. I'm sure you'll get some good and compassionate advice. I'm sorry for your family situation. Very stressful. Be strong.

Weebiekins,I wasn't even considering a shock collar. And if you look closely at the post I never used the word shock. Thanks for your compassion. You have no idea what's gone on in the past 9 months so please keep your snide comments to yourself. They are far from helpful. This is exactly why I hesitated even asking on this forum.
I was think more along the lines of the citronella ones or the hand held type that omit the the sonic sound only heard by dogs. My daughter tried to take the dog but he could not acclimate to the cat. He slept in a crate at their house but in their bedroom. Something I was hoping to avoid as my other two do not.
Thank you, maja for your compassion. Unfortunately my father's death wasn't under normal circumstances. So there is much we have been trying to deal with.

Ollie Ollie
May '15

Hi Ollie, sorry for your loss, some people are a holes and cant read or understand english. I have a pit for 11 years, and i could never crate her, she is very sensitive and will only sleep in my room, with me, your new dog is scared, try letting her sleep in the room with your for a while, i know that can be an inconvience, but eventually he or she will understand you are not going anywhere,, the times i did ever crate my dog, i would say come on good girl time for bed and she would go in and i would give her treats, these are just my ideas, maybe they can help, many dogs are like people and they feel comfortable with there owners

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

im also agains negative reinforcement in general, you dont want to put fear in her you want her to feel safe and secure

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

lastly my dog was a rescue at 3, when i got her she would go to the bathroom in the house, run away, she had been bounced around alot, she was scared, i never yelled at her, i just rewarded her when she got it right, i have never had a problem since

jt 16 jt 16
May '15

Thank you jt 16. We are against negative reinforcement as well. It's definitely been a hard adjustment for the little guy. I appreciate all your suggestions!

Ollie Ollie
May '15

The rolled newspaper smacked against the side of the crate is absolutely out of the questions. Associating "no" with "fear" borders on abuse. As with your other dogs you want to build an association of trusting and understanding. The key here is "Patience" The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset. Animals are far from stupid. They hurt just like we do and it's very possible that at night she/he is missing your parents the most. Break your house rules for a bit and hopefully the situation will correct itself on its own. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
May '15

I agree with Teenie. If you can try to keep the dog's routine he had with your parents, that would probably ease his transition. The loss is difficult on him as well as you and the rest of the family. Going from his home, to your sister, to you and all the changes is going to take some time for a 10 year old to adjust. I would suggest crating him in your room at night, since it sounds like that's what he is used to. In time, when he is more comfortable, you may be able to move his crate out with your dogs. I bet that will stop the barking.

When my greyhound was new to me, he would get nervous at night. He would chew on his crate, so I eventually started leaving the door open. He had a habit for a while of barking in my face at 2 am - even though they say greyhounds don't bark, this one sure does! Thankfully, in time, he got over that as well as the separation anxiety he had whenever I left him. Now he knows when I go out, I will be back. He only gets anxious if I'm in the house in another room and he can't get to me, but it's so much better than it was.

The new dog needs time to adjust and feel secure, he may also feel a little nervous with your dogs since they are younger. Try to reward his good behavior and ignore the bad, unless there's a danger, of course. Good luck, hope it gets better.

Lynnada Lynnada
May '15

Some of the shock collars have just a vibrate , no shock unless you turn it up , I have had good luck with them and then don't need to use it anymore , it is a good training device in some situations , mine was for my donkey that would not stop braying at night and it was bothering others so I used it to train him and now it's not needed , it was better than having to get rid of him

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
May '15

Thank you everyone. The poor little guy has been thru so much. That's why I reaching out for help. Bringing another dog into my home when I already have two is a new experience for me. And being dachshund's they are stubborn little guys!!! You're kind words are very much appreciated.

Ollie Ollie
May '15

If the older dog is in good physical condition, see if you can provide some exercise. All the dogs would benefit actually and that may help tire him out. Something simple as a good walk is all you'd need, especially if he isn't used to being exercised regularly. Not sure how long it has been since you took him but be patient (sounds like you are already doing that) and hopefully he'll adjust soon.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '15

We are taking long and frequent walks. Not sure about him, but I'm exhausted!! I again, I want to thank everyone for you input and kind words. It's been a rough 9 months and to read your encouraging words has been wonderful. I'll excuse the people that seem to rush to judgment. They are not walking in my shoes as I am not theirs. I'll keep everyone posted on how things are going.

Ollie Ollie
May '15

Try putting a towel over the crate. A lot of dogs like to feel like it's a their den and if it's open they dont feel as secure in it. I would also try putting in another room so they dont keep waking each other up. It could just be that they hear each other and start barking away.

Nosila Nosila
May '15

A towel over the crate is a great idea , I have a rescue that was kept in cage day and night , he didn't even know what rain was so lightning really freaked him out and barked allllll night so I covered crate with towel and he calmed down , good luck , so good of you to take the dog

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
May '15

Bach's Rescue Remedy for pets is truly fantastic. Available on Amazon. Another product is called Composure for dogs. Also helps many with anxiety issues. I would give both a try. Your issue will likely be solved with one of them.

How nice that you took in the little guy. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '15

Thanks Rebecka, I may give that a try.

Ollie Ollie
May '15

If any dog barks those bark collars go off. So the poor dog wearing the collar gets zinged even if another nearby dog barks, just doesn't seem fair.

hktownie hktownie
May '15

Some respond only to vibration not the noise so that doesn't happen

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
May '15

I second rescue remedy. Have used it with great success on both cats and dogs.

Dansker Dansker
May '15

I just want to update my progress with my parent's dog. Things are getting much better. Thanks for the advice on rescue remedy. It seems to be working. I appreciate all the kind words. I was a bit frantic at first and hearing all your advice was very appreciated.

Ollie Ollie
May '15

Great news, Ollie! Rescue Remedy is always good to have on hand (for any pet owner). For pets that don't like thunderstorms, or going to the vet, or a move, or an injury that the animal is licking... it's just a wonderful all-around aid. It's well-known and loved to some, but I find many people haven't heard of it. Glad it might be useful for you. As you now have three Dachshunds you may even want to have some yourself! Lol just kidding. They just seem like dogs who are very smart and most pleased to make their own decisions about things... like what's for dinner... what's on their schedule for today...

Rebecka Rebecka
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.