Anyone know where I can sell antiques?

Looking to sell a bunch of older pieces. If anyone can send me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!

margarita
Apr '15

You'll make the most $ selling on your own than selling to a dealer that starts at 50% of what they can sell it for.

For anything shippable put on eBay. Anything else put ads here on HL and on Craigslist.

I've sold plenty of antiques and collectibles, and generally, Ebay is the way to go--IF they're small and light enough to be shipped, and IF you take the time to photograph and list them properly. (If you don't want to sell on Ebay, there are people who will do it for you, for a small fee.) Even if a dealer will give you a fair dealer's price, it's still going to be a "wholesale" price, because he has to be able to sell it retail and make a profit. When you sell on Ebay, you have both dealers and retail buyers competing against each other.

For larger, semi-valuable pieces, I'd suggest looking into having them auctioned.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Apr '15

Antiques dealer and fair, now there's a couple of terms I didn't think I'd see together :>) Don't get me wrong, I love antiques and dealing with dealers, but I tend to doubt you will get your best price there. Most are pretty savvy and will take a good profit in oh so many ways.

I agree, on-line is probably your best deal. Dealers sure, they have a place, and for bigger ticket items there are on-line auction houses that will parley your goods nationwide.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '15

Thank you all so much! I'm looking into having someone come out and by the lot... If the offer isn't right I plan on making this a hobby on eBay because I have so much! Thanks again for all the help :)

margarita
Apr '15

Set up a table at 5acres. If you want to get rid of it its gone by the end of da day? If its worth anything da die die people will buy it from you before the day ever starts. Question is ir you just want to rid of it or make a million? You wont make a million at 5 acrers. But you will go home lighter of stuff and put some extra spendin money in your pocket.

fitter fitter
Apr '15

I would contact Teel Auction house.

If you need national exposure then eBay does that just as well for a tenth of the commission of an auction. It's also not the right thing if it's something to be able to be shipped nationally. Auctions are the quickest way to get money, but not the most money. An auction is only if you have to have it sold at *ANY* price. Craigslist & HL are much better for large items that don't ship well. That increases the local exposure and doesn't cost a dime.

www.groveauctions.com

this guy is good, young, energetic and knowledgeable in glassware, (depression glass, railroad glass, etc)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.