Man hit by car on Mountain Ave 4/15

I was driving through town tonight and was about 10 cars behind the scene. Does anyone know if the man is okay? The cop had just shown up and he was still laying in the middle of the road :\ it was horrifying.

jett37
Apr '15

Is he the guy that was riding a bike and got hit? My girlfriend was taking a walk and saw it happen.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

Not really sure, I did not see a bike when I drove by and he was in the middle of the road.

jett37
Apr '15

from the Hackettstown Police facebook page this morning: "On 4/15/15 at approx 7:39PM the Hackettstown Police and the Hackettstown Rescue Squad responded to the intersection on Rt182 and Victoria Lane in reference to a car vs pedalcyclist crash. Through an investigation it was determined that 31yro Amanda Conklin of Independence Twp, NJ was in a 2013 Dodge and stopped on Victoria Lane, waiting to make a right hand turn onto Rt182 southbound. Jose Hernandez, 37yro, of Hackettstown, NJ was on a bicycle traveling northbound in the southbound shoulder. Amanda turned right onto Rt182 southbound and then Jose hit her vehicle. Jose complained of a head injury and was transported to Morristown Medical Center. No summonses were issued in the crash. Assisting at the scene was the Hackettstown Fire Police, Mansfield Twp Police and the St Clares Medic Unit."

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '15

Why would the guy on the bike just assume he can just ride through in front of the car? Pedestrians just automatically assume they can go. I know it was dark when it happened, so she probably didn't see him. If it were me on the bike I would have stopped to make sure I am seen.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

7:39 was pretty much right at sunset; it was still pretty light out. But he should have gotten a ticket for riding northbound in the southbound shoulder. Bicyclists are supposed to ride with traffic, not against it.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

Then I guess he'd been lying there for a bit when I found out. It was like 8pm when I was told.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

did they do a tox screen on the driver? Her name has been in the news a lot lately

njlawyer njlawyer
Apr '15

I thought that name sounded familiar.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '15

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime-and-courts/police-blotters/aim-vernon-police-blotter-feb-13-2015-1.1270658

On Jan. 31, 2015, Ptl. Jason Mangano responded to a call in which Amanda Conklin, 31, of Vernon, had allegedly taken her mother's vehicle. A subsequent police investigation soon discovered Conklin had several warrants for her arrest and the vehicle's license plate was distributed to additional agencies. Later in the day, Conklin was stopped by West Milford Police. Conklin was retrieved by Vernon Police and subsequent to her arrest, Conklin was discovered to allegedly be in possession of three folds of heroin. Conklin was arrested by Ptl. Mangano for unlawful taking of means of conveyance and possession of CDS, and was served with the additional warrants by Ptl. Adam Kraus. Conklin was lodged in Sussex County Jail in default of bail.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime-and-courts/police-blotters/ringwood-police-blotter-nov-26-2014-1.1141826

The Vernon woman, Amanda Conklin, age 31, informed police that there was drug paraphernalia in her purse and hypodermic syringes in the truck, and in the purse police found two silver caps and one clear cap, each wrapped up and containing pieces of cotton with heroin residue, said police.
Conklin also allegedly handed over to police a sunglass case with two hypodermic syringes and two cotton swabs. "The syringes appeared to have been used and there was some suspected heroin residue in the syringes," states a police report.
Through their investigation, police determined that both Brightman and Conklin had active arrest warrants from Paterson Municipal Court and that Brightman had a suspended license.
Conklin was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a hypodermic syringe, while Brightman was charged hindering apprehension, being an unlicensed driver, suspended license, and loud exhaust.

darwin darwin
Apr '15

Cyclists can be a hazard. I had to move into the oncoming lane to give one enough room yesterday. He was in full pro gear but yet was riding against the traffic. He should no better.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '15

I had three cyclists right up behind me last night at about the same time. I was doing the speed limit on a curvy back road and was nervous as hell with the way they were so close to my back bumper. Think Marty on his skateboard close. All I needed was a deer suddenly crossing and it could have gotten bad fast. There are some cyclists who are great at cycling with traffic, then there are other who think the rules don't apply to them.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '15

Doesn't Hackettstown have enough police?Why did Mansfield Police have to show up for a bicycle accident?

cb750 cb750
Apr '15

Bicycle's DO NOT belong on roads that motorized vehicles utilize ( and pay for thru their registrations fees )

If cyclist want to use the same roads, they should be mandated to carry insurance, pay regisration fee's , be mandated to carry liability insurance , ALWAYS wear reflective vests, safety glasses, helmets and have visible Identifcation tags on all of their bicycles.....They are a pure liability to all motorists on the road .

If they wish to ride for excercise, they should go to the local track and request permission to ride around that, where they would be much safer and not putting other's in danger .

Why do we have to register our vehicles, have them inspected and pay for insurance to use the roads, but they do not ?

Steven Steven
Apr '15

Dawn and Dusk. Worst time to be a driver or a guy on a bike.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '15

Isn't the law that bicycles ride on the shoulder of the road, going the same direction as traffic? Against the law to ride on the sidewalks? I saw a "professional" bicyclist the other day riding with the traffic, in the travel lanes, not on shoulder and when they got to the light at Allen Rd and Rt 57, they stopped for the red light, just like the cars and then continued when the light turned green. On Rt 57 the shoulder is so small, that they do end up coming into the road. Very dangerous!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Apr '15

I do know someone - bike rider- who did get a ticket from the police for doing just that. In hackettstown years ago.

A good day
Apr '15

go ride a bike Steven
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzbvQMWd0es

kepa
Apr '15

Amanda Conklin of Independence, NOT of Vernon. I passed through the scene, and it was definitely NOT DARK. A large tractor trailer truck was even pulled over. There were witnesses. The bike HIT the car, not the other way around.

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Apr '15

And.....that is why you must ride in the same direction as traffic. He deserves a summons for causing the accident. Cyclists must follow the same laws as motorists. Bet he rides at night with no lights on too. See that all the time. And cb750, pedestrian/cyclist accidents are potentially fatal. Sorry you think having additional manpower to assist with directing traffic on a busy road while they investigate a possible fatal accident is overkill. Perhaps when you are lying mortally wounded on the pavement they will send only the bare minimum to assist you in your moment of need.

Bruin Bruin
Apr '15

Sounds like that rider was obeying traffic laws while making themselves visible, bothered.
39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

NJ 39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

kepa
Apr '15

kepa, from your own citation: "Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic."

From the police report: :Jose Hernandez, 37yro, of Hackettstown, NJ was on a bicycle traveling northbound in the southbound shoulder."

Confused how you thought the rider was therefore obeying traffic laws.

Bruin Bruin
Apr '15

enough with all this bickering.does anyone know if this man is okay?

nogo
Apr '15

Bruin, he was talking about the bicyclist that botheredbyu was complaining about for riding in the roadway instead of the shoulder.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

I wasn't complaining. I was making an observation. Not a problem with what the bicyclist was doing, ianimal. I just said it can be dangerous. I was actually surprised that he WAS obeying the law. Most don't.

Apr '15

kepa.....I have a bicycle and I DO NOT ride on a main thorofare , traveling in the opposite direction of what the law states. I do know the laws, the ones that do not abide should have their bicycles taken and crushed for scrap, making the roads safer for all.
( a great incentive for them to actually study the laws )

Additionally I have several vehicles, including motorcycles..ALL of which are required to be:
A) registered with the state
( they take "road use taxes from these fee's )
B) Auto insurance ( INCLUSIVE OF liability coverage )
C) I have a driver's license ( which currently requires me to wear glasses if deemed so and pass a test confirming I am well versed in the laws and proper operation of said vehicles ) , not inclusive of additional endorsement's ( ie; cdl ) ...all of which fee's are paid.

AND: I am accountable for all these things BEFORE I can put any vehicle on any road, otherwise, I am subject to fee's and potential revocation of these "entitlements" I worked, studied and paid for.
SO please; HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND WHY A BICYCLIST IS EXEMPT .
In these tough economic times, how is it, that bicyclist ( including myself ) , are exempt from the same amount of accountability of all the other vehicles on the roads ???

It is a long over due issue that need's to be urgently addressed in this state.
The state parks , tracks and playgrounds at schools are a much more practical place for these people ...not in traffic with cars , trucks and motorcycles.

Steven Steven
Apr '15

"SO please; HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND WHY A BICYCLIST IS EXEMPT ."

Because a bicycle doesn't have a motor. The same reason you don't need to register and insure most canoes, the way you do motor boats.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

DARWIN

Before you start posting news articles about someone, you should at least make sure you have the right person.

I don't think you would like to be thought of as a heroin addict in the public eye if you really aren't one.

Amanda Conklin from VERNON is NOT the Amanda Conklin from INDEPENDENCE who happened to be the driver in this accident.

You really need to delete your post since it has nothing to do with this accident.

Just Me
Apr '15

Steven: "The state parks , tracks and playgrounds at schools are a much more practical place for these people ...not in traffic with cars , trucks and motorcycles."

I rode my bicycle to work today. 8 miles, rush hour, inadequate shoulder most of the way, no bike lanes anywhere, no problem. Other drivers are kind and wait until it is safe to pass. Big deal! I rode the middle of the lane on a 40mph road, like I do every day. No problem. You don't think I should be riding to work? I am a responsible adult w/ a family, I take my safety very seriously. I am not a daredevil!

Take a look at this link, It will answer a lot of your questions: http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

Careless or reckless motorists are a danger to everyone, while careless or reckless bicyclists are mostly a danger to themselves. If bicyclists should be required to be licensed, then so should pedestrians, as they pose about the same danger to others.

Cyclo Cyclo
Apr '15

So, there are two people named Amanda Conklin who are exactly the same age and live within what, 25-30 miles of each other? That's a pretty big coincidence and I feel bad for the law abiding one. I'm sure it's a much bigger problem for her in real-life than a post on HLF. Imagine if you're trying to get a job...

Do you know for a fact that it's two different people or are you just assuming that because of the two different towns listed? People DO move... especially when they get a little too well-known to the local police department.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

Just Me

if you know for a fact that they are not the same Amandas than I apologize and will ask the moderator to delete my post, since I can't.

darwin darwin
Apr '15

"Do you know for a fact that it's two different people or are you just assuming that because of the two different towns listed? People DO move... especially when they get a little too well-known to the local police department."

My thoughts exactly.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

Cyclo...
pedestrians have "designated " crosswalks to walk in. Where is the designated lane on Mountain Avenue ?? ....I don't see how the 2 are similiar .
Bicyclist's DO NOT have designated bike lanes on county roads ( ie; 604 / waterloo road with a 40 mph speed limit ) ...can't count the number of times a bicyclist is out in the road and a vehicle is traveling from opposite direction ...a light beep on the horn so they know there is a car behind them, generates the "finger' wave from the cyclist ...This very responsible indeed.

One of the points I am making is that there are irresponsible cyclists , just as much as people in vehicles, the laws need to apply to all, not selectively.

By the way , you do not belong in the open lane of any road with a 40 mph desination...that sir is not the actions of an educated family man , but completely reckless with regard for yourself and others safety.
This is why registration plates need to be mandated, then this type of behavior can be reported for this carelessness and reckless operation., and be provide the "opportunity to explain to a judge "why you believed you are entitled to delay the flow of traffic on a road with a 40 m.ph. designation"..perhaps they will reduce the speed limit just to acomodate you ( but I doubt it ) .

Steven Steven
Apr '15

Some towns have bicycle lanes and it's great for the cyclists. NJ does have them, but not here. My daughter was riding to the right of the white line (with traffic) and was hit in broad daylight, even though she had the blinking light and yellow clothing. The driver was charged with inattentive driving. She was also wearing a helmet, but still wound up loosing her leg. Of course the driver said he wasn't texting, talking on the phone, smoking, or drinking coffee. She rode her bike to work daily till then. (she has since ridden to work)

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '15

Steven, as a responsible driver you should know a honk gets you the finger because an overtaking vehicle is required to yield to slower vehicles and only pass when it is safe. Taking the lane on a 40mph road with no shoulder is absolutely within my rights and is much safer than cowering on the side of the road. I do it everyday for miles and would have no problem explaining the law to the cops or a judge. I really don't care that you find it dangerous, we each have different ideas of what is risky.... I think you are a wildman for riding a motorcycle, I would never do that!

Cyclo Cyclo
Apr '15

NJ 39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.

Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

So, "taking the lane" when there is no hazardous condition on the rightmost portion of the road (even one without a wide shoulder), and you are not traveling at the same speed as traffic, is against the law.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Ms Fishy - sorry to hear that about your daughter.

Apr '15

Thank you BBY. She, fortunately is doing great. Racing bicycles, and she is on a National Paralympic triathlon team. (she also speaks to other amputees about getting their lives back through athletics.) Life is what you make it.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '15

“as far as practicable” means essentially “as far as is safe.” In a narrow lane I do not find it safe to ride to the right.

Cyclo Cyclo
Apr '15

Because a bicycle doesn't have a motor. The same reason you don't need to register and insure most canoes, the way you do motor boats. ianimal

Seems to me it's time for cyclists to share in the expense if they want to have the same rights as licensed, insured drivers, traveling on roads that are unsafe. Who ends up paying his medical bills?

hhs75
Apr '15

From NJDOT website:

Q. Where do I ride if there is no shoulder or bike lane and the travel lane is too narrow to share?
A.
The best approach is to position yourself several feet out into the lane where motorists will see you and not be invited to squeeze by in the same lane. On narrower lanes, ten feet or less, a bicyclist might actually "take the lane", i.e., position themselves at or near the center of the lane. This enables them to be seen by overtaking vehicles and gives the message that the overtaking vehicle must move left to pass when it is safe to do so.

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/commuter/bike/faqs.shtm

Cyclo Cyclo
Apr '15

"On narrower lanes, ten feet or less, a bicyclist might actually "take the lane", i.e., position themselves at or near the center of the lane."

I would hardly consider a 40MPH road to be a "narrow lane"...

The standard lane width in NJ is between 12 and 15 feet, so even if you were "several feet" off the white line, you'd still be in the rightmost 1/3 of the lane.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/eng/documents/RDM/sec5.shtm#lanewidths

5.3 Lane Widths

Lane widths have a great influence on driving safety and comfort. The predominant lane width on freeways and land service highways is 12 feet.
While lane widths of 12 feet are desirable on land service highways, circumstances may necessitate the use of lanes less than 12 feet. Lane widths of 11 feet in urban areas are acceptable. Existing lane widths of 10 feet have been provided in certain locations where right of way and existing development became stringent controls and where truck volumes were limited. However, new or reconstructed 10 foot wide lanes would not be proposed today, except in traffic calming areas.
On land service highways, where it is not practical to provide a shoulder adjacent to the outside lane, the outside lane width shall be 15 feet to accommodate bicyclists. Where alternate bike access is provided, the outside lane width should be 1 foot wider than the adjacent through lane width. The designer should strive to accommodate the bicyclist and pedestrian on all projects.
When resurfacing existing highways that have lane widths of 10 feet or less, the existing lanes should be widened to either 11 foot minimum or 12 foot desirable.
Auxiliary lanes at intersections are often provided to facilitate traffic movements. Such lanes should be equal in width to the through lanes but not less than 10 foot wide when constructed adjacent to a shoulder. When there is no right shoulder adjacent to a new or reconstructed auxiliary lane, the width of the auxiliary lane shall be designed to accommodate the bicyclist. Where alternate bike access is provided, the auxiliary lane width should be 1 foot wider than the adjacent through lane width. The criteria in this paragraph shall also apply to auxiliary lanes at interchanges on land service highways.
On Interstates and freeways, the width of the auxiliary lane shall be 12 feet. Lane widths for specific types of highways are enumerated as part of the typical sections illustrated at the end of this section.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Cyclo,

I have logged aover 100,000 + miles on my motorcycles over the years , without incident.
I attribute that to constant awareness and continual emphasis on safety and never dropping my guard. ( and of course , oversight from the folks above ! :-)

I challenge my skillset almost daily, always check my equipment , my gear and always check "again".
I do not "commute" with any of my motorcycles, there is no value in using a 50+ mpg vehicle in an enviroment that is sure to get me an ambulance ride and God knows what else.
In my experience, the majority of bicyclist's do not know the law or the common courtesy's of the road, or just choose to ignore them. I have witnessed ( more than a few times ) persons on bicycles approach an intersection where the light is red, slow down, then bolt thru the intersection with no regard of consequence's. Go over to Schooley's mtn. by patriot path , watch the arrogance of the person's that just roll out into the road ( with their entitlement attitude ) in front of cars , what a disgracfull way to show children how to behave ! What will happen if the brakes fail on the car or the driver is texting or on a cell phone ??
The system is fragmented and needs desperately to be realigned .
Laws need to be enforced for everyone, so we are all safe.
People on phones should have their license suspended the 1 time for 6 months ( that is a real deterent )
Bicyclist should have their bikes impounded with a $200.00 fine when they are found to be riding on roads exceeding 35 m.p.h ( that is the law for golf carts and they go quite faster that a bicycle, so I would think that is more than reasonable ) .
If everyone just used common sense and simple consideration, we would all be much safer.

Steven Steven
Apr '15

another f.y.i.
"frequently asked q & a's " are not the actual law.

Steven Steven
Apr '15

Re: Man hit by car on Mountain Ave 4/15

'"frequently asked q & a's " are not the actual law."

Exactly. In certain cases (such as very narrow lanes) the center may be the safest place. But that's why the law says the rider shall (not "should") be as near to the right as "practicable" barring any obvious hazards. If it's safe to ride to the right, you have to stay to the right regardless of what the rider prefers.

If you can't ride within 2-3 feet of the white line because you're afraid that you''ll crash/weave into the non-existent shoulder or hazard, maybe you shouldn't be sharing the road with 3 ton automobiles unless you can keep pace at the speed limit.

I've managed to ride pretty ill-handling (for street use) mountain bikes along Waterloo Road sticking to the right hand side out of traffic's way, so someone as experienced as you could certainly manage to do the same.

(Image from http://njbikeped.org/whats-the-law-anyway-a-quick-guide-to-new-jersey-bicycle-and-pedestrian-laws-2012/ )

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Mark,
There are some great area's off of waterloo road for the mountain bike

Steven Steven
Apr '15

I know. Used to ride dirt bikes all around there. Rode the Stephens side for fun and Allamuchy side in the Ridge Run enduro.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

nice !

Steven Steven
Apr '15

"Do you know for a fact that it's two different people or are you just assuming that because of the two different towns listed? People DO move... especially when they get a little too well-known to the local police department."

Do you know for a fact that it isn't or are you just assuming it is?

Before you post information about a heroin addict, you really need to know the facts first. Can't take it back after the fact.

It may very well be the same person but we don't know that, do we?

Just Me
Apr '15

No we don't...Which is why it is pointless to keep going back and forth with "Do you know for a fact it's the same person?" VS. "Do you know for a fact it isn't?"
chances are....

and quite honestly even if it wasn't do you think having the name posted here on a local town forum will ruin her life? It's not like there aren't other people that have shared the same name with a person that has a less than stellar record. I wonder how many Bill Smith's or Tom Jones are out there? Surely at least one of them has been in trouble a time or two.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.