Waterloo Rd. Frog Crossing 3/26

The frog whisperers are back on Waterloo Road assisting the little hoppy guys get to the river side. Be careful on Waterloo in the area of Continental. They will walk in front of a moving car to make sure the frogs get to the side safely.

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Mar '15

What? Lol

YES! I witnessed this last year as I was driving down Waterloo.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Mar '15

My boyfriend just got home and I asked him he said like 15 people there. I had a good laugh, really thought this was a joke lol

It's a real thing, Nik! There's usually a small article in a NJ paper about it. It's a group of individuals who help some amphibian(s) cross safely to the other side. If I remember correctly from previous years, the amphibians cross the road to breed in a particular spot. I thought I recalled something about endangered salamanders, but regardless if it's a frog or a salamander, how wonderful that these people are willing to stand in the rain for several nights every Spring to shepherd the little guys across.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '15

Frogs are amazing little creatures.
They breathe through their skin, and they don't drink water with their mouth, but absorb water through their skin.

hapiest girl
Mar '15

Wow, that's really cool that they do this! Remember the good old days, back in the ancient 70's, when little baby frogs were jumping all over the woods? How about box turtles? I used to see one every week, and help it continue to the other side... in the same direction it was heading. Now they are almost all gone:(

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Mar '15

Just got home from this a little while ago. It was wet and chilly!

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '15

Bless you, gadfly. My daughter has helped with this many times. so many are at risk now, we need to give them all the help we can. sallysimpson, box turtles are actually a protected species now as there are so few left.

Dansker Dansker
Mar '15

Gadfly, are you assisting frogs or salamanders? In the dark, wet it is hard to tell.

Mar '15

I remember a few years ago driving on that road, and there were dead frogs everywhere. It was a massacre. Actually kind of disturbing to be honest.

Buddy Buddy
Mar '15

Would love to help with this. Where would I find out details?

This volunteer effort is organized and run by the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife's Endangered and Non-Game Species Program. If you are interested, you can start by filling out this application and emailing or mailing it in. You could also call the ENSP's office and ask about this project. People work in three hour shifts. You help get frogs and salamanders safely across the road, and collect data. There will be additional volunteer opportunities, probably several nights through the spring depending on weather conditions.

Andrew's mom - frogs and salamanders.

gadfly gadfly
Mar '15

Thank you, Gadfly!

People walking in front of moving cars to help frogs cross the road? Sounds intelligent! About as smart as sticking a fork in a light socket.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '15

I've seen it both as a driver and a volunteer. I'd say the volunteers less of a hazard then your typical nighttime pedestrians.

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '15

the typical night time pedestrian in not in a group of people and actively jumping out in the road to save frogs, just sayin

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Yeah, I don't think "actively jumping" is a good description, just saying. These folks have flashlights, reflective vests, traffic cones, and warning signs, and they are paying attention to traffic. That's a big step up from jaywalkers on main street. I saw one person walk in front of a car that was crawling along. He shouldn't have done that and he was corrected by the organizer.

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '15

Someone asked me for more information on volunteering. Here's the link to the volunteer application:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/wcc_appl.pdf

I would also suggest calling the Div of Fish and Wildlife's Endangered and Nongame Species Program to let them know that you want to help with this project. Here's the number for that office: 609-292-9400.

Good luck!

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '15

04/07/15 - The Amphibian crossing guards are out tonight. A lot of volunteers, but I did not see any critters on the road. Is the season just about over?

Apr '15

There are various species and they move at different times. The original post on this thread was the first event of the season with the early species. I'm not sure, but I would bet there is a few more weeks at least before the later species move.

gadfly gadfly
Apr '15

I just helped 4 turtles and 6 frogs across my road while walking the dog. One of the turtles got a shower from my Rocko! OOPS! Lots of snakes also.

Christine Christine
Apr '15

These folks were out on Waterloo the other night..........There was 1 traffic cone between between about 8 of them that I saw over a distance of about 300 yards on both sides of the road.
While I applaud their efforts, they are quite neglectful of their own safety as well as drivers traveling this road when dark.

I would believe if this cannot be done safely, the means does not justify putting themselves in danger or the unsuspecting people driving the road .
Why isn't more safety emphasized ?
Seems to me that common sense would dictate they have more cones or flags warning to "slow down", or at a minimum, "men at work" signage.
I imagine that will be addressed "after" someone is hit, or an unsupecting driver comes around a curve and goes off the road .

Steven Steven
Apr '15

Does this group get approval to do this event on a active roadway?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

pretty cool idea until i saw the cost... $90k wow

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2015/06/bedminster_unveils_underground_tunnel_to_help_anim.html#incart_river

darwin darwin
Jun '15

Bedminster can afford it. Its is a cool idea though.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '15

Time for the amphibian crossing guards! Lots of people, well lit and organized, only a couple of critters.

Drive cautiously!,

Mar '17

thanks for the alert Andrew'smom

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '17

Stay safe Frog Guardians!

Wendy Wendy
Mar '17

We were on Andover-Mohawk Road heading towards Hackettstown and had a hard time driving because so many frogs were crossing the road Sat. night. It was unbelievable. When we got to Waterloo Road, we saw the frog helpers. Way to go frog guardians! The frogs need you on Andover-Mohawk Rd. too.

observer3 observer3
Mar '17

I've seen them out there, they have vests on. (the people)
Are they going from the mountain to the river? Or from the river to breed somewhere else and then back again? (the frogs)

hktownie hktownie
Mar '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.