Best french fries in Hackettstown?

My girlfriend and I are severely craving french fries. Me because I'm moody, my girlfriend because she has her time of the month. LOL.

Where is the best place to get french fries in Hackettstown? We're looking for tasty ones. We've had River Star Diner's... But those, are, for the most part, plain.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Mar '15

Wendys

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Mar '15

arby's cheesy fries with a jamocha shake

brown bear
Mar '15

Bea McNallys Waffle Fries

Greener Pastures Greener Pastures
Mar '15

C&L subs on main street.

Leo's.

If you want to travel about 20 mi, Humpty Junior on 46 in Delaware. Great cajun or Old Bay seasoning. Ask for a chili cheeseburger, double chili with jalapeno. Then say "to go" and watch the cook cringe. ;-)

Fries are like pizza though - some like them thick amd soft like steak fries, others want long, thin and crispy shoe string style. What places we like may not be so great depending on your tastes.

PS. Both places I mentioned have great onion rings. Gotta try those while you're there.

I'm looking for normal sized fries that are double fried and salty. Lol.

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Mar '15

Dairy Queen has the best. Burger King second.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Mar '15

Hot dog johnnies are by far the best fries around

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '15

Seconded for Humpty's.

Stella G's had pretty tasty fries last I remember.

fuji
Mar '15

Bea McNallys French Fries with Blue cheese and truffle oil...To die for!

Sambro1031
Mar '15

I go with Wendys

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Mar '15

You will have to leave Hackettstown.
I like Budd Lake Diner. Regular Diner fries that are not abused.
Never heard of double fried. You can request it and they will make it for you.

Brian Catanzaro Brian Catanzaro
Mar '15

Funny you bring this up today. This place just opened up in the Lehigh Valley Mall yesterday or the day before... double fried and perfectly salted, they say.

Jump in your car and go check it out and let me know how it is... thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/fritesllc

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

Most great fries are double fried. Fresh homemade.
1st time to cook the potatoe & then aloud to rest/ cool off.

2nd time fried to make them crisp

Frozen French fries have been cook 1 time already then flash frozen.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '15

Salt in Byram:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '15

Best bet, spend the money (< $40) for a medium sized deep fryer like a FryDaddy on Amazon. We use ours at least twice a week. Get russet potatoes in the grocery store, they seem to make the best fries. Peel them or not, your choice. Cut them to the size you like, rinse them in cold water in a bowl, changing the water a couple of times until the water is clear. Keep them in the water until time to cook them.

Drain the fries, place on a couple of thicknesses of paper towel and pat dry. If they are wet going into the oil it will bubble over as the water will instantly boil off.

Make sure the oil is good and hot. This takes at least 15 minutes. When hot enough, a single fry dropped in should instantly sizzle and float to the top.

DO NOT ADD TOO MUCH AT ONCE. Too much added at once will drop the oil temperature too much. Better to fry in smaller batches.

Once the fries have just started to turn color (the outside will appear "crispy") remove them from the oil. Use a rack over paper towels so they don't lay directly on the oil-soaked paper. Allow the oil to reheat for at least five minutes, then re-fry until desired crispiness and color is reached.

Season them as soon as they come out of the hot oil for best flavor.

One last thing: Deep fryers without a basket (like the FryDaddy) come with a plastic slotted spoon for removal. Forget that, it traps too much oil and transfers that to the cooling rack. Invest in an oriental-type strainer (wire mesh on a bamboo handle) for less than $10 as the wire does not trap all that extra oil.

JerryG JerryG
Mar '15

I agree JerryG. For the very best fries, make your own. We do from time to time and they are very good.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Mar '15

Leo's flaky fries are the best, but I've also gotten some pretty boring steak fries. Wendy's are the best in the fast food category, and much better during the dinner time rush. Late night or during the day they sit around too long.

Hot Dog Johnny's has great fries too, crisp golden brown, light and flaky. I could eat way too many of them though.

Friday's a few exits away and G&S (In Newton) have bacon cheese fries that are just great!

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '15

Try Tony's Luncheonette, you will be surprised. (Rt. 57 in front of Weis Market, across from Bottle King)

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Mar '15

Five Guys fries are double fried.

Locally I like DQ and Applebees.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Mar '15

Five Guys are good, and they do fit the bill as salty and normal cut.

I like Tony's and C&L in that order after Leo's. Have some fun, try them all. ;-)

Kind of weird that a Belgian fries place exploded in Manhattan today and is burning down 3 buildings. I think I will stick to Johnnies.

Redwing
Mar '15

Best is fresh cut and then fry in canola oil. You can do it yourself and it is healthy in moderation...

JP Kelly's!

HT456 HT456
Mar '15

JP 's has the best onion rings too!! Just outside of Hackettstown

HT456 HT456
Mar '15

niles on 517 across from Quick Chek.

Tbone
Mar '15

Johnny's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( as in Hot Dog...)

justsayin justsayin
Mar '15

Another vote for Hot Dog Johnny's fries! Always hot and crispy goodness! (And salted JUST right too).

Thirded for humpty juniors, they are excellent fries!

Brendan Brendan
Mar '15

Hot Dog Johnny's.

My favorite fries are the truffle blue cheese fries at bea mcnally's. They're fantastic.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Mar '15

I don't eat white potatoes anymore BUT when I have a craving for French fries I get sweet potato fries at Riverside Diner. They are crunchy on the outside and perfect on the inside. They stay crunchy til I get home for take out. Perfectly salted too!

Christine Christine
Mar '15

Not near here, but Red Robin has great fries. Free refills too.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Mar '15

Christine, the next time you get diner fries (or any take out fries), ask them to pack them separate in a paper bag. They stay warmer and don't get all soggy from the Styrofoam or plastic. Yum, fries!!!

auntiel auntiel
Mar '15

Its a rare occasion for us but good to know auntiel!

Christine Christine
Mar '15

The fries they serve at Meza House are to die for.

DrLAF DrLAF
Mar '15

The best fries were at the Golden skillet but they are gone now a long with the Orange pit who had good fries

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Mar '15

I agree that Tony's Luncheonette has the best fries!!!

Sara3
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.