Bird pecking at window

A robin has been attacking my windows for three days. I have put decals on windows, colored masking tape strips; pulled the shades; shooed her. Any suggestions? The above remedies were internet garnered suggestions.

remove the earthworms? maybe it sees it's reflection and thinks it's a potential mate?

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Open the window.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

It sees its reflection and is trying to chase a rival. Cover the window so there is no reflection, or put up with it.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '15

I had the same problem. I hung a curtain outside. I used what I think is called a tension rod. So you are essentially hanging a curtain on the outside of your window.
You can actually hang any piece of fabric (ie a towel, pillow case, etc ) on it if you do not have a spare curtain.

hapiest girl
Apr '15

If you have anything by the window that looks like it could be used for nest material, move it.

We used one of those creepy fake owls that worked until we needed to move the owl to stop other birds from roosting around our pool. Now the robin is back. I guess we need multiple creepy owls! LOL!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '15

Old wives tale says if birds trying to get in house means death to someone near.

I would go with the reflection. LOL

Teenie
Apr '15

I think Gadfly is right. I've heard of birds pecking at their reflection on a window or mirror, thinking it's another bird in their territory.

We've had a female Cardinal for the past few years do this. Got used to it after awhile. She picks up her seeds and sits on the ledge and taps the window while she eats them. She also likes to sit on the side view mirror on the pick up truck and tap at her reflection. We have named her Lucy- as in "crazy red head":)
Event son will say "Lucy's here!" When we hear the familiar tapping sound:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '15

I know this is a little different, but I had birds ( woodpeckers) pecking at the wood eves and trim around the house. I hung a couple of suet feeders a few feet away on each side of the house and it worked like a charm. As long as they can get their food elsewhere they leave the house alone. Suet is cheap and last a long time, I replace them about every 4-6 weeks. The added benefit is the cats get to watch the birds and chirp back at them.

Tony n Tony n
Apr '15

Re: Bird pecking at window

Could be worse, Pavarotti over here likes to sing at the top of his lungs in front of my bedroom window every morning.

dang - I have pileated envy - you even got his tongue --- well done

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.